Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Super Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles

These waffles keep you full for hours!

The recipe makes two carrot cake waffles… and you can eat them both.

Soft and indulgent waffles, covered in a thick layer of frosting. It’s almost like eating real carrot cake for breakfast, without that crash-and-burn feeling you get from consuming too much sugar. You can enjoy all the deliciousness of carrot cake, while getting heart-healthy fiber, whole grains, and vitamins at the same time!

Super-Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/22/super-healthy-carrot-cake-waffles/

These waffles are best with coconut butter or my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

carrot

Carrot Cake Waffles

(Makes 2 waffles)

• 1/2 cup spelt flour (or all-purpose or Bob’s gluten-free) (60g)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch stevia extract, or 2 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrot (32g)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice (decrease by 2tbsp if using the agave/syrup) (80g is 1/3c)
  • 1 tbsp more milk of choice or 1 tbsp oil (15g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (4g)

Combine first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Grease your waffle maker, with oil or oil spray (be sure to grease well if using the oil-free version), then let it preheat. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir to make a batter. When the iron is hot, pour half the batter into the center of the iron, and close the lid. (My machine has a light that goes out when the waffle is ready. Don’t lift the lid before the waffle is finished cooking.) Frost these vegan carrot cake waffles with either coconut butter or my healthy cream cheese frosting (linked below the second photo in this post).

View Nutrition Facts

Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles

Link of the Day:

healthy candy

Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs

1. Gabrielle says:

Can’t wait to go home and make my mom make these for me.

I love these sorts of recipes, that co-opt an old unhealthy family staple and make it so that everyone can enjoy it and feel good about it too. It really fosters family bonding.

I know that sounds cheesy, but food can cause such a rift when it’s rejected, so turning it back into a community experience is one of the things I come here for most often.

Thanks :)

-Gabrielle

2. Heather says:

Fun! Have you tried these with oat flour?
    Carrot cake? Yes. Cream cheese frosting? No thank you. I always scraped it off my piece (or cut the top off to be sure all remnants of the frosting have been removed)! :)

1. Sorry, I haven’t. If you try it, let me know the results :).

3. I haven’t had waffles in forever! What a great recipe! I think I will make this for the family on Sunday! Thanks Katie and have a nice weekend!

4. Lisa says:

Shut the front door. These look so yummy! And perfect for Easter! I’ve actually never had carrot cake before, same with pie. I was an odd child who never tried anything haha, but this looks delicious!

5. Olivia says:

Hi Katie! I am so going to make these for lunch today! I am 12 years old, and I adore your blog! It is all I ever talk about to my family… :) I can’t have dairy, gluten or sugar, so I adapt a bunch of your recipes to my needs and I always love them! You inspired me to start my own blog about all the different foods I try… Thank you for all the amazing recipes!

1. Anonymous says:

NO WAY!
      I think you are my long-lost twin.
      -My name is Olivia
      -I’m 12 years old
      -I’m obsessed with this blog
      -I can’t have dairy, eggs, or gluten(ok that one’s slightly different)
      -I adapt Katie’s recipes(and yes i love them)
      -I eat waffles for lunch!
      Sorry if i freaked you out-don’t feel pressured to reply.
      btw Katie ths is the best blog ever!

6. Boy, these sure look good ~ How ironic that I just made a carrot cake, yesterday ~ Guess great minds think alike :-)

7. kira says:

what waffle iron/waffle maker do you have? I’m in the market for a new one since my old one broke. :)

1. It’s called “Toastmaster.” I think it’s pretty old… I stole it from my parents’ house :).

8. that looks absolutely delicious, but i’m more keen on trying your cream cheese frosting.. with tofu… wow, if that tastes as amazing as it looks, wow! You’re a genius!

9. Sharla says:

I’m making carrot cake for the family Easter dinner this year and wondering if I can sneak a cashew cream in on it without anyone noticing 😉

10. Hannah says:

These look so good!

I love carrot cake, and I especially love cake for breakfast. I remember birthdays where we used to eat the leftover birthday cake for breakfast.

11. jane says:

HI!
    I love carrot cake-ish goodies, too!!! For this recipe, do you think the carrots must be shredded for the right amount of moisture and texture or would carrot pulp left from juicing organic carrots be alright–or would it become too mushy? Thanks!…and keep up the sweet sharing!

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it with pulp so I can’t say for sure. If I were to experiment that way, I’d probably replace an equal amount of the milk with the carrot pulp. Then add a little milk if needed.

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the tip.. I think I will save my pulp for a raw carrot dessert and shred for a recipe like this… I would be so sad if it came out all mushy after all the anticipation! :) LOL

2. Ursika says:

I just made them with carrot pulp from juicing and it’s divine. Follow the recipe but then just add about 1-2 tbsp more milk at the end (not too much or they will fall apart).

Delicious Katie, yum :)

12. Ashley says:

When you say 2 waffles, do you mean 2 quarters of a load of waffles or two loads?

1. I’m not sure what you mean by “load,” but the recipe makes 2 full waffles – so double the amount shown in the photos. :)

13. Lizzie says:

In the calorie information, does one serving = one waffle or both? Great recipe!

14. Jessica says:

Yayy! I have just been dying for you to do a waffle recipe, I am def making these for breakfast tommorrow 😀

15. Kaley says:

I was just looking at your blog the other day for carrot cake pancakes! I knew you have so many pancake recipes and so many carrot cake recipes, so I was almost surprised not to find them haha. I think I’ll pull out the waffle iron and give this a try!

16. This looks delicious.. I think I am going to try this but switch up the flour. Thanks for posting! :)

17. Janie says:

Now I need a waffle iron…. fast!

18. Steph says:

Hi Katie,
    Are the nutrition facts based on one or two waffles? Because as far as I know, spelt flour has at least 160 calories per 1/2 cup.

19. Angela Hypio says:

Carrot cake is my FAVORITE! Cannot wait to make these!!!!!

20. Oh, to bad I don’t have a waffle maker…

21. Lee says:

This looks delicious. Think they can be made as pancakes too? Also, are the nutrition facts for the whole recipe, or just per waffle?

1. I don’t see why not! Per waffle.

2. They are DELICIOUS as pancakes.

22. Alyssa says:

These look great! I’ve been craving coconut butter in a major way lately! Also, I have a vegan giveaway on my blog today if you or your readers are interested! Stop on by at
    http://www.glutenfreemuse.com to check it out!

23. Chris says:

Can these be made with protein powder instead of flour? Thanks!

1. Sorry, I really have no idea.

2. Hope says:

I am curious as well! Please post results if you try it!

24. Fran says:

I am obsessed with carrot cakey things at the moment!! These look great, I have no waffle make but carrot cake donuts might be worth a try in my donut maker!

25. Stefanía says:

Ahh!! This sound like a dream! Two of my favourite things ever – carrot cake and waffles. I have to try these :)
    xx

26. To answer the question, I kind of hate carrot cake. I always find it WAYY to sweet. These waffles look super fantastic though, and a great way to get that carrot & cream cheese flavour without being too sweet! Yay for fibre!

27. Sarah says:

WOW. These look amazing. I wonder if they can be done GF?

1. Anonymous says:

It says in the recipe you can use bobs gf :)

1. Sarah says:

Ha…thank you! (smacking forehead)

I do like Bob’s. Will try this.

28. Amazing! I need an excuse like this to use my new-ish wafflemaker.

29. Kara says:

Hi, Katie! I LOVE carrot cake! Seriously – love it. It’s always been my favorite kind of cake. Weird? Maybe. But I just looooove cream cheese frosting, and it tastes amazing with carrot cake. Okay…now that my little drool-fest is over…I’m sad to report that I don’t have a waffle maker. But I’m going to try these babies as pancakes.

On another note, I’m trying my hand at blog-land. Would you mind checking mine out when you get a free second? It’s foundaluckypenny.wordpress.com. It’s pretty bare-bones right now, but maybe some day it will be successful like yours!

1. Will definitely check it out :)

30. Amanda says:

Would this recipe work with equal portion of almond flour instead of spelt?

31. Tanner says:

I love carrot cake! These waffles look delicious, I will totally be making them! Yesterday for lunch I had the single-serve carrot cakerecipe doubled, and SLATHERED in cream cheese frosting! I also tried it as pumpkin, too, because I love pumpkin even more than carrot! I liked it better as pumpkin, but I think I added too much salt to the carrot version :( Anyways, I LOVE CARROT CAKE, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!
    P.S. You have inspired me to be healthier and get more exercise. My puppy and I have become training buddies! Our favorite route is the 2.1 miles to Whole Foods 😉

32. Anonymous says:

Could you make this into pancakes?

33. Mallory says:

What Carrot Cake recipe do you make for Easter? Is it one you’ve blogged before? I made my sister’s Wedding-Carrot-Cake and it had SO much oil! I’d be curious to try a good vegan/healthy version.

1. Yes, the one I blogged about long ago. I’m not sure about how healthy it is, but it’s vegan :).

34. Katie says:

The day has finally come!! I have been looking forward to a CCK waffle recipe! Thank you so much, I will be making these ASAP!! 😀

35. Alanna says:

Oooh, these look so yummy! I actually really hate raw carrots, but carrot cake is okay by me! 😉 Did the shredded carrot get cooked all the way through (soft) with this, or could you still taste a little crunch? If it’s still a bit crunchy I might puree or pre-cook the carrots a bit for myself. Great idea, Katie!

1. Taylor says:

I find that the carrots are nice and soft!

36. Deanna says:

Super excited to try this! I’ve been waiting for a waffle recipe- they’re my favorite breakfast food! Add on a carrot cake version and I’m in heaven :)

37. trajayjay says:

I do adore carrot cake. I love it when vegetables can go into a dessert. It seems like the orange vegetables are reserved for the desserts. Carrot cake, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie. It seems that the orange veggies are sweeter than the purple and green ones. I like that.

Carrots
    Sweet potatoe
    Bell Pepper
    Butternut Squash

All are really good. Why is it that orange vegetables taste the same? But they also have a lot of Vitamin A. But I like how this is your first waffle recipe. I was wondering how you never posted a waffle recipe yet.

38. Hi Katie! I had to stop by and let you know that I made these tonight with absolutely DELICIOUS results :) Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! I am not vegan, so I made a few substitutions and also used a very tiny-holed shredder for my carrots so the shreds were very fine. Here are my non-vegan substitutions in case anyone else is curious:
    I used whole wheat flour
    1 egg white
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1 tbls. melted light butter (brummel and brown)
    1/3 HEAPING cup of FINELY shredded carrot
    I kept the rest the same and topped it with vanilla greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. Delish!
    Thanks again Katie; as always, your recipes are stellar!

39. yum – these look delicious!

40. Anonymous says:

Yummy! Sounds like a fun breakfast to make when you have guests, too :)

41. Absolutely love carrot in everything!! Especially in cakes, puddings etc. And now, I want to add it in waffles :)

42. Bek @ Crave says:

I haven’t had carrot cake in forever- but the one I did like was store bought and so basic….but so good…probably because it was full of nasties haha

43. YUM – this is fabulous, I’m going to try it with half oat flour & half coconut flour.

44. Jenny says:

OH my goodness, my brother and I were just talking about how much we loved carrot cake yesterday and then I checked your blog this morning and discovered this. Thank you, CCK!

45. Brittany says:

I punched the ingredients into a calorie counter. Using maple syrup, the reduced milk, and oil it’s actually 487 calories… just for those interested.

46. Carrot Cake-ish goods are the best! I never thought to combine it into my favorite meal of the day. These waffles look delish :)

47. Lilja says:

Do you know if that recipe works as a pancake, if you add more milk?
    I don’t have a waffle iron and this looks like the best!

48. Skylar says:

Tried it and loooooveeeeed it ;]

49. Lauren Costello says:

Made these this morning for me and my parents (who aren’t vegan) and they were such a success. I want them every day!!! I put one packet of stevia/a little extra carrot in and we ate them with maple syrup.