Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Homemade Luna Bars!

homemade luna bars

Since beginning this blog, I’ve created many flavors of Homemade Larabars.

But when, out of curiosity one day, I googled homemade Luna bars, I was surprised to find zero relevant results. Really? No one had made these yet? It was definitely time to change that.

luna bar recipe

I don’t usually buy Luna bars, but every now and then I find myself craving either one of their chocolate-dipped coconut or nutz over chocolate bars. The following recipe more-closely resembles the latter:

Homemade Luna Bars

Inspired by Homemade Rice Crispy Treats.

• 3 cups rice crispies (I used brown rice crispies. For a less-crispy bar, you can sub 2 cups of the crispies for 1/2 cup oat flour.)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used salted pb, too)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nut butter of choice (for lower-cal option, see below link)
  • 1/2 cup sticky sweetener, such as agave or brown rice syrup (I used agave)
  • 2-3 tablespoons protein powder (you can omit)
  • melted chocolate chips or Sugar-Free Chocolate Sauce

Mix your pb, sweetener, extract, and salt. Melt (either in the microwave or stove), then pour over the cereal and powder, and stir very well, making sure to coat all the crispies. Smush and smash the crispies. (Get mad; it’s fun!) Line a pan with wax paper and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of wax paper on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can. Really press it down! Spread the chocolate on top, and freeze for at least a half hour before slicing.

Click for lower-sugar and Lower-Calorie Options.

I didn’t bother to figure out the nutritional info for these, as it will vary depending on what protein powder and chocolate sauce you use. But they are probably pretty comparable, calorie-wise, to packaged Luna bars. (The bars in the photos were made with the no-sugar chocolate sauce.)

luna bars

Do you like energy bars?

My favorites are probably my Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars.

But I don’t always have time to make homemade bars. So if I’m in a hurry and need a quick and portable snack, I’ll often grab a cookie dough Larabar or a chocolate-chip Z bar, or a chocolate Jocalat bar… I’m picky about my energy bars; I only like the ones that have chocolate!

No ratings yet.

Published on October 19, 2011

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

213 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Katherine says

KATIE! You have just become my favorite person. 😀
    I am seriously a Luna bar addict – they’re my one real splurge item at the store and thankfully I know somewhere that I can get them for less than $1 each. But homemade is always better! I’m definitely going to experiment with different flavors next time I’m home because the chocolate raspberry is my favorite.

2. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says

I’ve always wanted to make my own Luna bars! They’re so yummy but I don’t buy them anymore because of the isolated soy protein and palm kernel oil. Yay for a tasty looking clone! 🙂

3. Faith @ For the Health of It says

I do love my energy bars once in a while. Clif’s are my favorite (I would LOVE to find a recipe for homemade ones) and they save my bum pretty often when I’m on the go.

4. Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) says

I LOVE LUNA BARS!! Energy bars are one of my FAVE things, because I am always hungry and always on-the-go so I need something to keep me going!! I am buying some crispies as soon as I can to make these! 😀

5. Anna says

Oh, yay!!!! I love Luna bars!! I’ve been trying to figure out how to recreate the Lemon Zest ones, actually, so if you have any ideas let us know please. 🙂

• Vanessa says

Luna copycat on Google, it was on the first page this spring, but now I see it’s down to the 3rd page….
        Btw-the reason I went searching for the Luna bars, is b/c I found several recipes (including yours) for Clif, and lara type bars, (and then got hooked!) and then became interested to see if I could find Luna ones too, but that was the only one I found at that time…

6. Stefanie says

I know you could do it. I used to be a big fan of luna bars but switched to Odwalla bars. After eating a Luna bar I was not happy with it. It had a funny taste. These are perfect because the ingredients are not so processed like the soy in the Luna bars. Plus, a little more chocolate wouldn’t hurt either. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe.

7. Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure says

I was seriously just thinking the other day I’ve not seen a recipe anywhere for homemade Luna bars, so I thought about trying to make some. But then I thought about something else and forgot. LOL Thanks for taking on the challange! Now, I just need to find some crispie brown rice cereal…

8. Holly says

I don’t think I’ve commented before but I’m a long-time reader, non-vegan that is a big fan or your recipes! (Even though I love butter.) Luna bars are my favorite energy bar and these look great–can’t want to try them! (If you could figure out a recipe for homemade Chocolate Raspberry Luna bars, you would be my hero! (;)

9. Moni'sMeals says

LOVELY!! These look fantastic Katie, nice work! I have a “bar” recipe similiar to this but I love yours, here just as much. 🙂 Love your pics too!

Not a big fan of bars…unless they are homemade or with exceptional ingredients. 🙂

10. Dalai Lina says

I used to live off of energy bars! Now I try to grab an apple or some nuts. I bet my kids would love these bars! Thanks!

11. Lou says

I’ve never tried Luna bars…. but these looks delicious! Can’t seem to get Luna, lara or cliff bars in Australia – booo! Good thing you’ve come up with homemade versions for us Aussies who are missing out (you’re awesome!) 🙂

12. Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. says

Nice job tackling the ‘never been done before’! I think Luna bars are more intimidating to do at home because of the soy crunch part – rice crispies + protein power is better than the soy stuff if you ask me so I need to give these a try!

13. Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas says

I’m not a HUGE fan of energy bars because I sometimes wonder where all of that energy is coming from! lol
    I love these! So new and exciting!

14. Amber K says

I’m really picky about bars, because some taste AMAZING but have the nutritional content of a candy bar, and others don’t taste so good. My absolute favorite are peanut butter chocolate Zing bars. I just wish they weren’t so expensive! I guess that is to convince me to not eat them too often. 😉

15. Danielle says

I am definitely going to have to try this! I LOVE Clif and Luna bars…I have to resist them very often and try and save them when I don’t have time to eat a meal but am very hungry. I love the Brownie flavour Luna bar…it is amazing!! (You should try and replicate that one…)

16. Lisa says

choc chip z bars are my pre workout bar of choice!
    white chocolate macadamia nut clif bars are also amazinggggg 🙂

yummy looking recipe looks like chocolate dipped rice krispie treats 🙂

17. Jodi Theisen says

We don’t have Luna Bars here In Oz, so much as loony bars! 😉 But my girls have a playdate this morning and what better way to coerce a group of 3 year olds into doing what you want them to do than by bribing them with said Luna Bars!!! Thanks Katie, you’ve saved the day again! I think I’ll chuck in a handful of cocoa nibs and see how they go, I’ll let you know…

18. katie @KatieDid says

It’s like a healthier chocolate dipped rice crispy treat! Most energy bars are sort of glorified candy bars in my opinion, except several companies like larabar that really take the time to make a nutrient dense energy bar. I haven’t purchased an energy bar in a really long time though.