Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Day Trip to NYC

One Lucky Duck Two Lucky Girls

The other day, I took a quick trip to NYC to meet with Jessica, a real-life friend. Jess and her family just so happened to be in the city this week, and I was so close that I couldn’t not meet up with her. We decided to try “One Lucky Duck” for some snackage.

As soon as I saw the coconut pudding, I recalled a certain Raw Coconut Crème Pie, also from NYC.

one lucky duck dessert

Obviously I love chocolate above all else. But I can make chocolate confections at home. So I went with pudding for my One Lucky Duck dessert. It was good, but it didn’t hold a candle (cafe) to the Coconut Crème Pie.

Jessica decided on a chocolate-covered purchase:

one lucky duck mallomar

On the right, Jessica’s One Lucky Duck Mallomar. And the Sachertorte she brought to take to her sister is on the left. I thought the mallomar filling was too sweet. (Jess let me try.) But Jessica devoured it, so I guess she liked it! Neither of us liked the high prices. But hey, when are raw desserts ever cheap?

1. Beth says:

Favorite place in the world? Now that is a tough one because I haven’t been to so many that I’m dying to explore! Of the places I’ve been, Vieques Island off the coast of Puerto Rico was pretty amazing as well as, of course, Paris. I’m dying to go to Turkey, Thailand, and South Africa though!

2. Ilana says:

The Museum of Natural History is my faaaaaaaaaaaavorite museum!!
    My favorite place in the world is OBVIOUSLYYY New York! Nothing like it!

3. Is that not the most difficult question, EVER!? Favorite place in the world, gosh Katie . . . 😉

It’s either Venice or Maui for me. They both have the water, which I’m addicted too. I love the mystery of Venice, how you can run through all of the nooks and crannies of the ally ways. Plus, this food is . . . no words.

On Maui, the atmosphere is SO happy! Everyone is there to relax and enjoy, so the people are great. The food there is also pretty divine. :) My favorite restaurant, Spago, has a location there. 😀

I’m going to NYC soon! I’ll be stealing ideas off your comments on that other post.

4. Hmm.. I’m not sure my favorite place in the world- I don’t think I’ve been there yet. :)

5. Jess says:

Looks so yummy!! Chocolate should never, ever go extinct.
    <3 jess

6. Leslie says:

Like you, my favorite places are Italy and NYC

7. McKella says:

Probably the mountains where I always camped growing up. I love visiting big cities like New York, but I’ll always prefer nature.

8. katie says:

nyc!!! u were so close to me! so happy to hear u had a nice day:-) u are one lucky duck! ha get it. o god im corny! anyways……….maybe we can hit up natural history museum!!! havent been there in forever! one of my fav places! soo many ideas lol
    ps favorite place is disney world!! lol or colonial williamsburg on the 4th of july….dont laugh!

9. I wish I lived close enough to NYC to make Day trips :)

My favorite place in the world? In my man’s arm … Aaaaaaaaaaw cheeeesy! *With an Ice Cream bowl, the size of my head, of course!*

1. Marilou,
      Loved your cheesy answer!! (Especially the ice cream part hehe)

10. Becca says:

Ack – another Walt Disney World one here! Yeah, I’m five, really. I love exploring new places, and I think travel is so important, but nothing sets my butterflies jumping quite like there!

11. todayslady says:

So far my favorite place in the world is London <3 But I plan on traveling a lot after I'm done school so it may change!

12. Love all the treats in this post. :) I plan on making your Chocolate-Raspberry Ice Cream tonight, do you think it would work in a food processor?

1. Little Bookworm,
      LOL you beat me to it! You’re lightening fast ;).

13. those chocolate covered purchases look too good to be true!

14. Renée says:

London! I feel more at home there than anywhere else.
    I’m going in November for my birthday and I’m so excited 😀

I love NYC also. I usually go once or twice a year, but I haven’t been there in a while.

15. Becca says:

I’m so surprised to see so many London fans! I moved away in March and honestly I wouldn’t mind if I never went back again… I guess it’s one of those “great to visit; sucks to live there” kind of places.

1. Becca,
      LOL I loved London… but I haven’t been since I was 5, so I guess my opinion is kinda skewed :).

16. Mandiee says:

When are you going to NYC again? I’m going later this summer, too, and I’d love to meet up at one of your favorite vegan spots, if possible. If not, at least some good recommendations of where to go would be awesome :D. And no chocolate?! Oh, the horror!

Have a lovely day!

17. Christina says:

I love England in every way, shape, and form, but after my last visit I realized that the most homely (and therefore best!) place in the world is my mom’s house :)

18. If I ever make it to One Lucky Duck, that mallomar is soooo on my list of must-haves. I don’t believe in “too sweet.” :-)

19. Favorite place?? Oh dear…well, this might sound totally cheesy but anywhere as long as my family is right there with me. We honestly have the most amazing time together. Whether its having a BBQ on our dock or traveling through Europe, there is always excitement, fun, love, and laughter!

20. Paris and then New York. I am not sure if my romance with NY is fleeting though. I think I would like the fast pace for a little while, but then need to head to Paris to slow down. Maybe in another life, I could afford to go back and forth!

21. foodiefresh says:

I love NY and Seattle, but I think somewhere in Italy will be my new favorite place after my honeymoon in August. :)

22. lola says:

ooh those desserts look amazing! i want to try one lucky duck but it is too expensive for me for now =(
    my favorite places in new york are central park, chinatown, and the lower east side. although there are still too many places i haven’t been yet.
    favorite place in the world is of course my hometown, san francisco.

23. Justine says:

Montreal is my favorite place to go (so far!) There is almost nothing missing from that city. Going is always so bittersweet (see the chocolate reference there?) because when I get there, the fact that I have to leave looms in the back of my mind.

I’ve been wanting to visit NYC for a few years now, it’s a little intimidating still.

24. Marina says:

I haven’t traveled that much, so I don’t have a favorite place yet.
    well, except for my bf’s arms, naturally :)

25. I think going into the dessert business would be pretty awesome. You get to make delicious eats all day and play with those foods by decorating them..and then you get to sell them for ridiculously high prices! 😀 Why would anybody NOT do it?! lmho 😉 My favorite place in the world is a tie between NYC, San Francisco, and Hawai’i. But I really want to go to Egypt and ride a camel..I think that would take the cake 😛

26. holy container of chocolatey YUM lol. that looks incredibly decadent 😛

mmm raw puddin’ and stews <3 even together they sound fabulous haha

favorite place in the world… under the covers in my bed lol.

27. I love traveling, but my favorite place in the world? That’s a hard one. A one of my favorite places is Italy; soooo beautiful and people are always zipping along. It has such awesome, historical places like the Leaning Tower of Piza, the Colosseum, and Pompei.

For a more relaxing location, I really love Costa Rica. I could easily go back to Drake Bay over and over again. It’s pretty remote, utterly tropical, and fantastically wild. All the animals look like they’re straight out of a Disney movie. We snorkeled and saw sharks and a sea turtle came so close we could have touched it. Falling asleep to waves crashing on the shore outside our door was heavenly and romping around with local pups made it feel like it wasn’t even so far from home.

The big question is, where to next? :)

28. Marianne says:

That is a tough question, because there is no place that has everything I want in the world right there. Plus I haven’t explored all the corners of the world, so I don’t have all the necessary information to make a decision :)

29. Tess says:

Hey girl, fellow Texan here! I’ve been up here going to NYU though and I’ve got to recommend a ridiculously fantastic raw foods restaurant. It’s called Rockin’ Raw and if you’re down for a short adventure it’s on the first train stop in Brooklyn! You’ve gotta check it out – the chefs prepare the dishes as a fusion of Peruvian and New Orleanian tastes – and it’s got an outdoor garden.

Also – best vegan bakery in NY is Babycakes!

Have a blast!

1. Tess,
      Ohmigosh, checking it out right now!!

30. Raw desserts are quite pricey, and as much I’ve always wanted to go to One Lucky Duck, I think I’d be just as happy at home with some fudge babies. :)

31. lisa says:

i am just writing to tell you that YOU ARE A GENIOUS! (sorry if “genious” is spelled wrong hahaha).
    I tried your “banana butter” and OMG SO GOOD! 4 tbsp pb + onoe soft banana. I literally could have eaten the whole thing as is.
    any reccommendations with flavors? I was thinking maybe added cocoa powder, or maple syrup. please leave a post on my website if you have any suggestions for me! :)!!!

32. caronae says:

Oh Souen is so good! It helped me fall in love with macrobiotic foods. Yum! MY favorite place in the world — there are several. Here in NY, probably Riverside Park. In MI, it’s a camp in the northern part of the state, and in Ottawa, it is my aunt’s house. Random, but they are all tremendously meaningful to me.

33. Katie,

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love your blog! I have been on it for about an hour now, and it is fantastic. I too have gotten scrutinized for having a low body weight, and I am glad to see that I am not alone. I will be trying your banana butter and chocolate butter recipes soon!

My favorite place in the world would have to be Greece. I have never gone, but after being obsessed with Sisterhood of Traveling Pants 2 and Mama Mia a few summers ago, I have always wanted to go! Hah, kinda immature reasoning, but their food looks good too!

1. Kaitlin,
      Wow thank you SO MUCH for leaving me such a sweet comment! I can’t even tell you how much it made me smile!! :)
      And I completely understand your reasoning: I wanted to go to Greece after seeing Sisterhood too!

34. Gloria says:

I went to One Lucky Duck for lunch last week when I was visiting NYC too and couldn’t believe the prices! The cabbage salad was thankfully huge and well worth the money, but everything else was tiny and so expensive. I was torn between the mallomar and tiramisu but I don’t have a sweet tooth either so I’m glad I went with the tiramisu!

NYC is one of my favorite places in the world too. I just love waking up at sunrise and walking around exploring for hours :)

35. Rachael says:

Aww, sometimes I miss NYC. I’m a native New Yorker, but I’ve been away for about seven years now, and whenever I read about it or see pictures, I get little pangs of nostalgia.
    Favorite place in the world? It’s a toss up between Malawi at dusk (baobab trees standing strong in lilac light as the last bit of gold sun disappears into the hills) and the redwoods of Northern California. I used to spend many an hour lying on the moss underneath them, listening to the sounds of trees moving with the wind. Or the desert in Utah – miles and miles of red rippling earth. I’m a sucker for good places :)

36. mapledreams says:

My favourite place in the world is London! I’m forever there! Those chocolate desserts look so good! x

37. Raw desserts are fun to try, aren’t they? I probably would’ve gone with something chocolate like your friend Jess, and I’m definitely intrigued by the raw mallomar!

1. Jessica,
      I love how they can create a raw version of ANYthing these days! I just got a raw cookbook and have been meaning to make carrot cake. And then there’s that strawberry pie of yours I really want to try when I get home!

38. Lisa,
    Aww thanks a TON for such a compliment!!! And as for flavor ideas, try coconut butter!! Or chocolate peanut butter.
    If you find a really good flavor idea, definitely tell me about it! :)

39. Danielle says:

I didn’t really care about getting back to NYC until I went vegan… now I can’t wait to go on a culinary adventure there with my husband! I will definitely revisit your posts when the opportunity arises. :)

40. the natural history museum was super awesome, i was there :) and one lucky duck is one EPIC duck. ive actually got a giveaway going on right now on my blog for a one lucky duck giftcard!! 😀

41. My favorite place in the world is my home! 😉