Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Four-Minute Coconut Macaroons

If you run to your kitchens right now, you can assemble these delicious cookies in 4 minutes flat!

vegan macaroons

On your mark…

Get set…

Go!

vegan macaroons

They’re probably one of the easiest cookies I’ve ever made.

Soft, chewy, amazingness.

macaroons

Easiest-Ever Coconut Macaroons

(Can be gluten-free!)

These were inspired by this little cookie.

• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp whatever flour you wish (such as ww pastry or even coconut flour)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp lite canned coconut milk (or full-fat)
  • 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup
  • 1 packet stevia (or 1 more tbsp agave/maple)
  • 1/4 tsp coconut extract (or pure vanilla extract)
  • tiny bit over 1/16 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a tall dish and microwave 3 minutes. (Or cook on the stovetop until it’s firm enough to scoop out in ball shapes.) Scoop into balls on a cookie tray (I used a melon baller, but a spoon or ice-cream scoop will work.) Cook at 360 F for 14-16 minutes. (Or maybe even cook the balls in the microwave??) Let cool before removing from tray.

Click if you want a Lower-Calorie Version.

Optional: dip in chocolate, or drizzle chocolate over the tops.

vegan macaroon

These are so super-soft, which is exactly how I like my cookies. I can’t stand crunchy cookies. (Am I the only one in the world who doesn’t like Oreos?)

I’d love your input:

What are some fancy desserts you can think of?

A few days ago, I was honored by being asked to make a dessert for a feature on a popular website. (More on this when I don’t have to keep it secret any more!) I want to wow the website’s readers, showing healthy and vegan food in the best-possible light. Cookies are yummy, but they just don’t have that wow factor (even when dipped in chocolate).

And the recipe must be new, which disqualifies the obvious.

Do y’all have any ideas for fabulous, over-the-top desserts that I could try and recreate in a healthier (and vegan) form? Maybe something like a Tiramisu or Crème Brulee??

No ratings yet.

Published on September 26, 2011

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

212 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Liz @ Southern Charm says

Wow. I’m going to go ahead and listen to your directions and run to the kitchen now … if only I didn’t have to get back to work! Maybe tonight??

I love love love french macaroons. The ones with the fillings. Swoon!

2. Jennifer says

Katie, you are not alone! I have always totally hated Oreos! But, I seriously love coconut macaroons. They are one of my favorite cookies!

3. Lilly says

Hi Katie!
    This is the very first time I comment here on your blog, because I learn English as a foreign language and I’m a bit afraid to write something that does not sound natural…

I’d like to suggest you an idea for the new desert you’re looking for 🙂
    I live in Brazil and we have a desert here that is a ‘must’, and maybe you can create a healthy version of it. It’s called “Pavê dos Padres” (that’s Portuguese spelling).
    We usually make it on a square glass pan, and place into it fresh strawberries in halves, then pour half a way with a vanilla sweet cream, and then the other half way with a sweet chocolate cream. You can also mix both creams, but not completely, creating an effect similar to marble.
    I was thinking that you can make the beige and brown creams with the silk tofu you like to use so much. What do you think?

By the way, I love love love your blog and have done a lot of your recipes :))
    Sometimes I get sad because here in Brazil it’s not possible to find certain ingredients listed on some of your recipes.
    Your today’s recipe is going to be made today. I can’t find the coconut extract, here so I’m using my homemade vanilla extract… anyway, I already know it’s going to be delicious!
    Thank you Katie for so many wonderful recipes!!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Aww hi Lilly!!

What are you talking about; your English is incredible! But I know what you mean… I am always nervous to speak Spanish to anyone, because I am afraid of making a mistake. (My Spanish is nowhere near as good as your English!)

That dessert sounds so delicious! I think I love creamy desserts almost as much as chocolate. I’ll have to search google for some recipes and see how to make it!

4. meg says

I can’t really think of any fancy desserts but maybe something with white chocolate. I haven’t ever been able to find vegan white chocolate so it would be nice to know a way to make some! Maybe even a white chocolate reeses cup?

5. Kimberly says

You always come up with yummiest looking treats!! But now you have out done yourself, little lady! A 4 MINUTE macaroon?!?!?! I have to try this…like today. like right now 🙂

6. Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) says

YUM!!! Trust me, if I had some coconut, I’d be making this RIGHT NOW 🙂

I second someone’s vote for peanut butter pie! 😀

7. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather says

The quicker I can get cookie to mouth the better. These look fabulous girl!

That’s so exciting for you about the feature recipe!! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

8. Becky @ Skinnyfat Girls says

Oh YUM! I will be making these ASAP, because I’m obsessed with all things coconut…and the fact that they take three minutes to put together is definitely a plus! As far as fancy desserts, I’ve been thinking about attempting a healthy, vegan tiramisu, but if you make it first, well, that’d be ideal! 😉

Good luck, I’m sure whatever you come up with will be beautiful and scrumptious!

9. Krystina (Organically Me) says

I would stick with French desserts/pastries – creme brulee, croissants, French macarons, etc. They’re very reliant on butter end eggs, and also fairly high in fat, so it’d be interesting to see your version.

10. Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) says

I neeeeed to make these!!! I know I say that about ALL your recipes, but it’s just so true!! I love macaroons but wasn’t sure how to make them healthy. Now you’ve done that for me! Thank you! 😉

As for the fancy dessert… maybe something like a fresh fruit tart with the pastry cream and everything or that layered dessert that has fruit, pound cake, and whipped cream! Or that chocolate pots de cream thing – no idea what it’s called but they’re like individual baked chocolate pudding cake things. Sorry for the awful description! Or maybe lemon bars/tarts or cream puffs with chocolate sauce or one of those cakes that you roll with a creamy filling or fresh fruit crepes or cannoli (!!!) or chocolate croissants or eclairs! I know that you will wow the readers with anything you make! 😀

Oh and I made a chocolate chip pizzert the other day!!! The picture on my blog is not exactly appealing but it tasted AMAZING!!!!! Ahhh, your pizzerts are just SO goooood!! 😀 <3

11. Stephanie @ StephSnacks says

these look so fantastic — I absolutely love coconut. When I think of a super fancy dessert, for some reason Baked Alaska comes to mind.

12. Lauren says

You might be one of the 4 people in the world that does not like Oreos. It’s OK though!

For a fancy dessert, I immediately thought of tiramisu or baked Alaska. Good luck! 🙂

13. Lisa says

never actually had a macaroon- are they fluffy? soft? hahah. look yummy though!
    Hmm..fancy desserts. no clue actually… i only have desserts like cookies or pie!
    how about those rainbow cookies?? with the 3 layers? 🙂

14. Nicole says

These are really easy. I made some awesome vanilla bean macaroons a while back, but they were slightly labor intensive so I haven’t made them since. Thanks for the motivation to get coconutty. I love the chocolate drizzle on the top 🙂

15. Ellen says

You don’t like Oreos? Gasp!
    Then again I hate coconut and avocados which shocks some people.
    For a fancy dessert, how about a trifle? Normally it’s a dairy bonanza with pastry cream, whipped cream, etc. But if you could veganify it, and add chocolate somehow, what with all the delicious fruits that are in a trifle that would be awesome. And if you could do it without using coconut, I’d kiss your chocolate covered feet.

16. Lacey says

Vegan Gelato!!!!!!! probably would have to be made out of nuts, but if you made it you would be my hero. before vegan, i would get real, italian gelato at a little place by my house, omg there was rose flavored, lavender, oatmeal cookie, those were my favorite but they had chocolate, vanilla, etc. mmm vegan gelato is my dream

17. [email protected] of Sugar Free says

Awww 😀 They are so cute!!! I make a super fast macaroon with only two ingredients: coconut shavings and squash. The recipe is on my site. But when I get the craving for a macaroon, I just throw it, mix, and it’s ready in under a minute!

When I think of fancy-Creme Brulee. I mean just listen to the name! It screams fancy! Or espresso ice cream? That sounds fancy, and it would be super easy to make using your Vitamix technique and subbing coffee mixed with coconut milk.