Big Men have Little…

…Dogs.

Don’t think I didn’t know where your minds were going! 😉

bman

When I’m out running in the mornings, I pass quite a few people walking their dogs. And I’ve noticed a pattern: Oddly enough, the women seem to favor larger dogs, while I encounter more men with little pups.  One day, I brought the subject up with my guy friends.

For future reference: SGFs = stupid guy friends 😉

CCK: Why is it that I always see men walking little dogs like Chihuahuas, while the women I pass have manly dogs, like Golden Retrievers?

SGFs: (Sounding all cocky, as SGFs often sound) Because poor, weakling women need protection from big dogs.

CCK: Hmmm, well I guess that means they’re not getting it from their men!

(Remind me why I’m friends with these guys again…)

Of course, my logic goes out the window when I look at my own dogs.  But what Henry and Molly lack in stature, they make up for in bravery.  The little puppies have no qualms about barking at dogs three times their size.  Who says you need a big dog for protection?

znyc 202

Above, Henry wrestles the Pillow Monster… I think the Pillow Monster is winning 😕

And Molly the television addict!

z 950

Question of the Day:

Is there a resemblance—be it one of physical traits or personality—between you and your pets?  (Anyone remember the opening scene from 101 Dalmations?)

Tags:

1. My husband hates little dogs, so if we ever got one, I’m pretty sure it’d be a big one!

2. I can’t get my dog interested in TV at all. I always thought it would be cute to watch him with that tilted head, questioning look, trying to figure out who his new TV friend was. But no, he won’t oblige. Hmm, I probably share the ‘not obliging’ trait with him 🙂

3. Pam says:

I love your blog and post….such crazy fun!

Enjoy!

4. Cecilia says:

They have little peeee …… ts???? HAH! ‘Don’t think I didn’t know where your minds were going!’ Katie!!! Nooty nooty little vegan you are :O

We currently have goldfishes in the tank. I don’t think I look like them though, do I? DO I?!! I look like a – FISH???

Sorry Katie, I’m high from all that sugar in ze fudge babies. Yeeehawwwwww.

U still there?

5. eaternotarunner says:

I have noticed the same thing! When I go running I see lots of big guys with little dogs 😀

6. Melinda says:

My dog loves TV, and she would sit in front of it all day if she could. We usually leave it on for her so she is not lonely when we are at work. I don’t think my pets resemble me, my dog is pretty hairy! But as far as personality, my cat talks just as much as I do and she is very independent just like me.

7. Melanie says:

Love your blog:). Sadly, Shelli and I share the fact that we are neurotic. I’m not sure if she already had the genetic propensity for this or if I royally screwed her up because we got her when she was only eight weeks old. She’s got anxiety issues. But, like me, she’s really goofy and silly, too.

8. erintakescontrol says:

Your SGFs must be brothers or cousins to my SGFs…

9. hotflashbang says:

My dog Lucy totally watches TV!! It’s bizarre… she will go sit directly in front of the TV and watch it. I can no longer watch animal planet because Lucy goes trippy!! Don’t ask me why but she seems to really enjoy Criminal Minds.. eh? I have some great pics of her licking the TV screen.. awwwwww she’s such a cutie! Oh! And guess what?? My dogs are BIG.. LOL two goldendoodles, one black girl named Lucy (the TV watcher) who’s 60lbs and a red male named Rusty (dough-dee-dough) who I call “big lummox” most of the time who’s about 75 heading towards 80lbs…

10. jcd says:

Our dog-human mix is pretty mixed, no real trend that I see. And my cats will stop and watch TV if they hear animal sounds. One of the cats really likes to watch Disney animation classics like Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid. He’s a strange one…

11. Chrysta says:

hahaha i love this post. I see this all the time around where I live. There is actually a guy that I see walking around my neighborhood a lot that has a tiny little chihuahua pup with a pink bow and a sparkly leash. Hes a big muscular guy so it just kind of makes me smile a bit when I see him=) To each his own though!! I have cats right now, but if I could choose any dog to have I would pick a big German Shepard or a husky of some kind.

12. Sarah A says:

When I took a self defense course, a lot of us commented on the very phenomenon of women with big dogs. Our instructor gave an intriguing answer. The fact that we knew how to defend ourselves wasn’t readily apparent to a would-be attacker, and men, in general, tend to be cocky about being stronger than us poor females. Men who would actually attack women unconsciously think of the situation as a cost/benefit analysis – meaning how hard they’d have to work to achieve what they’re after. A larger sized dog, from an attackers’ viewpoint, is a potential hurdle. It’s not so much the dog protecting its owner that stops them. Rather, the feeling of not being in complete control of the situation stops them. Male egos: all bark and no bite : )

13. JessicaR says:

It’s funny that you bring this up — my boyfriend always jokes that the only men who like big dogs are ones who are insecure 😉

My boyfriend, like me, loooooves little dogs. Yorkies and chihuahuas are our favorite. We hope to eventually get a chorkie (yorkie/chihuahua mix). 🙂

14. lexi. says:

interesting observation! I don’t know if I really look like my dog or not. my mom always tells me I do!

15. kbwood says:

LOL you crack me up!

16. Molly watching the kitty on TV is so cute! My boyfriend’s mom’s dogs love watching Animal Planet too…they bark when they see other dogs on TV. My Datsun isn’t at all interested in TV, but he does bark every time he hears the “ding” sound on Wheel of Fortune.

17. Quix says:

Ummm, yum. We’re celebrating thanksgiving with a fairly traditional dinner (being cooked by my friend’s mom, a professional chef), and then traditional board/card games into the night.

Your dog watching TV is so cute! We have two lizards, and one stays under the sand most of the time, but will poke his head out and watch TV if we are watching sci-fi. He likes the rumble of the spaceships, we think. 🙂

18. Kate says:

Funny, whenever I see a man walking a tiny dog I assume it is under duress and that the dog belongs to a wife or girlfriend…totally sexist of me, I know.

Pumpkin pie babies look scrummy! Will have to try!

19. sisrocks1996 says:

My pup is me slightly neurotic with short dog syndrome 😉 LOL And very very busy minded. And stubborn and smart 😉

And yes i’ve noticed the same thing maybe they are just secure in their masculinity, but it looks odd I think 😉

And I do want a big dog for protection. I would feel better running w/ one!