Soy-Free Vegan Yogurt

No, I don’t eschew all soy. I believe that all most foods in moderation are perfectly fine. But that’s exactly the point: moderation. The problem with soy is that these days it’s in everything, from beverages to vitamins to Fritos! And unlike the Japanese, who have been reaping the health benefits of soy foods for hundreds of years, we Americans often eat the bean in a processed state.

For more on my thoughts about soy, see the “Soy and Processed Foods” Debate post.

(Side note: If anyone ever says to you, “Ewwwww you’re drinking soymilk?! And you actually like tofu?” you can counter with, “Eaten any potato chips lately? What kinda oil do ya reckon is in those? ;)) So although I don’t believe it’s necessary to cut out all soy from one’s diet (and I do believe that some soy is beneficial in a healthy diet), I also limit the amount I consume. For today’s snack, I went with a just-as-tasty alternative: soy-free Vegan yogurt.

Vegan Greek Yogurt

Above and below, homemade soy-free vegan yogurt

Soy free Vegan Greek Yogurt

Today’s yogurt-licious flavor was peach soy-free vegan yogurt.

I made a huge serving and ate it all; twas delish!

I blended it all together at the same time. But if you want a chunky peach yogurt, you can blend, then add the peaches and quickly re-blend.

What are your beliefs about soy?

Do you make an effort to include some soy in your diet for its health benefits? Or do you limit your soy consumption? Abstain completely? Or perhaps you’re completely overwhelmed at all the conflicting claims, and you don’t know what to think: soy is good! soy is bad! eat more soy! don’t eat soy! I think it’s a good idea (obviously I’m not a medical doctor) to include some soy in your diet (mostly in an unprocessed form), but not to go overboard. Variety is the key!

P.S. I know you’re wondering: I didn’t eat the flowers ;).

I did devour the delicious raw Hot Chocolate bar on the side, though.

Tags: ,

1. I’m not too scared of soy anymore – I went through a phase of being totally freaked, but now I figure I eat minimal processed soy (like, very rarely!), and the soy I do have is all organic, non GMO stuff..so I’m not gonna have kittens over it. Plus, I don’t drink, smoke, I exercise, I’m fit, healthy, I eat a varied fab diet..I can cope with some soy!

2. Justine says:

I think I’m with the latter group. I know there is some soy in one specific product that I consume but I avoid it for the most part. I guess I figure that if I’m not going to have an actual serving of spy then I should avoid the processed stuff.

3. todayslady says:

I rarely have soy. I like it but its so hard to digest! I mainly stay away from it because of digestive issues but the whole controversy over it also gives me reason to limit my consumption. I loooooove edamame though 🙂

4. Jennifer - jcd says:

We drink soy beverage at breakfast quite a bit. Habit, I guess. We switch it up wth almond milk or pecan milk once ina while. I share the same soy beliefs at CCK – it’s good in moderation, and best in the least processed form. We eat processed foods (except soy beverage) very rarely in our house, and when we do they uaually have whole food ingredients like black bean burgers (from a local place) and Smooze ice pops. No modified soybean oil or glucose/fructose (corn syrup) in our house.

As for other forms of soy, edamame and tofu make an appearance occasionally but we prefer beans and lentils and vegetables. It’s not because we shun soy, it’s more because we like other foods more. Let thy tummy guide you…

5. Katie, I while I was in Tibet I learned some things about food that rocked my world. The big ones are that: CANOLA OIL, agave nectar, raw cashews, and all soy products are very harmful to our bodies! I was on the trip with an author of an Eastern medicine book, his name is Daniel Reid. He said the onlyyy soy that is okay to eat is straight up bean curd. No processing. And that is quite hard to find!

Also… while I was in Tibet, I did eat the flowers. 😉

1. QueenofFitness says:

hmmm…just out of curioustiy…what is the reason that mr. reid believes these things are hamful?

6. Britta says:

All looks fabulous. I have heard from a very advanced yogi friend of mine that soy is not so hot for you. Also, if you are a vatta (as I am) ayurveda recommends to avoid it, as it is too drying to the system.

7. vegetalion says:

I generally get around 3 or 4 servings or less of soy per week. I use soymilk in cooking/baking because I like the texture better than ricemilk and the other kinds of milk are hard to find organic, but I don’t really drink it… and we maybe have tofu 2 times a week, maybe tempeh once a week. I always get annoyed with the zealots on either side, though–I know someone who makes sure to have at least one serving of soy every day, and I know people who won’t touch tofu or soymilk for fear of the many “dangers” of soy–both seem extreme to me.

8. I JUST had the “soy conversation” with my nutritionist last week!

Honestly, I eat soy. I eat probably an 80% vegan diet, so I find that it’s a great source of protein and a very healthy food. Soy in some forms, however, is not healthy. My soy “rules” and I use that term loosely because I do break them from time to time!)

1. I do make sure my soy is organic and free of GMOs.
    2. I mostly stick to soy in it’s least processed forms (soybeans, tempeh, and tofu)
    3. I try not to rely on soy as my only source of protein. It’s important to mix it up!

9. I eat soy … lots of it and I make no attempt to limit it in any way. I know its in loads of processed foods, but I’m not all concerned about it. But then again, I didn’t go vegan for health reasons. I also eat lots of other junk. I do count calories, but only to keep myself from gaining weight …

1. See, you are TOTALLY living proof that stressing out about having a “perfect” diet is much more harmful than eating a little white flour, processed soy, etc. every now and then! Seems to me you are PERFECTLY healthy and happy to boot. So why worry and change your diet or worry about the effect of every little thing you put in your mouth?? 🙂

10. The Vegan! says:

I totally agree with you! Some soy if fine, but too much of anything( except our beloved dark leafy greens) is not good for you. I vary my diet and make sure that the soy products I do eat are non GMO and not proccessed, not just because its soy – but because I try not to eat that stuff anyway!

1. Oh even leafy greens! LOL apparently you can die of acid poisoning if you get too much broccoli! (Too much broccoli? Pshaw, like that could ever happen… ;))

11. 40apples says:

I do tend to keep a lot of soy products (the obvious ones like soy milk and tofu) to a minimum because I know that I’m already consuming oodles of it anyway without even trying. Like, I usually don’t have soy products at home (except for randomly right now some tofu and tempeh) but I WILL eat them when out because they’re so often in the vegetarian options at restaurants/cafes. So no, not too spooked about it generally, though I am aware of the dangers of excess!

12. S says:

I agree with you–I think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with soy in its natural state, the way people in Asian countries have been eating it for like forever. It’s when it’s used as a milk or meat “substitute” by our animal-protein-obsessed society, or turned into hydrogenated soybean oil and put into every processed food there is, that it gets to be a problem. I think eating a big hunk of grilled tofu is weird, just like I think eating a big hunk of grilled meat is weird (though the tofu is obviously less ethically problematic), and I think drinking a big glass of soymilk is weird just like I think drinking a big glass of milk is weird. I guess sometimes I feel like one of the problems with Americans and soy is that since it’s not a traditional food in our culture, and its usage was only introduced very recently, we don’t really understand it–so we end up romanticizing it (soy is a magic Asian cure for cancer!) or demonizing it (soy is harmful and unnatural!) because many of the ways it’s used ARE unnatural. It’s similar with corn–I feel like corn is getting a bad rap because of the whole “high fructose corn syrup” thing, but there’s nothing wrong with corn tortillas or corn on the cob! As you say, everything in moderation–and preferably not overprocessed 🙂

1. Love your insight! And I’m so happy you brought up corn, because you are so right that it gets a bad rap due to the fact that manufacturers put it in EVERYthing these days. But how can anyone say no to a grilled corn on the cob at a summer barbecue?!

13. S says:

P.S. As you probably know, soy milk doesn’t have to be processed–you can buy and cook dried soybeans, blend them with water, and strain for all-natural soymilk!

14. Danielle says:

I try and limit (not eliminate…just limit) my consumption of processed soy. Because I don’t think *anything* that’s been heavily processed is ‘good for you.’ People think taking a wheat kernal and removing the bran/germ (white vs. wheat flour) is bad but think that taking a soybean and removing the outer covering (the fiber/fat) is good for you! Not a criticism at all…I just think it’s interesting 🙂

15. StephORama says:

While I’m not scared of soy, I really don’t each much of it. I like almond milk waaay better than soymilk, so I don’t drink soymilk. I really love tofu and have it once or twice a week. I don’t eat much fake meat because the gluten used in it gets my gut really unhappy, so that cuts out a lot of soy, too. So I guess tofu, edamame, and a few other random things here and there are about all the soy I eat.

16. Faith says:

I do a moderate amount of soy – the soy in my Clif Bars + maybe 1 block of tofu per week is about it. I go for Almond Milk as my milk alternative and I don’t really care for soy meat replacements, although once in a blue moon I get a craving for the Hickory Smoked Tofurkey, but that’s still more of a random occurrence than a fridge staple.

17. VEGirl says:

My mom makes soymilk (and therefore makes tofu with it– she is the only one who likes the homemade soymilk!). We don’t buy many processed foods (our brown rice tortillas are the exception), and so we aren’t really exposed to all the converted soy ingredients. We have all talked about it and we agree that, no, soy is not bad in of itself. But yes, non-organic GMO soybeans are not healthy, and that isolated soy stuff is also not natural nor healthy.

In the past months, however, mom hasn’t had the time to make tofu or soymilk and so, honestly, I haven’t eaten any soy for a LONG TIME. If it wanders into my life in a natural, organic form, yum! But otherwise, I’m fine without it.
    VEGirl

18. Fi says:

I used to eat a lot of soy, in replacement of dairy, but I find now, that I can only have so much, a yoghurt a day is more than enough for me. I have moved onto goats milk, its soo nice and yum, and hey, goats jump around cliffs and mountains until they are really old, so its gotta be good for something, ;D

19. thedelicateplace says:

i like that you used the word ‘eschew’ in this post haha. i don’t consume much soy at all! i don’t like the taste of tofu and my GI doesn’t dig it either ;p i do like edamame and consume that from time to time but i never buy ‘frankenfoods’ as i like to call them (think veg hot dogs or soy pups) ::shudder:: no thanks!

20. Anonymous says:

why is soy bad? can someone please explain this to me? i always thought it was a good thing, and women are supposed to eat it to fight off breast cancer?