Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal

Where were we?

Let’s continue with yesterday’s Crazy Oatmeal Story.
Ah yes, in the Secret Oatmeal Lair… Sure, it would have been easy to just crumble up chocolate-chip cookies into oatmeal and call it a day.  But:

1. I was up for more of a challenge.
  2. I wanted the oatmeal to be a little more nutritious than that.
  3. I didn’t have any chocolate-chip cookies on hand (sad, I know).

And so, after toiling many hours in the oatmeal chamber, I concocted this gorgeous creation:

z-232

Cookie Dough Oatmeal

(Serves 1 lucky person)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (40 grams) or another hot cereal (such as kamut flakes)
  • ½ cup milk of choice, plus more if you want to cook your oats in it. (120g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Chocolate chips
  • sweetener to taste—If I were making the recipe for myself, I probably would’ve either eaten it sans sugar or used the Melted Banana Trick.  But my friend doesn’t like bananas (Seriously, why am I friends with this girl?!), so I used brown sugar for her.
  • Walnuts
  • More dry oats (You’ll see why)

Cook 1 serving oats with the salt, and water or milk of choice, or a combination of both. (I use this cooking method: How to make Voluminous Oatmeal.) You can cook the oats ahead of time and fridge them until you’re ready to proceed with the recipe. Throw some chocolate chips into the oats and microwave until the chips are melty. Put the oats into a blender (I used the Magic Bullet short cup) with ½ cup of milk, the sugar, and the vanilla extract. If you want your oatmeal to be a bit chewy, blend for a very short time.  Blend longer for a more pudding-like consistency. Transfer the oatmeal to a bowl and mix in more chocolate chips, raw oats, and—if you’re so inclined—chopped walnuts.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. becca A says:

Yum. Sounds too good to be breakfast! Well….almost

2. Marianne says:

Obviously, that would be awesome. Even without the banana, because sometimes, a girl just doesn’t want to deal with the banana flavour (or is that just me?).

And perhaps if I get the urge, I’ll test out some pizza oats. But what pizza toppings to choose?!

3. ttfn300 says:

mmmm, what’s not to love about cookie dough? for breakfast!! 🙂

4. Yay! Glad your friend is now an oat lover! Those look decadent my friend!

5. Mmmm, what a great recipe. I’ll be sure to try it soon! By the way, the pizza oats still sound slightly strange to me but I guess toaster-oven pizza on oatmeal bread would be good. And I know that pizza rice is good because I loooove rice and tomato sauce. I’m sure if anyone can make it good you can!-Lisa D.

6. Jane says:

wow. if i was your friend and lived close to you, i would totally lie and say i didn’t like some type of food (like any grain haha) so that you would make an amazing concoction like this for me.
    bwahaha evil plan, huh? it would be worth it!

7. Gina says:

I used to eat a lot of savory oatmeal…its yummy! I keep meaning to have it again, I haven’t had it since I was vegetarian and put cheese in it!

8. Emily says:

Im loving your oatmeal creations!

Good luck with your hectic week!

9. Julie says:

That sounds awesome!! Definitely gonna try it soon!

10. Oh my goodness that looks amazing! You’re brilliant! Hmm pecan pie oats or tollhouse pie oats! Or carrot cake or chocolate eclair. Alright, so I’m a little hungry right now, haha.

11. Maggie says:

Awesome! Yay for converting people to oats!

12. brandi says:

pecan pie sounds good! I definitely want to see someone make pizza oats 🙂

13. melody says:

I think you could easily do a pizza oat cake!

14. NAOmni says:

This is absolutely awesome and going in my delicious cookbook so I can try to win over the boyfriend with it!

NAOmni

15. Shelby says:

I’m so glad she liked it!! Woo! I bet you could convert anyone with your recipes though. They are seriously the best =)

16. Yes!!! Thanks for being so quick to post your much-awaited creation! It sounds wonderful… And I never buy choc chips anymore, but on a whim today I got a handful of carob chips from the bulk section. I’m so glad I did because now I can try your oatmeal! And I’m going to do it tomorrow!

17. Ricki says:

You are too much! Shall we call you the Blended Cereal Queen? Or maybe Chocolate Covered Blended Cereal?? I had blended rice (no sugar though, on this diet–sniff, boo hoo) in your honor this morning!

18. Molly says:

I think you can make just about anything with oats… savory, sweet, etc. – they’re just so versatile! We should have a challenge – who can make something out of oatmeal that no one would ever have thought could have been made out of oatmeal. 🙂 Haha, a little wordy, hope you can understand!

19. Vegetation says:

OH MY YUM! Katie, you’ve outdone yourself (and that’s pretty hard to do!). I think I’m definitely going to have to give this one a try (with an oat substitution 🙁 but still…. :D)

20. Natalie says:

Love the recipe!

How can anyone not love a bowl like that. 😀