Chocolate Chai Tea Oatmeal

I made the mistake of walking outside yesterday.

Chocolate Breakfast Oatmeal

And then immediately turned right back around.

washington dc weather

Just… no.

Chocolate Chai Oatmeal

I love how they feel the need to write “very cold” under the temperature. As if seeing –12 didn’t already make that abundantly clear.

There’s something about abysmally-cold weather that screams comfort food. And this healthy breakfast recipe, which combines spicy chai tea, dark chocolate, and creamy oatmeal is pure comfort food in a bowl. Feel free to triple up on the chocolate by adding chocolate chips and Healthy Chocolate Sauce.

Chocolate Breakfast Oatmeal

Chocolate Chai Oatmeal

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (40g)
  • 1 cup water or milk of choice (240g)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice (120g)
  • 2 chai tea bags (decaf or regular)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cocoa powder (4g)
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (2g)
  • 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil or peanut butter (optional, but much richer if added)
  • mini chocolate chips, optional

If using the microwave: heat the water and milk, then add the teabags and let sit for no less than 15 minutes. Right before removing the teabags, smush the tea bags a little with a fork so more of the flavor goes into the milk. Combine the liquid with the oats and salt, then microwave 3 minutes. (If it starts to boil over, you may stop the microwave and keep heating in ten-second increments until the time is up. But don’t open the microwave door.) Let oatmeal sit in the closed microwave 5 minutes, then transfer–uncovered—to the refrigerator. It gets thicker as it sits, but if you want to eat it immediately simply use a little less water and cook longer. Right before eating, add all remaining ingredients and stir well.

If you wish to use the stovetop: after soaking the tea bags in warm liquid, simply heat the oats, salt, and tea soaking liquid until oatmeal is thick and fluffy. Then stir in all remaining ingredients.

Click for: Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

Chocolate Chai Oatmeal

Question of the Day:

Was it freezing cold yesterday for you too?

Apparently every single state—even Hawaii!—dipped below freezing at some point during the day. However, maybe I shouldn’t complain about our weather here in Washington… To people in Minnesota and Chicago, it probably sounds like a tropical vacation.

zucchini fries
……..Crispy Zucchini Fries

Tags: , , , , ,

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Yum! I might have to make that tomorrow. I think it was -1 where my mom was yesterday, and wind chill made it feel like -20! So ridiculous

2. This looks great Katie! I have come across a few recipes for chai bread and porridges recently, I might try my hand on this in the near future! 😀

Wishing you all the best for 2014 🙂
    x J

3. Amanda says:

Hi – I noticed the same thing in the sugar cookie oatmeal recipe – what is the theory/reason behind not opening the microwave door? Thanks!

1. D says:

I’ve never tried it, but I believe that opening the microwave door immediately after cooking the oats could cause a small explosion? I could be wrong though.

2. EVA says:

It’s the same with making a baked potato. You keep the microwave door closed and it traps the heat. So, using the baked potato as an example, if you don’t open the door after it’s finished heating up, the heat from the cooking is trapped and keeps the potato warm and moistens it.

For oatmeal, if you keep the door closed, it’ll absorb the liquid more and puff up, allowing all the contents to soak in. No explosions! If you see an explosion, you probably just microwaved it for too long and it happen during the heating process. Been dere done dat.

3. Amanda says:

Follow up : I’m eating this now for lunch and it is delicious! I made it exactly as stated, including the 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil. Yum!!!

4. Juli Smith says:

Skip the microwave! Microwaves, though convenient, ruin the quality of our food. I once read about a science fair experiment that used different types of water to see if there were any different effects on plant growth (bottled, tap, cooled microwaved waters, for example.) The plant that received the microwaved water sort of grew, but it looked so sickly and failed to thrive! And that is just water! I can only imagine what microwaving does to the rest of our food. My family of 6 is moving slowly away from microwave use. Honestly, it really isn’t taking much longer to cook and re-heat in the oven or on the stove top – it’s more a new habit to develop and get used to. 🙂

1. Marquess says:

I really appreciate your dedication to eating healthily Juli, but microwaves are (when used responsibly!) one of the healthiest ways to cook food. It heats food evenly, and so doesn’t expose any part of the meal to high, protein-denaturing temperatures.

Happy cooking!

4. I love the idea of adding tea to flavor oatmeal, I tried an overnight oats recipe a couple years ago with chai tea, guess I should do it again!

5. D says:

Another oatmeal recipe! Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!

6. Yum! This looks super good.
    It was definitely cold for us yesterday. -12 with a windchilll of -28. Brrr!

7. EVA says:

YES I was going to make the reliable banana oatmeal tonight, but thank god the timing was just right and you posted a new oatmeal flavor. I don’t like tea, but I’m sure the chocolate drowns it out enough to where it’ll barely phase me.

As for the temps, I live in Kenosha, Wisconsin (45 minutes north of Chicago), and with windchill, it’s been -42 degrees for two days straight now. AND THAT DIDN’T EVEN BREAK A TEMPERATURE RECORD! Good ol’ upper Midwest.

1. Sophie Bolich says:

Honestly!! School in my state of Wisconsin was cancelled for two days because the temp hit -45. Nice and chilly here in the Midwest! P.s. I almost yelled put loud when I saw this post because chocolate and chai are my absolute favorite ever I the world flavors. I couldn’t be happier right now!

8. Kathy says:

The temperature was Minus 11 when I left for work yesterday in Central PA. When I left work to come home in the afternoon, it was a high of ZERO!! Way too cold for any normal human to be out!!! Can’t wait to try the oatmeal recipe. Everything tastes better with chocolate added!!

9. Cindy says:

I’ve never tried chai tea (nor do I have teabags for that), but I do have decaf green tea individual bags, and rooibos individual tea bags. Would one of those work ok? Does the chai flavor come out really strong in this? I’m not a strong-tea flavor sort of gal… Or maybe I could just leave that out entirely?

1. chocolate covered katie says:

You can definitely use rooibos tea bags instead :).

10. Hollie says:

I agree about wanting comfort food in this cold weather. That is seriously is all I want right now. -12 is about what we had with wind chill yesterday. The coldest I’ve ever witnessed was -30 when I was in college in Upstate, NY. I was visiting Lake Placid with my parents and I have truly never been that cold ever.

11. Marguerite says:

I am going to make this recipe this morning. Sounds Soooooo good. Compared to you guys it is tropical out west- 48 degrees right now. But we need rain. Please do a rain dance for us.

12. We had wind chills of -40 the other day. Needless to say, I stayed inside like you! Moving to a colder climate, did you have to buy a bunch of new clothes? Sounds like a great excuse for a shopping trip to me 😉

1. chocolate covered katie says:

It’s actually not much different here than in Texas. Dallas does get cold in the winter, so sadly no excuse for a new wardrobe ;).

1. Ayaka says:

Hahaha. That is being very good! I would make any excuse to buy new clothing 😉

13. Pamela says:

It was 7 but “feels like 4” … the really motivated runners in the office still ran. Perhaps the free gloves and hat were great motivators but, I only had capri pants to run in so… no. I ran in 30 degree weather last week. It was nice after 5 minutes and for the following 15. Then my skin began to feel like burning. Oatmeal wins!

14. Allison says:

Oooh, this looks delicious! I’m definitely going to have to try this. In the Detroit-ish area, it got down to -35° with the windchill. Way too cold.

15. Karen w says:

You are very right that positive 6 sounds like tropical vacation to those of us in Chicago. I only went outside once yesterday for about one second just to feel how cold it was, but I’m pretty sure it was below 0 most of yesterday and all of they day before. As my dad pointed out, it was probably the first time ever that the city was shut down because of cold rather than snow. I certainly did enjoy having two extra days of winter break!

16. I’ve been craving warm drinks, oatmeal and Italian food ALL week. Cold weather definitely sparks the cravings for comfort food! I adore the spicy taste of Chai – never thought of adding it to my oats! Thanks for the idea 😀

17. Eryn Cha says:

-20 c is a norm for me in north british columbia. Everyday for our 6 onmonths of winter we reach below zero. Its reaches -40 occasionaly too. Love your site tjou! Keep up the good wor

18. Kayla Marie says:

If it makes you feel any better, it was LITERALLY -21 here the other day – not including wind chill. Brrrrrrrrr!

19. Rachel says:

I have some instant chai latte mix. You think I could simply make the appropriate amount of chai and then proceed with the recipe?

20. Kathryn says:

Just finished eating this for breakfast. My husband, who doesn’t normally like chai, loved it, and my picky 3yr old enjoyed it. Thanks for the great recipe Katie! 🙂