Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

“Mexican Hat Dance” Tortilla Soup

¡Hola chispas de chocolate!

Do you like Mexican Food? As a little girl, I hated it! Even after we moved to Texas, the home of Tex-Mex cuisine, I still loathed tacos, fajitas, and guacamole. Don’t get me started on jalapeños. And I don’t think I’d eaten an enchilada in my entire life!

However, tastes change, and perhaps Texas is wearing off on me? Now I suddenly find myself craving such Mexican staples as tacos, guacamole, refried beans, salsa, or the following recipe: Tortilla Soup!

Mexican Hat Dance Soup

• 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 can corn (unsweetened, but with salt), drained
  • 1 can tomatoes with green chilies (or 1 can tomatoes + 1 small can green chilies)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 to 2 cups veggies (I like 2 cups raw zucchini. Or try frozen peas and carrots)
  • Optional: tortilla chips, vegan sour cream, beans

Put everything except optional beans and sour cream in a pot and bring to a boil. Then turn down to low and cook until the veggies are soft. (About an hour and a 1/2, if using zucchini.) You don’t have to watch this as it cooks, so really it only takes about 3 minutes to make!

Obviously, seeing as it’s tortilla soup, you’re supposed to eat this with tortilla chips crushed on top. But I’d rather eat it alongside a warm, gooey English muffin.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Albizia says:

I think I like all kinds of exotic cuisine. it’s just fun to try something new every once in a while. And it’s good that taste changes because otherwise I would never try fudge babies. I used to hate dates as a kid 🙂 .

2. Wow that really is the easiest ever! I love homemade mexican food, but restaurant mexican food tends to be too greasy for me.

1. Leslie says:

Same here. I always thought I hated Mexican food, but then I moved in next door to a sweet Mexican family who loves to cook for their new friend… turns out I love real Mexican food!

3. I have never really liked mexican foods (unless tortilla wraps count!). I really want to try this soup though. Me love zucchini!

4. Love mexican except for when its ultra-spicy! That soup looks awesome!

5. I LOVE Mexican food! I was the exact opposite – I started liking spicy Mexican food at age 4! 🙂

6. I’ve never really had much Mexican food…but those coconut-kale enchiladas and the tortilla soup are definitely making me want some! Must try that soup-any delicious looking 6 ingredient recipes are winners in my book! 😀

7. MelissA says:

I love Mexican food. I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. I’ve lived in 3 major cities and my favorite Mexican food in definately in Austin.

I can’t eat it all of the time, but we eat it at least once a week either at home or out.

8. Camille says:

This girl was born and raised in San Diego, California. It would be a crime NOT to like Mexican food! To be fair, though, we do have the good, authentic stuff there 🙂

1. Leslie says:

That definitely makes a huge difference! 🙂

9. Julia says:

That soup looks great.

I’m not crazy about Mexican food. Though I do love me some chips and salsa!!! 🙂

10. I love love love Mexican food!!!!! My and my husband has fiesta nights and cook Mexican together. Tortilla soup is so good, I’ve only just recently tried it. This looks amazing and so do those enchiladas 🙂

11. Heather says:

I LOVE any and all Mexican food! I can’t believe you’ve never had a true enchilada! This soup looks great! I bet it would go get with my Red Hot Blues tortilla chips!

1. Leslie says:

I only recently discovered blue tortilla chips. They are awesome! Maybe because they’re blue, my favorite color? 🙂

12. I LOVE mexican food!!! But of course, I love EVERY kind of food (although, after that fruit thing, maybe I shouldn’t use the word every 😉
    I’ve never made tortilla soup before, but I need to make yours – it looks way better than any non-vegan version! 🙂

13. Brandi says:

I’m not a huge Mexican food fan since going vegetarian. Although taste do change and lately I have been getting into more Mexican foods like burritos.

I haven’t tried gaucamole in a long time so i’m still not sure if I like it.

14. I loveeee Mexican food. It’s dangerous to sit me at a table with unlimited tortilla chips and salsa 🙂

15. Kathleen says:

Yes, I adore Mexican food!!! My family loves to have tacos — the bombdiggidy!!! I don’t know if I’ve ever had Tortilla Soup before….. Yours looks heavenly!!! I just want to dive right in! 🙂

1. Haha remember goggles! The spiciness might hurt your eyes ;).

16. I looooove Tex-Mex!!! I miss living in Texas sooo soo much- my parents still live there, though, in Plano near Dallas and I basically get them to take me to various Mexi places every time I come to visit. Recently I went to Chuy’s and it was amazing! It’s a chain, but most of the employees know what vegan means and the rice and beans are vegan, and the veggie enchiladas can be made without cheese! They are out of this world and made with blue corn tortillas…droolworthy.
    Your soup looks fabulous! I am definitely going to bookmark this recipe and make it the next time I need a Tex-Mex fix (and I need it often).

1. I live so close to Plano! 🙂
      You should try Anamia’s. All my friends are obsessed.

17. That’s funny… I actually didn’t like Mexican until i was a teenager. I thought it was too spicy. Nowadays I hardly think ANYTHING is ever too spicy… bring on the jalapenos!!! mmm

1. And the hot sauce! I am the same way! 🙂

18. Mexican is probably my FAAVORITE ethnic food!

19. I am half mexican, so I think I was born to like mexican food!! As a kid I didn’t like it either, but now I LOVE IT! You need to try real enchiladas!!

1. I know!! I really do! It’s gotta happen soon!

20. Jos says:

Not really a big fan of Mexican food..prolly the “smell” of the spices that’s too strong for me. But I do like my own quickie guacamole 😀