Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

“Mexican Hat Dance” Tortilla Soup

¡Hola chispas de chocolate!

Do you like Mexican Food? As a little girl, I hated it! Even after we moved to Texas, the home of Tex-Mex cuisine, I still loathed tacos, fajitas, and guacamole. Don’t get me started on jalapeños. And I don’t think I’d eaten an enchilada in my entire life!

However, tastes change, and perhaps Texas is wearing off on me? Now I suddenly find myself craving such Mexican staples as tacos, guacamole, refried beans, salsa, or the following recipe: Tortilla Soup!

Mexican Hat Dance Soup

• 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 can corn (unsweetened, but with salt), drained
  • 1 can tomatoes with green chilies (or 1 can tomatoes + 1 small can green chilies)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 to 2 cups veggies (I like 2 cups raw zucchini. Or try frozen peas and carrots)
  • Optional: tortilla chips, vegan sour cream, beans

Put everything except optional beans and sour cream in a pot and bring to a boil. Then turn down to low and cook until the veggies are soft. (About an hour and a 1/2, if using zucchini.) You don’t have to watch this as it cooks, so really it only takes about 3 minutes to make!

Obviously, seeing as it’s tortilla soup, you’re supposed to eat this with tortilla chips crushed on top. But I’d rather eat it alongside a warm, gooey English muffin.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Albizia says:

I think I like all kinds of exotic cuisine. it’s just fun to try something new every once in a while. And it’s good that taste changes because otherwise I would never try fudge babies. I used to hate dates as a kid :) .

2. Hmmm I love fahitas and guac ;). And this soup looks delish too kt!

Happy weekend!

3. Wow that really is the easiest ever! I love homemade mexican food, but restaurant mexican food tends to be too greasy for me.

1. Leslie says:

Same here. I always thought I hated Mexican food, but then I moved in next door to a sweet Mexican family who loves to cook for their new friend… turns out I love real Mexican food!

4. I have never really liked mexican foods (unless tortilla wraps count!). I really want to try this soup though. Me love zucchini!

5. Lauren says:

These look really good. I love Mexican food, especially guacamole!

6. Love mexican except for when its ultra-spicy! That soup looks awesome!

7. I LOVE Mexican food! I was the exact opposite – I started liking spicy Mexican food at age 4! :-)

8. I’ve never really had much Mexican food…but those coconut-kale enchiladas and the tortilla soup are definitely making me want some! Must try that soup-any delicious looking 6 ingredient recipes are winners in my book! 😀

9. MM, I love mexican food! My mom is hispanic, so I feel SO much more comfortable with latin american foods/spices than I do with any other kind…I’m sure this is sort of how you feel regarding chopsticks/asian food 😉

1. Definitely! I bet if I had a hispanic mother to cook for me, I would’ve liked hispanic food MUCH sooner than I did! That’s certainly how I feel about my Italian grandma’s cooking anyways… I think if something’s made with love, then you automatically love it because you associate it with only good things!

10. MelissA says:

I love Mexican food. I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. I’ve lived in 3 major cities and my favorite Mexican food in definately in Austin.

I can’t eat it all of the time, but we eat it at least once a week either at home or out.

11. ha, i should mention how my mother plays into this…she always cooked with cumin, tomatoes, corn, tortillas, beans, rice and all those special fruits (plantain) and cheeses . Of course, since I’m mostly vegan now, it’s kind of different but still pretty much the same idea :)

12. Camille says:

This girl was born and raised in San Diego, California. It would be a crime NOT to like Mexican food! To be fair, though, we do have the good, authentic stuff there :)

1. Leslie says:

That definitely makes a huge difference! :)

13. Julia says:

That soup looks great.

I’m not crazy about Mexican food. Though I do love me some chips and salsa!!! :-)

14. I love love love Mexican food!!!!! My and my husband has fiesta nights and cook Mexican together. Tortilla soup is so good, I’ve only just recently tried it. This looks amazing and so do those enchiladas :)

15. Ilana says:

Haha jk. Kinda. Guac is aaaaahhmazing. I adore Mexican food, spicy beans and rice, tortilla chips, salsa…yum! I love the different nuances of Central American cuisine…when I went to Nicaragua I fell in love with plantains!

1. I know, it’s sad. I keep trying to like avocado, because it’s so super-healthy! But I never can bring myself to like it :(.
      I’ve never had plantains!

16. Heather says:

I LOVE any and all Mexican food! I can’t believe you’ve never had a true enchilada! This soup looks great! I bet it would go get with my Red Hot Blues tortilla chips!

1. Leslie says:

I only recently discovered blue tortilla chips. They are awesome! Maybe because they’re blue, my favorite color? :)

17. I LOVE mexican food!!! But of course, I love EVERY kind of food (although, after that fruit thing, maybe I shouldn’t use the word every 😉
    I’ve never made tortilla soup before, but I need to make yours – it looks way better than any non-vegan version! :)

18. Brandi says:

I’m not a huge Mexican food fan since going vegetarian. Although taste do change and lately I have been getting into more Mexican foods like burritos.

I haven’t tried gaucamole in a long time so i’m still not sure if I like it.

19. I loveeee Mexican food. It’s dangerous to sit me at a table with unlimited tortilla chips and salsa :)

20. yum, i love mexican food! although i’ve only ever had bastardized english versions. i’m sure real mexican food is nothing like what we get here! guacamole = crack, though.

21. Kathleen says:

Yes, I adore Mexican food!!! My family loves to have tacos — the bombdiggidy!!! I don’t know if I’ve ever had Tortilla Soup before….. Yours looks heavenly!!! I just want to dive right in! :)

1. Haha remember goggles! The spiciness might hurt your eyes ;).

22. I looooove Tex-Mex!!! I miss living in Texas sooo soo much- my parents still live there, though, in Plano near Dallas and I basically get them to take me to various Mexi places every time I come to visit. Recently I went to Chuy’s and it was amazing! It’s a chain, but most of the employees know what vegan means and the rice and beans are vegan, and the veggie enchiladas can be made without cheese! They are out of this world and made with blue corn tortillas…droolworthy.
    Your soup looks fabulous! I am definitely going to bookmark this recipe and make it the next time I need a Tex-Mex fix (and I need it often).

1. I live so close to Plano! :)
      You should try Anamia’s. All my friends are obsessed.

23. That’s funny… I actually didn’t like Mexican until i was a teenager. I thought it was too spicy. Nowadays I hardly think ANYTHING is ever too spicy… bring on the jalapenos!!! mmm

1. And the hot sauce! I am the same way! :)

24. Mexican is probably my FAAVORITE ethnic food!

25. I am half mexican, so I think I was born to like mexican food!! As a kid I didn’t like it either, but now I LOVE IT! You need to try real enchiladas!!

1. I know!! I really do! It’s gotta happen soon!

26. Jos says:

Not really a big fan of Mexican food..prolly the “smell” of the spices that’s too strong for me. But I do like my own quickie guacamole 😀

27. It looks amazing!! I never liked Mexican food as a kid, either. I think the main thing is that I hate cilantro and it seems to be in every Mexican dish!

1. Oh my gosh, me too! Cilantro and parsley! Blech.

28. i LOVE mexican food- although, it doesn’t quite love me.. if ya kno what i mean.. spices=no bueno !! what a nice and simple dish.. !

1. Hahaha tmi silly fuzzy-sock girl! 😉

29. bitt says:

I LOVE mexican food, we’ve been having it for the past few days here. We especially like raw mexican

30. Oh. My. Goodness. I love tortilla soup and this looks amazing!!! Making it tomorrow!!!!!!!! :)

31. I like “authentic” Mexican food, which isn’t simply rice and beans and everything covered in cheese and sour cream. Real Mexican food uses inexpensive and simple ingredients, so it actually has flavor! Love “street” tacos. We found a place locally that makes them and they are only $1 a piece, but otherwise, my husband and I never go out for Mexican food.

1. I really need to get to Mexico. It’s kinda sad that I live so close and yet have never been.

1. Yeah, wow, that’s actually kind of weird. You must go!

32. Jordan says:

I grew up in Texas, and I love Mexican food, particularly Tex-Mex. I eat something mexican-esque at least three times.

33. Moni'sMeals says:

wow Katie, this works for me! Super simply and of course healthy and tasty. :)

34. I hated Mexican food as a kid – it had all my least favorite foods – tomatoes, corn, beans, avocado, peppers, onions… luckily I’ve changed a lot and now I like all of those things and Mexican food in general.

35. Ahhh I love Mexican food! Only when it is MILDLY spicy, though;) This looks yummy! I think I will dip pizza in it

36. I love making soup the past 6-9 months or so and previously…I never did! I have a southwestern soup ‘recipe’ (really just take canned veggies and beans and spices…WHATEVER i have on hand, not really precise, at all) and it could be called mexican or southwestern..and yes, love mexican food but it doesnt love me always.

Beans, or too much fried food, not easy on my tummy but it sure tastes good going down :)

37. obsessed. thats all i can say haha.

mexican is just SO fun!

38. Disturbed says:

I love Mexican food! Love it!
    Salsa and chips is my favorite thing in the world.

39. I’m such a Mexican food fan. Maybe it’s just for an excuse to eat salsa and cheese…but then again, I don’t really need an excuse to eat those two. Your tortilla soup looks super easy to make, thanks for the ideas Katie!

40. Angie says:

I love how easy this recipe is and I Have all of those products at home!

41. KellyJ says:

Perfect recipe for Saturday night dinner (and that’s what I thought this morning when I read this post.) So I made it, adding black beans and a grain mixture for some substance, and yum-o! I wish I could post a picture in comments because it looked as good as it tasted :)

1. Wow, I’m so excited (and impressed!) you already made it! I wish you could post a picture through comments too! Thanks so much for letting me know you tried it. :) :)

42. Hannah says:

I love mexican foods but I am a sucker for Indian food. They sometimes serve it at my school but it always sucks. Ah well, an excuse to go out to eat!!

43. I LOVE Mexican food! There are so many good Mexican restaurants in California :)

44. Alyssa says:

I love Mexican food about once a month, other than that I want my Thai, Indian, or Japanese food!!!

45. Hi Katie! I just came across your blog today, and I really love it! As far as Mexican food is concerned, I am obsessed! In fact, I have friends in town (currently I live in Tucson), and we had delicious Mexican food today! Enchiladas are probably my favorite! I’m always looking to make healthier versions of my favorite foods, so I appreciate the recipes. I look forward to reading more. :)

1. Hey Parita! I’m so glad you found me :).
      Wish I were in Tuscon right now… it looks so pretty and warm!

46. Erik Marcus says:

Couldn’t resist taking a moment to tell you how amazing those raw enchiladas look! When I see photos like that, I have to wonder why I ever eat cooked food.

1. I feel the same way every time I see a photo of the mint chocolate sundae at Pure Food and Wine! :)

47. Alyson says:

First of all, I dig your spanish at the beginning of the post. :) Second of all, I share the same (not so much dislike but) distaste with Mexican food/ I’ve never really been completely in love with the cuisine! (Those Coconut Kale Enchiladas look amazingly yummy though! When I visit Texas, that’s the first thing I’m going to eat! 😉 ) Third of all, (is that even a saying?) I love this idea for tortilla soup!! It looks incredibly easy and delicious! And although guacamole isn’t my FAVORITE thing, I’ll still eat it if it’s mixed all together in rice, beans, and sauteed veggies. :) Happy day!! Hahaha!

1. No no, when you visit Texas, come visit ME first! (Then we can go together to get the enchiladas hehe)

1. Alyson says:

Ahahahaha! I will definitely do that! 😀 yay!

48. I LOVE all types of mexican food. Tacos are one of my favorite foods and I use jalapenos on pretty much anything

49. michelle says:

Coincidence….last night hubby and I went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. Margaritas, fajitas, guacamole and fried ice cream for dessert. So yes I loooove Mexican food!

1. LOL they can fry ice cream?!

50. Mexican food is the best! There are so many different ways to combine beans, salsa, and guacamole!!! And they are all squishy and delicious.

51. BroccoliHut says:

I love Mexican food! I often request Mexican food on my birthday every year:) Man, I love me some guac…

52. Yay I love this!! So easy and looks Yum-O!

53. I love Mexican food! Guac and tamales and enchiladas and burritos and salsa… yes please! :)

54. Tara says:

This soup was delicious! I just made it and devoured it. Those enchiladas look amazing too. Anything coconut sounds amazing to me though. I haven’t had enchiladas in a looong time but I would love to try raw vegan ones, whether they taste similar or not.

55. I absolutely LOVE tortilla soup! And those kale enchiladas look almost to beautiful to eat!

1. I agree! I *almost* couldn’t bring myself to eat them… until I tried one bite. Then it was like, “Eh, who cares if they’re pretty and I’m consuming art?!” 😉

56. Marissa says:

Cooking this right now! I added bell peppers and plan on throwing in some black beans at the end. It already smells sooooo good! Waiting 1.5 hours is going to be hard!

1. Oh yum, I love your idea to add bell peppers. That could only make it better! I hope you liked it!!

57. Hey! I have nearly all the ingredients for this including some leftover cabbage! :) Guess this will be dinner tomorrow. But possibly with more than just 2 cups of veggies cuuus…I like veggies lol

58. Oh, Katie…thanks so much for this! I am at home along tonight and have very little food in my house and was trying to figure out what the heck to make that was going to be filling and healthy. This is PERFECT! And I can just whip up a scratch taco seasoning mix in a pinch. I think I’ll have this with polenta…

1. Thank you so much for trying it!

59. Stephanie Bush says:

Do you live in Dallas? I just saw the website for the cafe in Dallas! I live in Dallas to!! I love this site just found it a few weeks ago and have made several things and my family loves it! Thank you for your creative healthy cooking! I cut out sugar in January and have been eating vegan for about 3 months! So this is perfect. My Husband and I’s aniversery is Tomarrow! I think we will have to go to the Bliss Raw Cafe for dinner!
    Thank you!! Love the Recipies!!!

60. Sara says:

Haven’t made this in awhile, but the weather has cooled off and it’s going to be dinner tonight. I love this.