Spaghetti Made From Mushrooms?

Mushroom Pasta???? No, not really. But the stringiness reminds me of spaghetti. (No, I am not replacing pasta with mushrooms. There is room in my heart—and my belly—for both of these foods, thank you.)

Asian Market, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. On my most-recent trip, I got a big package of Enoki mushrooms for only $1.50!  I adore Enoki shrooms, but they’re so hard to find, and then when you do find ‘em, they can be pretty pricey.  Thank goodness for the Asian market.

Enoki mushrooms, meet Stir fry Salad.

enoki mushrooms

In today’s stir fry salad: cauliflower, snow peas, shiitake shrooms, red cabbage, broccoli, garlic, tamari, and those silly enoki mushrooms

enoki3

enoki

Above, mixed with spinach to become a true Stir Fry Salad.

Have you ever been to an ethnic market?

I could spend all day in an Asian market: the low prices, the exotic foods, the memory-inducing items (I grew up in Japan and China)… it all makes for quite the fun experience. I’ve just discovered that Indian markets are pretty cool too.  If you’ve been to one, what’s your favorite ethnic-market purchase?  Here’s a hint about mine: It starts with a K.

1. I have been meaning to find an Asian market in my new city. Those noodles look so yummy!!

2. jcd says:

Enoki mushrooms are so fun! Your Enoki stir fry salad looks delicious! And, it must have been so interesting to live in another part of the world growing up!

We have a giant Asian market in the big city nearest me. It’s HUGE. Honestly, I find the store a little intimidating, crowded, and the big tanks of live fish-soon-to-be-someone’s-dinner make me a little queasy. Thus, I don’t go there often.

However, when I do stop by, I like to pick up some exotic produce (blood oranges!) and browse the aisles. I am always amazed at how cheap everything is. I think I’ll have to go to there next month and get some red bean paste dessert buns, vegan oyster sauce, and tinned jackfruit.

What are some of your other favourite things at the Asian market?

3. glidingcalm says:

HEHE KATIE, you and I are cut from similar molds. Similar Asian molds that love ethnic food. You KNOW i am always hitting up the asian supermarket.

4. Cassie says:

i recently moved to an area with a ton of ethnic (esp. asian) markets and sadly, i’ve only been to one. it was pretty amazing and huge though! they had like 20 or 30 different kinds of dried dates!!! it was so amazing. i only bought one thing: blueberry-filled mochi…it was pretty yummy, but extremely sugary 😉

5. Jessica says:

Looks tasty! I’ve never had those mushrooms before, but I’ll check my ethnic grocery store for them. I’m lucky to have a few big ones here in St. Louis. Last time I went, I got some Indonesian tempeh!

I tried kobocha recently and thought it was pretty good, but butternut is still my #1 🙂

6. I love my Asian market. It’s called the Viet Hoa and it’s about two blocks from my house. I stock up on cheap vegan Ramen, Pearl River soy sauce (the best brand ever!), and cheap produce (this morning, I got three avocados for $1.99….yet I paid $1.99 for one avocado at Kroger a couple days ago!).

Indian markets are awesome too. That’s where I buy my beloved black salt.

7. What a colorful plate of food! I would love to feast on that for dinner right now. 🙂

8. Vegyogini says:

What a brilliant idea!

9. Great stir fry salad recipe! Have you ever tried the stir-fry over the greens while it is still warm?
    I have an awesome stir fry salad recipe that calls for the warm mushroom mixture to be added on top of the greens. It also has a warm dressing. But now that I think about it, my recipe would probably taste just as good cold… I’m going to try it!
    Thanks for sharing!
    – Brittany

10. Maria says:

Yeah, we are lucky enough to have many ethnic (Korean) markets close to our house, so we go at least once a week 🙂 I actually don’t eat mushrooms (usually), but I do love enoki for their spaghetti-like quality!

I like getting cheaper kabocha (hehe) and purple sweet potatoes! Oh, and seaweed, can’t forget that!

11. Bridget says:

I love Asian markets!! My favorite things to buy are matcha green tea, thai young coconuts, jaggery (at the indian store), mangoes and miso paste. I always thought I was the only young female who actually enjoyed browsing and shopping in these places. Glad to hear there are more of us!

12. Bridget says:

Oh and arame, nori, kombu and koji rice!

13. Katharina says:

I go to Ethnic and specialty markets a lot. You can find exotic produce without paying an arm and a leg, and the items are authentic. I also love exploring and seeing what sounds interesting and that = NEW THINGS TO TRY. Tip: Indian markets have bags of spices for incredible prices!!!

14. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) says:

Girl I lived not far from Chinatown in Chicago and have been no stranger to urban dwelling life both downtown Chicago and downtown San Diego for years. And have always loved the outdoor farmers markets and random ethnic markets. And you know you’ve found some good stuff when no one speaks english and you just wing it! 🙂

That said I’ve never tried kobocha. I know it’s a popular item among the bloggers…but I did make some roasted veggies last nite and thought of you 🙂 They havent hit the bloggie yet though.

15. Jessica says:

The purple color in the dish is so pretty. 🙂

16. Alison says:

Cool “pasta”. Almost enough to make me forget it’s mushrooms – I hate mushrooms.

17. Teresa says:

Ok, so I have a question- Did you cook the enoki mushrooms? Because they look uncooked. And if you did, how long do you cook them for? Thanks! Boy does that SF Salad look yummy!

I almost positive that your favorite ethnic market purchase is KABOCHA squash. I actually just bought a Kabocha at the farmer’s market and thought of you :). I know that some people think that they’re ugly, but to me they are just so cute and pretty!

I was shocked to find CHIA seeds at my Mexican market the other day. Who knew?

18. Jess says:

Sadly, I have never been to an ethnic market. Saddd! 🙁

Mmm, love mushrooms!
    <3 jess

19. Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) says:

Oh my goodness.. I heart mushrooms and those look delicious in every way!) As for your fav “K” purchase.. Im thinking a delightful little squash by the name of Kabocha. I actually cant wait til Saturday so I can pick one up at the farmers market. YUM 🙂

20. Melinda says:

I love going to international markets. Now when I shop if it’s not at the commissary it really is an international market to me, but really it’s just local. My sister and I could spend all day looking at ethnic foods.

Spaghetti squash is one of my faves to cook. It tastes good and you can kinda play with your food!