Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The Pink Energizer Smoothie

Low in calories and high in calcium, fiber, manganese, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, it gives you energy for hours! Being healthy never tasted this good! Recipe here:

Last week, I did something I was never able to do while living in Texas:

Pack a bag, hop on a train, and find myself in New York City less than 3 hours later. I spent the week in New York, the weekend in Philadelphia, and was back in my own apartment by Monday morning. All without setting foot in an airport.

Pink Smoothie

I swear, it seems like there’s a smoothie place on every single NYC street corner; you cannot turn your head without running into the likes of a  Liquiteria, Organic Avenue, Papaya King, or Juice Generation. But after spending even just a day in the city, this smoothie pervasiveness makes total sense: Getting around in the city can be an event in itself, and hours of walking the streets and navigating the subway can leave one with quite an appetite. Smoothies to the rescue! They offer a quick and nourishing source of energy replenishment and can easily be taken on the go. Perfect for the city that never sleeps.

The following smoothie would be right at home in one of those aforementioned smoothie shops. High in calcium, fiber, manganese, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, its impressive nutritional profile and bright-pink hue immediately reminded me of the Energizer Bunny:

Low-calorie and high in calcium, fiber, manganese, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, it gives you energy for hours! Being healthy never tasted this good! Recipe here:

Above, topped with homemade Healthy Chocolate Sauce.

The Pink Energizer Bunny Smoothie

• 1 roasted small beet
  • 1/2 frozen banana, or 1/2 cup frozen cherries
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • tiny pinch salt to bring out the sweetness
  • sweetener of choice to taste (such as dates, stevia, or pure maple syrup)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder, optional
  • 1 scoop protein powder, optional

Combine all ingredients in a blender or Vita-Mix, and process until completely smooth. Makes about 1 3/4 cups (1 large serving).

Click for: Pink Energizer Smoothie Nutrition Facts

photoshop clone

Going and going and going…

Clearly I did not use Photoshop on this picture at all. Winking smile

Link of the Day: How to Cook Kale – The Easy Way

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Ally says:

What a beautiful color!
    I love beets <3

2. Yum! This smoothie is GORGEOUS! Gotta love that color, and I bet it tastes pretty darn good too

3. samantha says:

Awww, the colour is so pretty! I love using beets in smoothies, but usually just mix it with apple and protein powder, so this is a great new idea. Can’t wait to try it!

4. Hayley says:

Wow! What luck that I just picked up some beets at the store a few days ago! Can’t wait ti make this, it looks so pretty :)

5. Sarah says:

Please tell me you went to Vedge when you were in Philly?!?!?!?! It’s the best place I’ve ever been to. Ever.

1. I very much wanted to! If I had been alone, or if the trip was longer, I definitely would have. As it is, I will just have to go back :)

1. Sarah says:

Please do! We would LOVE to have you back here!

6. Elaine says:

I’m wondering, does the beet need to be roasted, or can it just be steamed and peeled? Would there be a taste difference? I love your blog! Thanks.

1. I’m sure either would be fine, but I’ve only tried roasted.

7. Stunning colour! And great idea to use roasted beet in a smoothie. I have to try that, it sounds too good.

8. Victoria says:

Definitely one of the nicest things about the East Coast – so many places so close and easy to get to. Enjoy!

9. What a pretty smoothie! I would drink that every day of the week. Delicious.

10. Julia says:

Katie- Do you have a suggestion on protein powder? I have been looking into them and there are just way too many to choose! Thanks!

1. katherine says:

Katie talks about SunWarrior a lot …

1. laura says:

Sun warrior vanilla is great, also Vega energizing smoothie in chocolate and vanilla are delicious

11. Rachel says:

For the roasted beet, can you buy them like that or do you need to roast it yourself? How would you do that? And for the nutritional info, is that with the optional ingredients? Thanks!

1. vmm says:

roast yourself or maybe just buy organic beets baby food and add that if you won’t be able/have time to do it yourself…

12. Elissa says:

AAHHH!!! I love smoothies!! This is great! More smoothie recipes would be greatly received on my behalf:)

13. Sadye says:

I too love being able to drink my calories (and in a healthy way sometimes even!).

14. krissy says:

Katie! This smoothie looks amazing! I can not wait to try it out. BTW- LOVE your fadora!! I have one as well and love it!

15. Kristie says:

I was literally JUST googling beet recipes because I have a whole bunch of beets that need to be used up. Then I took a break from beet googling to check out my blog feeds. Click yours and of COURSE this is what you post today. You never fail to have the perfect recipes. What a beauty! :)

16. Elizabeth says:

That color is fabulous! Barbie pink :)

17. This is the most gorgeous smoothie ever! I obviously need to start adding beets to mine!

18. Shonalika says:

Oh wow, the colour in this! I keep seeing dishes featuring beetroot, which I’ve avoided due to never liking the flavour of it by itself… but the colour it imparts to dishes is just incredible, and it sounds as though the flavour is easily masked.

Beautiful photograph, and recipe. I love that as an added bonus, this smoothie isn’t high in sugar like some inadvertently will be after squishing a pickup truck of fruit in:p

19. Ellen says:

Yes! It’s officially smoothie season. Trying this tonight!

20. EVA says:

That’s what I love about beets, they’re earthy yet sweet. I honestly feel like if I made this for myself that I wouldn’t even add sweetener. Or maybe a banana. Bananas always make smoothies perfectly textured for someone who likes the thick and creamy side of things like myself. Nutribullet, I have a mission for thee!

Like always, you just look so darn cute. I don’t have an Instagram so I couldn’t comment, but I saw your recent picture of you standing in a light blue dress, and GAH! I just wanted to give you a big hug for some reason.

Also, as I type this, you are 7 people away from 100,000 Facebook likes, so pre-congratulations!

21. BakeMeABallerina says:

Enough about the gorgeous smoothie (although it is lovely)… You are gorgeous!

22. Steph says:

That colour is sooo awesome! It’s amazing what a little beetroot can do! I like the addition of chocolate by the way! :)

23. I’m so excited to try this! I’m going through a bit of a beet obsession, but I actually have yet to try them in a smoothie! I’m glad you had a great trip to New York!

24. Ava says:

I made this for my post-run lunch today and it was great. I love beets, so I had to try it. I used about half a large beet and a whole banana, along with
    half a scoop of sunwarrior natural protein (I find it tastes weird with a whole scoop in a smoothie). Beautiful colour. Tasted great and was a good way for me to eat more beets before my race tomorrow (beets make you run faster! Look it up if you haven’t heard of this!)

1. Thank you so much for making it!

25. Next time you’re in NYC, you have to track down the Cinnamon Snail food truck! They have the most amazing vegan food and desserts ever :)

26. Ann says:

Hello Katie! If you’ll have the time and interest, could you please try to come up with a healthy dupe for this pie? It would be much appreciated!

27. Such a fantastic color and it sounds delicious! I love beets!

28. Looks delicious! The colour is stunning :) Gotta love pretty food!

29. I LOVVEE the colour of your gorgeous looking smoothie! Your trip to NYC sounds like a blast – I can’t believe I haven’t been yet!!

30. This sounds delicious…and the actual colour of it is amazing!!

31. WHAT a fresh colour, that’s insane – I love how beetroot does that ^ ^ Does this taste very beety though? Cause I’m not really a fan of beet, but the banana and cocoa on the other hand, mmmm ^ ^
    Happy Monday! x

1. You don’t notice it! Or at least I didn’t 😉

32. Man I haven’t been to NY in a while, :-) I’m glad that you had some fun! I always wondered what it would be like to be able to visit different countries like you are able to in Europe. In the states everything is all spread out! For now I’ll just watch ” Under the Tuscan Sun” and dream, haha. And p.s. your energizer smoothie is on my docket for my mid morning snack tomorrow! 😀

33. Paula says:

Something that is so useful

34. Sophie says:

Hi katie! ☺️ looks yummy

35. Wendy says:

Looks yummy! Just got back from Whole Foods & am ashamed to say that I paid $7 for fresh beet juice!!! I don’t even know if I’m a beet fan..LOL, just remembered seeing smoothies with beets & thought I would try it. Now I see they all including yours call for the whole beet. Would I be able to use some juice & just cut back on the milk? Any idea how much? Thanks!

36. Jess Brain says:

i can’t wait to try this! I have never roasted a beet before. Are there specific instructions for how to do that successfully?

1. erica says:

Roasting beets can take awhile, but it’s pretty straightforward. Medium-sized beets will be done in about an hour at 375, wrapped in foil. I had big beets, so I had to put them in for another half hour. Link here at the Kitchn:

1. Jess Brain says:

Thank you!

37. Aja says:

I love the color of that smoothie! I love it even more knowing the color is natural. Sometimes a smoothie is the perfect way to get the energy you need. I can only imagine how tiring it is to live in NYC.

38. Tara says:

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve never used beets in smoothies before, does it add a weird taste?