Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Whipped Cream’s Healthy Makeover

Don’t tell me that, as a kid, you didn’t enjoy eating bowls of plain whipped cream.

What? You didn’t? It was just me?

Especially around Thanksgiving, I could’ve done without the pies. Just give me the heavy cream and nobody’d get hurt. Therefore, I am head-over-heels in love with this recipe. It’s light, airy, and… creamy!

It’s the perfect substitute for heavy cream on top of pie, ice cream, or a parfait.

You can even try this in the Voluminous Oatmeal Recipe.

Or just eat the entire bowl straight-up, as I like to do!

Soy-Free Vegan Cream

(Makes 1 1/2 cups: one Katie-sized serving!)

• sweetener of choice
  • 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 T water (20g)
  • 1/2 serving agar base (see below)
  • 3 drops coconut extract (Optional, but highly recommended)
  • optional: cocoa or fruit (for flavored cream)

Instructions: First, make up the agar base. When it’s cooled, put half of it in a blender (or Magic Bullet) with all the other ingredients and blend away.  Whip very well. I like to put it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to eating, so it’s super-cold. Optional: add fruit, cacao nibs, cocoa powder, or other add-ins.

Nutritional Info:
(for the entire bowl!)
Calories: 60
Fat: 3g
Protein: 2g
Carbohydrates: 3g

Want a version without agar? Try this: Coconut Cool Whip.

Uses for the Vegan Cream: Pour over berries, pie (pumpkin pie?!), waffles, or you can even eat it plain.

Or try it over pancakes, such as my Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes.

(That’s soyatoo in the photo, but you get the idea)

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Tangy says:

I am excited for Thanksgiving!! I get to see a lot of family I only get to see a few times a year. It’s going to be a huge family gathering and we always have a blast and oh, yeah, there’s all the FOOD! I am a little nervous about my self-control but I know it will be a fun day!

I don’t use whipped cream very often…usually the only time of year is on Thanksgiving day! I made some a couple of weeks ago using coconut milk, agave, and vanilla on HEAB’s pumpkin bars…it was ahhhhmazing 🙂

2. Valerie says:

I love whipped cream! And yes, I’m a vegan. And no, that doesn’t stop me from eating whipped cream in abundance. Of course, now it’s just in the form of soyatoo and mimicream and your tofu vegan cream, which my whole family ADORES! The kiddies eat it over berries all the time, and I beam at knowing they’re enjoying a healthy snack :).

3. I’m fairly new to your blog, and I just wanted to tell you that even though I’m not a vegan, I love reading your posts!

I also can’t believe that there is just one week until Thanksgiving. My father makes the meal, but I take care of dessert – I’d better start planning!

1. Aww thanks for the sweet comment! Haha I have to start planning too :-?. I have dessert taken care of, but I have no idea about the rest.

4. MiSo says:

That’s a very good and healthy idea!

5. Marissa says:

I’m not a vegan, and I’m not allergic to soy per se, but I really try to limit it because I blieve everything in moderation. So I am jotting this recipe down to put on top of my pumpkin pie this year. Thank you SO MUCH!!!! 🙂 🙂

6. OMG! I hapen to have agar flakes right now and have a pumpkin pie to top for today’s potluck at work! Ack! I’m so excited to try this! OH I have to get my base made so it can cool *runs around like a crazy person* Katie where do you come up with these fantastic ideas!?!?! 🙂

1. Hehe my tummy tells me what to do ;).

1. Nice! Apparently I should try letting my tummy take charge! 😉

7. abby says:

i’ve made your banana cream recipe before and it is heavenly. you can bet i’ll be trying this one. maybe with a single lady cupcake crumbled in? 😉
    how good does that sound?

8. I know it practically makes me a communist, but I am just not a huge fan of whipped cream. I liked Cool Whip when I was a kid, but I just prefer things without any of that these days. *ducks from thrown tomatoes!*

1. abby says:

oh well, they’d be throwing tomatoes at me too, because i was the BIGGEST cool whip fan when i was a little kid. my sisters hated it, but i could and did eat gobs of the stuff, like ice cream!

9. Leslie says:

I’m very excited for Thanksgiving. My parents are flying in, and it is going to be a HUGE party. We’re all going to have so much fun… that is, until we all get sick of each other! LOL

The cream looks terrific. I’m a sucker for cream on top of pie. I think it makes the pie.

10. eatandrun says:

That looks so good!

11. Jennifer - jcd says:

You’re so brilliant! I’ll have to try this cream. I looooved whipped cream, especially in trifle, but I also ate it plain… We had Canadian Thanksgiving in October. It’s a nice family holiday and the food is always yummy too, once you get past the dead bird part. My parents are nice enough to skip the turkey on my behalf, so we had pumpkin chili, pumpkin pie, roasted veggies, and store-bought vegan whipped topping. Yum. I also like Christmas food – can you ssay Figgy Pudding?!?

Hmm… I wonder how crumbled fudge babies and this whipped cream would taste? Pretty good, I’m sure. And I made a new ice cream recipe I thought you’d like: 1 frozen banana and 5 frozen strawberries, blend it up with a little soy milk, juice, or water and ta-da! Yummy ice cream!

1. Woah, your parents are seriously awesome! My mom eschewed eating the turkey one year, but she still served it :(.
      On a happier note, your ice cream sounds yumlicious, as does a fudge baby-whipped cream bowl!!

12. courtney says:

What do you mean “used to eat whipped cream by the bowlful?” Istill do that! Whipped cream is my favorite thing ever–I love the real stuff that is freshly whipped and doesn’t really have sweetener added. I will have to try the vegan version; thanks for the recipe Katie!

13. foodiefresh says:

Instead of agar base, do you think you could make a base with non-dairy milk and xantham gum?

1. Honestly, I have no idea, because I’ve never tried it. But if you try it, will you let me know how it works?? I’d love to know! 🙂

14. Jess says:

I can’t wait for Thanksgiving! It’s my favorite holiday. I like whipped cream on pumpkin pie! Hehe.

15. Agar is the final frontier for me. I’ve never had luck with it, and I really need to get in the kitchen and master it. I hate not being able to do something! I puffy-heart Soy Whip, the kind in the box…not the can.

I’m sooooooo excited about Thanksgiving. Its one of my fave holidays. My mom makes everything vegan for me, so I can stuff myself crazy like everyone else.

16. Wow that is such a great idea!

17. sarah says:

Woah, that fudge cake looks too good to be true! Off to click on the recipe!

18. I can’t say I’ve ever eaten a lot of whipped cream (and in my house that only meant the stuff from a can or a tub, we were not the kind of people who made whipped cream from scratch). But I did get a can of Soyatoo last year and we had it with berries. Now that is a divine combo.

19. Oh and no, I’m not really excited for Thanksgiving. I’m not going to visit my family so I probably won’t do anything at all.

20. Caitlin says:

I love Thanksgiving! This is the first year I will not be home for it, but luckily two of my best friends will be here with me.

Whipped cream is one of my favorite foods (err….treats?)! I love the aerosol kind and the freshly whipped kind. I often eat ice cream and pie ONLY as an excuse to eat way too much whipped cream.