Whipped Cream’s Healthy Makeover

Don’t tell me that, as a kid, you didn’t enjoy eating bowls of plain whipped cream.

What? You didn’t? It was just me?

Especially around Thanksgiving, I could’ve done without the pies. Just give me the heavy cream and nobody’d get hurt. Therefore, I am head-over-heels in love with this recipe. It’s light, airy, and… creamy!

It’s the perfect substitute for heavy cream on top of pie, ice cream, or a parfait.

You can even try this in the Voluminous Oatmeal Recipe.

Or just eat the entire bowl straight-up, as I like to do!

Soy-Free Vegan Cream

(Makes 1 1/2 cups: one Katie-sized serving!)

• sweetener of choice
  • 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 T water (20g)
  • 1/2 serving agar base (see below)
  • 3 drops coconut extract (Optional, but highly recommended)
  • optional: cocoa or fruit (for flavored cream)

Instructions: First, make up the agar base. When it’s cooled, put half of it in a blender (or Magic Bullet) with all the other ingredients and blend away.  Whip very well. I like to put it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to eating, so it’s super-cold. Optional: add fruit, cacao nibs, cocoa powder, or other add-ins.

Nutritional Info:
(for the entire bowl!)
Calories: 60
Fat: 3g
Protein: 2g
Carbohydrates: 3g

Want a version without agar? Try this: Coconut Cool Whip.

Uses for the Vegan Cream: Pour over berries, pie (pumpkin pie?!), waffles, or you can even eat it plain.

Or try it over pancakes, such as my Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes.

(That’s soyatoo in the photo, but you get the idea)

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

I love Thanksgiving!!! It is my favorite holdiay….but I have a tennis tournament in Georgia, and my sister has one in Michigan. So we will be spending Thanksgiving apart 🙁 And on the road 🙁

2. Amy says:

I am so excited. I just found your site through http://thedailydietribe.com. I am eliminating dairy from my diet since I don’t like how it makes me feel and a blood test I had resulted in an “allergy”. I love whipped cream and was wondering if I would ever be able to have it again and now I can try this!

1. I’m so glad you found me!! 🙂

3. you’re not alone, I was always a straight up whipped cream girl. I was also a big fan of clotted cream which I got from my british dad. He ate it with scones.. I skipped the scones and went for the cream by itself.

4. bitt says:

interesting idea! i have yet to use agar. must cross it off the list.

5. Yum! Can’t wait to try that sometime! 🙂

I was never a fan of store bought whipped cream but now that it’s been forever, I kind of miss it!

Whitney

6. bloomingbuzz says:

I just had whipped cream on top of a brownie with ice cream for dessert last night 😀 it was sooo good…definitely one of my favorite ways to enjoy it!

and on that note, I will be enjoying my fair share of the stuff this time next week and I could not be more excited to celebrate!

7. Camille says:

Ooh, what a great idea!
    Usually I am super excited for Thanksgiving because I get to see my entire family. This year, however, I have moved away so I’m not quite as excited. I am excited that the same weekend is my birthday, that will be fun!

8. Aly says:

I love whipped cream!! 🙂 I used soyatoo for last Thanksgiving and this Thanksgiving, I’m not entirely sure what I’m making for dessert! Menu time…? 😀 I am super ecstatic about Thanksgiving. My family (i.e. everyone apart from my mommy and daddy) don’t understand why I’m vegan, so I’m going to be in for a question and answer session, but I’m bringing lots of vegan food to share! 😀 I just won’t claim it as such and see what gets eaten!
    Yay family though!!
    I really wanna try your cream recipe. 🙂
    Deeeelish!
    Aly

1. Ugh, I don’t know what I’m making either! (For the main meal, I mean)
      Good luck with your q-and-a session… if people give you hell, just shove a yummy vegan brownie in their mouths ;).

9. Yum! Where do I buy agar, though??????
    Must make this soon!!!! As in whenever possible. I might even resort to buying tofu and trying out that version. Throw in some chocolate chips and maybe a drizzle of honey……..and eat it for breakfast. Because tofu is healthy, and chocolate has antioxidants, so this is practically health food!

10. theflourishingfoodie says:

This sounds so good! I just need to get my hands on some agar base.
    I”m really not a big fan of pumpkin or apple pie, so usually on thanksgiving I just have a tiny slice of pecan pie and a huge plate ful of whipped cream. Now that I”m trying to limit my dairy consumption I really need to try this!

11. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) says:

This looks AMAZING!!!

I loved Cool Whip as a kid. And Scott may have a minor cool whip addiciton 🙂 Mostly broke him of it, but he loves the stuff..eats it frozen like ice cream.

I have tried Tru Whip which is coolwhip’s healthier cousin, and it’s good but harder to find and much pricier. And it’s not truly vegan. It’s dairy free but not vegan b/c of trace dairy i think. A reader told me that…anyhoo…

I have also made tons of cashew cream in my time, but it doesnt have the light totally fluffy texture that your latest recipe has…Job well done, Katie!!!!!!

🙂

12. Erika says:

As much as I love whipped cream on ice cream or pie, my favorite way to eat it is by squirting the whipped cream out of the can and into my mouth! 😛

13. Katie, this looks great! I bet this is more tasty than soyatoo, can’t wait to try it out – thanks for posting. 🙂

1. It’s certainly easier to get out. I always have such issues getting my Soyatoo to come out of the can! 😕

14. Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather says:

What a volumous whipped cream! I usually don’t eat whip cream but this one does look tasty.

15. anglia says:

thanks for this article very nice information on cream.

16. Sarah says:

You are a very, very nice person! I haven’t eaten ice cream or anything yummy creamy for the last 2 years due to health issues (get real sick with anything too high fat). I can totally have this!!! Let me rephrase—I AM going to totally have this today!
    My 6 yr old and I made your agar pudding last week and it was awesome–she loved it as much as I did. So this is the next logical step…

Thanks for sharing your great ideas! I would be lost without so many great food blogs to follow!

1. Oh wow, Sarah, thank you so much for your kind words. They made my Saturday morning oh-so-bright :)!

17. That whip cream sounds great! I think my favorite way to eat it would be with some bananas, hemp seesds, apple and cinnamon.

18. LenaBena says:

Hmm, sounds good!

Hi Katie,

I found you through Julia over at Islaborg. If I can find agar then I’ll definitely try it. Question: do you think this could be used as a meringue if some arrowroot was added?

Lena

1. Hey!! I’m so glad you found me :).
      I’ve actually not had merengue in so long that I don’t even remember what it tastes like! But if you try it, let me know how it works :). Experimenting is always fun hehe.

19. Ruthiey says:

something definitely involving peanut butter, chocolate and bananas… ^_^