Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

A recipe, but NOT for Peanut Butter

Fact: I love Butter.

Huh? How exactly is that vegan, Miss Katie?

No wait! I’m talking about the likes of Hot Chocolate Butter, not the dairy stuff. Then, there’s peanut butter, cashew butter, banana butter, almond butter, and—of course—coconut butter. Don’t forget cacao butter, which is not only an ingredient in many chocolate confections, it’s also good for the skin. Yes, this little vegan loves butter.

Recently, another butter has made its way into my life, and I see no reason to dissuade it from staying. The name of this butter: Bean Butter.

Bean Butter

• 1/4 cup (60g) refried beans (Regular beans’d probably work too… How about Chickpea Butter?!)
  • 1/3 of a ripe banana (40g). If it’s not super-ripe, add some sweetener.
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon (and other add-ins if desired)
  • 1/16 tsp salt

**Banana-less version: Add extra sweetener and forgo the banana. Or sub another fruit, such as canned pineapple.

Directions: Blend all ingredients (or mash with a fork if you don’t have a blender).

This “butter” can also be used as a dip, or—dare I say it—a pudding. Bean pudding?! Hey, why not? Or, you can thin it a little with some non-dairy milk or juice for a fun sauce!

Below, another photo. ‘Cause a CCK post wouldn’t be complete without fake flowers:

Question of the Day:

What’s your favorite type of butter? Almond? Hazelnut? Pumpkin butter?

Mine is probably coconut butter. But I do also have a soft spot for Banana Butter. And now I must find a space for Bean Butter. Don’t worry; there’s plenty of room for all!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Leslie says:

Woah! I am SOOOO making Chickpea Butter/ pudding as soon as I get home!!!
    What a fun idea and way to get in some protein.

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

Bean butter, wow! It looks delicious. We have pea butter at home, but I’ve never tried bean butter before. Definitely making this!

My favourite butter is cinnamon banana butter, but I will never turn down peanut butter or macadamia nut butter. Mmmm…

3. Melissa says:

I’d do that bean butter with adzuki! Or just eat the sweetened red bean paste outta the can (as I’m apt to do already…)

I like apple butter and peanut butter the best. Though Justin’s makes a really good maple almond butter that I’m a fan of. And Peanut Butter and Co.’s White Chocolate Wonderful PB rocks my socks. 😉 I also like your banana butter!

I’m a bit of a glutton with PB and can’t have it in the house (SADFACE) due to eating it out of the jar in huge quantities. I have to get PB2 or defatted peanut flour and mix it up with water/toss in smoothies/make banana butter. I hate having to watch every darn calorie I eat. Even marathon training I can’t eat all I want. 🙁 So, you eat extra PB for me, Katie! And realllllly go mmmmm while you do it. 😉

1. When I lived in China, there was a Taiwanese place that had the BEST red bean dessert. I have NO idea how they made it, though. But I still dream about it every now and then ;).

4. Albizia says:

Your chocolate butter is so tempting! But coconut oil is also impossible to find in some countries 🙂 And bean butter? You’re so creative, girl!

We don’t have a big variety of butters but, from what I’ve tried, I think I love peanut butter the most.

5. Janna says:

Bean butter isn’t such a crazy idea! I’ve made black bean brownies before, and they taste great!

Another savory butter idea – avocado butter!

I really want to try coconut butter, and other nut butters! I’ve only ever had peanut and almond! Oh and I’d love to make homemade pumpkin butter mmm!

6. Oh my goodness, well aren’t you creative? Would you consider the bean butter a sweet or savory topping? Hmm.. oatmeal or tacos.. haha.

Oh gosh, I have so many kinds of favorite butters! I’m kind of obsessed with Nuttzo (have you tried it?!) which is a huge combination of nuts, but I also love love love peanut butter and coconut butter. Any kind of butter, really. 🙂

1. If the banana is really sweet, it’s sweet. But you can always add sweetener if you want it more so. Try maple syrup!
      I haven’t tried Nutzo :(. I’ve never even seen it around here!

7. Angela says:

So creative – I would have never thought of this. I love the idea of bean butter, sometimes nut butters are just too much. My favorite butter right now is sunflower seed butter. It’s addicting!

8. Dianne says:

Bean butter?! How do you come up with these things!

9. Judy says:

Chocolate peanut butter

10. Is it weird that I got really excited about that? Perhaps it has to do with that fact that I really just like to try crazy things and mix whatever I’ve got together to see what happens…

Bean butter…who would have thunk it?

11. I bet that’s surprisingly good, sort of how black beans are tasty in brownies. Or how sweetened red beans are yummy in Chinese (or are they Vietnamese?) steamed buns. As for my favorite buttah, I think I’ll have to go Peanut Butter & Co’s yummy PBs….probably Mighty Maple and Dark Chocolate Dreams….though I also love White Chocolate Wonderful…

12. VEGirl says:

Hannah Kaminsky has something like that ( that is absolutely delicious. It’s like a sweet chocolate hummus, and your butter looks kinda similar.

I recently bought some coconut butter (after reading so much stuff about it- I’m looking’ at you ;))
    I am completely obsessed with it! SO good and coconutty! Right now I’m infatuated with a combo of peanut butter and coconut butter, and generally jam (which really ties it off nicely!).

13. Kelsey says:

i love my hemp butter the best!
    i really do need to try ur butter concoctions. i have quite a few recipes of yours ive saved- theyre so brilliant. bean butter sounds amazing!! <3

14. VeggieGirl says:

My favorite is a tie between macadamia nut butter and brazil nut butter.

15. Fi says:

Hmm, bean butter, interesting. My fave is almond butter, but it has to be runny not thick, its soo good with strawberries, chocolate, oatmeal, heck-anything, i just love it.

16. Little Bookworm says:

Interesting sounding recipe Katie! Love the chocolate butter. 😀

17. thedelicateplace says:

interesting! does it taste sweet from the naner or savory? my fave is almond butter, closely followed by pumpkin or squash butter

18. Monica says:

This actually is an amazing idea! I’ll definitely try this with adzuki beans, I love anko so much and if I just use a really sweet banana I can eat the stuff for breakfast!!! I’ll also try with chickpeas…mmm, chickpea butter…

19. EmbraceYourSkin says:

Have you ever had Apple Butter? I used to eat that stuff by the jar as a kid! So so god!

1. I haven’t had apple butter in years! Goodness, why did I forget about that stuff??

20. Valerie says:

You AMAZE me with your clever, fun recipes. What goes through your head each day? I’d love a glimpse ;).
    Definitely making this. I think I’ll try it with chickpeas, like some of the other commenters have said.