Super Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles

These waffles keep you full for hours!

The recipe makes two carrot cake waffles… and you can eat them both.

Soft and indulgent waffles, covered in a thick layer of frosting. It’s almost like eating real carrot cake for breakfast, without that crash-and-burn feeling you get from consuming too much sugar. You can enjoy all the deliciousness of carrot cake, while getting heart-healthy fiber, whole grains, and vitamins at the same time!

Super-Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/22/super-healthy-carrot-cake-waffles/

These waffles are best with coconut butter or my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

carrot

Carrot Cake Waffles

(Makes 2 waffles)

• 1/2 cup spelt flour (or all-purpose or Bob’s gluten-free) (60g)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch stevia extract, or 2 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrot (32g)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice (decrease by 2tbsp if using the agave/syrup) (80g is 1/3c)
  • 1 tbsp more milk of choice or 1 tbsp oil (15g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (4g)

Combine first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Grease your waffle maker, with oil or oil spray (be sure to grease well if using the oil-free version), then let it preheat. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir to make a batter. When the iron is hot, pour half the batter into the center of the iron, and close the lid. (My machine has a light that goes out when the waffle is ready. Don’t lift the lid before the waffle is finished cooking.) Frost these vegan carrot cake waffles with either coconut butter or my healthy cream cheese frosting (linked below the second photo in this post).

View Nutrition Facts

Healthy Carrot Cake Waffles

Link of the Day:

healthy candy

Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs

Tags: , , ,

1. Gabrielle says:

Can’t wait to go home and make my mom make these for me.

I love these sorts of recipes, that co-opt an old unhealthy family staple and make it so that everyone can enjoy it and feel good about it too. It really fosters family bonding.

I know that sounds cheesy, but food can cause such a rift when it’s rejected, so turning it back into a community experience is one of the things I come here for most often.

Thanks 🙂

-Gabrielle

2. Heather says:

Fun! Have you tried these with oat flour?
    Carrot cake? Yes. Cream cheese frosting? No thank you. I always scraped it off my piece (or cut the top off to be sure all remnants of the frosting have been removed)! 🙂

1. Sorry, I haven’t. If you try it, let me know the results :).

3. I haven’t had waffles in forever! What a great recipe! I think I will make this for the family on Sunday! Thanks Katie and have a nice weekend!

4. Lisa says:

Shut the front door. These look so yummy! And perfect for Easter! I’ve actually never had carrot cake before, same with pie. I was an odd child who never tried anything haha, but this looks delicious!

5. Olivia says:

Hi Katie! I am so going to make these for lunch today! I am 12 years old, and I adore your blog! It is all I ever talk about to my family… 🙂 I can’t have dairy, gluten or sugar, so I adapt a bunch of your recipes to my needs and I always love them! You inspired me to start my own blog about all the different foods I try… Thank you for all the amazing recipes!

1. Anonymous says:

NO WAY!
      I think you are my long-lost twin.
      -My name is Olivia
      -I’m 12 years old
      -I’m obsessed with this blog
      -I can’t have dairy, eggs, or gluten(ok that one’s slightly different)
      -I adapt Katie’s recipes(and yes i love them)
      -I eat waffles for lunch!
      Sorry if i freaked you out-don’t feel pressured to reply.
      btw Katie ths is the best blog ever!

6. Boy, these sure look good ~ How ironic that I just made a carrot cake, yesterday ~ Guess great minds think alike 🙂

7. kira says:

what waffle iron/waffle maker do you have? I’m in the market for a new one since my old one broke. 🙂

1. It’s called “Toastmaster.” I think it’s pretty old… I stole it from my parents’ house :).

8. that looks absolutely delicious, but i’m more keen on trying your cream cheese frosting.. with tofu… wow, if that tastes as amazing as it looks, wow! You’re a genius!

9. Hannah says:

These look so good!

I love carrot cake, and I especially love cake for breakfast. I remember birthdays where we used to eat the leftover birthday cake for breakfast.

10. jane says:

HI!
    I love carrot cake-ish goodies, too!!! For this recipe, do you think the carrots must be shredded for the right amount of moisture and texture or would carrot pulp left from juicing organic carrots be alright–or would it become too mushy? Thanks!…and keep up the sweet sharing!

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it with pulp so I can’t say for sure. If I were to experiment that way, I’d probably replace an equal amount of the milk with the carrot pulp. Then add a little milk if needed.

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the tip.. I think I will save my pulp for a raw carrot dessert and shred for a recipe like this… I would be so sad if it came out all mushy after all the anticipation! 🙂 LOL

1. Ursika says:

I just made them with carrot pulp from juicing and it’s divine. Follow the recipe but then just add about 1-2 tbsp more milk at the end (not too much or they will fall apart).

Delicious Katie, yum 🙂

11. Ashley says:

When you say 2 waffles, do you mean 2 quarters of a load of waffles or two loads?

1. I’m not sure what you mean by “load,” but the recipe makes 2 full waffles – so double the amount shown in the photos. 🙂

12. Lizzie says:

In the calorie information, does one serving = one waffle or both? Great recipe!

13. Jessica says:

Yayy! I have just been dying for you to do a waffle recipe, I am def making these for breakfast tommorrow 😀

14. Kaley says:

I was just looking at your blog the other day for carrot cake pancakes! I knew you have so many pancake recipes and so many carrot cake recipes, so I was almost surprised not to find them haha. I think I’ll pull out the waffle iron and give this a try!

15. This looks delicious.. I think I am going to try this but switch up the flour. Thanks for posting! 🙂

16. Janie says:

Now I need a waffle iron…. fast!

17. Steph says:

Hi Katie,
    Are the nutrition facts based on one or two waffles? Because as far as I know, spelt flour has at least 160 calories per 1/2 cup.

18. Angela Hypio says:

Carrot cake is my FAVORITE! Cannot wait to make these!!!!!

19. Oh, to bad I don’t have a waffle maker…