Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Nutella Chocolate Chip Blondies

Oh yes, Nutella blondies…

Flourless / NO oil / extra fudgy #vegan nutella chocolate chip blondies - (70 calories) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/09/23/nutella-chocolate-chip-blondies/ @choccoveredkt

People are often surprised when they find out what type of music I like.

Perhaps this is due to my innocent demeanor or the fact that I am always wearing pink.

Or that I have the stereotypically “girly” job of baking for a living.

But the truth is you’d be much more likely to find me listening to hard rock or metal than Katy Perry or Beyoncé as I measure ingredients, stir batters, clean dishes, and pull batches of homemade chocolate chip blondies from the oven.

Secretly Healthy Nutella Chocolate Chip Blondies https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/09/23/nutella-chocolate-chip-blondies/

nutella blondie bars

While wearing pink.

pin-it

Nutella Chocolate Chip Blondies

Adapted from: Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

• 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar of choice or xylitol
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 additional tbsp sugar of choice
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup choc-hazelnut spread or Homemade Healthy Nutella
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus extra for the top if desired

Grease an 8-in square baking pan, and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a high-quality food processor (taste and texture will be much better if a blender is not used), process all ingredients but the chips until smooth. Stir in the chips, then smooth into the baking pan, being sure to scoop out every last bit of the batter. Sprinkle some extra chips on the top if desired for presentation. Bake 30 minutes, then remove from the oven to cool. The Nutella blondies will look underdone at first, but this is okay. Once completely cool, cover the pan and refrigerate overnight. The texture will be much firmer the next day.

View Nutella Blondies Nutrition Facts

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

87 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. mb says

I don’t eat beans anymore but am always trying variations on this type of treat. Dexotinista has a version I make when it’s cool enough to use the oven. Took lessons a few years ago from Gregg Hammond in DC – he was great. Picked up a killer Santa Cruz acoustic and it plays like butter. Lately it has been Linkin Park, and my one and only serious band love for the past (nearly) two decades, Foo Fighters (rejuv’d after seeing them at 9:30 Club). Enjoy.

2. Jen @ sweetgreenkitchen says

Looks can be deceiving. I like all kinds of music, but my favorite (especially when the kids aren’t in the car) is music that sounds real sweet and melodic but with really angry lyrics and LOTS of cursing! Just so much fun. I LOVE blondies and these look deceivingly good, but I’m always a little afraid to try sweets with beans. I think I may just bite the bullet and finally go for it with this one.

3. Chloe says

These blondies look delectable!
    Music- *Ω* I’m a total basshead! (electronic bass music) Dubstep, glitch hop, world bass… I’m totally addicted! This genre actually redefined music and “musician” to me. And I think dubstep is kind of the hard rock of electronic. 😉

4. Ally Knight says

oh my goodness, how weird! I have my own cupcake business, and as I am making these big, sugary, girly cupcakes I’ve got the Pandora station on my computer turned all the way up with rock and metal! And uhm, you’re a genious. Nutella and blondies are the best things ever!

5. Kat says

Sounds yummy! If you don’t mind me asking…what kind of camera do you use? I’m looking into getting a new one and love your pics!

6. Heather @ Shards of Lavender says

I always seem to have Pandora on the Lindsey Sterling station or Piano Guys when baking. There’s something so calming about instrumental music and, while I listen to music with lyrics, sometimes all the words are just too much for me. I also like traditional Indian music:) I think rock and metal music and pink go well together! Love how you are pursuing your dream to play guitar…

7. Hana says

I was telling myself no desserts until next week… but you’ve convinced me otherwise. 😉

Hearing you listen to rock and metal is indeed a surprise! I have to ask if you listen to some of the Japanese ones, since you lived there. If not and you’re interested, I’d be happy to recommend some to you! 🙂

• Hana says

I actually never did listen to Babymetal so I just listened to a couple songs and now I think you’ve got me hooked. 😛 My recommendations will be a little more metal/heavy rock probably haha. (And I have a lot, buckle in! Is there a “read more” feature for replies? Haha)

Aldious: all-female metal band. I’d suggest “Dominator” or “Spirit Black” to start with.
        Onmyo-za: Female-fronted metal band with a Classical Japanese twist. “Seiten no Mikazuki” or “Aoki Dougen” might be a good start.
        Light Bringer: Female-fronted metal band. Try “Hyperion” or “Resistance”.
        Asriel: Gothic Lolita metal unit with a female vocalist. They don’t have many music videos, but “Resurrection” is fantastic. Songwise, try “Metamorphose” as well.
        Yousei Teikoku ~Das Feenreich~: Fairy-inspired metal with a female vocalist. “Kyuusei Argyros” and “Mischievous of Alice” are great songs.

Versailles: World-famous superband, sound and look just like their name suggests. 😉 My favourite is “Ascendead Master”, and try “Masquerade”.
        the GazettE: Probably the most famous visual Japanese rock/metal band, and my favourite. They don’t have a set style, but I’ll suggest “Distress & Coma”, “Filth in the beauty”, and “Inside Beast” (their newest MV).
        Matenrou Opera: Somewhere between Versailles and DELUHI, the best description I’ve found for them was something like “hard aesthetic neoclassical opera hymn rock metal”. Super talented (and some acquaintances of mine). Try “Helios”, “Otoshiana no Soko wa Konna Sekai”, or “Independent”.
        DELUHI: Close friends of Opera. Super talented metal band but unfortunately no longer around. “the farthest” and “s[k]ape:goat” are some of my favourites.
        Miyavi: This man is incredible. He studied music and dance in San Francisco, plays slap guitar, and is a star in Angelina Jolie’s movie that’s out at the end of the year. “Kavki Boiz” and “What’s My Name?” are great songs.
        D : A fantastic Gothic metal band, who unfortunately is going away at the end of the year. “Konig der Dunkelheit” and “Schwarzchild” are great starters.
        Juka/XOVER/VII-Sense: Juka is the vocalist for the two bands, and in my opinion he had the best voice in the business. He’s since retired but you can still love his music. “Silent Assassin” from VII-Sense and Juka’s “Jewel” (no MV) are lovely songs.
        Sadie: A lighter version of the more popular and heavier Dir en grey (maybe you’ve heard of them?). Try “Toge” or “Cry More”.

And because it’s Halloween, Malice Mizer and Moi dix Mois. They’re headed by the same person, Mana, who is considered responsible for the popularity of Gothic and Lolita in Japan. (Gackt, the popular pop artist and actor, was originally in Malice Mizer. Juka, who I listed above, got his start in Moi dix Mois.) Very Gothic and very Halloween-y! From Malice Mizer, try the “Gekka no Yasoukyoku” and, though it’s very long, watch “Seinaru Koku Eien no Inori” live, you won’t regret seeing their staging. For MdM, try “Pessimiste” (the original version) and “Metaphysical”.

Phew! And these are just my favourites. I have tons more. 😛 But that should be more than enough for you to look into! Let me know which ones you like, I’m always curious to hear back. Enjoy!

8. Heather Mason says

It is crazy there is nutella in there, it doesn’t look like it at all. SPeaking of girls like rock music, did you happen to see the kids cooking show with Rachel Ray? THere is a tiny little girl that likes rock music, and it just reminded me of you.

9. Nicole says

I think it’s cool to hear about someone else listening to heavier music while baking. That’s what puts me into the zone where I can get down to business making a cake. It makes everything so much more enjoyable 🙂 Lately I’ve been doing EVERYTHING to The Used, who I’ve always loved. What are some bands you listen to?

By the way, I make variations of your milkshakes (not super sweet ones) for breakfasts many mornings and love them 🙂 Breakfast is so much yummier now!

10. Stephanie says

I had a friend in high school who also was really into wearing pink and baking and she was a hardcore Eminem fan! You really can’t judge a book by it’s cover!

These look super yummy 🙂

11. Rachel @ Live. Learn. Lift. Repeat. says

Me too! I love hard rock and metal (real metal lol) and lately have been on either a hip-hop/rap or drum and bass/techno kick. I really listen to a whole lot of everything except the typical songs played over and over again on the radio lol! There are a few now and then I like but that’s usually it. IHeartRadio is great bc I can listen to the station from home that always played good music! And these look soo good! I will be making some this weekend for sure!

12. Amanda F says

These look delicious!

I, too, love hard rock and metal. Blonde hair blue eyed little me 😉 I often sit in my cube at work and listen to Tool, Slipknot, Nonpoint, Rage Against the Machine, etc. I think it surprises people because I’m the only female (I’m a mechanical engineer) and I am constantly bringing in baked goods. Not to mention I am super soft spoken.

13. Kate says

I am your diametric opposite. When people find out I’m a singer, they assume I sing hard rock or metal. I’m a torch singer! Nobody would guess that I’m into pop music or that I have an undying love for the Beatles (and all their solo albums too). The truth is that I love music from all countries and all eras. Some people think that’s weird, but I think it’s weird that people won’t give polka a chance. You know, polka and metal are very similar. The rhythms are pretty much identical!

Did you hear that Faith No More is going back in the recording studio to do a new album???? I am so excited! If you don’t know who I’m talking about, they do experimental metal. I like to call it experimetal. They incorporate elements of jazz, funk, and other genres into metal. They do mostly originals, but they have done covers of such artists as The Commodores, The Bee Gees, and Burt Bacharach. Definitely my favorite hard rock band!

Good luck with learning the guitar! I mean, break a leg! If you decide to become a recording artist, maybe we can do a song together.

Oh and just so you know, I’ve been making your recipes with kamut flour lately, and they have all turned out great so far!

14. Kimberly says

Hi Katie

I made these last night so they could hang out in the frig over night and be ready for me to dive into today !

Only issue is… mine aren’t blond at all … they are very brown. I used 1/4 cup store bought Nutella and 1/2 Trader Joe’s chocolate chip , didn’t even put extra ones on top!

They are still wonderful : ) Will make again for sure !

15. Collyflower says

Haha that’s awesome! I’m the same, I listen to a LOT of rap, but don’t really fit the stereotypical rap fan description (vegan white thirty-something woman, hippyish in a log cabin?) hmmm and yet…. Bring on the Eminem! AND these blondies! Thanks Katie!

16. Irina says

Hi Katie! I’m exactly the same with music. I love heavy metal! What are your favourite bands? My taste is quite symphonic: Epica, Nightwish, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Apocalyptica, Dream Theater… 🙂 <3 Metal is good for soul!

17. Lisa says

Hi Katie!

I made these and they came out sooooooooooooo good!!! I love this recipe .. i think its my favorite one. My husband loved them also and had no idea that they were healthy because they’re that good 🙂

18. Katie G says

You know..
    I was NOT surprised when I read you love rock music because my mother who is the most beautiful person and amazing baker is also a serious rock chick! Embrace what sounds good to your ears 🙂
    Oh and these blondies are right at the top of my ‘to bake’ list 🙂

19. Bretta Thompson says

I could omit the chocolate chips and use raisins or Craisins? And maybe add a little bit of Chopped walnuts. I am so trying these! Katie you are a FLIPPING GENIUS. You have NO idea how many POUNDS you have saved me from gaining with your inventive recipes! NEVER STOP!

20. Mello says

Wish I could add a picture .. My blondies are just fresh out of the oven and I will be putting them in the fridge afterwards…we will take them out and serve them tomorrow night…hopefully my guests will love them. :). I made both recepies (blondies and Health Nutella).

21. Misheddy says

Wow, just made these for a snack with the kids. We went on a walk while they cooled but couldn’t resist trying them before they were refrigerated. Both kids and I highly approved, and they’re terribly amazingly gooey this way. Hopefully there will be some to try refrigerated tomorrow 😉 I like all kinds of music, from classical to punk rock and metal but my forever favorite has got to be Weezer. I just can’t be in a bad mood listening to them.

22. Sam says

I made these last night and took into work this morning, last week I made the zucchini brownies which they were not sure about- however they got eaten! I really like these I used butter beans as I was out of chick peas! Lovely, really easy to make, tasty and the huge bonus is they are healthy! Mixed reaction again with my work colleagues! More for me so I don’t mind! Thank you for your recipes they are inspiring!

23. Virginia says

Dear Katie, these bars are absolutely delicious! I’ve made them twice in the past three days, doubling the recipe the second time and baking them in a 13x9x2″ pan because the first batch disappeared in hours. My son and husband and I tried the bars within minutes of them coming from the oven, and they were wonderful! My husband, who doesn’t like chickpea anything, never knew they were in there and happily gobbled up two servings. He asked if I used hot fudge topping in the recipe because they were so gooey and fudgy (mine looked and tasted like brownies)! Thank you for this amazing recipe! I also made the coconut crack, and it was incredible that such simple ingredients could taste so delicious! I love your recipes and website! Thank you! Virginia