Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Copycat Chocolate Brownie VitaMuffins

Copycat Chocolate VitaTop muffins.

There’s a giant box of VitaMuffins in my kitchen.

And it is not my fault.

In fact, I’ve never tried a VitaMuffin in my life. The giant box belongs to my roommate, who would eat deep chocolate vitatops every single day if they weren’t so expensive ($17 for twelve muffin tops?!). She’s always asking me to “please come up with a copycat recipe so I can stop giving Costco all my money.” And therefore, I dedicate the following recipe to her:

Copycat chocolate chip brownie vitamuffins  Copycat Chocolate VitaTops.

Copycat chocolate vitamuffin tops: healthy enough for breakfast.

And decadent enough for dessert.

homemade vitamuffins

Muffin Monster.

Spawn of Cookie Monster.

Copycat Chocolate Brownie Vitamuffin Tops.

Copycat Chocolate VitaTops

(makes 12)

• 2 tbsp milk of choice (30g)
  • 2 tbsp oil, or 2 more tbsp milk of choice (30g)
  • 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 1 tbsp ground flax (6g) or 1 tsp energ powder (Can omit; they will just be a little denser.)
  • 1/2 cup pureed prunes or pumpkin (120g)
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour (all-purpose flour works too, and a reader says you can use Bob’s gf mix.) (65g)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 2 tbsp xylitol or sugar (25g)
  • 1 to 2 more tbsp sugar or 1 to 2 nunaturals stevia packets (scant 1/16 tsp uncut) (Add 1 tbsp if using prunes, 2 if using the pumpkin.)
  • highly recommended: 1/4 cup chocolate chips or mini chips (mixed into the batter)
  • optional: 2-4 chocolate chips per muffin, for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a standard-sized muffin pan. In a mixing bowl, combine first 5 ingredients and whisk. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except the decoration ingredient, and stir well. Now mix wet into dry and stir until just combined. Don’t over-mix. Distribute batter evenly among 12 muffin cups, and—if desired—place two or three chocolate chips on the top of each muffin. Bake 12 minutes, then allow to cool 5-10 minutes before removing from the muffin tins.

View Nutrition Facts

vegan vitamuffins

Is it just me, or does my chocolate VitaTop look like a Pacman ghost?

Question of the Day:

Have you ever tried a VitaMuffin?

Do you think they’re good enough to be worth the expensive price tag?

Link of the Day:

chocolate frozen yogurt

…….Brownie Batter Frozen Yogurt

Tags: , , , ,

1. I have never tried VitaMuffins before, but on the huge muffins you can buy at the store I only eat the top off them anyways so I can’t wait to try this recipe! It looks delicious! :)

2. I’ve been able to make a fux vitatop with PB2 but haven’t been able to find a good recipe to recreate the chocolate ones (my favorite!) Can’t wait to try this!

1. Nina says:

Hi!! Could you share your PB recipe??

3. Picky Nicky says:

I love vitatops too but I can agree that they are ridiculously expensive!!!

4. I’ve never tried a vitamuffin either, and in fact I’m not the biggest fan of muffins in general (besides the rare blueberry muffin from a bakery before I was vegan). But these are chocolate, and they don’t look quite like muffins, so I think these will be a win for me! I’m always looking for easy snacks and chocolate is ALWAYS a good choice! Your photos are beautiful, too!

5. Thank you for this!! I too enjoy the Vitatops but find them outrageously expensive! If I try out this method apparently I can save some dough and eat it too 😉 Since clearly when I bake it never ALL ends up in the oven…

6. I’ve never had a vitamuffin, packaged baked goods never really appealed to me, plus they aren’t gluten free!

7. Kelly says:

Vita tops are okay… great if you need a low-cal desserty snack but if you have the time you can always make a better tasting, full-sized muffin for the same calories.

8. Carolyn says:

I LOVE those things to no end!
    But they’re too darn pricey

9. caterina says:

It looks delicious!!! I was wondering, though, what exactly prune puree is: I have dried prunes, can I just blend them? Do I nedd to add water and, if so, how much do you suggest?

1. You can google how to make your own, or you can actually (oddly enough) look for something like Gerber baby food prune puree.

10. I’ll be making these tonight! I just polished off my brownies so this is wonderful!

I’ve never tried a vitamuffin but have seen them at costco plenty!

11. Katherine Rowe says:

I have never tried Vita Muffins because they aren’t gluten free, but I have always wanted to! I’m so excited to try this recipe!

12. Laura says:

I’d never heard of a Vita Top before, and had to do a web search to find out what it is. I can’t imagine I’d ever want to buy a pre-packaged baked good, but your homemade version looks pretty.

13. Rachel says:

Oooo I’ve been wanting to try Vitatops but they’re so expensive! I made your sugar cookie oatmeal the other day and oh goodness…I couldn’t even finish half the bowl before I was full to bursting! I also made it with True Blueberry tea and added bananas (banana blueberry bread flavor…yum) and then Cinnamon Apple Spice with apples I had baked in the microwave with cinnamon and splenda. Amazing!

14. HilJo says:

I do not mean to be rude at all–I ask this out of curiosity, not to be malicious, but how do you know it is copycat recipe if you havent tried the original? Does your roommate taste the batter and tell you “it needs more sugar” etc or do you just wing it and she tastes the end result? It seems it would be difficult to make a copycat recipe of something you havent eaten. (again, I dont want to be mean, rude, or anything like that I was just curious HOW you go about making something you have not tasted the original!)

I am sure that they are very tasty–I mean it is pretty hard to go wrong with chocolate :)

1. It’s definitely a good question! Initially I was simply going for chocolate muffin tops. I figured the taste of a chocolate muffin top would probably be pretty standard. But yes, I did then rely on my roommate to tell me how they compared to the real Vitamuffins. :)

1. HilJo says:

Thanks for responding! :) And that makes total sense–a good job for your roommate!

15. Claire Elizabeth says:

Oh my goodness, Katie, I made these already and they are so yummy! I love that they’re so healthy, too! Another fantastic recipe! Thanks so much, Katie!

16. Fran says:

I have never had a Vita Muffin before. Seeing the price tag just turns me off immediately. Why pay that much for a muffin when it’s so easy to make your own?

I saw that I had all the ingredients to make these, so they were made this morning. Delicious! My brother liked them too :).

17. Jessica Gebbink says:

This are SOO good! Love the light fluffy consistency and just the right amount of chocolate. I thought they were moist and delicious. Didn’t change a think and used the oil and spelt flour.

1. So glad they turned out well!

18. Ange says:

I made this today, except I made it into a cake :) Added a bit extra milk, stevia and cocoa (and of course used chocolate chips) and it tasted just like those chocolate molten type cakes. Very yummy!

19. Marta Brysha says:

hi Katie, this recipe looks great. Did you know that xylitol is toxic to dogs? I am a veterinarian and so my information here is solid. A dog that ate just 6 muffins made with xylitol rapidly went into liver failure. Perhaps you might consider using erythritol instead? It is not toxic to humans or animals.

1. uhhhh says:

what a bizarre comment. Did the post mention anything about feeding these muffins to a dog!? Am I missing something?

Chocolate is toxic too but I don’t stop baking with it.

1. Marta Brysha says:

I agree that you wouldn’t stop baking with chocolate and I’m not recommending you feed it to dogs, I guess I mention it only because very few pet owners are aware of this problem and xylitol is a very easy ingredient to substitute. It wasn’t at all meant to sound judgemental. As a dog owner I know that dogs are very clever at stealing food that is not meant for them.

2. Hi Marta!

I do know it’s toxic to dogs, but I rarely give my dogs any “people” food (aside from raw veggies, which they adore). I definitely keep the xylitol–and the chocolate and raisins–far away from them.

2. Jordan says:

Huh. That would be news to the World Health Organization, which assembled the data from a number of empirical studies. These studies fed dogs a diet of up to 20% xylitol, for up to two years. The dogs in the studies didn’t die (until they had to be put down to examine them for the results :( ). I’ve read the “studies” which claim to show that xylitol killed dogs, but the anecdotal evidence those “studies” are based on include dogs who ate 100 pieces of gum (in which xylitol wasn’t the only sweetener) and the muffins you mention had chocolate frosting.

I wouldn’t recommend feeding xylitol to dogs, but this just isn’t backed by the science.

Of course, I certainly hope any dog lover would be smart enough not to feed chocolate chocolate-chip muffin tops to their dogs, regardless of what sweetener was in it.

20. Oh, those look good!
    But I never understood why people would make muffin tops if you can have a WHOLE muffin???

21. Mallory says:

I love VitaMuffins, but they ARE expensive, and now that I have to be Gluten Free, they aren’t on my menu. Let me add to your challenge, can you make these GF?

22. Elise says:

Thank you so much for putting this recipe together Katie!!! Like your roommate, I have spent far too many of my hard-earned dollars on the addictive chocolate VitaTops. I can’t wait to try this recipe :)

23. Trish says:

These look super delish! Can’t wait to try some (after I get over this wintertime cold). :) I have been looking high and low for a good vegan recipe of chocolate lava cakes….have you ever thought of making a good vegan lava cake recipe? Oooooo so delicious!!

1. I have a really good one, but it’s only for the crockpot right now. I need to work on an oven version for everyone who doesn’t own a slow cooker.

1. Grace says:

Hi Katie!

Would you mind posting your slowcooker recipe of that lava cake for now? Just until you make an oven version? I have a slow cooker and am obsessed with chocolatey lava cakes of all sorts! I would love to make it! :)

-Grace :)

P.S. These muffin tops look sooo good! Having a muffin top never looked so good! Hehe 😉 I will be making these soon!

2. Trish says:

Yes! Please post the one for the crock pot (or if it’s already posted, reply to this comment with the link to the recipe). Can’t wait until you come up with a single-serving recipe for chocolate lava cakes too! Yum Yum YUM!

24. Emily W says:

Oh my goodness! I LOVE chocolate Vitatops, and I hate spending money on them! You are awesome :-)

25. Erika says:

Thanks for another fabulous looking recipe, Katie! When you say spelt flour, did you use whole-grain or white? Does it matter? (I only have whole)

1. I used whole-grain, but I don’t see why white wouldn’t work as well.

26. Andrea says:

So, are they so expensive because they have added vitamins in them? I don’t understand why anyone would pay that amount for a pre packaged baked good.

1. Maya says:

People pay way too much for anything that says “lite” or “diet” or “100 calorie”!

27. Michelle says:

Maybe a silly question . . . do you use cupcake liners when making these, or spray with non stick spray right into the muffin pan? I do LOVE vitatops, they are so tasty. They have a banana choco chip flavor that is delish! I would imagine these are a bit smaller . . . so I’ll just have to eat 2 at a time! 😉

1. Nope, no liners. Just greased.

28. Laura says:

I tried vitamuffins before at my grandma’s house… They aren’t horrible, but they do IMO have an off taste to them and definitely don’t have the greatest nutrition/calorie count.

But these look really good, and now your roommate can stop giving all her money to Costco!

29. Jessica says:

I have purchased Vita Tops before but not in awhile because A) they are expensive and B) I’m not sure how they fit into the clean eating thing. Seeing this recipe was awesome! I am excited to pick up a few things I need to make my own.

30. jenny says:

ooh katie ur awesome! i just love ur website its totally super and i love reading ur posts u have such a sunny sweet and pleasant personality, Just reading ur blog always gets me to smile! just a stupid question how come u posted pictures only of the tops if they make whole muffins?

1. Nope, only makes muffin tops! :)

31. I’ve never had a Vitatop before, and I *can’t* understand the price! What’s all the rage about? These copycats look right up my alley though!

32. Vivien says:

Vitatop used to be stable snack of mine coz it’s convenient and healthier than other snacks out there, however, I dislike the price and wasn’t certain all the ingredients used is all healthy…this is a great invention that saved us all, thank you Katie~!!!

33. Carissa says:

Oh man, how I love VitaTops, this is soo perfect I cannot wait to try them! I’ve been making healthy breakfast cookies for breakfast everyday, and I’m starting to get sick of them so maybe I shall give these a try :)

34. Ruta says:

YUM! I’ve never had a VitaTop muffin, but thanks to this recipe I won’t have to. Judging by that price tag, I’m glad.

I also nominated your blog for an award. Here’s the link if you’d like to know more:

1. Thank you so much. I’m honored you even included me!

35. Beth says:

I used to eat at least one Vita Brownie (the pomegranate kind) before I was diagnosed with a gluten/egg/dairy intolerance. I am going to try them. Wondering what would make them more brownie-like? Thanks for the recipe :-)

36. Erin says:

Oh my goodness, these look so fantastic! I’ve never tried the VitaMuffins and don’t think I’ll ever need to thanks to this recipe. Can’t wait to bake me a batch of them :)

37. Kristie says:

Delicious! Didn’t even use any salt… used the pumpkin and Florida Crystal’s Natural Sugar (as well as almond milk and Smart Balance oil, Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder, spelt flour and Enjoy Life’s vegan chocolate chunks). These are a sinful tasting treat I can feel good about packing in my 5 year old’s lunchbox!

38. Rachel says:

My mom used to buy them…honestly I wasn’t too fond of them. I would much rather make my own healthier, low-calorie muffin. Thanks for the recipe!

39. BroccoliHut says:

I have indeed tried VitaMuffins, and I think you’re right–VERY expensive! I like the looks of this copycat recipe though–can’t wait to try it out!

40. Lacy says:

This seems quite similar to the crazy ingredient chocolate cake if made with pumpkin (which is my fav cake recipe and I like it better with cauliflower than pumpkin!) Is the flavour similar?
    I will try this one too with baby food prunes. :)

1. Katie Foster says:

cauliflower? tell me more…!

1. Lacy says:

The recipe is here:
        They are amazing! Especially with the Reeses Pieces Frosting.
        I’ve done them with raw cauliflower that I steamed first, but I don’t recommend it. I most likely just cooked it a bit too much, but while they still tasted great, they smelled quite bad (like a muffin with cauliflower lol). And definitely don’t leave out the choc. chips. :)

2. To answer your question, yes it’s similar… but these are less rich I think. More like muffins than cake (taste and texture-wise), if that makes sense.

41. Tash says:

These look soooo cute! Im going to try swap the pumpkin/prune for apples or banana, so i will let you know how they turn out!!

1. Tash says:

Oh could totally see these as a sandwich type treat filled with something amazing like PB mousse :)

42. Helen says:

I have tried vitatop muffins before and they are quite decent. I like that they are low calorie. They’re not worth the money though. The ones you make look delicious. I can’t wait to try making them.

43. Smileyboo says:

How insane! I actually just bought my first box yesterday, after contemplating buying a box every time I went to the grocery store for the past year. I am a banana freak, so I got the banana chocolate chip and they are the bomb dot com. So….fudge muffins for just starting a really expensive healthy habit. Grr.

44. Holly says:

Hi Katie, These look delicious! I haven’t tried the real ones, just waiting for your gf option! I have a question though, have you ever tried substituting protein powder for some of the flour in a recipe? I’d like to get some protein into my family’s breakfast but I wasn’t sure if that would work in baked goods. Thanks for all your terrific recipes; you’re the best!

1. Sorry, I haven’t. If you try it, be sure to report back :).

45. Kavli says:

Made these as soon as I saw them on FB today and my gosh, they are good! I didn’t add any oil, used Bob’s gluten free mix, soy milk for the milk, and didn’t leave the chocolate chips out. I ate three at a go – they were SO good. My 19month old toddler is on a wheat-free egg-free diet, so these were perfect for her. She ate a whole one on her own! Thanks Katie!

1. Thank you so much for trying them!

46. Andrea says:

I can honestly say I have never, ever heard of a VitaMuffin until now. However, these look delish!

47. kendra says:

You know what I like better already about your version??? They don’t have inulin in them! I get major stomach issues from inulin ie: chicory root fiber and its in tons of processed “healthy” foods. Yay you made my night because ive always wanted to try a vita top but haven’t been able to.

48. Shandra Grace says:

Hey Katie! These look amazing! Could I substitute brown rice flour for spelt? Or what other kinds of flour could I use besides spelt?

1. Hey Shandra Grace, I’ve made something similar a long time ago, except I used oat flour. Perhaps that may be a suitable substitute?

2. The only ones I’ve tried are all listed in the recipe.

1. Shandra Grace says:

Hmm. Well just got some oats. I will grind them up, and see if it works. :)

49. ashley says:

I have been wanting to try vitamuffins for so long! I am so happy you made a copycat recipe:-)

50. Wow, these look mouthwatering! I haven’t tried real vitamuffins but I am sure your are much better (and healthier!).

51. Rose says:

I’ve got a question! I’m French and I actually don’t know the difference between baking soda and baking powder. Is the first one like “bicabonate”?
    Thanks! And it looks amazing :)

1. adorpheus says:

Baking soda and bicarbonate of soda are the same thing. Baking powder is bicarbonate of soda mixed with cream of tartar (google “baking powder recipe”).

I’ve never had vitamuffins but these look delicious!

52. Leslie says:

Thanks for the recipe Katie!! I made these last night and they were delicious. I followed the recipe exactly but opted not to use the oil. Now that I have leftover pumpkin in the fridge I guess I’ll have to make another batch ASAP! Thanks :) Leslie

1. Suzanne says:

That’s exactly why they make those cans of pumpkin so big! Or in my case, I’ll make a double batch and turn my coworkers on to another vegan treat. (One is vegan, and I keep using Katie’s recipes so he isn’t left out when I cook)

53. anonymous says:

These were UHMAZING! :) :)
    The photos alone convinced me that I had to make them as soon as I saw them, and they didn’t disappoint. They’re like a mix between a brownie and a chocolate muffin, and the texture is perfect, not gummy at all. LOVE!
    To answer your question of the day, I tried VitaMuffins before and thought they were just ok, but kinda cardboardy. Yours are much better, so don’t worry, you’re not missing out!

54. These look just fantastic! I’ve never had a vitatop, but now that you’ve armed me with this recipe, I’ll never need too. Hooray!

55. These look absolutely amazing. I love the addition of prune puree for extra moisture and sweetness. I forgot about that little trick.

56. Alex says:

I have had vitatops and I LOVE them!!!!! They are so delicious. Now I can make them at home :)

57. Alyssa says:

This is so exciting! I’ve always wanted to try Vita Tops!! Thank you :-)

58. Ashley says:

OMG! Happy Ashley.

I spend a fortune on VitaTops, and I really am not supposed to be eating them. They are very bad for those who are sensitive to wheat. I would eat them all the time if they didn’t make me sick.

Thank you! I love, love that you’ve figured this out. I’m so going to try them!

59. Cassandra says:

This is a fantastic recipe!!! Super stoked to try it!

I work for Weight Watchers as a meeting leader, and I love how you include the Points Plus values in your nutrition facts. When you’re saying how many Points Plus the serving is, you should call it “Weight Watchers Points Plus Value.” Points Plus is not a “new system” as we’ve had it since 2010. I love that you are supporting our members by providing the P+ stats, but calling it just “Points” is confusing to people who have done multiple versions of Program.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on that. :) Keep banging out these awesome recipes!

1. Thanks. Will change for the future!

60. Hey Katie, I have to say, I just recently found your site and I ust love to see your smiling face each time I get a new post notification in my email.

I have a request – is there anyway you could give us the sugar info in your recipes? I am on the Belly Fat Diet and I need to know how many grams of sugar are in things.

Thanks a bunch!
    Sherry Lynn

1. Kris says:

There are numerous nutrition calculators on the internet that you can use for this. I personally use Spark’s Recipe Calculator. A quick google search and you’ve got it. Just plug in the ingredients and amounts and voila, you now know how many grams of sugar is in what you baked. Even better than asking Katie because you make your own substitutions and still know the nutritional information.

Good luck. Google is your friend.

2. Alanna says:

Kris beat me to it, but another good one is MyFitnessPal… you can use their website or they have apps for both Android and Apple phones. The reason Katie doesn’t include that info is that the type of sweetener is almost always optional in her recipes (honey, syrup, stevia, xylitol, white sugar, banana, etc), so it’s really best to calculate for yourself based on which ingredients you end up using. Hope that helps!

3. Aw thanks, Sherry.

I don’t usually give sugar info because it can vary so greatly depending on what sugar you use or how much. (Many of the recipes say “sweetener to taste.”) Plus, different milks have differing amounts of sugar (unless you use unsweetened), and fruits contain natural sugars… so it’s hard to give a specific amount for the recipes.

61. I think Vitatops are tasty but I can never justify spending that much money on the top of a muffin! I have bought them once but only because they were on sale! I will definitely be trying this recipe – thanks!

62. Jordan says:

I think vita muffins are good and all but not good for the price. I think it’s muh more worthwhile to make them yourself. I just made this recipe and it turned out great! Though I’m a chocoholic and a teenager during finals week, so I melted a handful of dark chocolate chips and mixed it in as well for a little extra chocolate kick! 😉

63. Aimee B. says:

The chocolate vita-tops were always my favorite, but also cost prohibitive. Thank you so much for this recipe. I can’t wait to try it!! :)

64. I can’t wait to make these! I love vita tops but they are so expensive. I would also love a copycat recipe for the Cranbran vitatop do you think you could come up with one?

65. Celina Tovar says:

Hi, Katie! I am so going to make these on the weekend! They will make a perfect snack or breakfast for school….i am always in the mood for something chocolatey. Also, I have a question for you or anyone else who can help me out. What cocoa powder brand do you recommend for chocolate recipes? I have used a couple that have left a strange aftertaste, but then again it may just be my tastebuds that make it feel that way!

1. Alanna says:

I haven’t tried a lot of brands, but Hershey’s Special Dark is really good, especially for brownie recipies. I think Katie has said it’s the alkali that makes the dark cocoa taste more authentic, so if you’ve been using regular cocoa, give it a try!

2. I used to buy Hershey’s, but in an effort to buy only fair-trade I now buy Dagoba even though it’s more expensive. Or for Dutch cocoa I use Wonderslim. (I think that’s the name, anyway.)

66. Megan says:

I love your posts, and have tried many of your recipes. They’re great and your personality really shines through on your posts. You’re one creative gal. Keep up the good work! I definitely appreciate it, and I’m sure many, MANY others do as well. :)

67. Rachael says:

Can you substitute almond or coconut flour to make them grain free? These look better than the Vitatops…they tasted dry to me!:)

68. Jessica says:

I don’t have the prunes or pumpkin or even sweet potato so I’m going to try with bananas tonite since I just bought a TON from Giant for super cheap =)

1. Alanna says:

Just a heads-up that you might want to cut back the sugar a little if subbing banana… when I did that for the pumpkin brownie recipe they came out kinda sticky (almost candied?) from the extra sugar in the banana. They were delicious, though! :)

69. marianna says:

I would like to tell you how delightful you and your recipes are. Everyday I check your site, and I am never disappointed. Thank you for being so creative, positive, and just cool!!! Have a super day. :)

70. What a good girl you are! I’ve never bought a vitatops, but have so wanted to, and was only tempted when they were on sale. I bet your roommate will love you forever…I will too. Thanks so much for coming up with this one. I will be making them this weekend.

71. Amy says:

I made these this afternoon as an after school snack for my kids and they loved them! Having tried vita muffins long ago I can say that these were so much tastier and better for us. Great recipe. Keep up the good work!

72. Angie says:

I made these with applesauce instead of pumpkin or prunes because that was what I had on hand. Also left out the oil and used the extra milk as recommended. These were so good. I’ve never had VitaMuffins so I can’t compare to that. I will make these again for sure.

1. Thank you so much for trying them :).

73. These look delicious! I’ve never had the real ones, but if they are expensive, I’ll take these any day.

74. Lu Ann says:

I have tried Vita- tops. They have a vitamin taste. Your recipe sounds great.

75. Shay says:

I have never actually tried one!
    But your look soososososososoososoosossoosoososooooooo yummy!I am drooling!:)

76. Cathy says:

These rock! I did substitute oat flour (gf) (made from my of oats I had on hand, processed in the food processor) because I did not have spelt. Did use less xylitol and less sugar (rapadura). Oh, used coconut oil. These will be my little pieces of heaven when I need chocolate! Hopefully they make it to the freezer!!!! Thanks!

1. Thanks for trying them, and I’m glad to hear they work with oat flour!

77. jenny says:

they look awesome! do they make muffin tips or whole muffins?

1. cherl says:

katie!i really admire ur pleasant personality ans would love for u to respond to me.please do me the favor of responding why the pix is of muffin tops if these make whole muffins. Thanx so much!

2. Muffin tops, as shown in the photos.

78. Mmmm I love VitaMuffins but 100% agree with your roommate – they are so expensive! I make some pretty good protein ones at home myself but I love the look of yours and the fact that they are just tops! Everyone loves a muffin top, right (to eat, anyway!)??

79. Michelle says:

i went vegan 2 years ago and the last thing i gave up was vita tops !! i loved them i usually waited for a sale or Costco was 12.99 i think back then …. so THANKS for this recipe :)

80. Julia says:

Hi Katie,

Maybe I’m missing something (and the name seems to imply this), but do you cut the tops off of the muffins once you’ve made them? Your recipe says to use a standard-size muffin tin, so I’m a little confused. What do you do with the rest of the muffin? Thanks for the clarification!

1. Nope, no need to cut them. You fill a standard-sized muffin tin evenly, and they only puff up enough to make tops.

81. Oh wow! Can’t wait to try Kaite. Perfection!

82. Coral says:

Katie, I discovered your blog last week and I am enamored of you and your recipes. I made this one today, with pumpkin, subbed quinoa flour, and coconut sugar, and erithrytol (to taste) and used coconut milk. They didn’t rise much, turned out like brownie bites instead of muffin tops, but they were moist and hit my chocolate spot. I didn’t want to take time to make the chocolate frosting recipe from the other day, but it would have been a perfect topper to this ‘muffin topper’ 😉
    This recipe is a keeper. It was quick, easy, healthy and tastier than most allergen ‘free’ recipes that I have tried over the past few years. Keep ’em coming! :) <3

1. Thank you for trying them! I’ve never worked with quinoa flour… now I am intrigued :).

1. Coral says:

Quinoa is very high in protein and very low carb, but it does tend to have a bit of a trong taste that might turn some people off. For me and other carb sensitive people, beggars can’t be choosers. I am happy that I can use it to make bread & cake & waffle things, so I don’t feel so deprived. It’s tolerable and the alternative is to do without altogether … NOT happening! :p I can’t eat many of the gluten free foods because they have too many carbs.

83. Elizabeth says:

I’ve never had a vitamuffin, but they cannot possibly be better than these. Amazing! I added a bit more stevia and it was a perfect sweetness. Used no oil — only the milk — and pumpkin puree.

84. This may be my favorite recipe of yours yet…I always think a VitaTop sounds good, but then I read the ingredients list, and get too freaked out to try one…can’t wait to make this recipe!!

85. kris says:

I just ate one of these and they are really good but not a lot of chocolate flavor. I used Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder and used the 2 tbsp. Am I doing something wrong or are they not supposed to taste like chocolate? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

1. They are like chocolate muffins, not rich like brownies. But they do become more chocolatey after a day. Also, be sure to add the chocolate chips for more chocolate flavor!

86. cherl says:

katie dear please respond to me why the picture is just of the muffin tops

87. Harriet says:

made these with banana and they turned out great! followed all the other ingredients exactly x

1. So glad to know they work with banana!

88. Whitney says:

Katie, I have been super busy and haven’t checked your site in a few weeks, sorry! My daughter requested strawberry hugs oatmeal (one of her favorites) and instead of going straight to the oatmeal recipe, I have been catching up on recipes that I missed! Not having a spray can for my homemade whipped cream has always been a huge bummer! This machine is so awesome! Great post!

89. brittany says:

Katie, all your food looks so amazing! You should post your recipes on I check it everyday and i don’t think i’ve seen your wonderful recipes there??

90. Have you ever tried a VitaMuffin?

Cant say that I have even heard of them.

91. Bek @ Crave says:

I’ve seen them on hungry girl all the time but we don’t get them in Aus.

92. Carroll says:

I made these tonight and they were amazing! My brother liked them and you couldn’t taste the pumpkin at all and I don’t like pumpkin and my brother hates it. I used coconut oil and whole wheat all purpose adn you couldn’t even tell they were healthy! :) Thanks Katie, it’s so hard to get my lil bro to eat anything even relatively healthy.

1. Carroll says:

Oh and I’ve never had Vitatops before but it doesn’t sound like they are worth it! 😉 I made these like mini-muffins in a mini muffin tin. I think they taste like brownies!

93. Anonymous says:

I just made a double recipe for dinner for six, thinking that I would have plenty leftover for my breakfasts, etc. this week, but putting them all out for the sake of presentation… There is one left!! Katie, you have a new fan in my father :) keep it up and he’ll be very happy

94. Katie says:

Hi fellow Katie!!!! Absolutely LOVE your recipes!!!! I was reading your story about college, I’m currently a Sophomore at Sam Houston State University & I’m going through the same thing, deciding what I want to do with my life & that post has really helped to put everything into perspective. Just curious, when you transferred to SMU what major did you choose? & Why?

95. Amanda s says:

I made these today but subbed chia seeds for the ground flax because they’re what I had on hand. They were amazing! Fluffy light and chocolatey! Yumm!!

96. Amanda s says:

Oh one question though: could I triple the recipe and make whole muffins or would the consistency be off?

97. It does look like a pacman ghost :) I have never tried these (live in Australia and we don’t have any fun food) I really look forward to making them! xo Emily @ Hungry Delights

98. Nora says:

I’ve never have a VitaTop, and always wanted to, but couldn’t cause they aren’t gluten free. I made six of these with garbanzo bean flour, Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cocoa (I added more for good measure) and mini Nestle chips. They were amazing! A great chocolate treat that I didn’t feel guilty eating!! Your blog is super awesome and I am excited to try lots more of your recipes.

99. I have to say- I often buy Vitatops, but the chocolate flavor really doesn’t taste that great at all. I like the blueberry bran and the apple. I need to try your recipe and freeze them! They are definitely WAY too expensive!

100. I have tried them in the past, but now that I expose processed foods on my blog, I am afraid to even look at the ingredients. Thank you for creating this recipe. Now I can make my own!

101. J Barrett says:

I feel so-so about Vitatops: if I’m in the mood for them, they’re okay, but they are expensive. This might be just what I’m looking for! Thanks!

102. Angie says:

Made them tonight, tasty but missing a little something. I think a little espresso powder next time and I’m going to use a whoppie pie pan to bake them in! thanks!

103. Tinemarie says:

I like VitaMuffins, but these were so much better and so easy to make! My kids are also voicing their approval!

104. Giulia says:

Katie do you recommend sweetened or unsweetened almond milk for this recipe? And can anyone vouch for results without the chocolate chips?

1. Giulia says:

Omg Katie!! These were amazing 😀 I don’t bake much and I always stuff something up but these were just… Lets just say everyone was surprised I could produce something edible let alone delicious and healthy! I used applesauce, sweetened almond milk and subbed stevia for all the sugar. And added the chocolate chips, just in case 😉

2. Jessica says:

I tried these without the chocolate chips as I didn’t have any but they were still very good without the chocolate chips :)

105. Leeann says:

First I would like to say I have just found your blog and LOVE it, I will be trying most of your recipes over the next few weeks.
    I was wondering if you could try and make a healthier version of choc ices. I don’t know if you have them in the states but we do in the uk. They are rectangle shaped soft vanilla ice cream coated in a thin layer of chocolate. Super yummy. I have left a link at the bottom I case you don’t know what they are.
    Please keep your recipes coming. X|0;d|6Xh4ULU9RRFgBM:

106. Shannon J says:

Omg these were amazing ! Just made a batch and they were to die for! I had one as was completely chocolatey satisfied ! I used pumpkin and omitted the flax bc I didn’t have any and did the oil switch and they were still amazing ! I love you and all your recipes !

107. Mandie says:

Katie, I LOVE these! I have never tried Costco’s Vitamuffins – but now I won’t need to and what is more, I do not want to! These are great!

I ate some for breakfast awhile back & they were perfect! I had no pumpkin, so I did 1/2 applesauce & 1/2 banana and the texture was great and moist. I also used dark cocoa as I love dark chocolate 😉

Thanks for creating another spectacular recipe!

1. Mandie says:

Oh, and by the way, your website looks amazing! Love the colors and the style!

108. Liz says:

Hi! I can’t wait to try this 😉 I love chocolate, so few calories!!!
    Thank-you! Have a groovy day 😉

109. This look fabulous. I have never had VitaMuffins before, but certainly looking forward to trying these wonderful monster muffins. Thanks for being a go-to for healthy desserts!

110. Chocolate Sweets says:

Oh WOW! these chocolate treats look delicious! :)

111. Sandy says:

Seriously, these are amazing. I can’t thank you enough for all of your amazing recipes. You help me enjoy desserts again!!

112. Rain says:

I haven’t been able to find canned pumpkin lately, so I subbed applesauce, used 1 T oil to 3 T almond milk. I also added about half a teaspoon of ground chia seeds and doubled the portion size per muffin so that they are more like 1/2 sized muffins instead of just the tops. Anyway, they turned out great! Just wanted to say I can vouch for the applesauce sub, they are yummy!

113. Jillian says:

I made these today! As a huge fan of Vitamuffins, I was skeptical. But these might actually be better than Vitamuffins! My sister – who isn’t a fan of healthy recipes, as a rule – loved them too. Thank you so much for this recipe!!

114. Dawn says:

I was wondering, do you think you could substitute pureed sweet potato for the pumkin? I don’t usually keep pumpkin or prunes around. Thanks!

115. Jessica says:

I made these for the first time last week and they were sooo good! They’re very easy to make, too, so I’ve been making them a lot and my family loves them :)

116. Kim says:

These are amazing! Miss Vitamuffs since going GF; these are a terrific sub! Moist, chewy, and chocolate. I couldn’t ask for more! I subbed out the prunes for dried dates, only because I had dates onhand. Also used Mama’s Almond Blend GF AP flour and Enjoy Life chips. No extras needed. Thanks, Katie! You did it again!

1. Thank you for trying them! :)

117. Erica says:

How are these pronounced? V-eye-ta muffins, v-i-ta muffins, or v-ee-ta muffins?

118. Barbara Minor says:

Hi Katie; please check your amounts for the milk….I needed 1/2 cup to make a batter, not 2 tbsp….it was dry and powdery until changed. Also, do you really mean 1/2 tsp for the vanilla, instead of 1/2 tbsp? I love all your recipes and this is the first one that I am questioning. You have saved my life. I am gluten-free, dairy free, and all chemicals are toxic. I get very sick if I eat or inhale any of the mentioned products. You have made it possible for me to enjoy food again…….Barb

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It sounds like you possibly mis-measured something or made a substitution? I make these a lot, and they work for me as written.

119. Samantha says:

My mom and I tried these tonight and they were amazing!!! I’ve been looking for healthy ways to have breakfast while I’m leaving for work (I work with kids for 8 hours a day) and these will hopefully keep me full to last till lunch! Thanks for all of the amazing recipes! I’m excited to try some more!

120. Jessica says:

I LOVE these and they are a big hit with my GF friends! Have you tried freezing these or do you know if they would freeze well? Thanks!

1. I haven’t tried, but I would *think* it’d be ok to freeze them.

121. Kristy says:

Just made these to send to my son (who is away at college) for some healthy birthday cookies. He’s trying to be fit, but the mom in me still wants to bake for his bday…so these work! Not sure how they taste yet, but they look really good!! Hope he likes them. :)

122. Yvette says:

These are delicious! I made these today (with regular sugar, flax, regular flour, 1% milk and prunes) and I ate them all. Oops. I realized now too that I forgot the vanilla and they were still super tasty. I will definitely be making these again very soon. I would have made more immediately but I needed another jar of prunes! Thank you!! I agree those silly vita tops are ridiculously expensive – I can’t even believe it and they’re made with a bunch of ingredients we don’t need. They’re $10 for four here. Ouch!

123. CutePi says:

Delish! They came out just like the picture (which never happens). They are fluffy like a muffin, but also rich like a brownie. It only made 9 rather than 12, but that is probably good, because I’m going to have a really hard time not eating all 9 before hubs-to-be comes home. Thanks for another fantastic recipe, Katie!

124. Grace says:

These were super good! I’m so glad I found your site. I’m on a low iodine diet to prep for a scan and I’m not allowed to have dairy or egg yolks. Your recipes have saved me!! Especially the single serving ones since it’s just me on this diet :)

125. Shannon says:

I made a double batch of these gluten free yesterday. I used oat flour, chick pea flour, oat bran, and corn flour mix with some oats tossed in for extra texture. I made 24 of them and put them on the coffee table for my kids. An hour later I went back to put them away and the were all gone. Apparently this recipe works very well gluten free, too.
    Any ideas for making a non-cocoa version? ( not like I don’t love cocoa, but just for some variety)

1. Sorry, I never know until I experiment! 😉

1. Sanne says:

How about adding some shredded coconot instead?

126. Bryan says:

I just ate a vita muffin top, holy hell these things are so good. I am glad money is not an object for me, I buy tons of these things, they have been key for my 20lbs weight loss since xmas

127. laura says:

Just made these (with pumpkin). I’ve never had a vita muffin before either and I’m not a huge chocolate lover but my husband and sons are, so I thought I’d try this. Not bad…especially for only 1 WW+pt. BUT I must ask….HOW did you get them so perfectly round and nice looking? I thought the muffin tin would make them so lovely in shape but mine looked quite silly…?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Mine come out looking pretty. Maybe check out Katie’s troubleshooting faq page at the top of the blog?

2. Faith says:

I used silicone muffin cups in my pan and after distributing the batter among the 12 cups, I gently spread each section with a spoon so they were flat on top and went all the way to the edges. This was before pressing a few additional chips into the top of each one :)

128. carrieann says:

I’m sure these taste delicious, but the perk of vitatops is that they are high in fiber. Maybe adding some additional ingredients to boost this would make it a little more like the original.

129. Angie says:

Katie: When I look at the nutrition content of the Copycat Chocolaty Vita Tops it says each of the 12 muffin tops are only 28 calories?

130. cindy says:

I bought them all the time until I had to go gluten free. They were pretty good and healthy. I’m not a big sweets eater but once in awhile I would crave something and these hit the spot. Can’t wait to try this recipe as haven’t had one in over a year.

131. Lydia says:

Could you sub dates for the prune or pumpkin puree and omit the stevia?

132. Julie says:

Made these today for the first time–won’t be the last for sure. They are perfect! Sooo good. My daughter is going to love me big time when she gets home!

133. Angèle says:

Hello from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada! Can I just say that I’m a huge fan and you are my go-to for anything dessert-y..though I sub things out sometimes 😉 I’ve made these twice now (never had a vita-muffin). First time I used all purpose flour and wheat germ..this time (they’re still warm) i used oat flour. Both times I used coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate coconut milk and mashed bananas – y-u-m!! Both batches turned out amazing! Merci!!

134. nuts4knits says:

Yum! These turned out great! I used pumpkin rather than prunes, subbed white flour and coconut oil for the spelt and oil, and a sugar sub for most of the sugar. Very chocolatey! Totally satisfied my sweet tooth. I used silicone tart cups to make them in and they popped out as perfect muffin “tops”! No need to buy the expensive frozen ones ever.

135. Faith says:

Holy WOW these are good! Definitely should have made a double batch. I was out of almond milk so I used 2 tbsp water and I did use 2 tbsp oil (coconut). I used whole wheat pastry flour, pumpkin, 4 tbsp total of coconut sugar (no stevia), and I of course added the optional chocolate chips in the batter and on top (Enjoy Life). I used silicone muffin liners and they popped out easily, much more easily than regular muffins. They actually were much more like brownies than muffins. Probably a little more sinful than I’d normally make the kiddos for breakfast but they were great for a special treat and I wouldn’t hesitate to make them for dessert – except I’d make a double or triple batch! Thanks for another winner Katie!! :)

136. Erin says:

I made these the other day and did not add the extra choc chips. I was trying to be good :) They are so delicious that I made another batch and added a few cacao nibs on top. Super tasty and chocolaty. I love anything chocolate. Thanks for posting this recipe. If you have not made these and love chocolate you should take the time to bake them. They do not require a lot of work and most of the ingredients you already have in your pantry. I made my with the extra TBSP of milk instead of oil.

137. Bonnie says:

Vitamuffins: Totally worth the cost, though if we had a local bakery I’m sure they would cost less. They are the most delicious, healthy snack ever!!! They are kept in the freezer, so I often microwave a deep chocolate vitatop muffin for 30 sec (piping hot), the add some healthy yogurt and fruit on top for a great breakfast. I am so happy you made a similar recipe!

138. Elizabeth Iverach says:

Hi! I love your recipes,you are so clever and creative! I wanted to ask if this is the lowest muffin/cookie type of recipe you have? I’m one of those people who just have to have something sweet to dunk into my tea and I would love a cookie type recipe of about 20 calories each I could make. Do you think you could help me? Thank you!

139. Elizabeth Iverach says:

Hi! I love your recipes, you’re so clever and creative! I’m one of those people who needs something sweet to dunk into my tea every day and I wanted to ask if this is the lowest calorie muffin/cookie type of recipe you have? I’m looking for something with about 20 calories I could make, do you think you can help me, I’ll really appreciate it! Thanks

140. Cathy says:

Haven’t had the vita tops but had the vita cakes.They are really good and it tastes just like regular chocolate.It has been worth the price until now.If these vita tops come out good then will definitely stick with these.This price is so much better lol Thanks!

141. Kaela says:

What did your friend say about the recipe? Did it taste like vitamuffins?

142. Danielle says:

These are spot on! Really easy to make and super delicious.