Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Flourless Chocolate Chip Brownie Pie

Rich, fudgy, chocolate flourless brownie pie.

pin-it

I’ve been working on this recipe for more than three years.

It was inspired by one of the most popular recipes on this website that I’d initially worried readers might not want to try after seeing the ingredients… which is really funny given the fact that the post has now been viewed over 2 million times and the recipe was featured on the ABC 5 O’Clock News.

This chocolate brownie version has everything that made the original so fantastic: protein, fiber, NO flour, and less than 250 calories per rich and luxurious serving.

pin-it

After at least seven trials to get the recipe just right, this final result is a combination of both my Black Bean Brownies recipe and the Deep Dish Cookie Pie.

chocolate pie

Just like the two recipes mentioned above, this recipe got the seal of approval even from junk-food eaters who think bacon is a food group and claim to hate healthy food in any form.

Hope you love it too!

Chocolate brownie pie with NO flour, and a secret healthy ingredient you'd never expect: black beans!

If you can, I highly recommend serving the pie with my homemade Coconut Ice Cream Recipe.

pin-it

Flourless Brownie Pie

• 2 15-oz cans black beans, or 3 cups cooked
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
  • 1/8 tsp uncut stevia OR 1/4 cup sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1 cup)
  • 1/3 cup oil (60g), or 1/2 cup nut butter of choice
  • 1 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2/3 to 1 cup chocolate chips, divided (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation

Grease a 9-inch pan, set aside, and preheat oven to 350 F. Drain and rinse the beans very well. In a high-quality food processor, process all ingredients except half of the chocolate chips for a few minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally, until completely smooth. (Use a blender or vitamix at your own risk, as the taste/texture will be much improved in a food processor such as a Cuisinart.) Stop the processor, stir in the remaining chocolate chips, and transfer the batter to the prepared pan, making sure to get out every last bit of batter. Smooth down. If desired, press in some extra chocolate chips on the top of the pie. Bake 20 minutes for a gooey version—it will firm up considerably overnight in the fridge, and the taste will be ten times more delicious the next day, so it’s highly recommended you do not even taste this pie until the next day. The gooey version will be a little hard to cut but really soft and delicious. Or bake longer for a firmer (cake-ier) pie. Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.

View Nutrition Facts

Recipe Of The Day:

cake

100 Calorie Chocolate Cake

Easy and healthy chocolate cake recipe with no oil, it is my go-to chocolate cake recipe for everything!

hello-breakfast-recipes.png

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

95 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Suzette says

Okay, I made this yesterday and on Katie’s advice in her directions didn’t even think of tasting it until today (well, except for tasting the batter which was seriously delicious!). Yes, it’s only 8:30 in the morning in my neck of the woods, but I just had to give this a taste. And WOW! It does NOT disappoint!! It is incredibly good with a fabulous texture. I used my food processor to make the batter and only changed one ingredient – instead of the 1 tablespoon milk I added 1 tablespoon of spiced rum. I am not even sure why, I just felt inspired! haha

Thanks Katie for a fabulous chocolate pie recipe that will be made many, many times in my house!

2. Shannon says

I do not bake much….tried a similar recipe but I used unsweetened cocoa powder and the brownies tasted awful. When the recipe calls for cocoa powder, is it sweetened cocoa powder? My little boys were really looking forward to eating a yummy chocolate brownie, I do not want to mess it up again ;-( Thank you!

• Anna says

Unless otherwise specified, it’s always unsweetened cocoa powder. There’s already plenty of sweetener in this recipe 🙂

3. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen says

I can’t believe I still haven’t made your deep dish cookie pie recipe yet! I really need to get on that. I did make your cookie dough dip for Super Bowl this weekend…and ate it in between two grain-free chocolate chip cookies like an ice cream sandwich. So, so good!

4. Vicki says

This was delicious–and no, we didn’t until the next day!! Both my husband and teenage son really liked it. Thank you for sharing recipes that have no wheat or eggs. It’s hard to find tasty, healthy desserts that my son can eat. My family enjoys so many of your recipes!!

5. Ellie says

Ever since my naturopath recommended I try going gluten-free for a while, I’ve been doing lots of things with oats. Can’t wait to try this one! P.S. Katie, I love how you come up with awesome healthy substitutions like the beans in this and in your famous cookie dough dip. You’re an inspiration! Stay cool! 🙂

6. Amy Basso says

Wow! That looks amazing. I have never tried baked goods with black beans, but have heard great things. Cannot wait to try!

7. Anonymous Person says

You should start a YouTube channel! I’d watch all your videos! 😀

Everything you make looks really yummy 🙂 keep posting!

8. Waliyyah says

You should start a YouTube channel! I’d watch all your videos! 😀

Everything you make looks really yummy. Keep posting! 🙂

9. Katharina says

Hi lovely Katie!
    That pie looks incredible- totally trying that! I just adore you and your blog so much.
    Being a dessert-addict myself, I just love that you offer healthier versions that taste as amazing.
    And guess what? I just got your book today and am so excited to try out all the recipes.

Keep up the good work, love 🙂

10. andrea says

I just found your website and I am loving it! We are healthy eaters, but beyond that, your recipes are easier for my limited access to certain ingredients; I live in Mozambique. Thank you!!!

11. Shannon W says

Wow. I had to comment to say how delicious these brownies were. I mixed in a blender and used a full cup of the maple syrup instead of adding sugar. Although as Kaite said, the bender doesn’t have the best texture (it’s a little more chunky), the flavor is amazing. I’ve made black bean brownies before and these truly taste like real brownies.

A++++!!

12. Heidi Romero says

I was already a fan of the black bean brownies as well as the cookie pie, and this tops them both! I substituted applesauce for the oil and it came out perfect, so moist and fudgy. Thanks Katie for another amazing recipe!

13. an says

I made this pie last night and tasted it this morning – divine!
    So gooey and silky! Baked it for 20 minutes.
    I used honey (I’m not vegan), but the flavor of honey is too distinct, so I’d suggest using maple syrup or agave.
    Thank you!

14. Wendy Langford says

This is delicious. The key really is leaving it in the fridge. Most importantly, it just passed my picky husband’s taste test. He’s been pretty good about all my healthy recipes, but the desserts have been the hardest. Thanks.

15. Kelly J. R. says

I made this yesterday and it’s amazing! Very fudge-y and chocolate-y. My husband loves it too and couldn’t believe it was made with black beans. I used 3/4 C. maple syrup and 1/4 C. coconut palm sugar. I also used a whole cup of dark choc. chips because, let’s me honest, you can never have enough chocolate!

16. anni says

Made these for the second time already, this time with sugar syrup instead of honey, next time I’d cut back on syrup though. They’e easy to make and dense, just the way I love my brownies. Definitely a go to recipe. Everyone loved it!

17. Camila says

I HAVE A PROBLEM. I left the beans soaking in water for a little too long and now they are sticky and with, I think, a tiny bit of moss!!! Did I screw up or there’s still hope???

18. Casey says

yum yum yum!! I actually toyed around with the cookie pie recipe over the holidays and made gingersnap cookie pie for my gluten free friends, and it was a huge hit. I can’t wait to make this version!

19. Julie says

I made the deep dish cookie pie tonight to take something gluten free to a meeting. I tell everyone I know about it and my adult kids ask for it. Great recipe!