Want to hear my Nutty Ideas?

My head is full of nutty ideas.

Nutty Idea #1: There are so many recipes for nut butters on this blog that I decided to wrangle them together, with my super-cool nut-butter lasso, and make a special recipe tab:

chocolate-spread

CCK Nut Butter Recipes

Nutty Idea #2: Despite temperatures dipping way beyond freezing, with gusting winds, I thought a smoothie would make a yummy breakfast.

green smoothie

green juice

Normally, I only like blended greens in my Spinach Ice Cream.

But today, a smoothie sounded appealing. This one had blueberries, peaches, and spinach. It tasted much better than it looks. (Note the snow in the background. Blech.)

Nutty Idea #3: Nothing about a banana appealed to my taste buds at breakfast time.

vegan peanut butter sandwich

So I sliced strawberries on top of Gingerbread Butter.

I ate this toast alongside my freezing-cold smoothie. The deliciousness made up for the cold.

Is it Cold where you are?

Yesterday, I woke up to ice-covered roads, gusting winds, and a forecast that proclaimed “feels like –5 degrees.” Yet, for some reason, I still thought it’d be a good idea to go running. Nutty Idea #4. After 5 minutes of battling the tortuous winds, I admitted defeat and retreated back to my warm cocoon to fight another demon… the treadmill.

Do you run on a Treadmill?

The darned things make me feel like a hamster, constantly moving without ever actually going anywhere. Normally, when the weather’s abominable, I’ll suck it up and go outside anyway. Or I’ll take a rest day. (Really, Texas doesn’t see too many days where it’s just too cold/rainy/icy to venture out.) But this morning, already dressed and ready to run, I decided to take a ride on the wild side Nordic Trac.

Gossip Girl, my ipod, and—oddly enough–Sesame Street kept me company, valiantly trying to distract me from the boredom of running in place for over eight miles.

As I asked on Twitter, if anyone has good “beat treadmill boredom” ideas for me, I’d be much obliged! Although I might not need them, providing the groundhog is to be trusted: he didn’t see his shadow!! 🙂

Have you ever had any nutty ideas?

Tags:

1. Camille says:

-5°!? Why in the name of god would you venture out in that! People call me crazy when it dips below 30 and I go out for a run!
    Those kinds of days were just made for the treadmill. I have found that watching a movie/TV show on my iPod helps beat the treadmill blues. You can rent them off iTunes or, if you have Netflix, you can download an App to watch your Instant Queue 🙂

1. I didn’t even think about the fact that I had a perfect movie to watch on the treadmill yesterday: The Hangover! I keep forgetting to watch it!!! But it’s supposed to be awful tomorrow still, so maybe then! 🙂

2. a reader says:

I have a request:
    Can you possibly do a post on how to become a successful blogger? I know other bloggers (Tina, Gina) have done posts like these, and I’d love to hear your tips, especially because it seems like you’ve achieved “big blogger” status by doing your own thing.
    Although I’m not new to the blogging world, I still consider my blog a “baby” blog for the amount of traffic it gets and the amount of other people who make my recipes (zero).
    Also, this post made me laugh with every sentence. I love your creativity. You should write a book! Not just a cookbook (because I know people always tell you that) but even just a story book. 🙂 I love your blog!

1. Aww, your words are kinder than I deserve! I might try to put together a list of tips I’ve picked up from experience, since you’re not the first to ask for such a post. But as for a “successful blogger” post… I think you’re a successful blogger if your blog makes YOU happy. That’s the only thing that matters! 🙂

3. Yes, it is cold, and I am so over it. I need sunshine in my life! I want to be drinking your smoothie out by your pool in some 80 degree temps! Heck, make it 90’s. 😉

So fun you now have a nut butter tab. That makes me smile Katie, and in reference to your last post, I use to love Hamburger Helper, but your version sounds much better. Love your recipes – all of them!

4. It’s -20 where I live (NEGATIVE TWENTY!!!) My poor horsey – it’s a good thing he has really thick fur and a warm blanket 🙂

My nutty ideas usually turn into recipe flops. 🙁

Oh, I finally made your pizzert!!!!! Sooooooooo AMAZING!!!!!!!!

1. I tried to leave you a comment, but it wouldn’t let me! Here’s my comment: Awwww you are so freakin sweet! And ohmigosh it’s too funny that you made a gluten-free version, because I *just* made one too, with brown rice flour, that I hope to post soon. Great minds think alike?
      Yours looks so delicious… and I definitely won’t judge you for eating all the veggies. Can’t let them go to waste, now can we? 😉

1. Great minds do think alike! 🙂
        Your comment is amazingly sweet, Katie (just like you!) Reading it made my day!
        That’s so weird that it wouldn’t let you leave a comment. Did the comments not appear at all, or did the problem occur when you were trying submit it?

1. Might be my internet connection. It’s been off and on due to the snow/ice :(.

1. I just changed something on my blog so it might work now (unless it is the internet – my internet has been down some today too 🙁 ) If you get a chance to see if it works, I would really appreciate it! But if you’re too busy, I understand that too! 🙂

5. Albizia says:

Considering the fact that I’m nuts, I sure have a lot of nutty ideas 🙂 . But I don’t have a treadmill so I can’t help with that. I’m not even a runner, I just walk most of the time. This morning however, the temperature was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit (why don’t you people use centigrade??? I already learned lbs and feet but I still can’t get used to this) when I went out for a walk and to avoid freezing I started running. It really helped me avoid crystalization 😀 .

1. Ugh I totally agree with you. Centigrade makes MUCH more sense!!! Why we Americans have to be difficult, I do not know!

6. I watch the strangest things while on the treadmill!! My favorite is cooking shows. I worked out to Julia Child once. Best workout ever. lol

7. donna says:

My nutty idea was to go off to a cold place for college, where I knew no one and was far away from home for the first time. It was awful! I transferred back to a college closer to home this year, and I’m much happier.

Off to check out this new nut butter tab!

8. Amy says:

Love your blog!!
    Where i am we have caught the edge of the storm from Texas. Snows flying everywhere!!! and its -20 🙁
    another treadmill run for me
    To make it more interesting i change the speeds and incline as i go, and fun music is a must!!

1. What did we do before ipods?!

1. Kat says:

Oh, I don’t know – running on a treadmill carrying a big old ghetto boombox on your shoulder WOULD be a handy, time-efficient way of combining cardio and resistance training! 😉 (You might get kicked out of the gym for disturbing the peace though…)

2. Eric Jaffa says:

People used to listen to tapes and analog-radio with headphones.

9. i dread treadmills. i also feel like a hamster and get so distracted by the people around me and the buttons flashing at me on the machine!

10. Tulika says:

Smoothies kind of do sound great despite freezing cold temperatures…I totally understand! Usually when I’m on the treadmill I watch food network or cooking shows. It definitely motivates, hahaha.

11. Lisa C. says:

I hear you on the UGLY!
    I would say it’s ugly everywhere, but I hear Florida is missing out on the rest of the US’s pain. Wish I were there. Or wish I were at your house for some of that gingerbread butter! Maybe not the spinach ice cream, though ;).

12. ahahah my number 1 beat the boredom strategy is INTERVAL training! you are so worried and caught up with changing the speed every minute that time literally FLIES by!

13. Jennifer JCD says:

You already know how cold it gets up here. And yes, I still venture out in -30C/-22F all the time. That’s normal for us. I’ll even run in those temperatures as long as the wind isn’t blowing and the roads have been cleared.

Treadmill, never. I’ve tried, but I just can’t do it. I hate how when I run on a treadmill I get static shocks in my ears from my ear buds – ouch. That, and it’s boring!! The indoor track is a hair better, but I still never go there because it’s still boring. I’d rather run outside in -30C with some scenery and some running buddies.

As for nutty ideas, I’m full of them. First, I run outside in -30C… which probably earns me a hundred nutty points right there. I also try to add nuts to everything – peanut butter in a stir fry or stirred into quinoa is quite yummy. And then there’s the really random stuff my head can generate…

1. Woah, -22? Ok, you’re insane! I wish I had your tolerance for… pain!

14. Ohhh my goodness, it is freezing here!! We have a snow day though, thank goodness:)

Sesame Street keeps me company on the dreadmill, too, girl! Who said it was just for kids anyways?;)

15. I had a smoothie too, it’s one of the only breakfasts that has appealed to me lately!

We’re getting ~24 inches of snow between yesterday and Thursday. 🙁

16. VeggieGirl says:

My nutty ideas aren’t as delicious as yours! 😀

17. Gen says:

Its definitely not cold here! Want me to send some sunshine your way? =D
    One of my nutty ideas:
    “Sure its raining outside, the streets are flooded, and there are tons of people and traffic, but I think I’ll go the bread store to get some nice, fresh bread”.

1. YES PLEASE!!! I’ll pay you in cookies :).

18. Eric Jaffa says:

Do you know how many minutes you were “running in place for over eight miles” this morning?

1. A little over an hour. Hehe I’m fast :).

19. Marina says:

It’s cold here, but not so awful as in the States!
    Yeah, treadmill…well, I think shows on tv can help. And changing speeds and incline

20. Katie says:

I also just drank a smoothie for breakfast, and it’s negative 17 degrees here! Brrr…the temps forced me to hit the treadmill – although I don’t really mind it all that much. 🙂

1. Ick! Hugs!! -5 is bad enough for me. I’d turn into a snowman in -17 :-?.