“Fudge You!” High-Protein Chocolate Cake

High protein chocolate cake

Above and below, covered in Vegan Whipped Cream.

vegan Greek yogurt and high protein chocolate cake

Possible problems with making a whole pan of brownies: After only a few days, they get hard and crumbly (especially the end pieces). If you live alone, it’s hard to finish a whole pan by yourself before they go stale. If you’re my mom, you disagree with the above… which presents a different problem: you might want to eat the whole pan by yourself!

Solution: Make brownies for one!

The following recipe makes 1 to 3 big servings (I usually eat it in two), stays super-moist for at least a few days if kept in the fridge, and it even offers a healthy amount of protein and vitamins.

“Fudge You!” Chocolate Protein Cake

(or make brownies or even cupcakes!)

• 1/4 cup (48 grams) chocolate protein powder (I used NutriBiotic. Spirutein did NOT work)
  • 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup (up to 50-ish grams) canned pumpkin (I like 60g, but it will be much less firm with that much. Moist, but not firm)
  • 1 and 1/4 tsp ener-g egg replacer (or 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax)
  • Level 1/8 tsp salt
  • sweetener (I like bitter chocolate, even in cake form, so I use less. But for most people’s tastes, I’d recommend at least 4 tsp sugar or 1 tsp stevia
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • up to 1/2 cup (120g) water (or other liquid)

I also add cinnamon and sometimes a few drops of extracts.  You can add chocolate chips, coconut, nuts… Procedure: Preheat oven to 390*F.  Combine dry ingredients (including pumpkin).  Add water and stir. Pour batter into a mini-loaf pan and cook for 30 minutes.  (It’s important to put it in the oven as soon as you add the liquid, because the “egg” starts to work right away.)  Open the oven and leave in ten more minutes (with the heat turned off and the door open).

high protein chocolate cake and vegan Greek yogurt

If you put Ricemallow Cream or something similar in the middle, you can have a vegan Ho Ho! (Or a Hostess-style “CupCake”)

Question of the Day:

What’s your favorite unhealthy food? Or, what’s something you’d like to see health-i-fied?  It can be sweet or savory.

Tags: , , , ,

1. VeggieGirl says:

Fun question/request! :)

PLEASE make a gluten-free/soy-free version of Peanut Butter M&M’s.

2. Beth says:

My favorite unhealthy food is a tie between french fries and pizza…… =)

3. Diana says:

That looks amazing. :) Yum.

4. Kate says:

Chocolate mousse! I would love to see you do a healthy version, without avocado: blech!

5. Aimee says:

You’ve already done mine: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough! I used to eat it straight out of the package (the Pillsbury one). But now, thanks to your brilliance, I just make a big thing of “chocolate chip cookie dough babies” and eat that dough instead! Much healthier!!! And surprisingly just as tasty :).

6. homecookecem says:

That looks awesome!! I want to try it!! Thanks!! :)

7. Valerie says:

@ Kate,
    Katie’s actually already done a healthier vegan chocolate mousse, and I’ve tried it: it is AMAZING! Here’s the link for you. I highly recommend it. My kids do too!

8. hahahah I must disagree, it is NOT hard for me to finish an entire pan of brownies before they go stale!!! 😉

1. Jess,
      heehee you’re like my mom. She can eat a pan in a day! No joke, I think she has before :).

9. YUM! We do healthified pizza here with unlimited toppings! I love making unhealthy food healthy! It’s fun to get away with eating bad food with no guilt!

10. Valerie says:

Oh, and my favorite unhealthy food would probably have to be anything fried. Or chips. Can’t be trusted around them!

11. Hmm.. I might have to think about this one…
    Bread pudding? Rice pudding? Hard candies?

12. Mary says:

Haha you’ve done ho hos, now what about twinkies? Not that anyone actually loves those things, do they? I mean, I’ve never heard anyone say it’s their favorite food…

13. Sarahishealthy says:

Please make a healthier version of any Fast Food restaurant thick shake! :)

14. vegangal says:

those brownies or cake looks so good and yummy i would eat the whole pan if i make them. love this recipe girl so good! xoxoxo

15. I’m SO excited to try this! You have pumpkin listed in the ingredients list twice – is there supposed to be 1/2 cup total? And do you know how many eggs the ener-g egg replacer is equivalent too? (I usually use flaxmeal or cornstarch + water as egg substitutes).

My favorite unhealthy food is actually brownies, so this is perfect! I also love almost any kind of cookies. I can pass up salty or fried snacks.

1. Kady, Whoops! Thank you so much for letting me know! I definitely didn’t mean to have it in there twice. Only 1/4 cup total.

Hmmm, I think it says on the ener-g box that 1 and 1/2 tsp is equal to one egg. Lemme go check. *runs away*

Yup!! 1 and 1/2 tsp is equal to an egg. So basically it’s one egg.

16. Jess says:

My favorite unhealthy food would have to be an ice cream sundae. But not just any ice cream sundae, one with that hard chocolate topping, “Magic Shell”. I used to get them at Dairy Queen all the time. Soft serve vanilla with a hard chocolate shell. If you could recreate healthy magic shell, you’d be my hero! :)

17. Scott in Ohio says:

Katie this is genius!

Can’t wait to try it!

18. Jess,
    Oh my gosh, I used to get those cones too!!! After softball, we’d always go to Dairy Queen. Except I’d get Butterscotch dipped, which drove my sister nuts, because she thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. But then again, she got cherry dipped. Ewww :)
    I love the idea of healthy Magic Shell! I’ll have to think about this one!

19. Dan213 says:

You know what you could use for liquid? 😉

20. Dan213 says:

I don’t have any favorite unhealthy foods. I only like beer.