Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Super Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles

Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles!

These waffles keep you full for hours!

The recipe makes two carrot cake waffles… and you can eat them both.

Soft and indulgent waffles, covered in a thick layer of frosting. It’s almost like eating real carrot cake for breakfast, without that crash-and-burn feeling you get from consuming too much sugar. You can enjoy all the deliciousness of carrot cake, while getting heart-healthy fiber, whole grains, and vitamins at the same time!

Super-Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles!

These waffles are best with coconut butter or my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

Carrot Cake Waffles

(Makes 2 waffles)

• 1/2 cup spelt flour (or all-purpose or Bob’s gluten-free) (60g)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch stevia extract, or 2 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrot (32g)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice (decrease by 2tbsp if using the agave/syrup) (80g is 1/3c)
  • 1 tbsp more milk of choice or 1 tbsp oil (15g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (4g)

Combine first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Grease your waffle maker, with oil or oil spray (be sure to grease well if using the oil-free version), then let it preheat. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir to make a batter. When the iron is hot, pour half the batter into the center of the iron, and close the lid. (My machine has a light that goes out when the waffle is ready. Don’t lift the lid before the waffle is finished cooking.) Frost these vegan carrot cake waffles with either coconut butter or my healthy cream cheese frosting (linked below the second photo in this post).

View Nutrition Facts

Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles

Link of the Day:

healthy candy

Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs

Tags: , , ,

1. Gabrielle says:

Can’t wait to go home and make my mom make these for me.

I love these sorts of recipes, that co-opt an old unhealthy family staple and make it so that everyone can enjoy it and feel good about it too. It really fosters family bonding.

I know that sounds cheesy, but food can cause such a rift when it’s rejected, so turning it back into a community experience is one of the things I come here for most often.

Thanks :)

2. Heather says:

Fun! Have you tried these with oat flour?
    Carrot cake? Yes. Cream cheese frosting? No thank you. I always scraped it off my piece (or cut the top off to be sure all remnants of the frosting have been removed)! :)

1. Sorry, I haven’t. If you try it, let me know the results :).

3. I haven’t had waffles in forever! What a great recipe! I think I will make this for the family on Sunday! Thanks Katie and have a nice weekend!

4. Lisa says:

Shut the front door. These look so yummy! And perfect for Easter! I’ve actually never had carrot cake before, same with pie. I was an odd child who never tried anything haha, but this looks delicious!

5. Olivia says:

Hi Katie! I am so going to make these for lunch today! I am 12 years old, and I adore your blog! It is all I ever talk about to my family… :) I can’t have dairy, gluten or sugar, so I adapt a bunch of your recipes to my needs and I always love them! You inspired me to start my own blog about all the different foods I try… Thank you for all the amazing recipes!

1. Anonymous says:

NO WAY!
      I think you are my long-lost twin.
      -My name is Olivia
      -I’m 12 years old
      -I’m obsessed with this blog
      -I can’t have dairy, eggs, or gluten(ok that one’s slightly different)
      -I adapt Katie’s recipes(and yes i love them)
      -I eat waffles for lunch!
      Sorry if i freaked you out-don’t feel pressured to reply.
      btw Katie ths is the best blog ever!

6. Boy, these sure look good ~ How ironic that I just made a carrot cake, yesterday ~ Guess great minds think alike :-)

7. kira says:

what waffle iron/waffle maker do you have? I’m in the market for a new one since my old one broke. :)

1. It’s called “Toastmaster.” I think it’s pretty old… I stole it from my parents’ house :).

8. that looks absolutely delicious, but i’m more keen on trying your cream cheese frosting.. with tofu… wow, if that tastes as amazing as it looks, wow! You’re a genius!

9. Sharla says:

I’m making carrot cake for the family Easter dinner this year and wondering if I can sneak a cashew cream in on it without anyone noticing 😉

10. Hannah says:

These look so good!

I love carrot cake, and I especially love cake for breakfast. I remember birthdays where we used to eat the leftover birthday cake for breakfast.

11. jane says:

I love carrot cake-ish goodies, too!!! For this recipe, do you think the carrots must be shredded for the right amount of moisture and texture or would carrot pulp left from juicing organic carrots be alright–or would it become too mushy? Thanks!…and keep up the sweet sharing!

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it with pulp so I can’t say for sure. If I were to experiment that way, I’d probably replace an equal amount of the milk with the carrot pulp. Then add a little milk if needed.

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the tip.. I think I will save my pulp for a raw carrot dessert and shred for a recipe like this… I would be so sad if it came out all mushy after all the anticipation! :) LOL

2. Ursika says:

I just made them with carrot pulp from juicing and it’s divine. Follow the recipe but then just add about 1-2 tbsp more milk at the end (not too much or they will fall apart).

Delicious Katie, yum :)

12. Ashley says:

When you say 2 waffles, do you mean 2 quarters of a load of waffles or two loads?

1. I’m not sure what you mean by “load,” but the recipe makes 2 full waffles – so double the amount shown in the photos. :)

13. Lizzie says:

In the calorie information, does one serving = one waffle or both? Great recipe!

14. Jessica says:

Yayy! I have just been dying for you to do a waffle recipe, I am def making these for breakfast tommorrow 😀

15. Kaley says:

I was just looking at your blog the other day for carrot cake pancakes! I knew you have so many pancake recipes and so many carrot cake recipes, so I was almost surprised not to find them haha. I think I’ll pull out the waffle iron and give this a try!

16. This looks delicious.. I think I am going to try this but switch up the flour. Thanks for posting! :)

17. Janie says:

Now I need a waffle iron…. fast!

18. Steph says:

Hi Katie,
    Are the nutrition facts based on one or two waffles? Because as far as I know, spelt flour has at least 160 calories per 1/2 cup.

19. Angela Hypio says:

Carrot cake is my FAVORITE! Cannot wait to make these!!!!!

20. Oh, to bad I don’t have a waffle maker…

21. Lee says:

This looks delicious. Think they can be made as pancakes too? Also, are the nutrition facts for the whole recipe, or just per waffle?

1. I don’t see why not! Per waffle.

2. They are DELICIOUS as pancakes.

22. Alyssa says:

These look great! I’ve been craving coconut butter in a major way lately! Also, I have a vegan giveaway on my blog today if you or your readers are interested! Stop on by at to check it out!

23. Chris says:

Can these be made with protein powder instead of flour? Thanks!

1. Sorry, I really have no idea.

2. Hope says:

I am curious as well! Please post results if you try it!

24. Fran says:

I am obsessed with carrot cakey things at the moment!! These look great, I have no waffle make but carrot cake donuts might be worth a try in my donut maker!

25. Stefanía says:

Ahh!! This sound like a dream! Two of my favourite things ever – carrot cake and waffles. I have to try these :)

26. To answer the question, I kind of hate carrot cake. I always find it WAYY to sweet. These waffles look super fantastic though, and a great way to get that carrot & cream cheese flavour without being too sweet! Yay for fibre!

27. Sarah says:

WOW. These look amazing. I wonder if they can be done GF?

1. Anonymous says:

It says in the recipe you can use bobs gf :)

1. Sarah says:

Ha…thank you! (smacking forehead)

I do like Bob’s. Will try this.

28. Amazing! I need an excuse like this to use my new-ish wafflemaker.

29. Kara says:

Hi, Katie! I LOVE carrot cake! Seriously – love it. It’s always been my favorite kind of cake. Weird? Maybe. But I just looooove cream cheese frosting, and it tastes amazing with carrot cake. Okay…now that my little drool-fest is over…I’m sad to report that I don’t have a waffle maker. But I’m going to try these babies as pancakes.

On another note, I’m trying my hand at blog-land. Would you mind checking mine out when you get a free second? It’s It’s pretty bare-bones right now, but maybe some day it will be successful like yours!

1. Will definitely check it out :)

30. Amanda says:

Would this recipe work with equal portion of almond flour instead of spelt?

31. Tanner says:

I love carrot cake! These waffles look delicious, I will totally be making them! Yesterday for lunch I had the single-serve carrot cakerecipe doubled, and SLATHERED in cream cheese frosting! I also tried it as pumpkin, too, because I love pumpkin even more than carrot! I liked it better as pumpkin, but I think I added too much salt to the carrot version :( Anyways, I LOVE CARROT CAKE, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
    P.S. You have inspired me to be healthier and get more exercise. My puppy and I have become training buddies! Our favorite route is the 2.1 miles to Whole Foods 😉

32. Anonymous says:

Could you make this into pancakes?

33. Mallory says:

What Carrot Cake recipe do you make for Easter? Is it one you’ve blogged before? I made my sister’s Wedding-Carrot-Cake and it had SO much oil! I’d be curious to try a good vegan/healthy version.

1. Yes, the one I blogged about long ago. I’m not sure about how healthy it is, but it’s vegan :).

34. Katie says:

The day has finally come!! I have been looking forward to a CCK waffle recipe! Thank you so much, I will be making these ASAP!! 😀

35. Alanna says:

Oooh, these look so yummy! I actually really hate raw carrots, but carrot cake is okay by me! 😉 Did the shredded carrot get cooked all the way through (soft) with this, or could you still taste a little crunch? If it’s still a bit crunchy I might puree or pre-cook the carrots a bit for myself. Great idea, Katie!

1. Taylor says:

I find that the carrots are nice and soft!

36. Deanna says:

Super excited to try this! I’ve been waiting for a waffle recipe- they’re my favorite breakfast food! Add on a carrot cake version and I’m in heaven :)

37. trajayjay says:

I do adore carrot cake. I love it when vegetables can go into a dessert. It seems like the orange vegetables are reserved for the desserts. Carrot cake, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie. It seems that the orange veggies are sweeter than the purple and green ones. I like that.

Sweet potatoe
    Bell Pepper
    Butternut Squash

All are really good. Why is it that orange vegetables taste the same? But they also have a lot of Vitamin A. But I like how this is your first waffle recipe. I was wondering how you never posted a waffle recipe yet.

38. Hi Katie! I had to stop by and let you know that I made these tonight with absolutely DELICIOUS results :) Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! I am not vegan, so I made a few substitutions and also used a very tiny-holed shredder for my carrots so the shreds were very fine. Here are my non-vegan substitutions in case anyone else is curious:
    I used whole wheat flour
    1 egg white
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1 tbls. melted light butter (brummel and brown)
    1/3 HEAPING cup of FINELY shredded carrot
    I kept the rest the same and topped it with vanilla greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. Delish!
    Thanks again Katie; as always, your recipes are stellar!

39. yum – these look delicious!

40. Anonymous says:

Yummy! Sounds like a fun breakfast to make when you have guests, too :)

41. Absolutely love carrot in everything!! Especially in cakes, puddings etc. And now, I want to add it in waffles :)

42. Bek @ Crave says:

I haven’t had carrot cake in forever- but the one I did like was store bought and so basic….but so good…probably because it was full of nasties haha

43. YUM – this is fabulous, I’m going to try it with half oat flour & half coconut flour.

44. Jenny says:

OH my goodness, my brother and I were just talking about how much we loved carrot cake yesterday and then I checked your blog this morning and discovered this. Thank you, CCK!

45. Brittany says:

I punched the ingredients into a calorie counter. Using maple syrup, the reduced milk, and oil it’s actually 487 calories… just for those interested.

46. Carrot Cake-ish goods are the best! I never thought to combine it into my favorite meal of the day. These waffles look delish :)

47. Lilja says:

Do you know if that recipe works as a pancake, if you add more milk?
    I don’t have a waffle iron and this looks like the best!

48. Skylar says:

Tried it and loooooveeeeed it ;]

49. Lauren Costello says:

Made these this morning for me and my parents (who aren’t vegan) and they were such a success. I want them every day!!! I put one packet of stevia/a little extra carrot in and we ate them with maple syrup.

50. Sushma says:

Such a lovely recipe, Katie! I don’t have waffle maker, wondering if I can make pancakes with this batter…

51. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

So we made these Saturday morning. While we thought that the carrot cake flavor was faint, it was still a good base recipe. It tasted even better with syrup, raisins, and carrots on top (don’t knock it till you try it!). I would add more carrot flavor and more cinnamon too next time. All in all, pretty good :)

52. Katie*** says:

Made these for me and my mom this morning. Super delicious! I subbed out a scoop of vanilla protein powder for 1/4 cup of the flour, I was too afraid to sub out any more and ruin the fluffiness. I wonder how they would taste with almond flour? I topped mine with vanilla greek yogurt, a banana and some raisins. Yum! I love how they turned out looking like a perfect, normal Belgian waffle (ignoring the carroty flecks) instead of the flat or gooey mess that some healthy “waffles” turn out like.
    I have never been a huge fan of carrot cake. Too dense and sweet, usually… although I love carrot cake waffles and pancakes! When I was little I’d just go around and eat all the frosting carrots off the top of the cake… and maybe the frosting-laden corners, too. :)

53. Brian Thomas says:

Can not wait to try these! Sounds perfect for Easter Breakfast!

54. Perie says:

I absolutely love carrot cake but I prefer the home made one! I had one from Tesco’s the other day and it was just too sweet and tasted a bit artificial! I will definitely try your recipe for carrot cake waffles. Looks yummy!

55. Nina says:

these were SO good. my family loved them and couldn’t even tell they were healthy (and vegan)! I’m trying to cook vegan meals 90% of the time and whenever I am in need of a sweet (but secretly healthy) treat or some breakfast inspiration, I ALWAYS look at your site first. thanks so much for all your effort and your creativity, I cannot wait for your cookbook!
    lots of love and stay the funny and warm person that shines through your words :))

56. Paige Flamm says:

These waffles look delicious! My favorite cake at breakfast time, what could be better!?

57. Christina says:

These look great! By the way, the ads on your page are covering up your header. They need to be moved higher up, maybe? Right now, all I can see is the part that says “Healthy Dessert Blog.” Everything else is covered. :/

1. cck says:

Hi Christina,

How long has this been happening? And what browser are you on? If you get a chance, can you try clearing your browser cache and letting me know if it’s still an issue?

2. Maria says:

Katie, just so that you know, I’m using the latest version of Chrome (25.0.1364.172 m) and am not experiencing this issue.
      Great recipe! I will try it as soon as I get all those burnt toast crumbs out of my waffle maker :)

1. Thank you both for letting me know. I’m hoping it’s a temporary caching problem. Keep me updated! :)

58. Kim says:

Wow!! Definitely making these for the kids tomorrow! Thanks so much!!

59. These sound great! Perfect carrot cake flavor for easter time! I don’t have a waffle maker but maybe I could make them as pancakes!

60. amy says:

Do you think this would work for pancakes too? I do not have a waffle iron….

61. Kaitlin says:

Hi Katie and fellow, health food fans!
    I just found this website and absolutely love the idea. I made these for my family as a light dinner. Other than me destroying the kitchen with my crazy cooking style they were great. We are always looking for good meals that fit our busy but healthy lifestyle. Thanks!
    P.S. – I tried quadrupling the recipe for my family and it only made five waffles. Any other ideas? Also does the coconut milk need to be refrigerated overnight for the frosting to work properly?

62. Laura says:

For the nutrition information, is that for both waffles? And is it made with the agave or with the stevia? Thank you.

63. Yes! Yum! Katie, I think this recipe has convinced me to get a waffle iron! In the mean time, these carrot cake bites will have to do!

64. Rho says:

Hi Katie! I love your recipes! I love the IDEA of this recipe. But the problem is, I absolutely HATE carrot cake…with a vengeance. Do you think this recipe would work with shredded apple instead? Really appreciate it, and all the work you do to make my sweet tooth more healthful! :-)

1. Briana says:

I used shredded apple because I didnt have carrot and it worked just fine. Tasted like hot apple pie waffles, yum!

65. Kat says:

How absolutely scrumptious. Can’t wait to get home and start cooking. And to answer your question…yes, I love carrot cake and still use a recipe I got 30 years ago!

66. Mar says:

I don’t have a waffle maker (they’re not so popular in Spain) do you think I could make them pancake-like? I mean in a pan or maybe the oven?

Great ideas btw! Have a nice Easter :)

67. Like carrot cake? Ha- it was my wedding cake! I remember my husband and I debating about that before we chose the flavor. We weren’t sure to go with something like vanilla because it’s “safer” and people might not like carrot cake. But then we thought- screw that- if you don’t like carrot cake, that’s just too bad for you! :)
    I am holding out on buying a waffle maker. I had one in my hand ready to buy the other day, but am moving in a month and made a promise that I would wait to buy any kitchen things before I move. Your post is making sticking to that plan VERY tough!

68. Mary Frances says:

I love carrot cake! Especially with walnuts … And because I’m not vegan, cream cheese frosting;). I’ve been a long time follower of you and finally decided to comment. My favorite recipes are the Larabars and pumpkin pie … Oh those are good! Keep up the awesome blogging!

69. Am says:

I made these the very next morning!!! I was so happy it could work with the limited foods I’m eating.
    I used brown rice flour, and only 1/2 tsp of baking powder, and maybe (I didn’t measure) only half the oil, at first. I didn’t have a waffle iron, so I made them into pancakes. They stuck to my lightly seasoned cast iron pan, so I added some extra oil to the batter and the pan, and it was fine. They are delish, CCK! Thank you!

70. Amy B Gillis says:

Hi Katie, Just wanted to tell you the “PRINT THIS RECIPE” button that you added IS A GREAT HELP!!!!! Thanks!!!!

71. andi says:

i love carrot cake so much that it was the flavor of my wedding cake at my wedding a week ago. :)

72. Briana says:

I made these today for breakfast and they were delicious. I even substituted grated apples for carrots and it still turned out amazing. However, I would scale back the salt amount, they were a little salty. Thanks for these amazing recipes.

73. Adi says:

Wait is it 113 calories for one waffle or two?

74. Claire says:

I will be trying these! Have you had the mashed banana mixed with a beaten egg? I know there are all kinds of variations (adding cinnamon, blueberries, a touch of baking powder), but i’m curious if you could make it into a waffle somehow. i used to make it like pancakes, but i’ve discovered microwaving the blended egg, banana, and cinnamon is amazing and too easy… i’m starting to get bored with it, though.

75. Mary says:

I actually have a question about your healthy Oreos. Would they work with all purpose instead of spelt flour? Please let me know and I LOVE your recipes.

76. All these recipes look delicious!! I’m glad I found these recipes so I could enjoy them during easter! I’ve already planned on making those carrot cake waffles Sunday morning!!! Yummy!!

77. berealyoga says:

Wow, I just made these! They literally took me 10 minutes (tops) from start to finish and even less time to devour (gulp!!) — these are AMAZING! I put together a macademia nut frosting to go with, and o EM GEE!!!! Thanks Katie, you are my savour some days. xo

78. Linda says:

I don’t have a waffle iron, but really wanted to try these. So, I made pancakes, instead! I was also too lazy to grate carrots, so I used some saved juice pulp that had lots of fruit, carrots and ginger. Oh my, were they tasty!

79. Christina says:

I made these for my family this morning for Easter breakfast. I adapted it slightly to my tastes: I used whole wheat pastry flour, agave, decreased the salt slightly and a couple dashes of ginger and nutmeg. And of course I topped them with your healthy cream cheese frosting and some raisins and chopped walnuts. YUMMMMM! Another fantastic recipe! Thanks CCK! Happy Easter! :)

80. Sammy says:

Hey Katie! I love this recipe! I adapted it to make some whole wheat waffles. I hope you get a chance to check it out! My skeptical parents loved it!

Thanks for the recipe!

81. Jennifer D. says:

I made these this morning. I quadrupled the recipe to feed everyone. It made 8 square waffles. Changes I made: used all purpose flour and 1 tsp sugar instead of stevia/maple syrup/agave. Batter was thick so ended up adding about 1 3/4 C. skim milk total. Served with raisins on top and syrup. MyFitnessPal gives the calories as 200 per waffle.
    These were excellent!!

82. Chelsey says:

Hii! I adore your blog and I really love this recipe. I ate it everyday for 4 days and today I even ate it 2 times!
    I’m from Belgium and they remind me so much of our Brussels Waffles and I’m really crazy about those waffles! So I’m just completely fallen in love with your recipe! 😀
    Keep going! I really love your blog!

83. Jen says:

I made these tonight for dinner! Great flavor, made some with coconut flakes also. I do have a question though. I like my waffles crispy on the outside, and although these certainly cooked adequately, they were soft – how do I get them crispy on the outside? I even used less batter per waffle area but still puffs up full and stays soft.

1. Mel says:

Hi Jen,

These came out crispy for me when I left the waffles in the maker for a longer period of time (I just wait until I see barely any steam coming out). I also omitted the 1 extra T. milk/oil. Hope this helps!

84. Ellen says:

I’m cooking these up tonight! I’ll be linking them up in my second annual waffle week on the gruel…

85. Heather says:

I tried these using Trader Joe’s GF flour mix, 3 T. brown sugar as a sweetner (didn’t have anything else on hand!) and Wild Tree’s Butter Flavored (lactose/butter free, apparently the flavor is somehow derived from coconuts?) Grapeseed Oil (again, nothing else on hand… time to go shopping!). I was worried about making substitutions since this was my first time making it, but it turned out delicious! I tripled the recipe given to make enough for my family, but discovered that even tripling it, I only got 4 waffles when I was aiming to get 6. Maybe our waffle maker is larger? Anyhow, it was surprisingly quick and easy, so I just whipped together some more (I had accidentally shredded too much carrot anyway, lol). These were SO good, a total hit with my husband and kids as well. I didn’t have items on hand to make your cream cheese frosting, so I was planning on just making a powdered sugar/almond milk drizzle, but I found some blue frosting I needed to use up, so I diluted that with almond milk and used it. Wow, what an interesting color that brought to the table! My kids thought it was fun and it was quite an interesting looking meal that didn’t disappoint with flavor. We’ll be making these over and over again- probably NEVER topped with blue frosting again, though! LOL Thanks for sharing, I love your non-dessert recipes, they are so helpful when looking for variety and dealing with gluten/egg/dairy allergies! I don’t worry if I have to purchase an ingredient to make one of your recipes because EVERY one I have tried off your site has always turned out great. We must have similar [good] taste!

86. Mel says:

These are now the standard waffle/pancake batter in my house (minus the carrot if I feel so inclined 😀 ). I sometimes add 1 T. of cocoa powder and top them with 1 T. of banana butter for a peanut butter cup pancake!

One question for Katie and everyone; I’m considering going vegan and just recently started researching recipes. Can anyone recommend good resources (besides here obviously 😉 ). Thanks in advance and keep the awesome recipes coming!

87. Anonymous says:

Can you use waffle recipes to make pancakes? I don’t have a waffle maker and I wonder if I could use this recipe to make carrot cake pancakes c:

88. Erin says:

Katie; I love your site and often eat your recipes! I DO wonder though, where do you get your nutrition info?? I’ve got a Bachelor’s in Nutrition and doing some quick calculations on this recipe, JUST the flour has 240 kcal in it. There is no possible way the entire recipe is just 226kcal. Help me figure this out, please. If people are following your recipes because they are delicious, (like I am) wonderful. If people are counting every calorie (and perhaps they shouldn’t) maybe they should know where your calculations are coming from. Just call me curious. Thanks.

1. Hi Erin,
      The recipe makes 2.

89. Lara says:

I just wanted to let you know that I made these for breakfast today and used whole grain spelt flour. They were probably a bit more gooey than yours and a bit less delicate and more.. coarse if I can say so. But I don’t mind gooe and thought they were absolutely delicious!! A bit salty, though but I am really not used to salty food so that shouldn’t be a problem for others.

Thanks for the great recipe, Katie! :) Best wishes, Lara

90. Ritu says:

Made these yesterday and the hubby has requested them tomorrow already! Delicious!

91. Fanny says:

I don’t have access to a waffle maker, do you think these would work as pancakes?

92. Elena says:

These look delicious! Could these be made as pancakes? We got rid of our waffle maker several years ago :(

93. Sarah says:

Hi Katie,

So I love that these are waffles that you don’t have to share! I have been going through your website and I think I’ve already made 6-7 things from it in the past few weeks! I have lately been making one thing a day..

Anyways, I made these but changed it up a bit. I wanted to play off your one Christmas oatmeal so I made zucchini bread chocolate waffles! I substituted the zucchini (same amount) for carrot, used Sunwarrior rice protein powder (it was a breakfast post workout so I wanted more protein–1 Tbsp of the chocolate warrior blend and 1 Tbsp of the vanilla rice powder- the warrior blend has a bitter hemp taste I didn’t want for the waffles), 1/4 cup Bob Red Mill GF AP mix (plus some xantham gum) , and added 1 Tbsp cocoa powder. I also added another Tbsp of almond milk and upped the leavening agents (just something I find makes gluten free things puff up better). Super yummy but I didn’t add enough sweetener for my taste (oops!). Guess I’ll just have to try again. 😀

Thank you again. I love everything I’ve made so far!

94. nati says:

Made these with my s.o. who is not really into vegan food, and they were so delicious!! he really liked them and so did I!

95. PB&JAddict says:

These look scrumptious! Ah Katie, I love you so much for creating this blog! Were the waffles a little dense or fluffy? I might try these saturday for breakfast, but my family are sometimes sceptical of healthy baked goods or breakfasts, so I want to be sure to wow them!

96. says:

OMG, you just saved my sad attempts at dieting. I’ve the biggest sweet tooth, carrot/red velvet cake being one of them. This could keep me on track. Can’t wait to try them!

97. Amanda says:

Has anyone tried this recipe with pumpkin instead of carrots? That sounds so good to me but not sure how I would alter the recipe to accommodate. Any ideas?

98. Tracey says:

These are great!

99. Brandon says:

Hi, I have recently made a lot of your recipes and love them! But the sodium content in most of your baking recipes frightens me, for instance this recipe has over 1100 mg of sodium (when I plugged in the recipe with the ingredients I used) which is really more than half of what an adult should have per day.
    Here’s a link to my version of the recipe:
    Is there any way to reduce the sodium content? Because I love this recipe so much I’m going out to buy some Ener-G and Featherweight Baking Powder but does it really need 1/4 tsp of salt?
    Thank you so much for the great recipes though! I don’t mean to sound critical, so I apologize if I do!
    Thanks Again!

1. Hi Brandon,
      You don’t sound critical at all! Yes, a lot of my recipes are probably on the higher side in terms of sodium. If you’re eating a mostly-non-processed diet high in plant foods, you most likely have much more leeway than someone eating the standard American diet. I don’t worry about sodium from natural sources because I’ve never had an issue with the amount I consume… but I do know that some people DO need to watch their sodium intakes, which is another reason why the nutrition labels can be helpful. I guess you could try lowering the salt amounts in some of my recipes, but the taste might be a little flat. Still, it could be worth a try if you’re ok with the possibility of mediocre results.

100. Sammy says:

I’m not vegan and I love your blog!!! But I want to make these breakfasts with eggs because I just don’t like how vegan pancakes or waffles taste. Since I don’t mind eating egg, how would I use these recipes and alter them with egg? Thanks for the help!!!

101. SN says:

Hi Katie just tried this, but I noticed an eggy kind of taste? Other than omitting the stevia, I followed the recipe exactly. Am I doing something wrong? :(

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It is a vegan recipe. You should not use egg. So how would it be eggy?

102. Lindsey A. says:

Hi! Thank you for this awesomely easy and delicious recipe. We made them this morning and loved them! I quadrupled the recipe and used Vega vanilla chai protein powder for part of the flour. Turned out great! Love your website and all of your recipes, thank you!

103. LS says:

Made the recipe even tho I don’t have a waffle maker… I ended up using a cast iron skillet… also used my home made almond milk, the result was delicious best pancakes ever

104. Chris W. says:

My daughter and I had these for dinner tonight and we loved them! Super yummy. Thanks, Katie!

105. Michelle says:

Hi Katie,
    I’m excited to try this out. What waffle iron do you use?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I know I’m not Katie, but I would recommend a small one that is single serving and not Belgian style.

106. Anna says:

I just made these and oh my goodness they were wonderful! I have to admit I was pretty nervous about using the tofu for the cream cheese frosting but it turned out pretty good! I’d definitely make them again but maybe add walnuts to the batter next time

107. I love your recipes! I have two boys and my husband to please. We make all our food from scratch and I am always looking for healthier alternatives. Sometimes “healthier/lighter” versions are not always that tasty or satisfying for them. So many of these recipes are exactly what I am looking for; they are simple, healthier versions that make everyone happy!

108. Ginger says:

I’ve been trying to check the nutrition, but when I click the link it takes me to another page with the recipe.

1. Wow that is so weird… it completely disappeared from the Recipage site! Sorry about that. Recipage is not my blog, so I’m not sure what could have happened… but the nutrition facts will be very similar to these:

109. Olivia says:

I just made these. They are so good!

110. Molly says:

Hi Katie!
    I love your blog! Right now I’m working on perfecting your Healthy Pop Tarts Recipe (Which I think is amazing so far!) and I was looking through your posts for something else. I saw this recipe and it looks so good, but when I plug the ingredients (using Maple Syrup and Almond milk) I get a little less than twice your nutritional info for waffles. When I use Stevia and your whole measurement of almond milk I get twice exactly and when I plug in agave I get more than that. Do you know what I’m doing wrong?

1. Marissa says:

The recipe makes two waffles. 130 calories each for a total of 260.

111. Vanessa says:

Do you think these would work with almond flour? I’m no expert with flour substituting, and I’m on a paleo diet :)

112. Alanna says:

I’ve been searching for a good (and healthy) waffle recipe for my brother since he’s allergic to eggs and he absolutely loved these! However when I made the batter, I added some extra milk cause it seemed a little too dense to me :p maybe that’s just personal preference. Anyways, it turned out amazing and I will definitely be making these again 😀

113. AnnaBananaBelle says:

I made these this morning and the batter turned out very very dry. when you say “milk of choice” does this include coconut milk? Cuz that’s what i used and maybe the milk was too thick? I used coconut oil too. After adding a bit more milk and some water the batter was a little better though VERY thick compared to a normal waffle batter. Is the batter supposed to be VERY thick? They tasted very good I am just confused as to what happened with the batter. Does anyone know what I could have done wrong?

114. Alejandro Robles Gandarilla says:

Its good, with this a change of things & for the better!!!

115. Alejandro Robles Gandarilla says:

Made ’em this morning, for myself, their good. They came out beautifly fluffy & nice.
    Of course I really dont care about this but it only made 1 and a little bit more than half a waffle for me ☺☺☺

116. Alejandro Robles Gandarilla says:

You cant really taste the carrot

117. Rebecca says:

Hi Katie,

I was wondering if I could use coconut flour for this recipe? Do you know if it would be one for one if I did?

118. Hannah says:

Hi! I’m going to try these out tomorrow! Are nutrition facts based on agave or stevia? Thanks!

119. sona says:

Just made these and they were very good. Will make again. thank you

120. Robin says:

i made this today! Really good, a little dry, but I will definitely make it again. I topped it with home made coconut butter!

121. Sarah says:

Hi! Are the nutrition facts for one waffle, or both?

122. Sarah says:

Hi Katie! These look soooo good! I definitely have a soft spot for carrot cake! Do you think this recipe would work for pancakes as well?