An Important Announcement

Today, I need to use my blog voice for a more important message than desserts or recipes.

More important than chocolate?!?

Yes, yes. Some things are. Hard to believe, but it’s true.

I grew up in Japan.

The Japanese culture greatly impacted my life. My babysitter, my father’s sweet secretary, the 100-year-old sensei (teacher) from whom I learned origami… these people helped shape who I am today.

As a whole, the Japanese are some of the kindest, most well-mannered people you’d ever want to meet. So their current situation is heartbreaking. I just keep thinking, “Why did it have to happen to such wonderful people?” (Not that I wouldn’t think the same thing if the devastation occurred elsewhere. You don’t want something like that to happen anywhere.)

Every time I watch or read about what’s going on in Japan, I feel useless. I’ve already donated money, but I’m nowhere near as wealthy as Britney Spears (who reportedly gave millions to the country). Isn’t there another way I can help? Then I realized…

Duh, Katie! Your blog!

I have a voice… but what good is having a voice if you don’t use it to help? So that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to use my blog to ask y’all to help me help them. I know a lot of you feel exactly as I do: “I’ve already given money. What else can I do?” What else can you do?

meeating

You can eat!
We are food bloggers (and readers), after all. Winking smile

“Help Japan” Blogger Bake Sale

On Tuesday, April 5th, I’ll host a blogger bake sale to benefit the Red Cross. If you’ve never participated in a blog bake sale before, here’s a little about how it works: bloggers (or readers) offer to donate a food item (just like in a regular bake sale) and people will bid on these items. The highest bidders will make a donation to red cross (more on how to do this later), and the baker will ship the actual food to the winner.

Ways you can help:

1. Donate a vegan baked good
  2. Bid on a baked good, during the virtual bake sale (April 5th)

What do you think?

If you’d like to donate a baked good, please send me an email with the name of the food, a photo, and where you’ll be willing to ship, by this Saturday (April 2nd). (Also, because this is a vegan blog, all items must be vegan. They don’t need to actually be baked, though. Raw treats are welcome!)

I’ll donate something too: These Fudge Babies.

1. Aisatsana says:

This is a great idea! I may be e-mailing you later with something to offer. 🙂 BTW, I assume you mean April 5th, right?

1. Yikes! Thanks for catching that! Yes, April 5th :).

2. Katie this is sooo amazing! You are such a wonderful, giving person. Can’t wait to see all the delicious goodies and bid!

3. Crafty lil vegan says:

What a fabulous idea! I’d love to help out, but i live in England! Could i donate something to the British readers perhaps? x

1. Yes! That would be WONDERFUL!

1. YEAH! can we have a british section in this bake sale? that would be AWESOME!! I’ll email you ASAP- gotta figure out what to make!

1. AAAH that would be AWESOME!! We can never usually bid on or help out in these things!! I’d LOVE to donate and bid!!

Katie, this is the best idea EVER and you are THE most caring and sweet person!! Love 🙂

2. Yes! I don’t see why non-US people should be left out. I mean, y’all are awesome, right? 😉

Loooove your cookie submission!!

1. I was just thinking the same thing – we’ll be the UK franchise!

2. Emma says:

I’m in! UK gals…..lets get baking!!! 🙂

2. I’m definitely up for bidding on some yummy UK vegan treats! =D

4. Jennifer JCD says:

Japan’s situation is terribly heartbreaking. Yet, the sweet stories of people helping each other and a noticeable lack of rioting and looting makes me smile. These people are just so genuine, even in the wake of tragedy. We could all learn from them.

The blog bake sale sounds wonderful, Katie. Like you, I’ve been trying to find more ways to help. I will be on holiday for the actual sale date but could I still donate something? Not sure if that’s allowed or not. Let me know.

1. Yes, definitely. As long as you can ship it to the winner within a week or so of the sale date (or if you’ll be away for a long time, I can always put a disclaimer under your photo that says when you’ll be able to ship it).

5. YOUR amazing katie! I would love to participate! I need to think of something yummy to do! 🙂

6. Freya says:

Fab idea!
    Did Britney really donate 64MILLION?? I heard Sandra Bullock donated about 1million, but SIXTY FOUR? Woah – whole new respect for Brit!

1. Oops lol I’d meant to confirm that before I posted. I heard it as a rumor… but I can’t seem to confirm it from a reliable source, so I changed my post. But no matter how many million she donated, I’m with you: I’ll never say another bad word about the girl!

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Super! One batch of (homemade) chocolate chip granola bars shall be my contribution. There’s nothing healthy in them, but they taste really good. And they’ll be 100% dairy, egg, and nut-free for anyone concerned with food allergies.

I could (also) make snowy Shreddies – chocolate coated Shreddies dusted with powdered sugar; oatmeal raisin cookies; and spritz cookies. I could even donate some non-food items like Arbonne vegan body butters and sugar scrubs. Lots of stuff. I really want to help!

I’ll be back on the 10th and could bake these and get everything out by the 13th or 14th? Let me know how to make the formal submission and if you need a photo or anything.

1. Hey JCD, Just send me an email at chocolatecoveredkatie@msn.com, with the name of the item (or items), a photo, and where you’ll be willing to ship to. (If you only want to ship within Canada, that’s totally fine!)

7. What an awesome idea I will definitely donate a baked good ill have to think of what though 🙂

8. Mia says:

This is a great idea! You are such a wonderful person and inspire me so much. I am so happy to have found your blog! Can’t wait for the bake sale!

9. Megan says:

I’m so excited to bid! And I’ll definitely spread the word around!!! 🙂

10. Great idea!! I will definitely spread the word!! 🙂

11. Ash says:

Wonderful idea, Katie!

I’d love to be able to help! Just have to think of what I could donate!

12. This is so cool Katie! I want to be a part of it… I’ll just have to decide what to make. Maybe my carrot cake bites? 😛

1. Hahaha well I can vouch for their awesomeness!

13. Gen says:

aaaaw what an awesome idea!!!

14. Lisa says:

OMG 20,000 every day? I don’t get that in a … month? Please, can you share some tips on getting a popular blog? Thanks!

15. You said march 5th… I assume you mean april? or perhaps farther out? and i totes want to be part of it! 🙂

16. (let me clarify… in the ways you can help you wrote march 5th, on oen of them you wrote it fine 🙂 )

1. Thank you, Nicole! I dunno where my head is, some days! Yes, it means April. 🙂

17. Sarahishealthy says:

I will tweet this!
    🙂

18. Lisa says:

this sounds like a great idea! I was going to offer peanut butter cookies, but they have egg in them :[
    perhaps i can bid on something april 5th, instead!

1. Erika says:

You can make vegan pb cookies easily. Just sub egg replacer or extra baking powder for the eggs! 🙂 But if you don’t want to, bidding is awesome as well. That’s how I’ll be supporting the cause too!

1. Lisa says:

true! Where can I buy this egg replacer? at any grocery store?

1. Hey Miss Lisa! Do not worry if you don’t want to veganize the cookies… you can still bid :). Or google “vegan peanut butter cookies” for a recipe if you want to bake. I don’t want you to have to make a special trip to buy egg replacer!
          (But just in case, you can find Ener G Egg Replacer at a store like Whole Foods, in the baking aisle.)

1. Lisa says:

thanks! Ill take a look and email you by Thursday If I can!! 🙂

2. Gary says:

If you do buy the egg replacer, know that it will last months (maybe longer, I’ve never tried) if you keep it tightly sealed.

FYI, here’s a more general guide to replacing eggs in baking: http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakesale/vbs-vegan-baking-tips.html

I also second Katie’s idea to google a recipe for vegan peanut butter cookies. You will find some awesome ones! 🙂

3. bubble says:

It never occurred to me that Ener G might go bad. But basically, I used the same box for about two and a half years with no problems. I imagine that in a damp environment it might clump though (it has a lot of starch in it).

4. LOL I used mine way past expiration too! And I’m still here ;).

19. Emily says:

I’m excited to bid!!!! Oh my gosh, what a great way to help Japan. And by the way, your photos are SO CUTE! Love them!

20. s says:

great idea cck!
    i will have to test-bake something before i can send a photo… i’ll get back to you on this one 😉