Changing the world, one oatmeal-hater at a time

My sister doesn’t hate oatmeal per se.

But, like many others, her idea of oatmeal is the mushy, runny goo one finds at cheap hotel buffets.  Needless to say, she’s not the food’s greatest fan. Always up for a challenge, I decided to repeat the oatmeal conversion process that worked so well on my friend.

Remember my recipe for “Cookie Dough” Oatmeal?

Time for a sisterly heart-to-heart:  “Little Sister, what’s your #1 favorite dessert food?” (Notice the carefully-selected choice of words this time.)Having just returned from college (for spring break), Sister Dearest must’ve been thinking of her current home when she answered, “Boston Cream Pie!”

Boston Cream Pie?  Really?  Of all the yummy desserts out there?  Aside from her beloved Boston Cream Pie doughnuts, I don’t think I’ve ever even seen Little Sister eat Boston Cream Pie.  But if that’s what she wanted, that’s what she was gonna get! The first source I called upon for inspiration was not a pie book; twas a cupcake book.  But this wasn’t just any old cupcake book.  No, it was the king of all cupcake cookbooks, Vegan Cupcakes take over the World.  Having never made Boston-Cream anything before, I relied on that vegan genius known as Isa Chandra Moskowitz for help.  I loosely (very loosely) based my oatmeal concoction on her recipe (page 65).  The result is pretty darn gorgeous, doncha agree? And according to Little Sister, it tasted amazing as well. But you don’t have to take her word for it; you can try Boston Cream Pie Oatmeal for yourself!

*Drumroll please*

CCK’s Boston Cream Pie Oatmeal

• 1 serving cooked oatmeal (cooked with water or milk; your choice)
  • 1/4 cup silken firm tofu
  • 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar or my sugar-free powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • Chocolate chips
  • Optional: Soyatoo whipped cream

To cook the oatmeal, you can use the “Voluminous Oatmeal” Trick.

Blend the cooked oatmeal with all other ingredients but the chips and Soyatoo. Transfer to a bowl, add some chocolate chips, and microwave until they’re a bit melty.  I then stirred the melted chips into the oatmeal and added more chips on top. Go to town with the whipped cream! Then, if you’re smart like my sister, you’ll mix the whipped cream into the oatmeal to get it reeeeaaaally creamy.  Here’s a pic of her bowl, after mixing:

See, I told you she was one smart cookie!

Sharing time: What’s your favorite dessert?

Who knows; I just might turn it into oatmeal!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Virginia says:

how about chocolate cheesecake??? or tiramisu?

2. Krista says:

Mmmmm…Boston Cream Pie oats sound fabulous!!! :)

3. Terri says:

cupcakes with lots of frosting!! so good!!

4. Kate says:

oooh!! I want that boston cream pie oats!!!What a great idea hun!

5. justine says:

Red velvet cake or brownies!

~Justine

6. justine says:

oh, or lemon cake. Try turning that into oatmeal! haha!

~Justine

7. brandi says:

yum :) that looks great!

8. gina (fitnessista) says:

that looks incredible! mm i love bost cream pie 😀
    i think my favorite dessert is chocolate mousse… especially the mexican kind, with a little bit of chili in there
    have a wonderful st pattys day!

9. Mariposa says:

that looks fabulous! i love the idea.. just mad i didnt come up with it first.. lol

10. Katie,
    How could your sister not love this bowl?!? You need to come convert my husband as he always turns his nose up at my oat bowls. Of course, mine are usually green with spinach these days. So, you can’t really blame him. :)

My favorite dessert? Homemade yellow cake with chocolate fudge icing and ice-cream.

11. jen molica says:

i think you have already made a chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal.

12. Sweetie Pie says:

That looks amazing, of course! I would expect no less from your oatmeal kitchen. Yum!

13. Celia says:

You wanna know my favorite dessert?! Umm … I have LOTS, so how about a THREE course dessert menu? YES?!! :mrgreen:

Ok, so here goes…

[Appetiser]
    Three peanut butter pretzel pillows drizzled with 70% dark chocolate

I actually never tried pb pretzels before, but I imagined they taste like little pillows of heaven

[Main Course]
    Dark Chocolate
    Vanilla Bean
    Apple and Cinnamon
    or
    Tiramisu flavored rice pudding, served [half] warmed and [half] chilled

Rice pudding, amazing – enough said! I like to eat half chilled, then warmed the other half in the microwave – that way, I get to savor the best of both worlds!:D

[Petit Fours]
    Petite square of rocky road slice

They get sickening after a petite bite 😉

Hehehe, thats it for me! I’m greedy eh?!!!

14. Happy St. Patty’s Day to you too! And that Boston Cream Pie oatmeal needs to get in my belly!

15. Sarah says:

yayyyy, so excited for this boston cream pie oatmeal! i’ve been eagerly awaiting your recipe. yum!

16. Mihl says:

How can people hate oatmeal? I am addicted to it!

17. Oh that looks great. I love Boston Cream Pie donuts – guilty pleasure. :) I think my all time fave dessert though is a warm brownie a la mode. I think we can work with that oatmeal-wise, no?

18. Eddie G says:

My favorite dessert has to be carrot cake…or cheeze cake…or maybe a combo of both :)

19. Lauren says:

happy st pattys day!!
    your boston cream pie oatmeal..oh katie your concoctions are just TOO amazing!! your sister has the same mind as me though..haha i used to LOVE those donuts..but i dont think ive ever actually had the actual pie.. weird!!

20. rhodeygirltests says:

tiramisu for sure!!!!!!!!

or fresh berries, but that’s an easy one hahaha