Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Run run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the soft-pretzel man.

Stressful morning. Awesome afternoon.

This AM, I was in full Spanish-mode as I prepared for my 10 o’clock Spanish Literature exam. Four essays later (yes, FOUR), it was time to de-stress.

In the afternoon, I met up with a friend, and together we embarked on a fast-paced run to get rid of all that exam angst. About 45 minutes into our run, we discovered that we were near the mall. So we dragged our sweaty selves indoors for some hard-earned fuel. My hard-earned fuel of choice was an Auntie Anne’s Cinnamon-Sugar soft-pretzel.

These pretzels are sweet, doughy, and (when ordered without butter) completely vegan! I love the Cinnamon-Sugar flavor best (ask them to use Pam spray in place of butter so the cinnamon’ll stick), but other noteworthy vegan flavors include Original, Almond, Whole Wheat, Garlic, Jalapeno, Glazin’ Raisin, and Sesame. Yum yum yum!

Along with the run, eating my pretzel totally erased the stress of this morning.

¡Qué Bueno!

1. loveofoats says:

mmmmmm glad to hear that yummy pretzel de-stressed you 🙂 i used to eat auntie anne’s cinnamon raisin ones all the time!

2. Caitlin says:

omg, those are vegan?? those were always my favorite kind of pretzel but i didn’t think they were vegan! yum!! how did you find out they’re vegan?
    also, after you order it, do you have to wait a long time for them to make the pretzel with pam instead of butter (because don’t they usually have them sitting there pre-made)? how long does it take?

3. trustmyintuition says:

Caitlin took the words right out of my mouth “omg, those are vegan?” haha! Along with the marshmallow fluff that you informed me about, I never would have guessed!! Cinnamon sugar was always my favorite Auntie Anne’s Soft Pretzel! MMMM!!!

4. ChickPea says:

That’s so cool that Auntie Anne makes her pretzels vegan–smart lady. You’re making me crave cinnamon sugar like crazy…I might just have to incorporate it into my breakfast tomorrow!

5. Rach-ums says:

Oh yummy! I wish we had Aunt Annie’s here, we only have Pretzel Maker and i don’t think theirs are vegan 🙁 Enjoy yours for those of us who can’t! lol

6. funwithyourfood says:

hmm i could go for some garlic pretzel right about now!

7. Jill says:

Cool! I need to try those out! The almond flavor is calling my name.

8. shellyfish says:

Wow! That pretzel looked so so so tasty! Yum! And suerte for your exams!

9. Alice (in Veganland) says:

Pues sí, qué bueno! hehe. I’m so confused with the sweet pretzels… Here they are always salty! You lucky people!

10. Vegetation says:

Mmmmm you just forced me to go and google pretzel recipes…….::drool::

11. Anonymous says:

hmmmm….pretzel looks good, but you carry a CAMERA on a 45 minute run?? Where?

12. Jenny says:

I did not know these were vegan! See why I love reading your blog?

13. Paulina says:

Yum, I love Annie’s Pretzels! Unfortunately, the first time I ordered mine vegan, they were very rude. The told me I had to wait a couple of minutes for them to prepare it from scratch. Well, a couple minutes turned to 15 minutes which turned to 20 minutes which then turned to 30 minutes but you get the idea. It wasn’t a good experience 🙁

14. Kelly T says:

ooh i havent had a spft pretzel in a while. i always eat all the salt off first. then dip it in bright yellow mustard. mmm.

I used to work at jamba juice (BEWARE! super high calorie and not good for you unless you get the enlightened ones) they have parmesean pretzels that a friend and I would always eat half of and then trow the rest in the dish water to avoid the rest. We did it about 4 times a shift, so i guess it didnt help much, but oh, the memories.

im glad you day got better.

15. pavotrouge says:

funny… sweet pretzels are totally unheard of in Germany.

16. Tina says:

Cinnamon-sugar pretzels are my favorite too! Yum!!!!!!

17. Emma says:

Mmmm I have never had a pretzel but yours looks delicious! Sounds like great refueling food!

You must be pleased to have got another exam out of the way. I hope that it went well!

I cannot wait to get through my first exam, I am absolutely dreading it!

18. Jennifer says:

That sounds like a stressful exam! Four essays? Sounds like the Major Field Test that we had to take to graduate at Columbia College, it was SCARY!

A run and a pretzel sounds like a fantastic way to relax, and it’s really nice to know that those pretzels are VEGAN, awesome!

19. oatmeal says:

Vegan pretzels?! Shoot me–how have I never known they existed?!

And oh wow I can’t believe they made you write FOUR essays! I can barely handle one as it is..X_x …that’s probably why I stick to courses that require lab reports :p

20. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Haha, I WISH I knew how to take a camera with me when I run, because on my runs I end up seeing so many cool things (animals, natural beauty, etc.), but I hold a water bottle in one hand and my phone in the other (and yesterday, because I knew I was going to the mall, my credit card was in my sock!).

So I cheated– the picture of the pretzel is atually not of yesterday’s pretzel… but yesterday’s looked exactly the same LOL.

Usually it does not take long AT ALL for them to make a vegan pretzel since they’re continually popping more out of the oven, and dipping them in butter is the last step. They get quite a few requests for no-butter pretzels, due to people watching their fat/calorie intake. In fact, they get SO many no-butter requests that on their website it even lists all the nutritional information for each pretzel ordered without butter. So it’s nice that they don’t give you weird looks when you order a pretzel sans butter! Usually it’ll take an extra 2-5 minutes. Only once, I had to wait like 15 minutes, and the guy was SOOO apologetic about it that he not only gave me the pretzel for free, he also gave me a voucher for a free pretzel on my NEXT visit! Talk about friendly service!

I forget how I first learned these pretzels were vegan (I’ve known for years) but here is what the Auntie Anne’s company has to say about their pretzels:

“Thank you for your interest in Auntie Anne’s Hand-Rolled Soft Pretzel products. We welcome and appreciate the input from our customers so that we may continually improve our system and respond to their needs and suggestions.

“The pretzel mix does not contain any ingredients from animal, dairy or egg sources; however, there are other factors to consider. Most of the dips, some of the toppings (i.e., parmesan herb, sour cream & onion), Mocha Dutch Ice, Dutch Treat products, plus the pretzels that are dipped in butter would contain ingredients that would be from animal sources (primarily milk or dairy related). Overall, though, there are several of our pretzels that you can enjoy (Original, Whole Wheat, Cinnamon Sugar, Garlic, Jalapeno, Glazin’ Raisin, etc.) that would not contain any ingredients from animal sources provided that they are requested without butter. A secondary alternative with consumers in a situation as yours would be to use one of our At Home Pretzel Kits (available in most stores). This product allows you, the consumer, to prepare the product under your own control, in the privacy of your house, and still have the enjoyment of the product. The ingredients for this product are listed on the side of the package and does not contain any ingredients from animal sources.

Once again, thank you for you interest in Auntie Anne’s products, and if you have any other questions or comments, please contact us. Have a great day!!”