Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

I have a problem.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/01/24/cinnamon-roll-pancakes/

Every time I set foot in an IKEA store, I feel this sudden desire to go crazy and buy every last BESTÅ, every LUFTIG, every AKURUM and LYRIC and BERGSBO and KIVIK. Then I want to rush home, invite over all my friends, and eat KANELSNÄCKA (that would be “cinnamon rolls”) while we assemble my new dream apartment.

Luckily, last month I had an actual, legitimate excuse to do exactly this!

Cinnamon Bun Pancakes

I bought the KIVIK couch, the BESTÅ shelves, and the HEMNES drawers, laid all the pieces out on the empty apartment floor (remember my soccer ball room?), and proceeded to build my dreams. When I was done, I was very proud.

However there was still that KANELSNÄCKA to see about…

Cinnamon Pancakes

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Adapted from Oatmeal Pancakes

• tightly-packed 1 cup dates (140g)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice

Blend everything together in a small food processor (scraping the sides down occasionally) for a long time until completely smooth. Transfer to a small plastic bag, making sure to get every last bit out. (Make sure all air is out of bag, then close with a rubber band.) Cut just the very edge off one corner of the bag. Now set in the fridge and make your pancakes:

• 1 cup Bob’s gluten-free flour or spelt or all-purpose flour (130g)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp uncut stevia or 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave
  • just under level 1 cup milk of choice (increase to 1 cup plus 2 tbsp if using stevia version)
  • 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (20g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Only if using the gluten-free flour, add 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes: Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl, and stir very well. Whisk together all liquid ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour the dry into wet, and stir to form a batter. (If the batter is too thin, just add a little more flour until you get a pancake-esque batter.) Lightly grease a medium skillet, and place over medium heat. When the pan is hot (see tip below), turn to low and drop one small ladelful into the pan. Immediately take your filling bag and squeeze in a swirl pattern over the pancake. Repeat with other pancakes. Flip pancakes with a spatula when the edges begin to look dry. Allow to cook one minute more, then remove from heat. I piped on my Healthy Cream Cheese frosting, but you can use any favorite frosting. Makes 20-24 pancakes (the size of the ones in the photos). You’ll have a lot of filling left over, but it’s best to make the whole amount for smooth blending. If you have a giant food processor, you might even want to make a double batch. TIP: Test the heat of your skillet by throwing a few drops of water onto the surface. When the water sizzles, the pan is ready for the pancake batter.

Click for: Cinnamon Roll Pancakes Nutrition Facts

Cinnamon Bun Pancakes. Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/01/24/cinnamon-roll-pancakes/

Question of the Day: Have you ever been to IKEA?

Does walking through yours make you crave cinnamon rolls as much as mine does? Link of the Day:

pb
75+ Healthy Peanut Butter Recipes

Happy National Peanut Butter Day!

Tags: , , ,

1. Kara says:

Wow! Theses look fabulous!

2. These look beautiful, love the swirl pattern you made too. Yummy!

3. Mia says:

You would use the extra filling to make pancake sandwiches… ugh I’m getting so hungry now!! hehe

4. Kelly says:

I checked the nutritional value. So, we can eat 10 of these, which is half the recipe, with only 290cal?
    This is like dreams come true !!

5. Hollie says:

I’ve seen a few of these variations on instagram but yours are really cute. When I was traveling home from college I would stop at Ikea and spend far too much on new apartment things. Now I’ve honestly found some of my most prized possessions at thrift stores. They have some great furniture there!

6. Kyla says:

Oh, isn’t this the craziest thing? I was planning on making pancakes later today, and then I found this. I gasped, too, because they looked so delish! Another bonus: I have this big bag of dates that I was gonna throw away, wasting them, but now I don’t need to!! Yay for dates and pancakes!!! I have been to Ikea- when I was a little girl. I would go into the playroom, and dart for the ball pit because I like being buried in plastic balls. Either that, or I’d go on a spinny chair and spin around. Nowadays I don’t live near an Ikea, so I haven’t been there.

7. EVA says:

That’s it. I have no room in my dorm for a blender but this recipe has made it necessary that I get one and MAKE a place to store it.

I’m always so overwhelmed with low low prices whenever I walk into IKEA that the three hours I spend there is usually me imagining my ideal home. Although, last time I went, I saw they had a gluten free almond cake that was unfortunately not dairy free. So I thought about that the whole ride home.

1. Alanna says:

Get a mini food processor! I have one from Cuisinart (they come in lots of fun colors), and it doesn’t hold much but it’s a perfect size for things like dates and single-serve banana ice cream, and it’s really compact. Easy to clean, too!

1. EVA says:

Thanks for the suggestion! If it’s cheap, then I’ll just forego the toaster oven I was going to buy and get the processor instead! But they better have a blue one.

1. Alanna says:

I think I paid around $40 for mine… not sure what a toaster over costs. LOL I’m sure they do have a blue one… mine is purple! (c:

1. Alanna says:

*oven

2. EVA says:

SWEET! $40 is acceptable for my budget. My mom wanted to get me a NutriBullet, but that’s more of a smoothie thing and I am not a smoothie type of person. This lil’ gem sounds like it’s a LOT more worth it.

3. Alanna says:

I find it very handy. The only thing I don’t like is that it’s really loud, but it’s tolerable since I only run it for short bursts. Be careful, though… the S-blade is sharp!

4. EVA says:

Haha how did you know I was prone to cutting myself? Can’t even trust me with an Xacto knife! Well my popcorn maker sounds like a bulldozer and I use that at least once a week, so I think the roaring of a food processor won’t challenge my earbuds too badly.

5. EVA says:

Making friends on chocolatecoveredkatie.com. GOTTA LOVE THIS SITE!

8. Emma of Zimt says:

Dang, Katie! Way to go all out!

Have I ever been to Ikea… did I used to put Ikea on my list of places I wanted to go during the summer as a kid (ok young adult whatever)? YES. I used to pick out my dream room – there was one in particular I remember loving- bunk beds. How rad!

Congratulations on your grown up purchases! Must be snazzy =)

9. Catherine says:

I love your site and all of your posts! This idea is so creative, and YES going into Ikea makes me want to get all the cinnamon rolls. If you’d like, check out my blog for fun vegan recipes! XOXO

10. Well these were way easier than I expected. Great idea with the date puree swirl!

Please tell me you are going to post pictures of your finished rooms. Let us college gals dream…. IKEA > bunk beds. Haha.

1. Ooh that’s a good idea. I can definitely do that! 🙂

11. No, no, no, this looks too delicious Katie!
    I love going to Ikea, if even just to feel a little more at home (being a Norwegian in Scotland sometimes has its downsides when the home-food-cravings comes along), AH and the meatballs!
    I might just have to try this one day, first, I need a proper food processor, looks amazing though! 😀 Happy Friday! x

12. Katy says:

IKEA is the best! I just struggle going there because of the crowds. I could stomach it if I had some of these yummy pancakes to come home to. 🙂 Pinned!

13. Emilylovesraisins says:

these pancakes are like my dreams (the good ones) put into edible form! AHH they’re so beautiful!
    Ikea… oh man that store is NOT okay. the smell of apple pie and cinnamon rolls is SO AHMAZING! you’d think the manager would NOT want customers drooling all over the furniture. Lol 😛

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

OH YEAH i had something i HAD to share with someone! This might sound a little crazy but here I go: I have discovered CHOCOLATE SOUP!!!
      -2 TBS cocoa powder
      -2 TBS (or maybe more for a less intense flavor) water
      -2-3 packets truvia (I like 2 for dark chocolate soup)
      -Extracts, cinnamon, add-ins, etc
      Mix it all together and eat!

PS i apologize if i have accidentally copied someone’s recipe, let me know if i have! 🙂

ps. I apologi

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

oops ignore that last ps

14. Steph says:

Haha, your IKEA story is hilarious! Even better though, are those pancakes! they look just like a cinnamon roll- only flattened! 😀

15. Lydia says:

These pancakes kill two birds with one stone! I love cinnamon rolls, and I love cinnamon pancakes, and these are the best of both worlds.

Ok, I think I’m the only one who doesn’t like ikea. I’ve only been there once and it was awful! I went with my family to shop for furniture for my brother’s new apartment… for 5 HOURS. Haha he’s so indecisive. I was bored out of my mind! For a while it was fun being in a store that big, but staring at bed frames gets boring after a while. Then we had to find the stuff in the storage area, then we had to assemble it! We did that for another 2 hours. I was so tired I was about to pass out. Since then I’ve refused to go back

16. Kate @ Coffee with Kate says:

Ikea is the best. So overwhelming. Wish there was one closer to me! Actually, maybe I don’t …

17. Uhm, what. 29 calories per pancake? Get in my mouth. All of you.

18. I love going to Ikea — my favourite things are for sure the cinnamon buns and stalking up on cheap scented candles which always seem to make an apartment more cozy! Love this recipe and just in time for Sunday morning brunch!! 🙂 Good luck assembling the Ikea furniture! 🙂

19. Autumn says:

You should check out meetup.com. We have used this to meet people who have similar interests as us.

20. Julie says:

Well, nobody else in the family wanted pancakes but I really wanted to try the cinnamon/date spread so I made it then put it in oatmeal. HOLY MOLY!!! So good, so simple, so fantastic!! Thank you. I’ll make the pancakes another time but today was cinnamon roll oatmeal. Mmmmmmm!!