Healthy Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies

These are chocolate fudge zucchini brownies:

Rich, fudgy, moist chocolate brownies - with a secret! The zucchini makes these brownies MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH without the fat… This recipe is to die for! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/ @choccoveredkt

This is me:

chocolate covered katie car

These are some more chocolate fudge zucchini brownies:

Rich, chocolatey, moist, fudgy brownies from @choccoveredkt with a secret ingredient – zucchini! The recipe is to die for! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/

And here are some healthy chocolate zucchini brownies after they’ve met me:

empty brownie plate

Hey, where’d they all go?? 😕

Disappeared, as if by magic. That is what happens when you leave me alone in a room of brownies. And now I am dreaming of being left alone in a room full of brownies…

Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies

This zucchini brownie recipe has quickly become one of my personal favorite recipes on the entire blog – and it’s a huge reader favorite as well! They are soft and moist and oh-so fudgy… You will fall in LOVE!

pin-it

Healthy Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies

Print This Recipe 4.9/5
4.9/510

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (100g)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (80g)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp water (270g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp flaxmeal (18g)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (115g)
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (65g)
  • 1 cup coconut flour (135g) (Coconut-free recipes are linked at the very bottom of this post.)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (150g)
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia extract, or 2 extra tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
Total Time: 20m
Yield: 20-24 squares

Instructions

Recipe for zucchini brownies: Preheat oven to 350F, and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients and let sit at least 5 minutes. (Tip: shred zucchini in a food processor for fine shreds.) Combine all other ingredients in a separate bowl, and stir very well. Pour wet into dry, stir until evenly mixed, then pour into the baking dish. Using a full sheet of parchment or wax paper, press down very firmly until the brownie batter evenly covers the pan. Bake 19-20 minutes, then pat down hard with a pancake spatula or another sheet of parchment. (If still undercooked, it’s fine. Just fridge overnight and they’ll firm up!) Let zucchini brownies sit 15 minutes before trying to cut into squares, and if at all possible wait until the next day to eat them. They will be twice as flavorful! Tip: as a general rule, cutting brownies with a plastic knife prevents crumbling. Makes 20-24 squares. (Frosting recipe is below the next photos.)

View Zucchini Brownies Nutrition Facts

Rich, chocolatey, moist, fudgey brownies from @choccoveredkt with a secret ingredient – zucchini! They are to die for! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/  Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies

Frost the coconut flour brownies with either my recipe for Healthy Chocolate Frosting or with the following:

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder (40g)
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave (30g)
  • 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted (75g)

Mix frosting ingredients together to form a sauce. Spread sauce over the zucchini brownies, then fridge or freeze 10-20 minutes and the sauce magically transforms into fudgey chocolate frosting! These brownies taste much richer the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to intensify. Due to the melty nature of the frosting, frosted brownies are best stored in the fridge or freezer (they thaw well). These healthy brownies are high in fiber and Vitamin C, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, vegan, low in sugar (or sugar-free), and they even offer Omega 3s!

COCONUT-FREE BROWNIES:

pumpkin-brownie

Pumpkin Pie Brownies

Black Bean Brownies

Peanut Butter Buckeye Brownies – (reader favorite recipe)

Guinness Brownies

Cookie Dough Brownies

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Kate says:

Katie, these look amazing! And you are absolutely gorgeous! Brownies are by far by favorite dessert so I love when you post healthier versions of them!

2. Hannah says:

Awesomeness in the form of a zucchini brownie! These look amazing! You rock, Katie!

3. SusanF says:

Thanks Katie,
    I have been searching for a fudgie brownie recipe and the fact that this has zucchini in it as well is just the icing on the cake so to speak.

4. Lisa says:

These look so fudgey!
    Yum.
    Definitely need to try them out!
    And I love zucchinis so that’s just perfect.

5. Susan says:

Beautiful photo of you, Katie. (The brownies are beautiful as well.)

6. Amy McCann says:

KATIE! I love you (I tell you this all the time), You’re amazing (I tell you that too)but, so many recipes are for a couple peeps. We have more than a couple peeps at our house. My bestie and I make all sorts of your recipes and she has more than a couple peeps. THIS RECIPE IS FOR US!! Makes 20-24 brownies, THANK YOU! BTW, I know I just double the recipe, but sometimes I just want to make something and not refigure it! I have to do it for pretty much everything I make! This is for dessert night
    Saturday!

1. Anonymous says:

I share your sentiments! I’m not lazy so conversion is no big deal to me really, but sometimes I’m in a rush or forget to double some ingredients and mess up the whole recipe. So I’m also grateful for a pre-converted recipe : )
      And btw Katie you DO look beautiful here! (A little different up close, actually.) And I do appreciate the single recipes when I bake small.

7. C says:

I don’t have coconut flour – can I substitute with white whole wheat? Or can I grind up some shredded coconut (unsweetened) that I have on hand and “make” coconut flour?

1. Alanna says:

My guess is no on just subbing whole wheat flour, since Katie linked a couple other recipes that use regular flour… they don’t behave the same way since coconut flour is gluten-free. You could always try it (maybe leave out the flaxmeal, since I think that’s the binding agent?), but you might be better off using a different brownie recipe. No idea how you make coconut flour!

2. Trish says:

If you grind coconut flakes you’ll just get coconut butter. Making flour is a bit more involved. Here are instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Coconut-Flour-With-Flaked-Coconut

3. Tanya says:

FYI-I subbed whole wheat flour for the coconut and they came out just fine. Super scrumptious!!!

1. BakeMeABallerina says:

Thanks for sharing!!! I dont have coconut flour so this will help a ton!

2. melanie says:

thank you ssooo much for this i was really counting on making these so reading your comment saved me life!

1. Scinia says:

Hi Melanie,
          How did your recipe sans coconut flour work? Curious to know as i too wish to try it with whole wheat flour.

3. Cindy Roper says:

I love these. I also used ground whole wheat.I used fresh zucchini, with peelingstill on it, and Apple’s instead of the sauce. (From the garden and trees out back). We’ve had so many Apple pies. So, nice change. Didn’t use the 🍁 syrup, instead plumped raisins. I froze the extra batter for another day.

4. michelle says:

WOW. I’m surprised that it would turn out fine with wheat flour in place of coconut> Did you decrease the water, or increase the flour? I’ve always read that coconut flour requires a lot more wet ingredients than wheat flours.

I haven’t made these brownies yet, but am planning to–a rating was required to post a comment, so, I’ve based my rating on my prior experiences with CCK recipes and my prediction of how good these will be.

5/5

5/5

8. I love zucchini brownies and I really love making my friends guess the “secret” ingredient. Excited to have a new version to try!

9. Rachel says:

This is definitely going to be my next baking endeavor. Maybe Sunday because I just made brownies on Wednesday…

10. These are such a good idea! I love zucchini in chocolate muffins, they add a nice fudgey texture, so I have to imagine they’re pretty perfect in brownies :)

11. Kinzie says:

I can barely stand how cute you are, Katie. What a doll.

Oh, and these brownies look good. :)

12. Danielle says:

YUM! Can’t wait to make these!
    – Danielle

13. These look so fudgy and delicious!!

14. Kelly Wangie says:

Ok ok I know I should comment on how amazing those brownies look , but you look even AMAZING-ER :)

15. Pam says:

Katie~I’ve never seen coconut flour. Help!

1. Alanna says:

Google is your friend, lol. 😉 You might be able to find it at a local health-food store, but lots of places online, too. Otherwise, just try one of her other brownie recipes that use regular flour.

16. Ohh baby those look so good!! I’m definitely going to give them a whirl this weekend :)

They look like the perfect post-workout snack!

17. Anonymous says:

Your hair is absolutely fabulous! Are those curls natural?

1. I spent just about a minute curling just the ends up with a curling iron. Normally, my hair is pretty straight.

18. Carissa says:

I have ground flax – is that the same as flaxmeal?

Thanks!

1. Michele says:

Yes I think it’s the same.

19. Zucchini must me in the water lately – everyone is baking with it! I have a microwave protein zucchini bread up today for the #strangebutgood link up.

Totally going to try it with chocoalte next – great idea!

20. I have always had a problem adding vegetables to bake goods, looking forward to trying this recipe especially since zucchini is in season..