Spaghetti-Squash Chili

Why do people think fast food has to be unhealthy?

When I got home from class, yesterday, I was hungry, so I wanted something that could be thrown together quickly. But that didn’t mean sacrificing health for convenience. In truth, this meal came together faster than I could’ve even driven to the closest McDonald’s:

chili3

Spaghetti Squash with Amy’s black-bean chili and tomatoes.

So easy to make: Poke holes in the spaghetti squash, then cut in half (widthwise) with a large knife. Bake at 400 F until soft (about an hour), then remove strands.  Mix the squash with Amy’s brand black-bean chili, then add a dash of cumin and little chili powder. Mix in 1/3 cup or so of Rotel diced tomatoes (original) with green chilis.

vegan chili

It was so good! After the spaghetti-chili bowl, I moved on to the rest of the meal. I’d cooked the brussels sprouts a few days ago; therefore I didn’t have to do much, yesterday, in terms of preparation.

chili meal

For the vegetable side dish, I used this recipe: Candy Veggies.

And once my “candy” was gone, I had something equally delicious and coconutty. These stayed in the freezer until consumption of the first two meal components so they wouldn’t live up to their name and melt.

m

Shown above: Coconut Melties.

If a meal has coconut, it can’t be bad, right?

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Molly says:

I love spaghetti squash! I cut it in half, nuke for 12 minutes, and voila! I actually had it for dinner last night and am having it for lunch today. Simple, delicious, good 🙂

2. I didn’t know they sold canned vegan chili! I’ll have to keep an eye out for that 🙂
    My favourite way to eat spaghetti squash is on a salad, it soaks up some of the dressing and tastes so delicious! It should be a bit warm before you top the salad with it.
    By the way, I tried your coconut melties and they were just as great as I’d imagined them to be 🙂 🙂 Thanks for that little recipe!

1. Thanks, Nicole! I’m so excited you tried them. I think I’m addicted hehe :-?.

3. Interesting that a larger squash yields sweeter strands…usually I have heard that smaller = sweeter for melons, so it’s funny that it’s the opposite with squash. 🙂

I don’t usually think of spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute…just as a generally delicious treat in its own right!

My favorite method is to toss the strands with some chopped sundried tomatoes with a little of their oil, as well as some sauteed zucchini or mushrooms or whatever. The squash soaks up the sundried tomato flavor in the oil and it is delicious hot or cold!

1. I wish that were the case… ’cause my choice is: small squash with thin, mushy strands or large squash that yields way too much for one person to eat it all without getting seriously sick of squash before it goes bad lol!

4. Lisa C. says:

Mmm, I love spaghetti squash with pasta sauce. As someone who is trying to lose a little weight, it IS a pasta substitute for me. Sure, it’s not like the real thing, but it sure beats those slimy shirataki noodles!
    😉 😉

5. abby says:

love love love spaghetti squash! never thought of mixing it with chili, though. that sounds yumlicious! 🙂

6. I LOVE spaghetti squash. I’m not a huge fan of spaghetti noodles themselves, and this way I get in a serving of veggies! I usually just toss in some garlic powder or all-purpose seasoning and some tomato sauce (literally, just tomatoes, no added herbs or whatever). Now that I have nutritional yeast I hope to try that out as well.

1. Valerie says:

I love how you get a veggie serving in there, too!
      Sometimes, for my kids, I’ll add spaghetti squash strands to actual pasta. That way, they’re excited for the spaghetti and I’m excited they’re eating veggies :). Win win!

7. Valerie says:

As I wrote above, I’m a huge fan of spaghetti squash. But the first time I brought it home, I had NO idea it would look like spaghetti. I was so surprised! 🙂

8. eatandrun says:

Thanks for a great idea. This looks delicious!

9. Caitlin says:

Those sprouts look angelic, as if they are glowing!

I really like spaghetti squash. Since I have to avoid most wheat products, spaghetti squash and brown rice pasta are my two favorite noodle-y options!

10. Sarahishealthy says:

As a matter of fact, I HAVE tried candy veggies! 🙂 I tried them two days ago, and it’s all I can think about especially now after seeing them again on your blog. I am impatiently waiting til grocery day so I can stock up on more brussel sprouts and make more candy! 🙂

11. Leslie says:

It is funny, isn’t it, how we automatically think McDonalds and Burger King at the mention of fast food. But some of the healthiest foods are “fast” food. Youcan’t get any faster than raw carrots and dip, now can you?

12. Angela says:

Haha I can just imagine frozen spaghetti squash. Ewwww…. of course I am actually not a lover of the stuff in any form. More for everyone else, I guess! 😉

13. I was thinking “coconut melties” would be fabulous to take to my family christmas supper for the “treat table”. But Im not so sure now that I think about it… with all that cooking and body heat, it would be just my luck that they would melt ;0)

I think Ill make them for myself instead 😀

1. I was just thinking the same thing! I thought: Maybe I should make these for Thanksgiving… oh wait, that’d be expensive, and people wouldn’t appreciate them for the delicacy they are. Plus, they might melt! LOL oh well, more for us, right? 😉

14. Sarah A. says:

I must make your coconut melties. I keep seeing them everywhere around the blogworld!

15. dragonmamma/naomi says:

I assume you had the spaghetti squash already cooked? I can’t imagine just heating up a hunk of spaghetti squash for a few minutes and achieving the proper texture.

16. I loveee spaghetti squash, I have some left over in the fridge waiting to be eaten tonight 🙂 Can’t get enough of it! Your concoction looks delish 🙂

17. Lorin says:

I’ve made spaghetti squash once in the oven. As much as I like them they are such a pain to cut (we have bad knives so that is part of the problem too) and I didn’t cook them long enough even though it was in the oven for 45 minutes already. It is delicious though, I’ve only had a few times in my life.

18. I love coconut. It works so well with anything!

Making fast meals can be so healthy and so many people don’t realize there are endless possibilities besides salads.

19. Diana says:

Looks like a fabulous lunch. Certainly better than anything you could get at McD’s. Last I checked, they didn’t have anything with coconut :(. Too bad for them!

20. Spaghetti squash is definitely a favorite of mine. Shoot, it’s what I kicked off my blog with! 🙂

1. Hehe way to go in with a bang! 🙂