Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake

Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/02/06/healthy-chocolate-lava-cake/

I’m in Valentine’s Day mode.

Fresh berries, red wine, an exorbitant amount of dark chocolate…

Healthy Chocolate Mini Molten Lava Cake

Really, I guess that’s my everyday mode. :)

Molten Lava Cake

A "no guilt" chocolate mug cake from @choccoveredkt with warm and gooey chocolate in every bite, ready in under 5 minutes! Get the recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/02/06/healthy-chocolate-lava-cake/

But honestly what’s the point of waiting until February 14th? This quick chocolate lava cake is easy to make, secretly good for you, and deliciously rich. Top it with Healthy Chocolate Sauce to make it even more chocolatey. And upon breaking into the cake, you will find a gorgeous pink berry filling that pours out like molten lava.

It’s much too good to save for once a year.

Healthy Chocolate Mini Molten Lava Cake

Chocolate Raspberry Lava Cake

Adapted from The Famous Chocolate Mug Cake

• 3 tbsp spelt, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf flour
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp dutch or unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp sugar of choice or xylitol
  • pinch stevia or 1 extra tbsp sugar of choice
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 1/2 tsp vegetable or coconut oil (Although I don’t personally like the cake when applesauce is subbed for the oil, many commenters do think it tastes good this way. Sub at your own risk.)
  • 2 tbsp mashed raspberries or raspberry jam (If using the raspberries, feel free to mix in a little of your favorite sweetener.)
  • small handful mini chocolate chips, optional

If using the oven, preheat to 350F. Grease a small dish or 1-cup ramekin. In a separate small bowl, combine first 6 ingredients and stir very well. Add the oil, vanilla, and milk and stir to form a batter. Spoon half the batter into the greased dish, spoon the raspberries and optional chocolate chips on top (only in the middle of the batter), then top off with remaining chocolate batter. Either microwave 30-40 seconds or bake 13-14 minutes. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to wait for it to cool before trying to remove the cake.

View Lava Cake Nutrition Facts

reeses frosting

If desired, top with any of my 30+ Healthy Frosting Recipes.

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Consider my day made. This looks so good!

2. I love your single serving recipes! If it’s not cookies, or something that can easily freeze, I don’t like to make too much, otherwise I end up eating half the pan. :)

3. D says:

Would chocolate syrup or chocolate spread (like nutella) work in the center as “lava” instead of berries?

4. Holy yumminess, Katie. You had me at lava cake, but… gorgeous pink berry filling?! I’m all about it. Might just have to make this treat for my Valentine :) xo

5. Vanessa K. says:

Hi Katie – does the nutritional info include mashed raspberries or raspberry jam? Thanks!

6. I LOVE how so many of your recipes are a single serving. I can’t be trusted with an entire pan of anything around the house. This is such a good way to satisfy your sweet tooth without killing your day!

7. Sounds so tasty filled with berries instead of just chocolate, like a normal lava cake.

8. Michelle says:

This looks incredible!

9. Hollie says:

True story: Molten Lava Cake is one of my favorites.

10. Lindsey says:

Looks delish! I just made your Guinness brownies and they were a huge hit! Thanks :)

11. Jill says:

Hi, Katie – why is the sugar content different in the two versions, also where does all that fiber come from?

1. Michelle says:

The sugar content is higher for the cake without oil because applesauce is subbed in, which has (natural) sugar in it. Spelt flour is high in fiber.

12. Love this idea! How do you think coconut flour would work in the batter?

1. Sarah says:

I just made this with coconut flour! I used only 1 1/2 tbsp of flour and I used 1/8 of baking soda instead (I’m trying to not eat grains for health reasons). I did everything else the same (included the oil). It may need less filling. I only used maybe 5-6 defrosted mixed berries and I just sort of pushed the dough around it. It may need to cook longer based on your microwave and the level of done-ness you want. It comes out so fluffy, like a soufflé!

Note: if you didn’t want to include the oil, you could try apple cause or mashed banana but ou may need to add more milk.

1. Joyce says:

I made mine with oat flour and and it is the most decadent thing I have eaten in a long time. It was thick and moist…marvelous!!!

2. Michele says:

Me too! I used oat flour and not much sugar – tiny bit of Xylitol – it was fabulous!

13. Alex says:

Hi Katie,
    I’m in love with your recipes, especially because I am allergic to wheat and lactose-intolerant so using spelt flour and almond milk are good for me! I’m newly sugar-free too (trying to kill the yeast!!) and I’m confused about the extra sweetener addition you have in a lot of recipes… Like usually it’s a set amount of sugar of choice then an extra hit of stevia (or more sweetener of choice). What would be your sugar to stevia substitution amount if stevia was the only sweetener? I’ve seen different amounts and I don’t want it to be too sweet!
    Thanks and keep up the good work :)

1. Martina says:

Oh dear, I hope you haven’t been fed that myth about candida overgrowth and needing to cut out sugar (and perhaps yeast) to stop feeding it? It’s just not how stuff works – candida is commonly part of the normal mixture of bugs that live in us, but its numbers are mostly kept in check by the other organisms. It usually only infects locally (e.g diaper rash, vaginal thrush), but may cause widespread and serious disease in someone who is immunosuppressed, e.g. due to chemotherapy or HIV/AIDS. But “candida overgrowth” seems to be this crazy belief/diagnosis that the woo-meisters have, and the misinformation makes me ragey. A medical doctor with critical thinking skills would likely be much more helpful for you.

1. Joan says:

Sorry, Darling, sugar burns everything it touches, and CANCELS all HCL acid in the stomach, so critical for disinfecting and digesting. Indeed, cancer and candida do indeed tend to starve to death when you deny them sugar. Medical doctors are WONDERFUL for acute care, but only a fool goes to an MD for chronic care: MD’s receive zero training for healing, only surgery and drugs… and emergency care, which they’re great at. Learn more, please before misleading that poor lady. Respectfully submitted.

2. Martina says:

Joan, I can see you feel strongly enough about this to use a very condescending tone, but you make some very bold claims that are often trotted out by the woo-peddlers, without any science to support them. Perhaps you could include the chemical equations for how sugar “cancels” hydrochloric acid in the stomach? And some citations on how the absence of sugar (what kind of carbohydrate are you actually referring to) “starves” cancer and candida “to death”? Does it have the same effect for all types of cancer – they’re not all the same, after all.

I’d like to suggest applying the same level of skepticism towards the alternative “medicine” practitioners that you do towards actual medical doctors. The sense of being able to thumb your nose at the medical establishment, and having some sort of secret “knowledge” they don’t must be enjoyable, but it is at the expense of facts, I’m afraid. I hope the myths they have sold you weren’t too expensive.

14. EVA says:

I was completely fooled when I first saw this, thinking it was a multiple-serving cake. NEIN, it’s a single-serve which makes this recipe 1000 times better! Unfortunately, I have to be on a low fat and low fiber diet, so I’ll have to ponder what to use as my filling instead of the raspberries.

Maybe chunkily-mashed bananas?

One can never tire of bananas.

15. How did you know this is what I needed today!?
    I love hot lava cake. I am going to try to fill mine with raspberries and hot chocolate butter!

16. Rebekah says:

Love it! But do you have to put raspberries in it?

1. Michelle says:

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me chiming in, but without the raspberries, this is really just Katie’s original chocolate mug cake, which she linked to in the recipe. So, basically the answer is no, you don’t have to put the raspberries in.

17. Steph says:

Wow, that raspberry filling looks ridiculously awesome! Like a delicious volcano!!!

18. Katie says:

Just made this – absolutely delicious! I usually don’t like the taste when I use applesauce instead of oil but I gave it a shot and it was fabulous:) Keep the single recipes coming, I love it!

19. Rebekah says:

Just made this using raspberry jam! I completely forgot how good that combo can be! Like a giant viva-puff!!

20. Thalia says:

Yum! This looks delicious 😀 Would this recipe also work using all whole wheat flour instead of spelt or all-purpose?

1. Anna says:

I personally don’t like the taste of baked goods with just whole wheat flour as I find them too dense. Maybe use white whole wheat or use a combo of flours?

2. Katie says:

I actually like most mug cakes with whole wheat flour (or at least partial) better. I think it helps create the “cakey” texture as opposed to the sponge or rubber texture.

1. Emily J. says:

I agree, it gives it a more”cakey” texture. I always make my mug and layer cakes with whole wheat flour.

3. Christy says:

I actually made this last night with whole wheat white flour and Splenda, and the taste was fine, except the bitterness of the flour needed a little more sugar. Otherwise, it was great!!

21. Charmee says:

This recipe is phenomenal. I have made and enjoyed quite a few of your desserts and breakfast foods but never been inspired to comment before. But this chocolate lava cake (I made it with blueberry dark chocolate filling) took my breath away.

22. Kimberly says:

HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!
    I just made this, but instead of making a raspberry filling, I made a chocolate filling by combining 2 tbsp cocoa powder with a splash of almond milk (I’d say about 2 tsp), microwaving it for a few seconds so they would mix together, and added sweetener to taste and mixed really well. It came out AMMMAAZING. Talk about “lava” cake, when I cut it open, beautiful chocolate poured out and it was so glorious ! So so ridiculously chocolatey.

1. Kimberly says:

or maybe it was a little more than 2 tsp almond milk, I just kinda added until the desired “hot fudge” consistency was reached.

2. EVA says:

Thanks for this! I commented earlier wanting a low fiber alternative, and I appreciate your recipe for an easy chocolate sauce. Now I just need to invest in that cocoa powder I’ve been saying I was going to get for months….

23. Katie says:

I love your blog. I use your recipes all the time. 2 thoughts… 1. With this and other chocolate mug cakes I’ve subbed in brewed coffee for some or all of the milk. Brings out the chocolate more and less calories. 2. I also replace most of the oil with plain yogurt. I like it better than applesauce, but it’s still a little better than all oil.
    Thanks again for all the recipes!

24. Amy says:

Is this blog only for single and dieting folks? I have an army of kids to feed! Seriously, I would love to make these cakes for a birthday party, but it’s a lot of work measuring out 20 cakes and if I do the math, multiply each ingredient by 20 and mix it up together, who knows if the results will be the same? (I’ve done that in the past and results were not good.) You need a section for party foods.

1. Katherine says:

Every blogger has their own intended audience or usual “theme,” you can’t blame her for showing recipes that fit her lifestyle (and seem to please a lot of her readers.)

But, if you still want to try her recipes, you can try this: http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.php

1. Amy says:

Katherine, thanks for your reply. And I wasn’t blaming her, just giving her feedback. I’m sure Chocolate-Covered-Katie can add a section for party foods to her blog with no problems, even if single cakes fit her lifestyle better. She didn’t get this popular for having no baking skills. But I was hoping she can think about a party section for the future, like when she gets married and has kids later on – I’m a fan even if I don’t give her drool. And I appreciate the calculator, even though I can do the math just fine and the math is not the problem… Like I said, I’ve done recipe conversions in the past, but the TASTE just doesn’t translate sometimes and I’m not sure why…?

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie posts many larger serving recipes on her blog as well. Try this one if you want a chocolate cake. You can easily put raspberry jam in the middle… or even on top! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/18/cauliflower-chocolate-cake/

1. Amy says:

Thanks, I’ve made this one before -for Christmas. My kids, who are not accustomed to sweets on a regular basis thought it was great. But my husband and I tasted too much cauliflower… so I figured school kids who are used to Walmart cupcakes probably wouldn’t like it either.

I did end up multiplying the lava cake recipe by 12 and the results were so-so. I thought the cake tasted kind of chalky, but it could be due to the conversion or the fact that it’s mostly cocoa with no chocolate and I used 2/3 of a 12-oz. bag of mini chocolate chips… But again, my kids didn’t mind at all, especially when I “frosted” it with chocolate peanut butter. About half of their friends didn’t eat it however. They took one bite and passed. :-\

Katie’s giant cookie cake with beans is a winner/keeper though. I double the recipe with no problems and it’s agreeable even to the adults. :)

25. Kate says:

Ok this is getting a little bit ridiculous, a couple months ago i was starving and didnt have anything in the house except flour, canned pumpkin and the basics so i made pumpkin pancakes, when i sat down to devour them i found that you had JUST posted a oumpkin pancakes recipe. A couple weeks ago, i made banana chocolate swirl cookies (that kind of failed lol) and the next day you posted banana chocolate swirl bread. And i LITERALLY just finished eating my recently perfected mug cake recipe before checking your blog and seeing that you posted this. This is a little weird. Katie we have the same food driven – but its ok bc great mindscthink alike :)

26. THIS is going to be my Valentine’s Day dessert! Thank you so much for the idea and post!!

27. Matcha says:

I love your healthy way to have chocolate, good idea, thanks so much. I can have more chocolate now. :)

28. Aspidistra says:

If I wanted to bake this en masse (6-12 ramekins), should I change the baking time?
    (Definitely loved the single serving I made)

29. I totally agree with you, Katie – why wait until Valentine’s Day to indulge on chocolate? It’s just too good.
    These lava cakes look so awesome! I need them in my life.
    Pinning!

30. Laine says:

This looks fabulous, thanks for sharing! I think the nutritional info might be a bit off…. 1.5 grams fat seems awfully low- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil is nearly one TBSP which usually has 14 grams fat. Unless of course the nutritional info was meant for only a portion of the cake? Keep those amazing recipes coming!

1. Laine says:

EEek- never mind! I just realized the chart I was looking at was the oil-free version and the oil version is below……. embarrassed. Sorry!

31. Lucka says:

Now, this is funny, because I was just searching your site two days ago for healthy option of lava cake and now here it is. Made the not so healthy one yesterday, but really looking forward to try yours. Thank you.

32. Kayla says:

Oh my! This looks so delicious it’s hard to believe it’s healthy! I love it!

33. Angela says:

I just whipped this up….Girl! This is AMAZING!!! I didn’t have raspberries so I subbed with Strawberry jam and dark chocolate chips…MERCY! So Good! Like I needed another easy, decadent chocolate recipe to whip at a moments notice for my ever so prevalent chocolate cravings. Thanks….thanks a lot!

34. Angela says:

35. BakeMeABallerina says:

There are so many interesting recipes it’s hard to choose which to make next! I love the vast majority of your recipes but I would love it if readers could rate recipes to help give feedback to those selecting a recipe to make!

36. Robin says:

Made this in a mug last night and LOVED every bite! I used WW pastry flour, just .5tsp sweetener (coconut sugar), .75tbsp cocoa+1.5tsp raw cacao powder, and 2.5tsp unsw organic applesauce in place of the oil (I kept the milk amt. the same though). For the filling I mashed a few raspberries, dropped that in, and also chopped up and dropped in a square of Endangered Species espresso bean dark chocolate. Yuuum espresso raspberry mug cake. It took exactly 1 minute in my microwave and came out onto a place perfectly! I’m so excited to try other variations, especially a dollop of nut butter inside. Thanks!

37. Yuuum! I just used up the last of my berries to make homemade chia berry jam…I wish I would have set some aside because I would have made this too! ;-0

38. Jeanette says:

This recipe brought me back to the Chocolate Mug Cake, which I just made. (An all time favourite, just like the deep dish cookie pie.)
    I enjoyed every bite.
    I couldn’t have imagined a chocolate cake so easy and yummy.
    It was a delicious breakfast on a Sunday morning.
    You made my day. Katie, you’re a genius.
    Thank you for being you.

39. Nadia says:

Anyone have an idea how I would successfully use maple syrup as the sweetener in this recipe? Looks delicious.

1. Nadia says:

I’ve used 1 tbsp and 1 tsp of maple syrup when making this recipe.

40. Ali says:

Could I use oat flour?

41. Ruth D. says:

So, I just entered the ingredients on MyFitnessPal and the recipe came out as approx. 300 calories. I did enter white sugar, but that only accounts for 63 calories. I even subbed greek yogurt for the oil. Hmm…not sure why it is so different.

42. Amy says:

This looks amazing! How long will it keep and how should I store it?

43. 2da4est says:

Loved this! My better half needed something sweet tonight so I made this. A little early for V-day but that is okay.
    What I would like to do is mix up the dry ingredients in a jar and then just have to add the wet and cook. I am going to try to figure this out, I just hope it works.
    Truly loved this recipe.

Thanks.

44. Oooh I love any excuse to make something chocolate… and I love that it’s single serving. I don’t like sharing chocolate.

45. E says:

Wow, looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe! (and the inspiration)

46. Shayna says:

Very delicious but FYI that the microwaving does NOT work out how you’d expect 😛 Still delicious (obviously) but it doesn’t look right.

Will definitely try again. Perfect for a birthday cake for two :)

47. Emma says:

Wait, where’s the red wine? And how is this secretly healthy?

48. Elle says:

Will it be good-enough-for-guests if served at room temperature several hours after baking?

Thanks!

49. sharon says:

How did I live without this site? As a single-nester I usually just do without rather than make a whole pie or cake. This is very helpful. Thanks so much.

50. Cheryl says:

Made this last night and it was GREAT! I used frozen raspberries which still worked out well. I also used chocolate raspberry stevia which was also delicious. It was a rich chocolate but not overly sweet which I like. Would make it again. The single serving idea works all well too.

51. Nell says:

Delicious as chocolate is, so sad to see people buying wallpaper glue (flour + water) and believing that adding chocolate, eggs, and sugar somehow turns wallpaper glue into something else. EVERY cause of unnatural death, combined, and you still don’t come close to the number of humans sicked and killed by eating flour. Delicious, but sad… my peers look my parents, no kidding. Haters, go crazy, or save your life by eating foods, not non-foods. If you think you love your children when you give them a cupcake, think again.

52. Joan says:

Healthy cake? Isn’t that oxymoronic? Nothing healthy about flour. Looks tasty, but….

1. Isabel says:

uh no it isn’t oxymoronic, her whole website it dedicated to healthy desserts and yeah cake is one of them. As she says in the recipe you can use flour substitutes including gluten free kinds. Besides, healthier than most cake recipes or store-bought cakes.

53. Tina says:

my favorite one so far!!!!!!! BIG hit!

54. Danielle says:

I have tried many of your recipes, but I’ve gotta say this one is by far the most addictive! Omg! It tastes just like PF Chang’s Great Wall of Chocolate… only better. Love this!!

55. Isabel says:

I LOVED this. I almost wanted it to be not single serving it was so goooood.

56. Lynda says:

I don’t understand how there can only be 2.2g of sugar when there are 2 tsp of sugar in the recipe, plus the berries and chocolate chips? Is the nutrition breakdown for the whole cake, or a serving of it?

57. Joyce says:

I must say THANK YOU!!! I made this today and it is the most delicious thing I have had in a LONG time. So decadent you cant tell its sugar free and healthy. I did substitute oat flour as I didn’t have anything else. I am a diabetic that has been strictly following my diabetic diet for the past 7 months and have dropped 70 pounds. This is the first chocolate I have had since July. THANKS SO MUCH!!

58. Jen says:

Just made this tonight and it was delicious! However, your Points Plus values are way off. I made it exactly as your recipe, with the oil, and with 1 tbs of jam in the center. I plugged all the ingredients into my recipe builder (I triple checked the amounts), and this cake is 9 points! Sort of blew my day as I only had 5 points left :( But it was worth it, so yummy! However, you might want to edit the nutrition info so that weight watchers readers know how to allocate their points correctly. Love your blog, btw! :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It depends on what specific ingredients you use. I calculated it WITH the oil and with raspberries and got 5 points like Katie did.

59. Marguerite says:

Now that you talk about your imaginary friend I can see where I will need one. Is it ever too late?

60. Amanda says:

Hi Katie,
    Are you sure about the nutritional facts? I just calculated the calories of all the ingredients WITHOUT the raspberry filling (but with a tbsp of chocolate chips) and it came out to 286. And that’s without 1/2 tsp of oil. How did you arrive at your total?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Read Katie’s Recipe FAQ page located at the top of the blog for more on nutrition facts. Her calculations are correct on this one.

1. Amanda says:

I did read the FAQ and I did not use an online calculator, I calculated it right from the packages of the ingredients. If there’s something that Katie has done differently (other than the applesauce/oil sub) from what is literally, factually in the recipe I’d be curious to know. And if she does something differently, I think it should be listed at the bottom of each recipe!

61. Alessandra says:

Greetings.
    Love the single-serving recipes and the raspberry filling takes this dessert to the next level. Although this recipe is a single-serving size, my husband and I will be sharing. Everything in moderation for us “old folks
    Great job on your website! I’ll be back. I’m going to send the link to my family and friends.
    Alessandra

62. Just made this with strawberry jam instead of raspberry. I baked it instead of nuking it because I’m not a fan of mug cakes. I really enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

63. Eugene says:

This is the only source that I could find 100% Pure Xylitol.

64. Cece says:

Tried to make this recipe in the microwave and it turned out DAMN GOOD!
    I used all xylitol for the sugar because I can’t stand the bitter aftertaste stevia has, and used some low fat spread instead of coconut oil (I didn’t have any), keeping the doses as suggested.
    The only thing is I had to microwave mine for a total of about 1 minute 10 seconds, in 30+10seconds intervals, but that might be because my microwave is prehistorical and really crappy.
    Well done Kate! Delicious :)

65. Nadia says:

Hi Katie,

thanks for this great blog, you are such a great writer (and cook of course!)

I am really a cooking amateur, and have always had a question about chocolate recipes: what do you think about using hot chocolate instant mix instead of the cocoa powder (simply because that is all i have)? (it’s cocoa camino fair trade organic hot chocolate mix so has the extra benefit of being earth- and conscience-friendly 😉 though yes it has skim milk powder and cane sugar and guar gum (!!?) among its ingredients :-(

Thanks again!

Nadia :-)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Using cocoa mix will work very well as a sub!

66. Sue says:

As someone who helps people with nutrition (their eating habits) all the time, I’ve got a lot of respect for you. Your sugar substitute recipes have all the mouth feel, richness & full taste as sugared recioes Bravo!

67. Tanya says:

Used almond flour and had to add a lot more milk to thin out the batter. Also, omitted the raspberry filling for a real chocolate molten cake. With these adjustments, it came out delicious. Thanks!

68. Samantha says:

This is SO good… I didn’t make it with the filling, I just made the chocolate cake in a mini pan, and wow. My boyfriend and I both love it. I’m preheating the oven right now to make it again!

69. Katie says:

Katie,

I have tried and loved (devoured) many of your recipes including your cookie dough dips and many of your single lady desserts, but you have so outdone yourself on this one!

It’s so amazing, it’s dangerous. I used oat flour and half coconut oil/half applesauce, though I could have just done all the oil because less than 200 calories for an awesome dessert is still a bargain if you ask me. I also had fresh strawberries to use so I made that my filling.

My lava did not look nearly as cool as yours, but I think it tasted just as good as yours looks. I should say thanks for the recipe, but I think you’ve created a monster. One that’s going to want healthy chocolate lava cake every single night.

70. Jocelyn says:

I love your blog and recipes!!! Would you consider adding a printer button, so we can easily print out just the recipe portion of the post?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

To print, highlight just the recipe itself, and right-click “Copy.” Then open a new Word document and right-click “Paste.” You can then give it a name and save this document in a CCK Recipe folder, and print it easily from that point.

71. karen says:

So where is the red wine in this recipe?

72. Tiffany says:

My. Dear. Heavens.
    I just made this with GF AP flour, the suggested coconut oil and strawberry preserves.

There are no words, except “Thank You!”

(Btw, this is my first GF…well, anything. And it *blew* my mind. So double Thanks for introducing me to this new world of deliciousness!!!)

73. Rosie says:

I made this recipe (but without the raspberries inside, just chocolate) and it was so good! I actually subbed about 3/4 of a banana for the oil, and it turned out super moist… it wasn’t really a cake texture, more brownie-like though. It also took about five minutes longer to bake. Thank you for your incredible recipes!

74. Keira says:

any way to make this recipe grain free?

thanks so much!!

75. Dana says:

LOVE THIS CAKE but I just calculated the calories and it seemed to be over 300 if you use vegetable oil, all the sugar, and the flour?

76. saeed says:

Hello
    Dear
    Isvery veryDelicious.And appetizing

saeid From Iran Tehran

Regards

77. Letha says:

Made this twice already.. Each times I didn’t have any raspberries and this was so delicious.. I just add the chocolate chips on top being that my ramekin bowl is bigger than the one she is showing so mine look more like a cookie…lol

78. Sarah says:

Can I sub the raspberries for strawberries?

79. Alexandra says:

This is the answer to world peace.

80. Divine Fool says:

This was delicious. I used two parts mashed red beans and one part flour, plus applesauce instead of oil, to lessen the caloric load just a tad… As a result my cake took closer to a minute and a half in the microwave, but it was so good and this is already a great recipe. The raspberries especially make this one awesome midnight snack! 😉

81. Catherine says:

This recipe is amazing! I love that it’s so low calorie yet satisfies my chocolate craving. Thanks Katie!

82. Adrienne Daria says:

Okay, I am making this (the unhealthy version) as we speak, & it has taken much longer then 14 minutes to cook. I’ve taken it out twice & had to pop it back in the oven. For a total of 31 minutes, anyone else’s take a long time? It’s still very tasty & since there are no eggs I know it’s not a big deal but I just really want the top to not be so “raw” like! Great recipe otherwise

1. Gail says:

Hello, Adrienne,

I made this 2 nights ago for our family (4 cakes in 4 teacups). Ours took about 20 minutes to bake thoroughly. The toothpick came out “almost” clean, and I removed them then as I did not want to overbake them. It was SO worth the wait!

83. Kitty says:

Fantastic recipe and so easy to make. I love these single serves too. Thanks for sharing

84. Barbara Michaels says:

Hello. I saw a print opportunity on the first recipe I found but can’t find them on other recipes. Sure would make keeping the recipe easier to get than printing out 9 useless pages. Any comments or advice to help me out here?

85. Faith says:

You’re addicted to chocolate. I like chocolate but you eat it like everyday! I mean seriously!

86. Denise O'Brien says:

OMG!!! This is absolutely delicious! Thank you for being so fearless in the kitchen. I made this with GF Flour and instead of the xtra 1T sugar I used 1 tsp of agave. I am in chocolate heaven.

87. Robin says:

Made this today. My new favorite dessert. Thanks!

88. Bronwyn says:

OMG!!!!
    This was awesome. I used chickpea flour and it took 1minute in the microwave. I will try with blueberries aswell. I think this would be great after a plate of fruit at breakfast.

89. Kimber says:

Katie,

You are a genius! 😀 I LOVE all your desserts and this one hit it out of the ballpark. I am not vegan (though don’t prefer meat either) but my body does not tolerate eggs so I can eat ALL of your recipes and have made many of them. I’m going to try the Avocado Brulee once I get to the store to pick one up. I can’t wait to try it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your lovely recipes with us.

90. Amy Calvert says:

My husband loves lava cake but would prefer chocolate filing vs. raspberry. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Melted chocolate chips (melt before adding in place of the raspberry filling) or melted chocolate bars:

91. Dianna says:

This was really good. Will become my go-to dessert. Best mug cake recipe I’ve used with a good chocolate flavor without being bitter as some are, especially when used with alternative sweeteners. I used Truvia as my sweetener and Smuckers Sugar Free Strawberry Jam as the filling, as that’s what I had on hand. This was moist. It rose to a cake consistency while still being moist and dense. The fruit filling is very nice with the chocolate and adds a nice glaze if you turn the mug upside down and plop the cake down on a saucer.

92. Jacqueline says:

I love your recipes but sometimes I’d like to make them for my family of 7. Would this multiply well?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Do you have her cookbook by any chance? She has larger serving sizes in there for a lot of her recipes. If you do own the book, Use her Chocolate Obsession Cake and add raspberry jam either before baking to the middle or spread it in between the layers. It is amazing like that!

93. PeggySue says:

Just made this tonite. I’m not a huge fan of raspberries but I LOVE cherries! So I thawed some frozen cherries and it was perfect for me. I did have to increase the time to a minute as it was still underdone at 40 seconds.

94. nell hemansbrook says:

Just make this cake and it was so delicious and took less than 5 minutes! I subbed mashed banana instead of oil and it worked really well- I will definitely be making this again.

95. Elaine says:

HAS ANYONE MADE THIS THIS IN A LARGER AMOUNT? A SINGLE SERVING OF SOMETHING SO YUMMY WOULD BE TORTURE.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Do you have her book by any chance? She has larger servings in there for a lot of her recipes. If you do own the book, Use her Chocolate Obsession Cake and add raspberry jam either before baking to the middle or spread it in between the layers. It is amazing like that! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/faq-page/chocolate-covered-katie-cookbook/

96. K says:

I’m wondering how the nutritional info could be right…wouldn’t the flour alone be about 100 calories? Not that it would stop me from eating this cake, it was great, but just curious