Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Vegan Red Velvet Pancakes

Heart Healthy.

Or not so much. It’s ironic that—thanks to sugary sweets, fancy dinners, and rich desserts—a day devoted to matters of the heart can be so dangerous for your heart. Google “red velvet” and your results will be saturated with butter, eggs, heavy cream, and enough sugar to sweeten even the Grinch. Pretty, for sure. But healthy, it is not.

Until now.

Flipping through People Magazine last Friday,  I stumbled across a recipe for “Jessica Alba’s favorite red velvet pancakes.” Red velvet pancakes?! I had to create a heart-healthy version.

Mission accomplished. These are like eating cake for breakfast!

Red Velvet Pancakes for One

• 2T flour (I used 20g whole-wheat pastry)
  • 2T plus 1tsp oat bran (20g) (you can sub flour)
  • red food coloring (For alternatives, see: Natural Food Coloring Ideas.)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2T cocoa powder (I use regular, but if you want a more brownie-like taste, try dutch cocoa)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup plus 1T nondairy milk (95g, or more, if needed)
  • optional: If you don’t like the taste of fat-free pancakes, be sure to add 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1-2 T sugar, or 1 stevia packet (I left it out. If using liquid sweetener, decrease milk accordingly.)

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet and mix. Then make your pancakes! (Makes 5-6)

Nutrition Information:

(For the entire batch)

• Calories: 230 (130 if omitting oil)
  • Fat: 14g (or less than 1g if omitting oil)
  • Protein: 3g
  • Fiber: 5g

I topped these with my Healthy Cream Cheese Icing.

Then, really fancy things happened. I dusted the pancakes with cocoa powder and swirled some of the chocolatey fairy dust into the frosting.

If you’re still hungry for pancakes (although I don’t know how that’d be possible, after these!), I have an entire recipe tab devoted to them:

My Pancake Recipes

Question of the Day:

What do you do to be Heart Healthy?

Get regular exercise? Eat healthy foods? Spend quality time with people who make you happy? The heart is an amazing little organ; be sure to treat it right!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Helen says:

I saw those too! Thanks for creating a healthy version!

2. VeggieGirl says:

My eyes just widened – those pancakes look STELLAR!

To be heart healthy, I try to just take care of myself with less stress.

3. OH MY Katie you little GENIUS!! I definitely am looking forward to my Pancake Sunday! I know what I’m having!! 😀

Quite obviously, I eat lots of chocolate to be heart healthy. It makes me happy and happiness=a healthy heart 😉

4. Lisa C. says:

I think my eyes just popped out of my head. This might be my favorite CCK blog post yet. And I will be making these for SURE! It’ll be two days in a row of CCK recipes, since I made your chocolate-raspberry truffles yesterday :).

5. Leslie says:

Wow. No words to describe how beautiful those pancakes look. Why must you tease us? I have no whole wheat flour in the house! I wonder if I could use a mix of coconut flour and brown rice flour.

When (not if) I make these, I’m throwing CHOCOLATE CHIPS into the batter :). And I’ll use your cream cheese frosting recipe as well, because it rocks and because, well, I want to eat cake for breakfast too!

6. Sarahishealthy says:

To stay heart healthy? I read your blog. No, seriously! 😉 Then I can have my treats and still treat my heart. Best of all worlds. I always loved red velvet cake, and I love pancakes, so I’ll try these! But they won’t look as good as yours, I’m certain!

7. I eat healthy and exercise and hope it’s helping my ticker. 🙂 Your pancakes look delicious!!

8. Jess says:

thank you, i’ve been craving these since you mentioned them. they look great, but i’m gonna have to do some more shopping first.

9. I eat healthy and exercise and hope it’s helping my ticker! 🙂 Your pancakes look delicious!!

10. Ooh yummy! I’m really glad someone else enjoys pancakes as much as me. I eat pancakes every morning. The red velvets are some of my favorites! 🙂

11. WOAH!! those look colossal and DERRICIOUS- i can’t believe you get that many pancakes out of such little flour!!! DEAL
    hum… i never really think of my heart—- ALTHOUGH i suppose running and working out helps it a bit! have a wonderful day! i know i will with my RAW CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE IN THE FREEZER 😀

1. I know, right? lol I guess the cocoa powder helps the recipe yield a bigger amount.

12. Why did I just see this post after I ate breakfast?! I totally would have made these! Well, I know what I’m having tomorrow 🙂

13. Jennifer JCD says:

So I guess I’m making pancakes for supper tonight… these look so yummy I need to make them today! If only I could fast forward 8 hours so I could get home and start cooking. Mmmm… Well done. Again.

As for heart healthy, I say yes to all of the above! Living a healthy heart lifestyle is so much fun. (Sad fact of the day: 1 in 6 Americans will die from heart disease. Many cases can be prevented. Get started now!)

14. eatandrun says:

Um yum! Can I make these right now?!

15. Cat says:

Gah, I wish I saw this post before I made my brekkie this morning! This is definitely going to be my leisurely Saturday breakfast for sure!

To keep my heart healthy I avoid processed foods/animal products, try to stay positive and keep stress from creeping into my life and work out about 5-6 days a week. Even when I don’t “formally” work out though I am always moving around doing things!

16. Kathleen says:

Hehe, I eat Vegan Red Velvet Pancakes! 😀

I also like to exercise and eat nutritious foods, and give my body the rest it needs. 🙂

17. Jos says:

I exercise regularly and eat unprocessed food as much as possible.

18. Hannah says:

Ohhh those look so good!

I eat dark chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate 😉
    Running might help out a little too, haha.

19. Erika says:

These look way better than Ihop!

20. Omg I need to make these!! Red velvet is my fave but I rarely eat it because as you mentioned, its not made of the best ingredients. To be heart heatlhy, I eat a healthy well balanced diet and exercise regularly (also keeps me sane!).