Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Raw Thin-Mint Brownies

Ding Dong!

During a certain time of the year, a knock at the door might mean one of two things: Jehovah’s witnesses or girl scouts. If it’s the latter, chances are they haven’t come empty-handed.

Samoas, Tagalongs, Thin Mints.

A few weeks ago, I decided it’d be fun to try and re-create said girl scout cookies, only in a healthier (and raw) form. Currently, I’m brainstorming ideas for how to do the Samoas. But for today, you’re stuck with raw thin mints. In brownie form.

Hope you don’t mind!

Prettier than a picture!

If you saw my thoughts on twitter, please don’t let yesterday’s tweets deter you from trying these raw brownies.

I swear, they taste amazing, despite some opinions on how they look (or what they resemble). You might even notice it’s this the same photo three times in the post; that’s because the other photos looked even worse. The brownies look yummy in real life, but I just could not manage to get a good picture. So when I went to review the photos, my choices were: go back and take another photoshoot or say, “What’s important is the taste” and just post what I had. Lacking the time and desire for more picture-taking, I went with option two. Besides, it gives me an excuse to make these brownies again in the near future so I can provide y’all with some shots that’ll actually do justice to the stellar taste!

As for the floating brownie photo above? I love how—in some professional photographs—everything is blurred except for one part of the photo. Obviously I am not a professional, ‘cause this just looks weird. Oh well, I tried!

Raw Thin-Mint Brownies

• 1 cup walnuts (120g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (230 grams) (I highly recommend Sunmaid, because they’re softer.)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • A few drops pure peppermint extract (depending on how minty you want them… Start with less; you can always add more.)
  • Optional: for even more chocolate flavor, add chocolate chips. Or add cacao nibs.
  • Optional: tiny dash of salt (I always add this and recommend it.)

Directions: Combine  all ingredients, using a food processor. (No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once. But if you use a Magic Bullet, you might want to do it in batches. I’ve not tried this in a regular blender and therefore can’t vouch for it.)Form into brownies or balls or bars… or even cookie-cuttered shapes!

(I don’t have specific nutritional info for this recipe, but the nutrition stats are probably pretty similar to a Larabar.)

You know what would go well with raw thin-mint brownies?

One of my favorite healthy recipes:  Mint-Chocolate-Chip Milkshake.

I’m gearing up for St. Patrick’s Day, can ya tell?

Question of the Day:

Have you ever eaten a Girl Scout Cookie?

And were you ever a girl scout? When I was in girl scouts, you could always tell my cookie order form from all the others: It was the one with an overwhelming number of orders for Samoas (the only ones I liked) and Thin Mints (the only ones my mom liked).

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Stefanie says:

My favorite girl scout cookies were the peanut butter sandwich ones. Im not sure what they are called but they were good. Your mint shake looks so good. The pictures do not look bad. :-)

1. Megisha says:

There called Tag Alongs.

2. Never had a Girl Scout Cookie. Love the sound of those Thin Mint Brownies though. I’ve added mint extract to Hot Cocoa Fudge Babies before and they taste amazing! :)

3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Thin Mints! I am going to have to try these!!!!

4. Girl when I was growing up the ONLY ones we would buy were Thin Mints! They are ten times yummier frozen:)

Thanks for the recipe girlie girl! Time to go make some:)

5. Albizia says:

Girl scout cookies are a treat from the movies I’ve watched as a kid. Never had the chance to try them but I’m quite sure I would love samoas. Chocolate, caramel and coconut together just can’t taste bad.

6. My favorite Girlscout Cookies were the Oatmeal Upsidedowns. They had them for like 2 years and then discontinued them. WTF right???

1. abby says:

they discontinued my favorites too! i don’t remember what they were called, but i do remember i was super sad at the time. but now i’m a vegan anyway, so i guess i’m happy i don’t have to miss them lol :).

7. These sound great, Katie!

8. Hannah says:

I was walking by the square yesterday, and some girl scouts were out and I REALLY wanted something like a thin mint. So I went home and made hot chocolate fudge babies w/ mint. So weird you posted this today, haha!
    There is some ingredient in Samoas that make me sick:( I have no idea what it is. When I was little I used to eat them anyway (because they were my fav) and then I would literally toss cookies, ewwwww. So I found a new favorite….thin mints, then tagalongs!

1. Woah, too cool (about the mint babies, not the tossed cookies lol)! I wonder if we ate them at the same time… :)

9. MY MOM LIKED THIN MINTS TOO! like my whole family went bazonkers and i was a samosa gal :D.. i need to get peppermint extract and then i will make these!!!! bookmarking this page of course– i think my whole bookmarks bar it purely CCK creations… theres really no other explanation to justify that except that you basically ROCK
    SO EXCITED about these I LOVE RAW TREATS 😀

1. You were a samoa girl too? I knew I liked you :).

10. Yum those look good! <3 Mint 😀

11. Gen says:

I’ve made homemade thin mints, so now I obviously have to try out homemade raw thin mints! =D

12. Mint and chocolate go together like peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and chocolate or…well, peanut butter and anything :) Recipe looks great – can’t wait to try!

1. abby says:

or chocolate and coconut! :) :)

13. Jennifer JCD says:

Can’t say I’ve ever had a Girl Scout cookie, but I am amazed at how many flavours there are! Up in Canada we only have two varieties – chocolate mint cookies sold in October and chocolate and vanilla sandwich cookies (combined in one box) sold in March/April. I’m told by one of my American friends that our mint cookies are better than the American ones… 😉 And what are Samoas?? I’ve only heard of it as a country, not a cookie! I think I read a recipe in one of my cookbooks that compared itself to a Samoa cookie.

1. abby says:

it’s chocolate, coconut, and caramel!

14. These look just like my “Raw Chocolate Crinkles!” And they are my favorite!!!! Sooooo good….I’ve had the, every week since december because seriously, I am a HUGE thin mint fan. Back in my sugar days, I would buy a whole case of thin mints for myself, and cherish them slowly….I had like one a day for weeks…..I liked to hoard them :)

1. for the raw samoas, you should just do coconut, dates, and almonds…and then drizzle them with chocolate! Or top with cacao nibs!

1. I’m just a-tryin to get the caramel drizzle down. But otherwise, I think I’ll just use the raw mounds bar base and add that drizzle. Mmmmmm samoas…

2. Melissa says:

Dates, a bit of vanilla, a bit of caramel extract and a tiny bit of salt. Add water until it’s the right consistency. That’s how I make raw caramel to dip my apples in. 😀

2. KarenJ says:

I’m so impressed. I used to be lucky if they lasted two days! They don’t sell them where I live now but I remember carrying cases of them around as a kid. And then there were the years when my kid was a scout….

15. Leslie says:

Are you kidding me??? They look beautiful! I don’t want to know what you think they resemble though. LOL I think I’ll refrain from clicking on that twitter link! 😉

1. abby says:

+1 to this. katie, they look yummy to me!

16. Samoas and Thin Mints are amazing! I’m surprised my dad hasn’t bought any yet, he usually brings them home from work around this time of year! Maybe he’s finally taking my cue and wants to be healthier! I made raw thin mints before, they are delish!

1. haha you’re such a good influence :)

17. Haha I saw your tweets 😉

1. lol, so did I cross the line?

18. I was cracking up at your tweets! Then karma paid me back as I tried to photograph black lentils last night. They tasted good though!

I used to LOVE frozen Thin Mints. Instead of the green smoothie on the side, how about a raw thin mint smoothie?! Perfection. Now I just need a Tagalong recipe…

19. Sherri says:

Mmmm, mint and chocolate, you can’t go wrong!

I’ve had girl scout cookies but never really liked them.

20. Alyson says:

I used to love Samoas! Those were my go-to girl scout cookie… I only settled for the other ones if they were the only ones to offer… Hahahaha. Somoas were my favorite, and thin mints were my mommy’s favorite too! Funny!! 😀
    Yay for a raw makeover. They suit these cookies well! I can’t wait for St. Patty’s day. I think I might make it fun and eat all green foods all day long! 😉 Minus, the chocolate… I might have to make a raw mint brownie milkshake, it’s called for!

1. Word of advice: steer clear of green mashed potatoes! One year, my mom tried to make all our food green, and she put food coloring in mashed potatoes. I dunno if it was too much food coloring or if it was just a subconscious thing, but they were awful!!

21. Becca says:

Katie, I added a comment to the Homemade Cacao Bliss post. I probably should have left it here. I can’t follow instructions! :/

1. haha no worries! sometimes I feel like my instructions are confusing and long-winded!

22. I love thin mints. They are my favorite girl scout cookie — although I haven’t had any in a few years. I used to order them through a neighbor’s daughter but then I moved and forgot about them! They sure are good though.

Other than that I like the regular old shortbread cookies – not sure what those are called. Do you have a shortbread recipe? I hope you do!

1. I don’t :(. But I think plain old coconut butter tastes like shortbread! I’ve been meaning to make a coconut butter cookie. Maybe try using any sugar cookie recipe, decreasing the sugar, and using melted coconut butter in place of the oil?

23. KellyJ says:

I made your raspberry marzipan muffins for 2, but doubled it to 4, so I’d have snacks to take to work :)
    I used graham flour and maple syrup. YUM, YUM, YUM.
    My biggest problem was not eating them all right from the oven!

1. Oooo graham flour sounds fun.
      LOL I always want to eat all the muffins (or cookies!) when they come out of the oven. That’s when they taste best, right? 😉

24. Uhm yum, will try these!
    I’ve never tried scout cookies because scouts are extremely rare breed here in Baconland 😀 could be fun though.

1. Baconland? lol sounds like you live close to me, in Cattle Country. (That’s what the next town over is nicknamed)

25. Charlotte says:

I just had the best discovery last night – chocolate-dipped coconut luna bars taste EXACTLY LIKE SAMOAS. samoas were the only girl scout cookies i liked, and i’m so glad i found a replacement!

1. Oh my gosh, Charlotte, I ate one last night too! They’re my new favorite Luna Bar… and I don’t even like Luna Bars. I’m crazy about these!

2. Melissa says:

Oh, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thinks that!
      I adore those Lunas because they remind me so much of Samoas.
      Just missing the caramel (attn Luna: add caramel, plz)

1. yummy! Sounds so easy and delicious. Is caramel extract raw, though? I wanted to try using butter extract in my cake batter shake… but now I have no idea if extracts are raw or not. Well, in the case of the butter one, I scrapped that idea because I’m almost POSITIVE it’s not healthy. lol all sorts of strange ingredients in that stuff.

2. Melissa says:

I’m guessing not. I wasn’t thinking like a raw foodist! I’d just add the extract and call it “almost raw”… hah. But I’m sorta lazy.

Lucuma powder IS raw, though, and tastes caramelish… or mapley. So I’ve read.
        I still need to find some to try!

26. leashieloo says:

This looks awesome, I can’t wait for your Samoas creation!

27. Is it bad that I hope that Girl Scouts ring our doorbell?? I want those cookies!!! hahaha

Your raw thin mints AND that raw mint milkshake look delicious! Perfect color for St. Patty’s Day. :) Shamrock shake has nothing on you! heh

28. I recently made thin-mint inspired cake balls and they were pretty delicious, I must say so. I definitely need to try your recipe now!

1. woah, mint cakeballs sound insanely good!

29. I used to gear up for St. Pat’s day with green beer, but now that I don’t drink anymore I am much more inclined to gear up with your fabulous green and minty recipes! 😀

30. These look insane – I need to go get mint extract. Where did you get yours from?

1. I actually like peppermint extract. I tried mint, but it tasted weird to me. I buy McCormick pure peppermint extract (make sure it says “pure” not “imitation”). You can find it in the baking aisle (with the vanilla extract) of most regular grocery stores. :)

31. Oh my goodness, delicious!! I have to try these for sure. My mom was always obsessed with thin mint cookies, too. Do you have a measurement for the mint extract? I always end up adding too much by accident. :/

1. lol that’s definitely why I cautioned to start out with less! 😉 When I made these, I didn’t actually measure (*embarrassed*). Just taste test. And I guess I’ll have to be making these again so I can give you a more exact amount, huh? Or if you make ’em first, you can tell me! :)

32. I was never a girl scout, but I WAS jealous of all my friends who were girl scouts.

I looove Girl Scout Cookie Season. AND Thin Mints are my favorite type of GSC. Excellent recipe choice–they look delicious and festive!

33. I was a girl scout and my favorite time of the year was when we sold girl scout cookies! I love the thank you cookies the best!! Also cold thin mints are great :)

34. Caron says:

You’re reading my mind! (Or my stomach.)
    I’ve actually been looking for a vegan thin mint recipe.
    These will undoubtedly be delicious!

35. Woo hoo! A raw thin mint recipe! After I made a mostly raw Samoas-isnpire cookie ball, I’ve been brainstorming ways to make a thin mint version! Thank you!

As for my Samoas, I didn’t get the caramel drizzle down, but the use of carob chips seemed to the trick in terms of flavor ( Either way, they seemed like a pretty close match. That said, I haven’t had Girl Scout cookies in years.

36. ann says:

Do you mind me asking what color eyeshadow you use. It looks great on you in your picture in the sidebar.

1. Awwwwww ann, you are so sweet :). I am so not-picky when it comes to eye shadow lol. I usually just use the free ones my mom gets in the Estee Lauder gift bags. But I do have a few Urban Decay shadows (navy blue is my favorite). They stay on very well :). I think that’s probably what I’m wearing in the photo.

37. shannonmarie says:

You’re chocolate covered in the pic. Ha ha. Love it!

Anyway, I was a girl scout and ate more than my fair share of the cookies. I think my family bought more of the cookies from me than anyone else. Samoas are my fave, too. Here are two links to some of my raw recipes I posted a few years ago (Samoas included): and

I like how simple your recipe is to make. Gotta be a fan of instant gratification :-)

1. Wow. Sometimes there are no words! You are incredible. They even LOOK like real gs cookies. I bet they taste even better. Please please come make me some so I can see for sure? 😉

1. bitt says:

I was going to mention these! I’ve made most of hers. So good!

2. shannonmarie says:

I wish I could bring you some, but I don’t get to travel much (or unbake as much) with the kids these days. If you get a chance, feel free to use the recipes in the posts.

38. Yumm!!! Girl Scout cookies! They’ve already come and gone here, but I definitely won’t be missing out with some homemade treats like these!

39. Three words for you…making these tonight :) Thin mints were always my absolute fave! (not so thin when you eat a whole box…but minor deets!)

40. These look amazing! I love thin mint cookies!

41. Disturbed says:

These look amazing. Do you know of anything I can sub for the walnuts. I am not at a point in my recovery right now where I can eat nuts because they are so calories dense, but I hate missing out on so many of your amazing recipes!
    ((BTW This is “Getting Through It” back to the original name. I am not blogging at the moment, but as soon as I can think of how to work my blog in a positive manner and make it nice and vegan I will get back to it. I might have to just steal your mind :P))

1. I’d say another type of nut, but that wouldn’t help you any, I guess. So I can’t think of anything… maybe almond flour or oats? But the taste would be totally different. If you find something that works, let me know!

1. Disturbed says:

I might have to try the oats-could be interesting.

2. Melissa says:

Hi sweetie.

I’ve used oats before in Katie’s recipes to cut down on the calories (for similar reasons).
        I tend to do 1/4 nuts and 3/4 oats. It works well for me!

Hope you’re doing okay.

3. Disturbed says:

Okay, thank you :)

42. Mmmmm girl scout cookies :) Samoas are my favorite! The girl I used to nanny for is always at the top of the troop with orders! This past year she had over 800. I think when I was young, I only had about 35? Hehe 😀
    Love this recipe! Just need to get my hand on some dates (the food, not the action)

1. I probably sold a lot of boxes… but only because I ate a lot, myself lol!

43. I have Raw Thin Mint Fudge Brownies, too! I loved Thin Mints so much as a kid (well and as an adult) and wanted to create something a bit healthier and GF and also cheaper (b/c I could plow thru a box of G.S. Cookies in warp time..haha!) so about 18 mos ago I got creative and made Raw Vegan Thin Mint Fudge/Brownies…It gave my Vita a run for it’s money, but it sure is good :)

Yours looks wonderful!!

And yes, peppermint extract….start slowly, a little goes a long way (ive over-minted things and it’s ummm…strong stuff!)

44. Haaa I was more of a girl-scout *drop-out*… was a brownie and then transitioned over that bridge thing to be a girl-scout, and then our troop kind of just…died off! So sad! I did, however, always rock at selling (and consuming) girlscout cookies! nom nom nommm The pb ones were my favorite. And thin mints are pretty good frozen!

45. Those look and sound amazing.. you can’t go wrong with walnuts and dates ever

46. Disturbed says:

O, and I meant to ask you.
    Have you ever tried soy nuts? My friend has been wanting me to try them, but I haven’t taken the time to go get any, and I was just wondering if you have ever tried them and if so what you thought of them.

1. Lyza M. says:

They’re kind of bland, but I like them :) They’re salty and crunchy. I’d rather have the real soybeans though, but if you want a quick snack that is high in protein, it’s a great choice :)

47. Shannon says:

omg, LOVE. and this is one shamrock shake i’ll happily enjoy :)

48. Lauren says:

Somoas & Thin Mints were my favorites!

49. Chocolate and mint my all time fav’s!

50. Lisa says:

Silly girl! They look beautiful, as always :)

51. Who hasn’t had a girl scout cookie! tagalongs are my fav:)

52. Shannon says:

If you figure out how to do Somoas I will love you forever! They’re definitely my favorite, but I don’t even remember the last time I had one.

53. Gracie says:

Okay so I actually JUST posted about how I don’t like minty foods….but then I come across this. I’ve gotta say, your Thin Mint Brownies look seriously good :) And I can just nix the peppermint extract, right?!

Girl, you are just *too good* when it comes to make mouth-watering vegan treats. One of the many reasons I love you so! :)

54. Jess says:

I made thin mints this week too, not vegan, but definitely tasty:)

55. Yesterday a girl in my class was nibbling away throughout the whole class some ginger snaps and samoas i think?! I wasn’t hungry, but she ate it so yummily that I wanted to ask her for one haha 😛

56. Hannah says:

This is so great!! My mom just brought the cookies my 9 year old sister sold to my house here at college up today. Unfortunately I don’t eat them (they’re never as good/healthy as we remember) but now I can make my own healthy version of the classic favorite!! by the way, that mint smoothie looks DIVINE!!
    still counting the days until I can go home on spring break and cook up all your recipes : )
    I made your banana butter though in the blender that I may or may not have taken from our kitchenette. What is the consistency supposed to be? mine is a bit watery…

57. You keep reminding me that I need to use my peppermint extract I bought a few months ago for my hot cocoa. These look fantastic!

58. Lyza M. says:

LOL!! :) I love the poo joke! Of course, I tend to cross the line a lot with my humor, well, in writing anyway, which is why I don’t have a blog 😛

That floating brownie is HILARIOUS!!! LOL. This is exactly why I love your blog. However, the other photos are beautifully clear. I want a camera like that!

Thin mints were my favorite girl scout cookie as a little girl, even though I’m more partial to peanut butter patties now, the thin mints bring back the greatest memories :) It’s nice to have something reminiscent of that in vegan form :) How fun!

1. The camera is actually just ok… it’s photoshop that’s amazing!! And I was so excited to find out that if you’re a student or teacher, you can get it for 80% off! (A huge deal, because it’s regularly $699. Yikes!)

59. Hooray!
    Any version of a Fudge Baby is worth doing :-)
    I’ve never heard of samoas OR tagalongs – but I think I want them!

60. I was a Girl Scout until I was 11 :) I used to hate coconut, so I’ve never tried the Samoas- I’m a Tagalong gal :)

61. Lisa says:

i was a girl scout once! looooooong time ago. my fav cookie was the do-si-does! I think that was it.. the pb sandwich ones. mmm! (of course i liked that one, it had PB in it!!)

62. These look amazing! As I’ve just switched to a no processed sugar lifestyle, I’ve been perusing your recipes. Thank you for your creativity.

1. I’m so glad you found me, Sarah :).

63. I used to be a Girl Scout! We would get the cookies all the time. My favorite ones were the wheel shaped ones with the chocolate drizzle. :)

How many Thin Mints does this make? How many would you say is a serving?

1. hmmm… I guess it depends on the size. You can roll them into whatever shape/size you wish :).

1. Okie Dokie. Thanks! :)

64. BroccoliHut says:

Although I was never a Girl Scout, I do have a healthy appreciation for those cookies–remember when I made oatmeal in every single Girl Scout cookie flavor?

65. Lauren says:

I was a girl scout back in the day and come cookie season, our living room was always filled with cookies because my mom sold them to all her coworkers at the hospital! I used to love the peanut butter filled ones (tagalongs?) but now I love frozen thin mints and reallyyyyy love samoas!

66. Nice job getting your depth of field on in that picture. macro lense?

1. lol nope, blur tool with photoshop. I am so lousy with cameras! I’m embarrassed to say I use the automatic; haven’t mastered f stop, aperture, and all those terms yet. Someday!

67. Emily says:

I loved samoas! I just tried to make healthy vegan caramel sauce. The non vegan one had sugar, butter and cream so I used agave, coconut butter and unsweetened almond milk. The flavor was very yummy (it had a hint of toasted coconut!) but it was WAY too sweet. It’ll be good diluted in a milkshake or used in small amounts. Maybe raw sugar would be less sweet? Let me know if you have any luck!

1. Deal… and you let me know if you have any luck! :)

68. Samoas were always my favorite girl scout cookie, cant wait to see your recreation :)

69. These look to die for! I love how creative you are with this stuff! Thin mints, especially frozen are my favorite. They used to have a low-fat lemon one that was covered in powdered sugar…those were amazing!

70. Cupcake Kat says:

Oh Katie you’re crazy!
    For what its worth I think these brownies are delicious. You’re photography skills are great!
    I’ve honestly never had a Girl Scout cookie

71. Jess says:

I’m typically not picky with my sweet tooth, so I “loved/liked” everything, well almost everything (didn’t really care for the chocolate creme sandwich cookies one year (the only things i really don’t care for are marizpan and black licorice, off hand). As a girl scout, I always made sure to buy some cookies to eat, and of course, sell the most in my troop. “cept when we were selling, samoas were called caramel delights/delites, and tagalongs were called peanut butter patties. i’ll be honest though, and say i hadn”t had a caramel delite until i got older, and was surprised by how good they are. too bad they’re a fortune now. i might try this new recipe soon

72. I am so excited to try these!!

73. Thin Mints are like a drug to me! I.just.can’t.stop! Hence the reason I don’t buy them…well, that and they are severely overpriced! :-/

I was a girl scout in kindergarten and first grade! Loved it! I still have my little sash thingy!

74. yes! I loved tagalongs! Now I can’t eat them, but there are so many chocolate pb recipes I can eat:)

75. carolinebee says:

haha i LOVE your added touch of green sprinkles, so profesh!! As if to suggest a subtle hint: “They’re mint ok?!” 😀 I just went to a Clippers game at home and saw the GS slangin’ cookies there!! LOL great idea!

76. Angel says:

Just made these. These ROCK! My husband (who hates all healthy food) and my kids ADORED these.

1. Ooooo I’m so so excited you made them, Angel! :)

77. I was a Girl Scout and a heck of a saleswoman. I used to sell the heck out of some cookies! Love them all!

78. Wow – these look delicious and very appropriate for this time of year! I love minty things :) My husband bought some Thin Mints last week (while I was out of town, of course) but I’m sure these are much healthier!

79. HOLY YUM!!! Thank you for sharing! I just bought NOW Foods Peppermint Extract… this would be PERRRRFECT!!!!

80. Abby says:

Katie, I’ve been following your website for a longgg time and I somehow only just came across this! I’ve been wondering what to do with my peppermint extract for so long. I made a batch and ate two bars, hehehe. But I controlled myself and wrapped the rest up to give away to my Physics teacher (who’s an anti-processed sugar nut) and my friends c: They were WAYYYY too delicious, though. Thanks so much! ♥

81. Patricia says:

Remember us Weight Watchers…any idea about the nutritional values???? sound so good. I love your goodies.

1. Hi Patricia,
      It talks about the nutritional stats in the post :).

82. Jennifer says:

Who knew dates could taste soooo yummy!!!!!

83. Heather says:

Sounds so yummy! So I tried making some of the treats on here I think it was called pb babies and I used my food processor. And it wasn’t able to puree the mixture I’m just wondering do you usually use a magic bullet or a food processor to make your treats and what brand/model specifically? Thx!!

1. For the smaller recipes, I’ll use a Magic bullet (the recipes with just 1/4 cup dates). But for bigger, I use the Cuisinart. I think it’s a 10-cup, but it is so old it doesn’t have a model number! It still works really well!

84. VeganGod says:

These look great and are nearly the same recipe as the Bliss Balls I make – minus the mint :)
    Same recipe, then roll into balls and coat in coconut. Yummy.
    I might just try them with mint now :)

85. Michelle K says:

OH. MY. GOD!! I just made these in my VitaMix (it grumbled a bit) and was eating the dough right out of the container. These are truly to die for. My husband told me I should take a picture and send it to you, but yours look better. :) No chunks of nuts left, everything blended into a smoooooooth dough. I used pecans instead of walnuts since the walnuts had gone rancid. Added bittersweet chocolate chips, and 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract which seemed to give it just the right amount of mintiness. When I was able to stop myself from being a total piglet, I pattied them into sizes and shapes about the size of a small peppermint patty and they are sitting in the freezer…Probably be perfect for those late night cravings.

Then I made your mint shake…used coconut milk and chocolate almond milk, three good-sized handfuls of fresh spinach, two large bananas, two tablespoons of cocoa, 1/4 tsp of mint extract and a handful of bittersweet chocolate chips. Didn’t turn that pretty shade of green yours did, but then with chocolate, what can I expect?

Thank-you for those recipes. MmmmMmmm!

1. lol if you used chocolate milk, I think it sounds… WAY prettier than mine ;).

1. Michelle says:

I took one out of the freezer today…it was even better than when freshly made. It was chewy like candy and oh so yummy!

86. Sarah says:

I made a trip to the store specifically for these ingredients today and they came out PERFECT! I only used 1 tiny drop of peppermint and they were great. That stuff is potent!

87. christine says:

Yummy yummy. I loved these and so did my family. Two things I thought of when making them would be to add a scoop of protein powder and/or roll them in chocolate protein powder like a truffle. I did roll them in the powder and they were awesome too. Great recipe :)

88. Deb says:

I have all the ingredients…except the walnuts…do you think raw brazil nuts would substitute?

1. sorry, I haven’t tried it so I can’t say…

89. shelley says:

I made something close to these tonight – using cashews instead of walnuts. They are so tasty!
    Thank you so much for the inspiration.

90. Terra says:

What a fun recipe!!! They look so delicious:-) Take care, Terra

91. Kasey says:

I made these last night and followed the recipe exactly but they did not hold together. No matter how much I tried to form them in balls, they just crumbled. Any idea how to fix that? Aside from that the flavors were spot on and delicious. I still ate it of course, but made a huge mess and they did not turn out pretty like yours. Any suggestions??

1. I HIGHLY recommend sunmaid dates. They are much softer!

2. Sarah says:

You didn’t blend them long enough. I don’t use sunmaid and they turn out fine as long I blend them to death. If you still have a problem add a little more vanilla to wet it a bit.

92. Taylor says:

Just made these. Soo good! I would not recommend using a blender though. Mine overheated and I have a pretty powerful blender. I will definitely be making these a food processor!

93. KarenJ says:

I’d love to try this but I have a genetic(based on an informal family poll) aversion to coconut. Any ideas? I do use artificial sweeteners or a mix with part sugar when I’m baking because I’m diabetic since so mnay baked goods depend on sugar to brown, among other things. Drink of choice is usually waater with an occasional foray into artificially sweetened iced tea or fruit pulp sodas.

1. I’m confused… there’s no coconut in the recipe.

1. KarenJ says:

Whoops, my bad! I started with that recipe and kept linking into others that were mentioned. I think it might have been the fudge babies with coconut oil but since i can’t seem to find the recipe…Do you have a search option? Can’t find one.

Sorry for the confusion!

2. I do! It’s at the top-right, under the first foodbuzz ad. Depending on your browser, it might be pretty small. It’s big on my browser, but I know things look different on others. But it’s there! :)

94. Victoria says:

SO YUMMY…and super easy on the making and clean-up! I made larabar-esque shapes out of them and put them in the fridge for an easy weekday snack. I’m a mint-aholic so I added a lot more mint extract. I even garnished them with some mint leaves :]
    They worked up perfectly in my magic bullet! Small batches are good, like you recommended. i then hand-mixed the batches in one big bowl to make sure everything was evenly distributed. Awesome!

95. Cierra says:

I made these last night! I didn’t realize that I would be 1/3 cup short of dates, so I improvised and used some black beans! I ended up blending it a little too much, but in the end, I balled them up, stuck them on toothpicks, and then dipped them in melted chocolate with mint extract. After a few hours of freezing they were amaaaazing! not as healthy as yours though, I guess. Haha :(

I love all of your recipes. They make me happy and help me to not feel deprived of sweets. :)

96. Sarah says:

I just made these (again! Love them) but this time I added rum extract instead of peppermint. I have amazing, clean, RUM BALLS! So good!

97. zoe says:

At some time between 1992 and 1999 the Girl Scouts came out with a chocolate chip cookie that I really do think had crack in it. I ate them by the boxful. I know – you think I mean I ate a lot of them. No, I ate them A BOX AT A TIME. My boss’ little girls were Girl Scouts and I spent a hefty portion of my salary buying all the boxes they could lay their hands on. I think they had to get unsold boxes from other parents to satisfy my habit.

Changing the subject, last week I made German Chocolate Fudge Babies to take to work. People were still asking for them the next day (they ran out pretty quickly). This time I’m prepared: I’ve made mint chocolate chocolate chip, samoas with chocolate chips, peanut butter and chocolate chip, and gingerbread. I too used cashews in all, plus a small amount of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in the mint (just what I had on hand). I have to serve as quality assurance as well as cook so I tried them all, and they are without a doubt AMAZING. The mint ones are my faves, but I have always had a soft spot for mint with chocolate. Has anyone tried stem ginger and chocolate? What about orange or lemon extract instead of mint? So many things go great with chocolate. Anyway, I’m loving these recipes (last week I also made the genius blondies – best use of chickpeas ever, even better than roasted – and Texas Caviar with tortilla chips, I added the juice of one lime). And your Photoshop skills rock!!!

98. Bella says:

I have a weakness for girl scout cookies…samoas and thin mints are my absolute favorite!! YUMM

99. courtney says:

Can these date bars be made in batches and frozen? Excited to try and use as a lunchbox treat for my kiddos.

100. trajayjay says:

I just bought a 4 oz container of cacao nibs, thinking they’d taste like chocolate, but they taste kind of like rum extract, kind of gross. Is there any way I can neutralize the pungent taste.

101. AMANDA says:

Can you use cashews instead of walnuts for this recipe? have you tried any other nut?

1. I haven’t tried… but I don’t see why not!

102. Madison says:

I made these today, but they came out extremely chalky, any suggestions?

1. Chalky? I guess I am confused… what ingredient would make them chalky? 😕

1. Madison says:

I have added more dates and it seems to be much better now. I added a few macadamia nuts (trying to use them up– whoops) and I think that messed with the flavor. I have added more dates and I think it has done the trick. Definitely a good twist on Thin Mints (I love chocolate and mint). Thanks for the recipe. :)

103. Stephanie says:

Umm… yeah. I just stumbles upon your site here, realized that I had everything i needed in the house, and made them in under 5 minutes! Oh man. These are SO good. Thank you, thank you! I subbed walnuts for cashews, and rolled them into balls (which look a little more fun, although the bar form is fine!). You are awesome.

104. Katie Mitchell says:

Would prunes work instead of dates?