Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches

Better known as Chipwiches!

Easy Homemade Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/08/22/chipwich-ice-cream-sandwiches/

The first time I ever tried a Chipwich was at a Texas Rangers baseball game, and I remember thinking, “Two cookies, chocolate chips, and ice cream all in the same wrapper?

This must be the best dessert EVER!”

Chipwiches

I pretty much still believe that :).

(Today’s recipe is a raw version… if you prefer the classic, use my Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe in place of the cookie recipe listed below. Follow the same directions for shaping into Chipwiches.)

chipwitch

Chipwich Ice Cream Sandwiches

• Packed 1 1/2 cups pitted dates (160g) (I like SunMaid, which are softer)
  • 3/4 cup raw nuts (Try walnuts, cashews, macadamias, or a combination.)
  • 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • at least one circle cookie cutter
  • 1 ice cream recipe (or vanilla ice cream of choice)
  • mini chocolate chips, for decoration

If using my homemade ice cream recipe (linked above), prepare it about an hour ahead of time, so that it is soft but not melty, and keep frozen.

Add the first 4 ingredients to a high-quality food processor (the mixture comes out much stickier in a blender, but it technically can be done). Process until fine crumbles form. If mixture is too dry, add up to 1 tbsp water—but no more. Pour the entire mixture into a gallon-sized plastic bag, and smush into a ball. Still in the bag, roll out the dough. Cut open the bag and use a cookie cutter to make circles. Put the cookie cutter over one of the cut-out cookies, then spread a scoop of ice cream on top, filling the cookie cutter to the edges. Place a second sandwich cookie on top and freeze 10 minutes. When ice cream firms up, pop the sandwich out of the cookie cutter, decorate with mini chocolate chips, and store in the freezer in an airtight container. Repeat to make the other Chipwiches. (Note: you will only use about half the ice cream recipe, but it’s important to make the entire batch for optimum blending. The only way I could’ve used the whole recipe would’ve been to double the crust recipe… and that would make for a very angry food processor!)These can be frozen for up to a month—the ice cream will harden; so be sure to thaw, until ice cream is soft again, before eating.

View Nutrition Facts

vegan chipwich Chipwiches

Question of the Day:

Do you ever go to baseball games?

Any favorite teams? And favorite snacks? When I was really little and went to Phillies games, I’d always get a Lemon Chill, eat the entire thing, and then feel really cold for the rest of the game. But after discovering Chipwiches, I never went back to Lemon Chills… for obvious reasons!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. These look awesome! So simple, which is the best!

2. I LOVE baseball! It’s my favorite and I’ve been to tons of games. This sure does look like the best dessert ever!

3. Lisa Ernst says:

Hi Katie! I can’t believe I just discovered your blog. I’ve been a baking/dessert blog aficionado for 5 years now and an avid baker myself. About 15 years ago I started focusing on creating vegan, low or no sugar desserts and never looked back. I have a small repertoire of favorites, but nothing like the vast array of delicious looking desserts you have on this blog. I can’t wait to try many of them!! Your ice cream sandwiches look yummy and remind me of an old favorite — I used to bake chocolate chip cookies and while still warm and the chocolate still gooey, I would create sandwiches to eat right away. Pure heaven! Now I want to do that again. But first I must try some of your awesome looking recipes.

4. Rebecca says:

I too am so happy to have recently discovered your blog! I feel like your recipes were made for me, there are so many I can’t wait to try! Looking forward to this one, but right now I am about to make my second batch of your coconut crack bars. Thank you for your recipes!

5. Oh these look delicious! Chipwiches were my favorite dessert as a kid. I always got them at the pool in the summer.

6. What cute little packages of chocolate cookie joy! Love it Katie.

7. These look good! I love the idea of it being raw. (and with dates; yum!)
    I can imagine these taste like cookie dough and ice cream. <3 love.
    pinning!

8. Diana says:

I love baseball! It’s my favorite sport! I’ve been to many, many baseball games including in the Rangers, Astros, Yankees, Nationals, and Rockies’ stadiums!

9. Wow these sounds amazing, can’t wait to make them!

10. Kathleen Lawson says:

I looooove baseball! 😀
    It’s been a while since I’ve been to a Seattle Mariner game (due to pricey tickets), but me and my family used to go there a lot when the tickets weren’t so expensive. We usually didn’t buy the food there (also very expensive), but we would pack our own lunches for day games and dinner for night games. My mom would always bring a big container of chocolate chip cookies for our seventh inning stretch snack. :)

11. Emily says:

whoa these look so good! would the cookies taste kinda like your larabars since they’re dates and nuts? or do they taste different because of the vanilla? i really wanna try these out!!!

12. Emily says:

whoa these look SOOO good! would the cookies taste kinda like your larabars since they’re dates and nuts? or does the vanilla do something magical and make it taste completely different? i gotta try these!!

1. Emily says:

sorry i posted that twice my computer was freaking out :(

13. carolyn says:

I pretty much detest all forms of organized sports… the only sporting event I watch is the super bowl, and that’s because of the fact that everyone’s going to talk about it the day after it airs and I’m out of the loop enough without throwing that in there.

However if there was any sporting event involving chocolate I might have to see that live

14. Loved the chipwich! Love baseball too. I grew up in Boston and baseball was like religion there. I lived right across the street from Fenway and we went to tons of games.

15. I use to be obssesed with chipwich back in the day. I haven’t had one for so long but oh my, I need to try and make these one day!

16. Cara says:

Cannot wait to try these this weekend! The cookie portion sounds similar to Homemade Larabars — one of my absolute favorites!

17. These are adorable…and I’m sure delicious too! 😉

18. Maxine says:

The only baseball games I’ve been to are my parents’. They were in the local team ‘The Harriers’, friendly games but still fun to watch! Yes, hello cookie ingredients, meet my blender, and prepare to spread yummy goodness amongst my family!

19. Nicole @ FruitnFitness says:

Holy Batman Deliciousness! These sound wonderful, I love ice cream sandwiches and how much healthier these are than the typical ones.