Bulgur and the Beast

Well, except there is no beast in this story, so really the title should just be “Bulgur”… but that’s much too boring, don’t you agree?

Normally, I’m a huge fan of simple, quick-to-prepare meals. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, this statement probably doesn’t surprise you. I love to eat… but cooking all day is just not my thing. I’d much rather be scrapbooking, reading, exercising, playing sports, cake-decorating, or hanging out with my friends and family.

Every so often, however, the Cooking Bug will bite me, chasing me into the kitchen! A few months ago, the aforementioned Bug showed his face and inspired me to create a bulgur pilaf. It’s super-healthy, and my whole family loves it. I’ve made the recipe twice now (it freezes well, too).

Since I owe this dish’s existence to the Cooking Bug, I named the creation after him. 😉 And so, I give you:

Bulgur Pilaf

Bug-A-Boo Bulgur Pilaf

(Makes four Katie-sized servings… in other words, four large servings)

1 cup vegetable stock or Imagine No-Chicken Stock
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tbsp  fresh, grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 zucchini, chopped
5 green onions, cut into about 1-inch pieces (don’t use the roots)
2 medium carrots, finely diced
3 cups bok choy or spinach (I’ve made this recipe twice now, once each way. Both work well.)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 cups cooked bulgur (It works best if you chill the cooked bulgur in the fridge for a few hours before using)

In a bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Set aside. Preheat a pan or wok over medium-high heat and sauté the carrots and zucchini in your sauté-liquid of choice. Add in about 1/4 of the stock mixture. Stir-fry for 3-5 minutes. Add the green onions, bok choy (or spinach), garlic, and another 1/4 of the stock mixture, and stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Add the bulgur and the rest of the stock mixture. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. When my mom eats this dish, she puts her own spin on the recipe– she mixes the pilaf with a can of pineapple tidbits for a tropical flair.

Tags: , , ,

1. fruity says:

mmm, those dishes look delicious!
    The worst part about cooking is washing the dishes after!

2. Erin says:

Such a versatile, yummy looking dish! I have some bulgur to use up soon, don’t know if I’ll get to it though…

3. Jenn says:

Mmm, I’m loving the Katie-sized portion – extra big and filling makes me a happy camper :o)

4. just me says:

mmmm…that dish looks delicious!

and so many things to pair it with!

5. Healthy eating blog says:

im RIGHT with ya! i LOVE when the cooking bug bites me, and wish he would do it more often (twice a day would be nice :o) ) and you my dear are SUPER creative! i just love your yummy looking meals, and crazy concoctions/recipes! is their anything you CANT DO!? ill answer it for you. no their isnt, you can do EVERYTHING! <3 ya! have a great day!

6. Mark Salinas says:

Great looking recipes!

7. Lauren says:

I don’t think I’ve ever had bulgur.. but your plates look so delicious! I’ll have to try your recipe out soon! 🙂

8. ashley says:

MMM, bulgur! I love throwign a bunch of things in a skillet like this. These meals are usually great reheated. I’ll try your version!

9. Bianca says:

That sounds great! I love bulgur! I should try this for sure.

I love the Katie-sized portions and that smoked tofu looks lovely! It amazes that you can eat bulgur with chopsticks.

10. Jackie says:

Thanks for the great recipe. I have a packet of bulgar and was wondering what to do with it as I have only cooked it once before about two years ago.

You appear to be becoming a pilaf expert whether you like cooking or not 🙂

11. Katy says:

Katie, me messing up the cauliflower was NOT your fault. I used garlic powder, when your directions call for minced garlic. A tsp. of minced garlic would have been perfect. You have a great recipe and you don’t need a disclaimer at all. So don’t feel bad! I’m definitely going to make it again, but next time I’ll actually follow your directions! 🙂

That bulgur looks fabulous!

12. Chandra (Eating to Live) says:

oooh, I totally know what you mean about loving to eat but being lazy with cooking. I’m the same way, I love easy-to-prepare things.

But great job on the ‘pilaf’! it sounds so gourmet, haha. And looks delicious 🙂

13. MTB Vegan says:

that looks so very yummy!

14. jessy says:

wow! i love your bug-a-boo bulgur pilaf! it looks amazing! good to know that it freezes well, too! you’ve gotta love making something yummy that you can save for later when you may not have enough time to make the whole dish. that rocks! and i need to get some of that tofu – it looks awesome!

15. Ricki says:

Lovely combo of ingredients–I’m sure you could sub quinoa or some other grain for the bulgur, too. And pineapple?? Go figure!

16. kindkitchen says:

The bulgur dish looks/sounds awesome! I am glad the cooking bug bit you 🙂

17. shellyfish says:

I love bulgur! I could go for a big, bad bowl of your tasty dish right now!!

18. Nikki Douglas says:

I love bulgur – this looks so good.

19. ChickPea says:

Ya know, I think I have a little of that in me too–I LOVE to eat but cooking is kind of a drag sometimes. I am just too impatient for some recipes. This one looks like a winner though!

20. Emma says:

MMmm yummy! I haven’t eaten bulgar in a long time. You reminded me how tasty it can be!