Do you want to know a Secret: Part II

There is a way to make even creamier oatmeal.
(Not to mention creamy bulgur, wheatberries, and barley too.) It’s all thanks to one secret step. Are you ready for the secret to be revealed??? If so, scroll down. (Hmmm, this sounds like one of those annoying chain emails. But I promise I won’t make you send this message to 10 people or risk a lifetime of bad luck!)

(Keep going)

(getting closer)

(almost there)

.(Are you annoyed with me yet?)

Here lies the secret of how to make the creamiest bulgur, wheatberries, barley, spelt, oatmeal, etc. ever:
vitamix oatmeal

You can use a Vitamix, food processor, or regular blender, but I like to use a hand blender because it’s easier to clean. Just make the grains the way you normally would, then blend! (If you want a creamier or thinner consistency, add a little water, milk, or juice prior to blending.)  Sometimes I pulverize the grains to oblivion (the Vitamix or blender is good for this), while other times I barely blend them (the hand blender works well for this– Just blending the grains for a few seconds is long enough for the flavors to meld together but short enough that they still retain their yummy chewiness).

What can you do with these now-creamy grains? Well, you can pretty much use any favorite oatmeal recipe and substitute a different cooked (and blended) grain.

Many ideas can be found on the Chocolate-Covered Recipes’ page,under the title “All Things Oatmeal.” Just use any of the crazy oatmeal recipes and blend the oatmeal + mix-ins. Or, sub a different grain for the oats in one of the oatmeal recipes. Expand your breakfast horizons! Your tummy will thank you.

Photos:

strawberry shortcake oatmeal

Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal Pudding

Below, Blended Breakfast Bulgur with Banana (Yikes– that’s entirely too many Bs for one recipe title!) I cook up a serving of bulgur, then I add a little soymilk or a little vegan butter and salt and blend away! It yields a pudding-like consistency. You could also add sugar, raisins, nuts, apple juice, peanut butter, etc.  Get creative!

Happy Breakfast Pudding-eating! :)

1. magpie says:

Oooo cool. I love cream of wheat, and grits, which probably have similar consistencies. Yummy :)

2. shellyfish says:

you're such a woman of mystery! I love my hand blender, especially for soups- makes 'em all creamy & stuff without, well, the cream!

3. Camille says:

Hey there. I commented yesterday about the weight gaining issue and just wanted to say sorry if I cam off as a little abrasive. Thanks for replying and it’s great that you accept the way you are and I hope I can do the same. I’m still considered underweight and many people, especially strangers tend to make rude or just annoying comments that used to make me extremely self conscious and just… pissed off. heh. I have gained around 10 lbs and am at a solid 90 at 5’2″ and trying my best to maintain it and hope that I can also have a better self image of myself in the future, like you have.

Oh and awesome blender! I saw a commercial for something like that…it was so powerful in whipping air into any mixture that is even made whipped cream from skim milk!

4. Vegyogini says:

You’re a genius!

5. Joanna says:

i need to get one of those handblenders!!! i wanna try blended quinoa- i’m addicted to that stuff. and come to think of it, i just had rice and beans for dinner. how do u think that would be blended? haha

6. Claudia says:

Amazing idea! I used a hand blender the other for the first time, working with food not bombs, although at first I was skeptical as it looked like some scary dental contraption. I’m totally going to try this idea soon, and a hand blender is definitely on my wish-list. Nice job!

7. Bianca says:

Great idea! I really need to get one of those handy hand blenders…ha, I said handy hand.

8. talieworld says:

Oooo, your so clever Katie!
    I must give that a try. :)

9. Vaala says:

Those hand blenders are awesome. I’m always borrowing Mum’s for soup when I go over there. Saves the mess of moving your cooking into the food processor and then back out again.

10. shelby says:

How smart! Do you think it would work if I cooked my oats, left them overnight and then blended them in the morning? When ever I cook them the night before for school they get lumpy and stuck together, maybe by adding a little soymilk it would help it become creamier? YUM!

11. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Oh my gosh! Blended wheatberries?!? You genius, you! They look so good! I am anxious to try wheatberries as an oatmeal stand-in now, too.

12. River says:

You know, I can’t stand the chewiness of oatmeal and it never occurred to me that I could use a hand blender to make it smooth. Sweet! Thanks for such great idea!

(sorry if this posts twice, my computer is freaking out)

13. Meg says:

Love this post! So fun! Great idea to use the blender. I will try this and some of your recipes!

14. tofufreak says:

hehe good idea!!! i would have never have thought to use a hand blender!

15. Erin at caretoeat.net says:

That’s a great idea!
    They use that thing on Top Chef a lot. :)

16. Fitnessista says:

ahhh i want one of those little blenders!!

17. lexi says:

hi katie! ooh that looks amazing! i just wanted to tell you i got a different blog, and deleted my old one. i forgot my promise to never diet again! oops!

also

HI! i was wondering if anyone wanted to help support me on my recovery from binge eating disorder!? thanks in advanced. i need as much support as i can get!

18. Joanna says:

lexi, i’d definitely support u! i had an eating disorder and it controlled so much of my life. i am still recovering from it and that’s why i started my blog. any way i can help, i will!

best of luck!

19. aTxVegn says:

It must taste like heaven. You know I share your love for oatmeal. And chocolate. xoxoxo

20. Emma says:

brilliant idea! I always make my porridge with soya milk but had found that with some wholgrains- it just didn’t blend properly- no problem solved! Yay!

I have no excuses for not being able to make the best porridge ever!