Like Eating a Bowl of Whipped Cream

Remember 5-Minute Chocolate Mousse?
It now has a baby sister.

vanilla2

And just as decadent is the paler sister of  5-Minute Chocolate Mousse.

This stuff is a-mazing!

Seriously, it’s like eating an entire bowl of whipped cream! And although I’ve never had Greek Yogurt, I’m thinking that Vanilla Cream Mousse would make for a good vegan Greek yogurt stand-in. (Has anyone ever had vegan Greek yogurt? Do they even make vegan Greek yogurt?)

vegan greek yogurt

Vanilla Cream Mousse

(A.k.a. “whipped cream in a bowl” or “Vegan Greek Yogurt”)
(Makes 1 generous serving)

• 190grams morinu silken-firm tofu (a little over 1/2 a package)
  • up to 1/3ish cup liquid, or a bit more or less, depending on how thick you want it.  The first time you make it, start off with less; you can always add more (I use 20g of Whole Foods’ unsweetened ricemilk and 85g water)
  • optional: a few drops of vanilla extract (I skip this because my ricemilk has a vanilla flavor)
  • sweetener (sugar, stevia, agave, whatever) to taste (or omit for a Vegan Greek Yogurt result)
  • Optional: If you want true “yogurt” you can use Meg’s probiotic trick.

Put all the ingredients in your blending contraption (I use the Magic Bullet) and give it a whirl.  Then take a whipped-cream bath in the luscious bowl of vanilla goodness.  (I like to put the bowl in the freezer for 20-30 minutes prior to eating so it’s super-cold, but not long enough for it to get icy.)

**For the Soy-Free Version:
For a soy-free bowl of cream, see: Soy-Free Vegan Cream

z 777

Good on its own, the mousse is also insanely delicious in the following ways:

1. Mixed into hot cereal  (or poured over cold cereal instead of milk)

znyc 583

2. With fruit, like Pom!Or blend fruit in, or throw in Raw S’mores Fudge!!

z 596

3. As a side dish with Butter(nut) Me Up squash fries

So even if you don’t do soy or dairy, you don’t have to be left out on the whipped-cream fun.  And oh, what fun it is! When we were little, my mom would squirt whipped cream onto our outstretched fingers and we’d call it “worms.”  No idea why we found that appetizing…

Tags: ,

1. Meg says:

Mmm carrot cake mousse?! Yes, please! :)

I love to eat whipped cream right from the canister 😉 haha but if that’s not appropriate for my situation, then on top of a slice of pie 😛

Oh hey, whipped cream worms sounds totally appetizing to me…not gonna lie, whipped cream is whipped cream, no matter what shape or animal form 😉

Love ya!!

2. JCD says:

Oh, this looks delicious!

We aren’t too big into anything with whipped cream or it’s faux alternatives. The only thing I really liked it on as a kid was crêpes: strawberries with cream (and sometimes chocolate sauce) rolled up and devoured. Mmm… I think that’s still the only way I will eat anything resembling whipped cream. Maybe I will have to try your mousse in some crêpes this weekend.

3. OHmigosh it sounds SO good! And I’ve never even had tofu! I love eating it by itself…or on cheesecake or pie. :) Or pancakes.

4. Katie says:

Oh my goodness, I can’t even WAIT to try this. I’m going to put tofu on my grocery list RIGHT now.

I used to squirt the whip cream straight into my mouth. Now, I like it in the summertime when it’s frozen or I always enjoy it on a nice piece of chocolate cake 😉

5. Madeline says:

The “whipped topping” used at the restaurant where I work is dangerously good. It also contains no natural ingredients!!! It can’t even be called whipped cream, lol.

But in another dark v. light arena, can you check out my post today? I’m trying to decide if I want to go back to being more blonde, or dye my hair darker again, and I’ve put up photos of both. My boyfriend is no help, and I need objective advice. Thanks!

6. lexi. says:

Looks amazing! I love DCD!

Fav. way to eat whipped cream: on top of pumpkin pie!

7. eaternotarunner says:

I like whipped cream with strawberries for sure!

8. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

i was definitely a whipped cream can directly squirted into mouth kinda kid. hey, i remembered to do vegan thursday yesterday! and i felt like i was channeling you with my eats all day lol

9. Tina says:

I love whip cream atop things. I don’t really have it anymore for some reason, but I remember when I was little it was fun to have on top of french toast. Yum.

Your recipes are always so creative and yummy looking. One of these days I promise to try one!

10. Yum! I bet that would be delicious in place of milk with cereal. I love the mixture of creamy and crunchy.

As for whipped cream, I love soy whip with strawberry shortcakes and as topping for chocolate waffles!

11. Melinda says:

I hate to say this…but I hate whipped cream. I do, I always ask for my desserts with no whipped or get it on the side for someone else to eat. Sometimes my husband wants his own dessert because I don’t want the shipped cream anywhere near it. I know, I’m weird.

12. Katie says:

I’ve actually made this with your agar pudding base! It’s really good, even on its own. If you don’t thin it as much it is like vanilla pudding. My belly is growling….

13. Madeline says:

P.S. sorry I’m commenting twice, but I wanted to let you know that I’m doing a haircare giveaway for someone that leaves a comment about whether I should dye my hair lighter or darker again. I hope you can stop by and check it out!

xoxo

14. There is nothing like whipped cream on chocolate mousse or pudding, and I love it on hot chocolate!

Those fries look amazing Katie. I want them!!!!

15. Haylee says:

hmmm I would say usually no whipped cream, but when I have anything key-lime a little on it makes it SO yummy!

16. Chrysta says:

sssso good girl! Awesome snack! This is one of my favorite things to eat ever. I haven’t made an all vanilla flavor yet though, so I cant wait to try this out. I usually just make a PB one. It does sound like it would be amazing with squash fries. All my favorite foods in one meal. Perfect! Thanks so much for this awesome recipe. I love all the variations that you have to! I kinda just like eating whipped cream plain..haha. But on top of those oatmeal cookie crepes would be delicious..Have a great day!

17. Jessica says:

Mmmm…yet another amazing creation from Katie’s kitchen! I could totally get down with eating a bowl of “whipped cream”, hehe! I used to squirt it directly from the container into my mouth, swallow, and repeat like 20 times. — sometimes I still do when I buy Soyatoo!! 😉

18. Daria @ Daria Can Cook says:

I’ve never been too excited about whipped cream, but my brothers used to eat bowls of cool whip like it was ice cream. I thought they were nuts. :)

19. Yeaaahtoast says:

My favorite thing to put whipped cream on was sliced kiwi. Tart tang of the kiwi and soothing creamy of the whipped cream. DELISH!

20. anonymous says:

Can you make this with something besides the tofu, do you think? I’m trying to stay away from soy. Thanks!