Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Peanut Butter Rice Pudding

HEALTHY Peanut Butter Rice Pudding. Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/04/24/peanut-butter-rice-pudding/

Creamy, peanut buttery comfort food.

High in both fiber and protein, peanut butter rice pudding is one of those easy desserts that can be made with just a few ingredients, no blender, and no difficult cooking techniques. It’s super easy to customize if you’re craving, say, chocolate chip peanut butter rice pudding.

Now why would anyone ever be craving that? 😉

PB Rice Pudding

Peanut Butter Rice Pudding

(serves 4-6)

• 1 cup uncooked brown or white rice (170g)
  • 2 1/2 cups milk of choice (600g)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup peanut butter (depending on desired richness)
  • 2/3 cup water (160g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice (such as scant 1/3 cup sugar of choice or 1/4 tsp uncut stevia)
  • optional variations: Stir in some chocolate chips or swirl in your favorite jelly or fresh berries

Combine rice, salt, and milk of choice in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. When it comes to a complete boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Simmer, covered, until rice is thick and fluffy. This will take around 10-40 minutes, depending on the type of rice you use. Then stir in the peanut butter and the 2/3 cup water and return to a boil. When it comes to a full boil, turn off the heat but leave covered until the water is absorbed and the rice gets thick and fluffy (about another 20 minutes). Stir, then add all remaining ingredients. Eat warm or cold. Add the chocolate chips immediately if you want them melted; or stir in after the pudding is cold if you’d prefer the chips stay intact.

Click for: Peanut Butter Rice Pudding Nutrition Facts

Peanut Butter Rice Pudding

What do you think…

With whole grains and protein and fiber, rice pudding can totally count as breakfast food… Right??

cookie dough oatmeal

Link of the Day: Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

1. Rhona says:

This looks beyond delicious and yummy.

2. Rice pudding – want!
    Peanut butter – want!
    Everything in one bowl creamed up with some lovely almond milk – want even more!

This looks fantastic Katie, a great way of indulging whilst getting some healthy fats and calcium packed into your day ^ ^ A proper pick-me-up! x

3. Nicole says:

Hi CCK,

Looks delicious! Also – I love the blue spoons you have pictured! May I ask where you bought them from?

Thanks,
    N

4. Rice pudding in my opinion is even tastier than oatmeal *gasp* 😉 Now you’ve added peanut butter… I don’t see how it can get any better.

5. This looks great! I’ve been eating the same two things for breakfast every day for what feels like months – Greek yogurt or an English muffin with peanut butter – and it’s getting boring. This could be a nice change, especially with fresh berries on top.

6. Um, this is so simple and delicious and perfect for when I have leftover brown rice. Terrific breakfast when I need a change from oatmeal. Would work with leftover quinoa too I am sure!

7. terezka says:

YES I am on strict elimination diet and brown rice pudding is one of the things I can eat and enjoy for breakfast :) i made brown rice one with just almond milk coconut sugar and cinnamon. made so much, ate it 4 days. did not get bored with it. made apple compote to poor over and it was awesome. love your posts, Katie!!

8. Ellen Quinones says:

Can this be made in a rice cooker.

1. Russell says:

I had the same question.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I made it in my rice cooker, and it worked fine. But the amount of time would depend on your specific cooker.

9. Sarah says:

This looks delicious! And I really like the photos you took, they make it look extra yummy. Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes, Katie :)

10. OLWomen says:

That’s what I like about you Katie, you never stop to amaze me with all your delicious recipes! I will try this peanut butter rice pudding for sure!

11. Beth says:

Do you prefer the brown rice version or the white rice version? Also, do the nutritional facts include the chocolate chips? Looks so yummy! I hope the leftovers last a while.

12. D says:

Could this be made with bulgur instead?
    It looks delicious!

13. OMG, this will be terrific with brown mochi rice! I’ve made rice pudding with home made nutella before, but why didn’t I think of making it with PB?
    Thanks for another great idea :)

14. Tammela says:

Rice pudding totally counts as breakfast — it really does have all you need with fat, protein, and carbs.

15. cailynne says:

hi katie, could you maybe do a post on the reasons why you gave up the vegan diet?

1. Anna says:

Where did you get the impression she gave up the vegan diet? I don’t recall any posts mentioning that.

16. I adore brown rice pudding and I’m sure it’s even more wonderful with peanut butter. And adding chocolate chips just brings it up another level! Fantastic. :)

17. AnnaBananaBelle says:

This looks so good! sadly though I am not eating peanut butter at the moment. Do you think it would taste good with almond butter?

1. Russell says:

I’m sure you could substitute with any nut butter for allergy reasons.

2. Lisa says:

I’m newly allergic to PB and found that soynut “Wow” butter is a very similar substance and flavor. I love all the other nut butters, too, but if I’m looking for something similar to PB, that’s it!

18. Natalie says:

This is so delicious! I’ve been craving peanut butter cookies, then this popped into my email. So I gave it a try. And oh my goodness! So delicious, thank you Katie, your recipes are always wonderful.

19. Leah says:

This looks good, I’m going to try it on Saturday!!
    A big deal for me, because the last time I tried a sweet rice recipe (the one on the back of the Silk coconut milk carton) it was AWFUL!!!
    But I trust you, and I can’t wait to try this recipe! Though I may use almond butter. :)

20. Mmmm. I love rice pudding. I’ve never thought of adding PB to it though. I usually add jam.

21. Totally counts as breakfast food : )

Knowing me, I’d want to throw chia seeds in there too.

22. Sherry says:

Hi Katie,
    I can’t remember the brands that you like to use for chocolate chips and Stevia? Also, are the chocolate chips that you use sugar-free? Thanks!

1. Anna says:

I remember her mentioning several times she uses NuNaturals brand of stevia. If you’re looking for a brand of vegan chocolate chips, the brands I use are Enjoy Life and the Whole Foods brand. They are not sugar-free though.

1. Steph says:

SimplyLite has a sugar-free chocolate bar. It’s sold at Trader Joe’s and it’s super delicious! You could cut it up to make chips.

23. EVA says:

Hey, I eat Bob’s creamy brown rice farina for breakfast with a heaping blob of almond butter and, just like this treat, delicious AND crazy high in protein. That brown rice can really pack a punch.

24. Steph says:

Oh my golly-gosh! Why did I have to go and have breakfast already. Well… I’m pretty sure rice is considered a lunch food… :)

25. Alanna says:

I never would’ve thought to add PB to rice pudding, but I love your PB breakfast pudding and now this as well! I think I might’ve added just a bit more sweetener for myself (I used 1/3 c sugar), but could be the combo of milk and PB that I used had less sugar (and the PB was salted). The Blue Diamond almond-coconut milk got a little weird when I first boiled it, but then it absorbed just fine in about 20-25 min. with medium grain white rice and the water absorbed right away later on. So glad this made a big batch so I can enjoy it all weekend! Love the idea of adding chocolate chips, too! I may try cocoa powder in one serving to see how it works. :)

26. Ashleigh says:

Do you think this could be done in a rice cooker? I’m kinda terrible at making rice on the stove top!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

27. Nicole says:

I made this and then immediately ate it for dinner, YUM. I used brown rice, almond milk, and almond butter. I might try mixing in your melted banana trick instead of the sugar and then I might feel better about eating this for breakfast:)

28. I love rice pudding – so creamy and satisfying !! I love the addition of peanut butter… which basically goes well with anything in my books! 😀 Pinned!

29. Katherine B says:

YUMMM. I love making porridges out of my leftover brown rice or quinoa, and I like making them with coconut milk the best (full fat!) It’s sometimes hard to get the right consistency though. I’ll definitely be trying this cooking technique. Looks so delicious, and beautiful photos!!

30. Lauren Jennings says:

I made this today for my preworkout meal. I used brown 10 minute rice and made a couple adjustments. Delicious.

I used almond milk, then added about 1/2 tbsp of natural PB. Then another 1-2 tbsp of PB2. I had some canned pumpkin that I had in the refrigerator that I had used to make Katie’s delicious pumpkin bread in a bowl, so I used a few tbsp of that to substitute for the PB that I took out. (I eat healthy fats at every meal and therefore, I try not to overdo it, especially before a workout.) Then of course, I added cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to my taste. Also, as I am not vegan, I added my vanilla whey protein powder, too. Vegans could of course add a soy or vegetable based protein.

Thank you Katie! I love all of your recipes. I enjoy tweaking, experimenting, and using some of your ideas and techniques to blend some of your recipes together. You’re a genius! :]

31. Medeja says:

Sounds so interesting and so delicious!

32. Jessica says:

I’ve totally done something similar with quinoa for breakfast. I’m totally for brown rice pudding as a breakfast food…it’s easy to get tired of oatmeal, and if something requires more than measuring in the morning, I’m not going to make it. I don’t have the energy to devote to it before eating.

33. Katherine B says:

I just made this with brown rice, since that’s what I had, and it is so delicious! I used maple syrup as the sweetener, and I think I honestly would have liked it without sweetener, too! (though it wouldn’t be much of pudding then, would it be?)

34. Emma of Zimt says:

I was hardcore craving rice pudding today!!! I am inspired to cook up a batch tomorrow morning- thank you so much, Katie! (and yes breakfast! lunch, dinner, snacks…)

35. Laura says:

Hi Katie,

I have a question. I always wonder what kind of peanut butter do you use: with sugar or without? I always hesitate in which brand of peanut butter will be the healthiest choice… too many to decide! If you are using the ones with sugar, did you use also sweet peanut butter for the thai curry?

All your recipes always turns great! Thank you very much!!

1. Michelle says:

She uses whole foods brand with just peanuts and salt. No sugar, no oil.

1. Laura says:

Thank you!! I was imagining that, but I wanted to be sure :) Unfortunately, where I live there’s not peanut butter without oil, but there are some imported with healthier oils and no sugar. I’ll try one of them!

36. Brittany says:

It says that 179 grams is the serving size how much is that in cups?

37. AJ says:

I made this for dessert after dinner tonight. It was so creamy and delicious. With that rich texture it really hits the spot for a peanut butter fix – and, let’s face it, I need my fix daily! :) Thanks for another stellar recipe, Katie!

38. sandra says:

Hi, I would like to know the size of each portion in cups, it looks delicious but with a dessert this good Im afraid of over eating. Thanks a lot! This is a great website.

39. Shelby says:

Don’t know if it already said this above but, how many servings does this make?
    Totally going to make this, looks so good :)

40. Rhonda says:

Made it, tried it, LOVED IT! Thanks for sharing.

41. pumpkinpie says:

Thanks for the great recipe! I used Thai sticky rice and some coconut milk.

42. Betsy Nicholson says:

OMG! All my favorites in one bowl!

43. Alandra says:

Just made this as an afternoon snack. I think it’s delic but had to add more stevia and vanilla extract than called for in the receipt. I also added cinnamon. Could def see this being a great breakfast food as it has a peanut butter oatmeal feel to it.

44. Leah says:

Great recipe!!! I love it!!!

I quartered it and made it for myself for a hot breakfast. I might have to make it again in the full batch though! 😉

45. kellyelly says:

Okay, just made this as my travel-friendly breakfast for the next few mornings, using quinoa instead of rice, and preliminary taste testing suggests it is a worthy substitute! :)

46. Had this for lunch today! I made it with brown rice, and I didn’t add chocolate chips, but it was still delicious! Sweet and peanut buttery (and I used the smaller amount of PB). Really tasty comfort food! Thank you for sharing!

47. Genny says:

When you say uncut stevia are you referring to powder extract, green stevia, or liquid extract?