Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Baby Oatmeal Cakes

Yesterday’s snack:

Two mini boatmeal cakes topped with cinnamon swirl peanut butter!

Recipe: Baked Oatmeal Cake For One

Times the above recipe by two, and you’ll get my snack. Two oatmeal cakes are better than one, right? For the miniatures, all I did differently was use two 1/2-cup ramekins (any oven-safe dish will do) in place of one big dish. The result was two “muffin-sized” oatmeal cakes. This particular flavor was Apple-Cinnamon:

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cakes

(makes 2 muffin-sized cakes)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • sweetener, such as 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I omitted, but I’ve cautioned you before about my lack of sweet tooth)
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (60g)
  • 1-2 tbsp chopped apple
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice or juice or water (decrease to 3 tbsp if adding the optional oil)
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • Optional for richness: 1 tbsp oil or nut butter of choice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine raw oats, spices, applesauce, apple, and liquid. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, 1-cup ramekin, or two 1/2-cup ramekins. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first if you want your cakes to pop out.

See the original post for Baked Oatmeal Cake Nutrition Facts.

You could use coconut butter or Healthy Cream Cheese Icing, but I expanded my foodie horizons and tried something new.

Next up in the boatmeal world? I really must try carrot cake. And then maybe gingerbread. Or peanut butter banana, like many of you suggested.

Tags: , ,

1. Leslie says:

Ironically, for the “Hug something Vegan” thing, I’ve been planning to send you a photo of the boatmeal I made the other day! 🙂
    I’ll get the photo to you soon. And maybe now I’ll have to try the cinnamon roll version and take another pic 🙂 :).

2. Sophia says:

I don’t use twitter its to complicated :S lol. But if I did I’d follow you!
    I love how you always give your food personality by giving it names, lol.
    These baby oatmeal cakes look super yummy.

3. katie says:

i’ve already done my hug a vegan recipe, but i’m going to make this one anyway. can’t resist, it looks too good! especially with my favorite pb on top :).

4. Camille says:

Oh man, these look awesome!
    Although I don’t consider myself a true vegan, I do eat a mostly vegan diet. I am always a vegetarian but I don’t like to label myself a vegan because it is a bit limiting for me.

5. Tricia says:

I recently made the switch from vegetarian to vegan so everything i’ve been eating has been vegan 🙂

6. Lisa C. says:

Loving the boatmeal cakes! Each flavor looks better than the last :).
    I hugged a very vegan bowl of oatmeal this morning. It was the perfect way to warm up and fill my belly. Yay for vegan food! Hopefully I can remember to send you a photo for your tribute post. Gotta make a note, I’m so forgetful! 😕

7. Kelsey says:

<3 <3 thank you for the link Katie <3 <3

8. Hahahaha that CCK mannequin of sorts is toooooooo funny! 😀

9. Anne says:

So you just split the “oatmeal” cake recipe in half and divide between ramekins right? These could be muffins too I guess.

1. Yup!
      And yeah, they do look like muffins. 🙂 🙂

1. Anne says:

OH, and congrats on twitter.
        I have not and doubt I ever will touch it. I know, I know…my mind may change. But I’m pretty sure it won’t. Ha. Twitter and facebook …I don’t even know what they are…I still struggle with email…

10. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m always looking for a good portable snack idea. Thanks, Katie! 🙂

11. Jennifer says:

Ahh. Just this morning I made the Boatmeal with applesauce and crasins. So good! The best part is that as I was running around trying to get ready to leave the house, my oatmeal was baking away with no need for me to babysit it or look at it at all!

Thanks so much for introducing me to baked oatmeal! Good luck with the blog changes…computers can be so tempermental.

1. So many people think baking is time-consuming just because it takes a long time! So weird, right? I mean, it’s not like you have to watch the thing while it bakes… but I wouldn’t blame anyone who wanted to, just to see how pretty it was ;).

12. I had vegan chocolate coconut oat bran this morning topped with a vegan chocolate coconut oat bran cake/muffin (not sure whether to call it a cake or a muffin just yet…)

1. Woah, that definitely sounds worthy of some hugs!

13. eatandrun says:

Not a vegan, but I love vegan food. It makes me feel healthy :).

14. VeggieGirl says:

Love the mini cake idea!

15. abby says:

ahh another yummy oatmeal cake from the kitchen of katie. did you save one for your friend abby? i’ll be over in a minute! and now i’m craving cinnamon rolls like ca-razy!!!
    cinnamon!!!! topped with coconut butter, of course. you shoulda gone with the coconut butter!

16. juliakatz1996 says:

These look so good!

I love the katie dummy! I hugged my cat (and I hope it counts if the cat is living).

17. Little Bookworm says:

Have I eaten anything vegan lately? Does the dark chocolate I’m eating now count? 😛 Oh wait I made a quinoa casserole last night which was vegan. 🙂 Love the sound of the cinnamon roll boatmeal!

18. Erika says:

Hug-Something-Vegan entry will be coming soon – I wanna make Mama Pea’s Vegan Cookie Dough Balls! <3

1. You had me at cookie. I’m so excited to see your cookieliciousness :).

19. thedelicateplace says:

following you on twitter! i eat a lot of things that are vegan even though i’m not! sooo good!

20. Okay, not only does that look delicious, it looks mighty kid-friendly too. And that’s a wonderful thing when you’ve got a picky toddler at home like I do! Great job!