Easy-to-make, healthy granola bars – packed with rolled oats, crispy cereal, & mini chocolate chips!
Back in 2012, when I first posted a recipe for homemade chewy granola bars, I had no idea it would still be so popular five years later, with over 28,000 repins and twelve pages of positive reader reviews.
Even the best recipes can be improved upon, and today I’m sharing my updated version of the classic granola bar recipe, complete with six new flavor variations. The recipe makes double the amount of the original. I also fixed up the photos and added a few new ones as well.
This is one of those recipes that’s withstood the test of time.
Five years later, readers are still making it!
More Healthy Recipes: 100 Healthy Blondies & Bars
These homemade granola bars have slightly better nutrition facts than store-bought Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, but–more importantly–they have a MUCH shorter and cleaner ingredient list!
To Make The Healthy Granola Bars:
Stir together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl, then stir wet into dry.
Transfer the granola bar mixture to a pan lined with parchment paper, and press down as firmly as you can.
Either bake in a preheated oven for 18 minutes OR simply chill until firm, then slice – there is no baking required!
- Chocolate Chip Granola Bars: Stir 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips in with the dry ingredients.
- Oatmeal Raisin Granola Bars: Stir 1/2 cup chopped raisins and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in with the dry ingredients.
- Nutella Granola Bars: Replace the oil with my Healthy Nutella, and add mini chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts if desired.
- Vanilla Almond Granola Bars: Stir 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds in with the dry ingredients, and add a few drops pure almond extract to the liquid ingredients.
- Trail Mix Granola Bars: Stir 1/4 cup each chia seeds, shredded coconut, and chopped, dried cranberries in with the dry ingredients.
- Peanut Butter Cookie Granola Bars: Replace the oil with 1/4 cup peanut butter or nut butter of choice.
Chewy Healthy Granola Bars
Chewy Healthy Granola Bars – Reader favorite recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup rice crispies (brown, white, or gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup oat flour, or process oats in a blender to make your own (110g)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut or vegetable oil (or nut butter) (45g)
- 1/2 cup raw agave or honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar OR 1/8 tsp pure stevia
- 1/4 cup applesauce or mashed banana
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Variations: see flavor list under the third photo in this post
Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside. If you wish to bake the bars, preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl, then stir wet into dry. Transfer to the prepared pan. Smooth down firmly, using a second sheet of parchment or wax paper. Press down as hard as you can. For no-bake healthy granola bars, chill until firm. (The no-bake option is also firmer if you use coconut oil.) For baked granola bars, cook on the center rack 18 minutes, then press down firmly again. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Link Of The Day:
Edit: and now there is a pumpkin version!