Frosted Mint Chocolate Double Layer Cake

Would you ever guess this decadent double layer cake is healthy?

Mint Chocolate Double Layer Cake that is secretly good for you... with a healthy frosting recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/03/06/mint-chocolate-frosted-chocolate-layer-cake/

That it’s not completely over-the-top loaded with oil, sugar, calories, and fat?

Or that each slice has over 5 grams of fiber, 15% of the RDA for iron, and contains healthy MCFAs? Or that the luxurious frosting can be completely sugar-free?

mint layer cake

And most importantly…

Yes, it tastes just as amazing as it looks.

mint chocolate cake

Above, topped with my recipe for Healthy Chocolate Sauce.

Because, well, why not?

mint layer cake

Mint Chocolate Double Layer Cake

• 2 cups spelt or whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups xylitol or sugar of choice
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
  • 2/3 cup yogurt of choice (such as Wholesoy)
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
  • 2 prepared batches of: Healthy Mint Frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease two 8-in round cake pans. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, optional chips, and sweetener, and stir very well. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients (except frosting). Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined, then divide between the cake pans. Bake 25 minutes or until batter has risen and a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before going around the sides with a knife and inverting the cakes. Frost one layer, stack the cakes, then refrigerate 30 minutes before frosting the entire cake. This cake is best if frosted right before serving. Due to the lack of preservatives in the frosting, leftovers are best stored in the refrigerator.

Click for: Mint Chocolate Cake Nutrition Facts

Peppermint Cake

Link of the Day:

homemade reeses
Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups

Tags: , , ,

1. Yum yum yum! Gorgeous photos, and this looks like it would definitely satisfy all my chocolate cravings!

2. I feel like mini chocolate chips should never be optional… haha

3. Yum Yucky says:

I’m not only drooling, I’m panting like a hungry dog. NOM!

4. meg says:

Do you think this would work OK baked as one big cake, instead of two smaller layers? It looks ridiculously delicious as is, but I’m also ridiculously lazy and would rather only have one cake pan to clean. 🙂

1. You can just halve the recipe and use one pan.

5. Shawna says:

oh man. i’m so not a cake person, but you had me at mint chocolate. might have to try this one! looks amazing.

6. Emilylovesraisins says:

KATIE you’ve gone and made me drool again!! This sounds AHMAZING and now I don’t know if i should make this or your cauliflower cake!
    Also, don’t feel the need to apologize for the last post’s pics. Everyone has those moments 😛

7. Rachel D. says:

Well, I know what I’ll be making for St. Patty’s Day! 😀

1. Leah says:

Katie this looks amazing does the nutritional content include the sugar or xylitol

1. Heidi Lynn says:

I think it has to be the xylitol because of the sugar content being so low. Hope that helps!

8. The Zen Kat says:

Oh don’t worry Katie, mistakes happen every day. 🙂 When you come up with a minty chocolatey delicious recipe the next day, all is forgotten :p

9. Steph says:

Looks so yummy!

What are MCFAs? Monounsaturated coconut fatty acids?

1. L says:

Medium-chain fatty acid.

1. Steph says:

Oh I thought it was something like that! Usually I see it as MCT (medium chain triglycerides).

10. OMG, I’ll definitely make this gluten free and tell you how it turns out!! This looks over the top awesome.

1. Lauren says:

Mia – hope you have or soon will try gluten free. Curious what you use. I mostly bake with almond flour. Have bought spelt for all Katie’s recipes but haven’t tried it yet. It’s not exaaaactly approved for my diet like almond flour but may have to give it a whirl with spelt if almond flour won’t work

1. Hi Lauren, I’ve tried it and commented on it, you just have to scroll down to the very end LOL
        Hope it helps 🙂

11. Hollie says:

I’m not the biggest minty fan but this recipe looks good. I think I might sub he mint for another flavor.

12. Shannon says:

Daaaaaaaannng girl!!! You know how to make a cake look sexy. I wish i knew about this cake two days ago on my birthday. I ate a ton of sugar and felt horrible the next day, Ash Wednesday so I decided to give up my sailor mouth and sugar for Lent!!! But thank God for cck because i can give up sugar without giving up desserts and still be healthy.

13. So unbelievable gorgeous. Probably the prettiest baked good on my feed today! You’ve done a great job here, and I can only imagine how delicious it is! Mint + chocolate = heaven, yes? Love your commitment to health, too – thanks for keeping it on the lighter side, while still keeping all the flavor! 🙂

14. Yummy I absolutely have to try these! 🙂

15. Ugh… How DARE you make a mistake?!

😉 Lol. Just kidding of course! Anyone who would get mad over something like that is ridiculous. In my eye you are still pretty close to perfect.

Thanks for letting us know though instead of just changing the pictures as some would do.

16. Pass says:

I’m disappointed in you Katie. You’ve messed up about the whole Guinness brownies being vegan, now you’re screwing up recipe titles. What’s next? Are you gonna “accidentally” drop some bacon bits into your next salad? I’m starting not to think you’re a reliable source of information.

1. EVA says:

Haha, we’ve got another one!

2. Ally says:

And i’m starting to think that you’re overreacting and Katie is wonderful and her recipes are always drool-worthy. (:

17. beth nocho says:

Hi I wanted to know if you could use anything else for milk. I am allergic to milk and soy and nuts. I do not like coconut milk ether. thanks it looks gr8!

1. Anna says:

You can generally use any non-dairy milk in Katie’s recipes. Not sure about the frosting recipe though as I believe you need the fat from the coconut milk to make the frosting

2. Katherine says:

I bet you could use ricemilk, oatmilk, or sunflower seed milk if you are not allergic to those! Also, you might be surprised if you decide to try the coconut milk in the frosting, it usually doesn’t taste coconut-y if you combine it with other flavors (like mint!)

3. sarah says:

If it is the “full fat” coconut milk in the frosting, it would be more difficult to replace (she specifies the canned kind so i have a feeling that is the case) but if Katie simply preferred coconut to any of the other non-dairy milks, then you could sub in rice milk, almond unless allergic, maybe hemp. You might want to try the coconut, its flavor is not dominant. Or a different frosting, maybe? Since it is the “body” of the frosting, other milks will make it very watery. @beth, have you tried any of the frostings from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World? I use their vegan “buttercream”, it might work here.
      I know I’m very late, but wanted to add that anyway just in case! :0) I am so excited to try this, it just looks wonderful, like everything else in this a-mazing Blog!!

1. sarah says:

Yes, this will definitely just be mint-flavored milk w/o the coconut:

1 (13.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk (must be canned)
        1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
        1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract
        stevia or powdered sugar (try 1 tbsp powdered sugar or a pinch pure stevia)
        optional: 1/8 tsp spirulina or a few drops green food coloring (I used spirulina)
        optional: chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips

I really suggest looking around the Blog for a different frosting, or ‘suck it up’ as they say and try the coconut – i lovelove coconut ice cream of all flavors! It’s such good yummy stuff! :0)

18. I gave up chocolate for Lent… and now it seems like every where I look there is chocolate to be had! 🙂 I can’t wait to try this after Easter! At least it’s something to look forward to 🙂

19. EVA says:

I was wondering what the Sunshine Baked Oatmeal picture was doing on the apple bar recipe….even more questionable is how I know the exact recipe it’s from. I SPEND TOO MUCH TIME HERE.

Not being the biggest fan of mint, and being required to follow a low-fat diet due to my severe digestion problems, I’m hoping these modifications will work:
    -Omit peppermint extract
    -Sub 1/4 cup oil for applesauce (hopefully that works)
    -Replace the mint frosting with your peanut butter frosting recipe
    -And of course, make it gluten-free.

I know this kind of takes away from the whole point of the recipe, but it’s chocolate and peanut butter for god’s sake! And it still contains all Katie components! I think I’m in the clear.

20. maura says:

I have been loving this new chocolate quinoa (GF) cake lately. Family and friends love it too. I will try this mint recipe with it!

1. Lauren says:

Maura…is this quinoa choc cake Katie’s? Curious about it!!!