Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The “Carob-Covered” Katie?

No, don’t worry. I’ll never, ever abandon my chocolate!

Remember the review of my vegan dinner at Angelica Kitchen?

Remember how I told you it would’ve been sacrilegious to leave such a delish restaurant without ordering a to-go dessert? Well, say hello to my chosen dessert:

Sadly, it looks better than it tasted. And actually, the carob wasn’t to blame. I liked the carob chips! The cheesecake part, on the other hand, was just okay and not cheese-y at all.  I ended up not eating much of it. Oh well; not everything can be a winner.

1. Marilou says:

There’s a mountain of brownies with ice cream and hot caramel sauce that haunts my dreams since the day I ate there.

2. Hmm…best dessert was apricot mush stuffed dates at a Moroccan restaurant. They were out of this world (and I don’t even like apricots :p)! I don’t really have a worst though, I love all desserts 😀

3. Jenny says:

This post may contain my best and worst desserts. I wasn’t overboard about the babycakes cupcakes, but the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bliss at Candle 79 was amaaaazing.

4. I am a total sucker for Chili´s molten lava chocolate cake.

5. Meg says:

Mmmm I love dessert 😉 I’m definitely a sucker for blondies, and my Dad’s homemade pies – especially lemon meringue…drool.

6. Danielle says:

Aw that’s such a disappointment! :( The worst dessert I’ve ever gotten from a restaurant was a vegan lemon cupcake…and it was superrrr dry and crumbly and the icing had chunks of stuff in it (lemon probably…) Just for the record- icing should *never* have chunks in it!

7. Jennifer - jcd says:

The best dessert I got from a restaurant would be a chocolate mousse sundae from the wonderful chef on our Disney Cruise. It was this fluffy whipped pudding with dark chocolate drizzle, chocolate sprinkles and strawberry puree with more chopped strawberries on top. I couldn’t eat much because it was sweet, but the fact that it was vegan and made just for my husband and I (and a girl at our table with egg and dairy allergies) was incredible.

Worst dessert? I had some sort of gluten-free vegan respberry blondie once. It was crumbly and dry and tasted like dirt. The only good part were the the bits of raspberries and chocolate on top. My tastebuds are wincing at the memory. Ick.

1. That sounds amazing… and so sweet! I never knew Disney was so vegan-friendly!

8. Run Sarah says:

I’ve never tried vegan cheesecake – yours and Angelicas both look delicious!

9. I’ve never tried vegan cheesecake, but it looks pretty good! I might have to give it a try :)

10. Ilana says:

I hate when you order a cake that sounds/looks great but it’s just sub-par! I once remember CRAVING this chocolate layer cake every time i saw it but when I finally got it, the cake was dry. I just ate the icing- I mean, no loss there hehe.

11. Kiersten says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere that actually carried vegan desserts…except when I was in Disney. Some of the restaurants had tofutti ice cream.

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

They have Divvies vegan cookies at Walt Disney World too! (Sadly, there is no vegan ice cream or cookies at Disneyland in California.)

12. Honestly, I can’t say that I’ve had a bad dessert from a restaurant. But then again, I’ve rarely had the opportunity to order dessert in a restaurant. Both of the cheesecakes (yours and Angelica’s) look delicious to me! As long as its sweet, I’m pretty forgiving with the taste. :-)

13. Rachel Lauren says:

Katie, if you ever go to Angelica Kitchen again(or are in NYC next), next time walk up the street after dinner and hit up Lula’s Sweet Apothecary. You will not be sorry! Totally vegan Ice Cream parlour! And its so freakin cute inside. I liked Angelica, but I definitely ordered wrong when I ate there.

1. Wha???? I thought Lula’s was in Brooklyn!! I didn’t even bother to look it up! How much am I kicking myself now? Ack, I guess I have a good excuse to go back to NYC. Thanks for telling me this!

14. Ahhh thats too bad! I always hate it when things look so pretty but taste really gross-kinda like frozen food pictures.

But Omg when I ate sugar, my favorite dessert was at a country club buffet-molten chocolate something or other. I dont know exactly what it was, but it was kind of cakey on the outside, but gooey and fudgey on the inside—heaven!!!

15. Laura says:

I think home made desserts are so much better than restaurant made ones…espescially my grandma’s apple pie! xx

16. I have a question, not at all related to this post. Do you take any supplements/vitamins? I was just reading over at that vegans, based on a recent study, don’t do a good job of getting their B12. I’ve never been big on vitamins, but this is making me pause. It would be interesting to have a blog post about vitamins and veganism and your perspective.

17. Diana says:

Hi Katie, I just found your blog today and I’ve read it backwards for a couple months back! I love your positive yet honest attitude, and your posts are very entertaining but informative. :)

I think the best dessert I’ve ever had is black sesame creme brulee from Cha-An Teahouse in NYC. SOO GOOD! Worst would probably be a rice pudding I tried from… I don’t even remember the place’s name… ahaha

1. Aw Diana, thank you so much for the sweet compliment. I’m so glad you found me! :)

18. I’ve only gotten two dessert from a restaurant (crazy..I know) and the worst one was this weird custard my mom and I shared at some Chinese place. It was absolutely tasteless and had a horrible texture. So that leaves the best as the peppermint ice cream sundae with brownie bits Michael and I split last time we saw each other. I’m sure that one may be topped in the future..but it’d be pretty hard to get a worse one than that custard mess.

19. Rachael says:

My favorite dessert ever happens to be served in a hometown restaurant, the Laughing Seed in Asheville, NC. Usually, they make a chocolate peanut butter pie with a spelt nut crust, but one night, it morphed into chocolate almond butter pie. Crunchy, not too sweet and amazing.
    Mexican chocolate flourless torte also makes me a very happy girl.

20. Kelly says:

Thanks for your sweet comment on my sundae post! <3

Aw, what a shame that your carob cheesecake wasn't up to par. It's always disappointing when restaurant food underwhelms, but especially when it's dessert!

21. I don’t normally order dessert, but I recently ordered a brownie with ice cream and real whip cream at Seegars Restaurant in Sandestin, FL and it was fantastic!!!

What a disappointment on the cheesecake! Did you at least eat the carob chips off of it? That would have made me sad that it didn’t taste good when it looked scrumptious! 😉

1. Definitely! And I was surprised at how much I liked them. (But nowhere near as much as I like chocolate, of course ;).)

22. oh goodness! that looks to LIVE for!
    i just blogged about it actually, but when i was in boston’s chinatown last week i went to an all vegan thai cafe and just HAD to get a piece of chocolate cake to take back to the hotel.
    best. decision. ever.
    i wish i could live in boston just for that cake!! oh yeah…and the pad thai 😉

1. Ooh what was the name of the cafe? I want to go! :)

1. Oops, just saw your post. Never mind ;).

23. ecogrrl says:

girl we must be on the same page! i had my favorite dessert last night – photos at

24. BroccoliHut says:

I still have dreams about the coconut sorbet I had at Restaurant Nora in DC.

25. Sorry about your cheesecake. I don’t get it when we don’t even own a restaurant yet can make better desserts then them. Wuteva!!!

1. Honestly! It’s a big reason I don’t often like to eat out; I keep thinking–as I’m eating a chef-prepared meal: “I could make this better…”

26. Choosing a favorite dessert is like picking a favorite child. They are all special in their own way. Sigh…

My favorite restaurant dessert is probably The Cookie Monster at a restaurant that I’d go to with my family growing up. It was basically a fresh baked cookie topped with ice cream and sauce. It’s good, but mostly I like the memories of sharing it with my family.