Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

An Important Announcement

Today, I need to use my blog voice for a more important message than desserts or recipes.

More important than chocolate?!?

Yes, yes. Some things are. Hard to believe, but it’s true.

I grew up in Japan.

The Japanese culture greatly impacted my life. My babysitter, my father’s sweet secretary, the 100-year-old sensei (teacher) from whom I learned origami… these people helped shape who I am today.

As a whole, the Japanese are some of the kindest, most well-mannered people you’d ever want to meet. So their current situation is heartbreaking. I just keep thinking, “Why did it have to happen to such wonderful people?” (Not that I wouldn’t think the same thing if the devastation occurred elsewhere. You don’t want something like that to happen anywhere.)

Every time I watch or read about what’s going on in Japan, I feel useless. I’ve already donated money, but I’m nowhere near as wealthy as Britney Spears (who reportedly gave millions to the country). Isn’t there another way I can help? Then I realized…

Duh, Katie! Your blog!

I have a voice… but what good is having a voice if you don’t use it to help? So that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to use my blog to ask y’all to help me help them. I know a lot of you feel exactly as I do: “I’ve already given money. What else can I do?” What else can you do?

You can eat!
We are food bloggers (and readers), after all. Winking smile

“Help Japan” Blogger Bake Sale

On Tuesday, April 5th, I’ll host a blogger bake sale to benefit the Red Cross. If you’ve never participated in a blog bake sale before, here’s a little about how it works: bloggers (or readers) offer to donate a food item (just like in a regular bake sale) and people will bid on these items. The highest bidders will make a donation to red cross (more on how to do this later), and the baker will ship the actual food to the winner.

Ways you can help:

1. Donate a vegan baked good
  2. Bid on a baked good, during the virtual bake sale (April 5th)

What do you think?

If you’d like to donate a baked good, please send me an email with the name of the food, a photo, and where you’ll be willing to ship, by this Saturday (April 2nd). (Also, because this is a vegan blog, all items must be vegan. They don’t need to actually be baked, though. Raw treats are welcome!)

I’ll donate something too: These Fudge Babies.

1. Katie great idea – I’m glad you are using your blog in this way! I’m sure you’ll have a great assortment of treats. I can’t wait to bid!

2. Aisatsana says:

This is a great idea! I may be e-mailing you later with something to offer. :) BTW, I assume you mean April 5th, right?

1. Yikes! Thanks for catching that! Yes, April 5th :).

3. Thank you for doing this! I’ve also wished I could do more than donate. I look forward to the bake sale!

4. Yay! I am so excited for this :) I can’t wait!!!

5. Katie this is sooo amazing! You are such a wonderful, giving person. Can’t wait to see all the delicious goodies and bid!

6. Crafty lil vegan says:

What a fabulous idea! I’d love to help out, but i live in England! Could i donate something to the British readers perhaps? x

1. Yes! That would be WONDERFUL!

1. YEAH! can we have a british section in this bake sale? that would be AWESOME!! I’ll email you ASAP- gotta figure out what to make!

2. AAAH that would be AWESOME!! We can never usually bid on or help out in these things!! I’d LOVE to donate and bid!!

Katie, this is the best idea EVER and you are THE most caring and sweet person!! Love :)

3. Yes! I don’t see why non-US people should be left out. I mean, y’all are awesome, right? 😉

Loooove your cookie submission!!

4. I was just thinking the same thing – we’ll be the UK franchise!

5. Emma says:

I’m in! UK gals…..lets get baking!!! :-)

2. I’m definitely up for bidding on some yummy UK vegan treats! =D

7. Jennifer JCD says:

Japan’s situation is terribly heartbreaking. Yet, the sweet stories of people helping each other and a noticeable lack of rioting and looting makes me smile. These people are just so genuine, even in the wake of tragedy. We could all learn from them.

The blog bake sale sounds wonderful, Katie. Like you, I’ve been trying to find more ways to help. I will be on holiday for the actual sale date but could I still donate something? Not sure if that’s allowed or not. Let me know.

1. Yes, definitely. As long as you can ship it to the winner within a week or so of the sale date (or if you’ll be away for a long time, I can always put a disclaimer under your photo that says when you’ll be able to ship it).

8. YOUR amazing katie! I would love to participate! I need to think of something yummy to do! :)

9. Freya says:

Fab idea!
    Did Britney really donate 64MILLION?? I heard Sandra Bullock donated about 1million, but SIXTY FOUR? Woah – whole new respect for Brit!

1. Oops lol I’d meant to confirm that before I posted. I heard it as a rumor… but I can’t seem to confirm it from a reliable source, so I changed my post. But no matter how many million she donated, I’m with you: I’ll never say another bad word about the girl!

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Super! One batch of (homemade) chocolate chip granola bars shall be my contribution. There’s nothing healthy in them, but they taste really good. And they’ll be 100% dairy, egg, and nut-free for anyone concerned with food allergies.

I could (also) make snowy Shreddies – chocolate coated Shreddies dusted with powdered sugar; oatmeal raisin cookies; and spritz cookies. I could even donate some non-food items like Arbonne vegan body butters and sugar scrubs. Lots of stuff. I really want to help!

I’ll be back on the 10th and could bake these and get everything out by the 13th or 14th? Let me know how to make the formal submission and if you need a photo or anything.

2. Hey JCD, Just send me an email at, with the name of the item (or items), a photo, and where you’ll be willing to ship to. (If you only want to ship within Canada, that’s totally fine!)

10. you had me at “help”!

does the donated good need to be vegan?

11. What an awesome idea I will definitely donate a baked good ill have to think of what though :)

12. Mia says:

This is a great idea! You are such a wonderful person and inspire me so much. I am so happy to have found your blog! Can’t wait for the bake sale!

13. Kiersten says:

You are so awesome Katie. I don’t know if I’ll have time to contribute a baked good, but I’ll definitely help you spread the word.

14. Megan says:

I’m so excited to bid! And I’ll definitely spread the word around!!! :)

15. Great idea!! I will definitely spread the word!! :)

16. Ash says:

Wonderful idea, Katie!

I’d love to be able to help! Just have to think of what I could donate!

17. This is so cool Katie! I want to be a part of it… I’ll just have to decide what to make. Maybe my carrot cake bites? 😛

1. Hahaha well I can vouch for their awesomeness!

18. Gen says:

aaaaw what an awesome idea!!!

19. Lisa says:

OMG 20,000 every day? I don’t get that in a … month? Please, can you share some tips on getting a popular blog? Thanks!

20. You said march 5th… I assume you mean april? or perhaps farther out? and i totes want to be part of it! :)

21. (let me clarify… in the ways you can help you wrote march 5th, on oen of them you wrote it fine :) )

1. Thank you, Nicole! I dunno where my head is, some days! Yes, it means April. :)

22. Serena says:

This is an *amazing* idea, Katie. :) I’m really excited for this bake sale!

23. Sarahishealthy says:

I will tweet this!

24. Lisa says:

this sounds like a great idea! I was going to offer peanut butter cookies, but they have egg in them :[
    perhaps i can bid on something april 5th, instead!

1. Erika says:

You can make vegan pb cookies easily. Just sub egg replacer or extra baking powder for the eggs! :) But if you don’t want to, bidding is awesome as well. That’s how I’ll be supporting the cause too!

1. Lisa says:

true! Where can I buy this egg replacer? at any grocery store?

2. Hey Miss Lisa! Do not worry if you don’t want to veganize the cookies… you can still bid :). Or google “vegan peanut butter cookies” for a recipe if you want to bake. I don’t want you to have to make a special trip to buy egg replacer!
        (But just in case, you can find Ener G Egg Replacer at a store like Whole Foods, in the baking aisle.)

3. Lisa says:

thanks! Ill take a look and email you by Thursday If I can!! :)

4. Gary says:

If you do buy the egg replacer, know that it will last months (maybe longer, I’ve never tried) if you keep it tightly sealed.

FYI, here’s a more general guide to replacing eggs in baking:

I also second Katie’s idea to google a recipe for vegan peanut butter cookies. You will find some awesome ones! :)

5. bubble says:

It never occurred to me that Ener G might go bad. But basically, I used the same box for about two and a half years with no problems. I imagine that in a damp environment it might clump though (it has a lot of starch in it).

6. LOL I used mine way past expiration too! And I’m still here ;).

25. Emily says:

I’m excited to bid!!!! Oh my gosh, what a great way to help Japan. And by the way, your photos are SO CUTE! Love them!

26. s says:

great idea cck!
    i will have to test-bake something before i can send a photo… i’ll get back to you on this one 😉

27. Anonymous says:

Just wanted to let you know how awesome I think this is. I can only imagine how much work is going to go into putting this whole thing together, emailing people and linking and keeping up with the bids. You are a SWEETHEART for doing this!
    The world needs more people like you.
    I will be telling everyone I know, both in the blogworld and in real life. I only wish I had a twitter account, but I CAN post to my facebook wall :).

1. Erika says:

28. What an awesome idea, Katie! I love that your using your influence to make a real difference!

I’m not used to thinking about what I could make that’s vegan…Hmmmmm, let me get back to you while I ponder what I could make!

29. You rock! Thanks for using your blog voice! And I would love to donate an item. Will be sending you an email a little later. :)

30. Debra says:

Great idea!! I love your blog!
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

31. Great idea! I cook but don’t bake, so while I can’t donate a baked item, I sure can bid on some 😉 And I will. I’ll also tweet this out.

1. Thank you SO SO much for tweeting, JL! Seriously, it means so much to me that there are sweet people in the world like you who care enough to spread the word!

32. Leslie says:

I’ll be bidding for sure! So excited to see all the vegan goodies :).

33. Brandi says:

What a great idea! I may be sending you an e-mail with my baked treats, if not i’ll try and bid!

34. Such a great idea Katie! I am for sure going to participate. I’ll have to think of what I’m going to donate and then I’ll email you!

35. Laura says:

I love this idea. I’m going to donate a batch of vegan fudge.

1. Sarah C. says:

Fudge? Want!

36. Iris says:

Great idea! I’ll think if I can come up with something that will ship well, and if not, I’ll definitely be bidding! Thanks for coming up with a way that we can all help and feel like we’re doing something!

1. Thank you, thank you! Your snickerdoodles look amazing! And since they’re gluten-free, I think they’ll probably be one of the most popular treats!

37. It really is hard not to feel useless, even for those of us who were here in Japan during the quake itself. Knowing your connections to the country I figured you’d have something brewing, and I am glad you decided to use your voice to do something to help out Japan. The bake sale is a fantastic idea! I doubt that I will be able to participate myself due to the expense of shipping to/from Japan, but I will be cheering from the sidelines and spreading the word.

If it’s okay, I’d like to add a link to this from my blog, where I’ve written a bit about my own experiences with the whole quake situation.

1. Oh Maya, that would be wonderful. I can’t even imagine how much harder it must be to see the devastation first-hand (or at least be so close to it) and not be able to do anything about it :(.

1. Thankfully, Tokyo was not directly affected by the damage. We got quite a shaking, and there was mass confusion directly afterwards as millions of people tried to get home with no public transportation running, but that was the worst of it from the earthquake itself.

Things are still very bizarre here three weeks on due to the power shortages and ongoing problems with the nuclear power plant. Trains are still running reduced schedules, targeted panic buying means certain things are hard to get (last week it was bread and milk, this week it’s been bottled water and toilet paper), and many of us are suffering from vertigo from the aftershocks (if you haven’t seen it yet check this out:

But no one seems to mind the inconveniences too much. There is a vey palpable sense of thankfulness for getting off so easily and genuine concern for what is happening up north. Every store has donation boxes & dimmed lighting, and I think everyone here is determined to do what we can to get through this together. It’s pretty amazing, really…

Sorry for rambling on at you about this.. but it’s been all we’ve been living and breathing for the last three weeks! :(

38. Great idea Katie! I lived in Japan for a couple months to Japan is very close to my heart too

39. Katie this is an awesome idea…and thank you so much for bringing awareness and doing a great thing!

I knew you grew up in Japan but didn’t know much of the details so thanks for sharing. I love the little Katie w/ her chopsticks picture!

And I am going to try to donate something…I will hopefully be sending you an email :)

1. Sarah C. says:

I will be bidding on WHATEVER you make. I’m always eyeing your food!

40. Kelli says:

Although I’ll be out of town during the sale, I’ll be happy to spread the word as much as I can. I know plenty of people in real life as well as online who’d be excited to help. Thanks for such a thoughtful idea, Katie!

1. Aw Kelli, that would mean SO much to me! Spreading the word is probably MORE important than bidding, because it gets OTHER people to bid! :)

41. Thank you for your fundraising efforts for Japan. It’s great to see people helping in their unique ways (baking, or in my case, running). I’ll check back to see what goodies are for auction.

42. bitt of raw says:

I love things like this! Because I don’t have a lot of $ to donate, but I have time and some kitchen skill. Thanks for organizing it. I will for sure donate. Can I do two things? I have a baked idea and a raw one.

1. bitt of raw says:

ps: LOVE your little kid pics. I had a bowl cut too. :-)

2. Oh my gosh, YES! And lol I will probably bid on both, knowing your skills!

43. Katie, I really want to help out with this! I’ll practice my baking, or unbaking, I’m not fantastic at it but I’ll try for this!

44. Namaste Gurl says:

Great idea, Katie. You truly are one of the sweetest, most kind- hearted people EVER. :)
    I’d love to help in any way I can– let me know!

1. Anything you can do–tweet, mention it on your blog, donate, etc–would be appreciated times a million! The more ppl who know, the better, because it means a greater chance of raising more $ :).

45. nadia says:

this is a great idea – you look so adorable in a kimono! XXO

46. Damjana says:

Sent you an email :). Later I’ll blog about it. Thanks for having such a big heart for people in need!

1. Ahh! Your chocolate bars look awesome! YOU have the sweetest heart! :)

47. Mo says:

Hey, Katie! This is a really great idea and I’m glad you’re doing such a wonderful thing. I’m trying to think of what I might be able to contribute that’s shipping-friendly. :)

One thing I’d like to suggest: The Red Cross is a wonderful charity, of course, but if you’re concerned about how much money actually goes to the efforts, perhaps you’d consider AmeriCares? When I collected money for the Katrina Victims in ’05 (I literally stood outside of the entrance to a flea market-type garage sale with an empty coffee tin… I was 11 and cute, so it totally worked) I did a ton of research on which charity I should contribute to, and in my research I found that AmeriCares donates 99% of their proceeds to the cause (keeping only 1% for other expenses):

The Red Cross donates 91.8%:

Either way, it’s a wonderful thing. I just wanted to let you know! Red Cross is the popular choice, of course, but AmeriCares uses much less of its proceeds for purposes other than charity and I think it might serve a better purpose here, where you want as much money going to Japan as possible. :)

1. Erika says:

The problem with smaller charities is that sometimes they just don’t have the pull or the resources that come with a big name like Red Cross. Sometimes they’re not allowed in, or they don’t have the ability to get to the places that need it most. I’m sure AmeriCares is a great charity, but I’d stick with Red Cross because it’s got the means to really get things done. Just my thoughts, though. Obviously no matter where the $ goes, it’s a good cause (as long as it’s an accredited charity, of course).

48. Ally says:

You can count on my bid! I will be traveling the next few days, and therefore won’t be able to donate an item, but you better believe I will be bidding on one (or more!). I love your outreach and enthusiasm :)

49. Veronica says:

Aaaa! I love this! Great idea Katie! I recently particpated in my first blogger bake sale a few months ago and I’d love to do it again. I’ve never made vegan goodies except for raw balls, and since there will probably be many varieties of those offered in your bake sale, I quickly came up with a recipe for vegan Cinnabon caramel corn instead. I started on it as soon as I read this blog and I’ve now eaten a good amount of it (yum!) and taken pictures and will post the recipe to my blog within the next hour, with info on your bake sale so my readers can bid. Do you want me to give you a link to it or do you prefer me to email the picture without a link?

50. woww how awesome Katie! you’re so sweet~and I am very hopeful that something good will result from this tragedy.

51. Amazing idea. You are such a warm-hearted person :)

52. This is such a good idea! My best friend from elementary school lives in Japan- I am donating to the Red Cross :)

53. Disturbed says:

I would love to do this, I just have to figure out what to make and get a picture of it.

54. I didn’t know you grew up in Japan, that’s very cool! And incredibly noble of you to be doing this to give back to them! :) I’d love to join in!!

55. Crafty lil vegan says:

After reading this blog… i attempted to make something decadent, but healthy, and also oil-free (as i can’t eat oil withouth feeling ill!) so i tried making chocolate butter bean brownies.. as i’ve been reading on lots of peoples’ blogs about their LOVE of brownies.. (which i’ve never been a fan of..) So i thought i’d /TRY/ and join in… And, well, let’s just say the chickens will be having a feast tomorrow! I guess me and brownies just aren’t meant to be!

So, instead, i’m going to go for something i make for my vegan family, and i know works!
    They aren’t remotely healthy! But (i hear) are rather yum, and people never know that they are vegan! 😉 Torn between making chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate-vanilla spirals! ..we shall have to see how many baking supplies i can aquire!
    And my brother’s offered to donate some vegan welsh cakes!
    Thanks for being so wonderful Kate! I’ll send across some images now..

1. Aww thank YOU for being so wonderful!! And thank your brother for me, too! I’m so excited there are people like you in this world who have jumped at the chance to help others!

56. eatandrun says:

Excited to see all the baked goods!

57. Sarah says:

Oh I want to make something! I’ll have to open up my cookbooks! So fun :).

58. Babs says:

yum…I wanna help

59. Ann Claire says:

This is such a great idea, you are so thoughtful Katie. I’d love to donate a baked good, even if that doesn’t work out I”ll definitely do whatever I can to get the word out about what you’re doing.

60. You have such an incredibly big and generous soul, lady. I would be HONORED to help. I’ll email you.

61. You are awesome for doing this! I will surely be participating :) Can’t wait!
    I’m off to spread the word!

62. This is a great idea, Katie! I will definitely participate. Way to use your blog voice to help others! :-)

63. Sarah C. says:

I’m loving this! I always want to eat vegan goodies, but I’m lazy and don’t want to bake! I’ll be bidding on Tuesday! :)

64. Caron says:

Wonderful idea Katie! I’ll definitely be donating a baked good.
    Now to think of something that can be shipped without getting too messy…

65. Katie, this is SUCH a great idea! You’re so sweet :)

66. Tara says:

I’ll do my part by bidding. Though what is the deadline for submitting a baked good? I have a recipe I’m attempting this weekend and if it turns out good I would love to contribute!
    The pictures of you in Japan are ADORABLE! They remind me of my little sister, except she wouldn’t be caught dead in pink clothes.

1. The deadline for the email is next Thursday, but you don’t actually have to MAKE the baked good until after the bake sale ends (on the 5th).

67. Chelsey says:

This sounds like a great idea, but help me clarify some things here, guys. Soooo, we can bid on the baked good items that people will be sending to you, and whoever has the highest bid on the specific baked good idea will receive the baked good and that money will be donated to red cross?

1. Chelsey says:

***baked good item, not idea. haha oops.

2. Yup! :)
      Here’s an example of a blog bake sale, from the wonderful Tina at CarrotsnCake:

68. Vega says:

Hmm..does it have to be our OWN recipe? Because I could sure donate a good, but…I don’t have any recipes of my own lol.

Using another’s recipe should be okay though? I mean, I wouldn’t be receiving the money after all. Those in need of it, will.

1. You can DEFINITELY use someone else’s recipe!! :)

69. What a great idea Katie! Japan holds a special place in my heart too. I took Japanese as a foreign language from 5th grade-12 grade. Although I’ve never visited, it’s always been a dream of mine. The people are so warm and friendly. It’s absolutely devastating what’s happened to them. I’m organizing a bake sale too at my grandparent’s church later this month with all the proceeds going to 2 charities that are working in Japan. Thank you for all you’re doing!

70. Emma says:

Hey hey! I’ll be emailing you today with my bake sale goodies :-)
    p.s – i made your “spinach” ice cream last night – sooooooo good! You popped up in another one of my posts. I think I just need to hire you as my personal chef! :-)

71. What a great idea Katie! You know we will love to help out! I will send you an email 😉

72. Clair says:

Great idea! Hope all those near and dear are safe…

73. Kimberley says:

WOW! Such a great idea :)

74. Awww… Katie this is a fabulous idea!! The world is lucky to have such sweet, caring people like you! 😀

75. Kelly says:

Sounds fantastic, Katie! I’ll e-mail you soon!

76. Lyza says:

This is such a beautiful idea.

I also adore asian culture, and have always been a little envious that you grew up there! It breaks my heart that it happened there too, but I can’t imagine how you must feel. That picture of you is wonderful–it’s surprising because there are so many grown adults here who haven’t mastered chopsticks like little you has in that picture! :)

I’d love to bid on April 5 :) I’m not sure I’m confident enough in any desserts of mine yet to donate, but maybe I’ll experiment and see what I come up with :)

77. Megan says:

Great idea! I will definitely be bidding. Can’t wait :)

78. whitney says:

Katie, if I had a best-person-of-the-year-award I would give it to you. I cannot wait for this, I am going to think about it for awhile and I’ll get back with you tomorrow on what I am going to make!

Thank you so much for everything you do.

79. I love this idea!! I’ll be emailing you as soon as I figure out something that might catch people’s interest :]

80. I will donate something if you still need it! Let me know! I have a great homemade granola recipe that I am sure someone will enjoy!

1. Definitely!! I’d looooove it if you donated some homemade granola!

81. omgosh! cute little katie! what a great idea! :)

82. Luciana says:

I just saw this! What a great idea, and I’ll definitely be bidding and spreading the word!

83. amber says:

i sent you an email with my donation and pictures. are you sending confirmation emails back so that we know you got our emails ok? :)

84. Lala says:

Just posted about your fundraiser on my blog! :)

85. I can’t wait to see what you have to offer on Tuesday! You have such a giving and loving soul.. just one of the many reason why I love you so much! xoxo

86. Eliza says:

I have been following your blog for a few months now but for some reason just today this post popped up as a recommendation. I grew up in Japan as well and it’s a nice surprise to know you did as well! I love your blog, keep up the good work!

87. Wendy Yamazaki says:

Hi Katie,

I have been following your blog for a few months now and made a few things of yours and I must say they are GREAT! Thanks very much for sharing! Surfing through your blog today to look for something else to make, I found and read this post. Neat! You grew up in Japan! I am a nissei Canadian. I also teach high school Japanese. 日本語は 話せますか。

Anyway, keep up the good work with the blog! では、またね!

1. Aww konichiwa, Wendy! :)
      Your comment made me smile so much!

88. I find it AMAZING at what you’re doing. In fact, I grew up in Japan as well! And I was actually IN Japan when the earthquake hit. I wasn’t in a major zone, but I had just been in Yamagata, where our friends there felt it pretty badly. And I totally agree with the fact that the Japanese are such nice people! But it was also good that it happened there, because everyone is just so nice, and they share what they have. (Not that others wouldn’t)