Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Peanut Butter Frozen Hot Chocolate

For most of the year, here in Texas, the weather is… weird.

80 degrees one day, 20 degrees the next. Sunny one minute, hail storm the next. They have a saying about Texas: If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes. However, when it turns to summer, you can count on our weather to be one thing: oppressively hot!

Luckily, I’m well-prepared for the heat wave… with Frozen Hot Chocolate.

Remember Erika, with the Healthy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake?

She’s slowly warming up to the idea that healthy food can taste incredible. And the concoction I whipped up for her yesterday afternoon certainly didn’t hurt her opinion.

Peanut Butter Frozen Hot Chocolate

(Makes 1 really big serving)

• 1 cup milk of choice (at least 1/3 cup as full-fat canned coconut milk if you want a really-rich treat)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10 grams)
  • 1/16th tsp salt (do not omit this)
  • pinch stevia, OR 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or sugar of choice
  • Optional: for an even richer flavor, try adding a little melted chocolate (Serendipity’s recipe calls for this) or chocolate syrup
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter

Combine ingredients and whisk together on the stove. Or microwave 30 seconds, stir, then microwave another 30 seconds. Let cool, then pour into an ice-cube tray. If you don’t have one, pour into three or four small containers. (Or pour it all into one container, but be sure to thaw before doing the next step so your blender can handle the one big block of frozen-ness.) Freeze. Once frozen, pop the mixture into a blender and blend! (I used my Vita-Mix.) Do not add ice. I repeat: Do NOT add ice. You will dilute the flavor.

See original fro-co post for Frozen Hot Chocolate Nutrition Information.

Is the weather warm where you are?
And do you have any summer plans yet?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Yum. Chocolate and peanut butter is one of the best combinations ever.

I’m hoping to set up some kind of camping trip this summer. I’d love to get to the Great Lakes area for a canoeing and camping trip.

New York City would make a great trip too – I love it there.

2. I am making this today. No joke. You have just combined my two favourite foods, and I am in heaven just LOOKING at this!!

And lucky you, going to NYC!! I’m going to HAWAII baby!! 😀

1. Lucky me? No, lucky YOU! I wanna goooooo! What part?

3. Kimberley says:

PB and chocolate cravings solved in one serving! My type of food 🙂

4. Oh my that is my kind of heaven right there, yum!

5. That looks amazing! I’m hoping to get a new (permanent) job this summer and move somewhere else. Hopefully somewhere not much hotter and much less humid than Knoxville. A girl has to have goals …

6. The weather we have where I live is somewhat similar to what you have in Texas. One day its warm and suny the next we have snow. Right now we have snow.
    I have no plans for summer but I can’t wait for it! Maybe I’ll make this so I can pretend its warm outside

1. In the winter, I eat my cold foods in front of a heater :).

7. ok i am all excited now! this sounds amazing!

8. Anonymous says:

The whether was beautiful all weekend, but I woke up to gray skies and rain this morning. Oh well, April showers right.?

9. Mckella says:

Sorry, that last comment was me. Still so groggy, I forgot to put in my name!

10. Katie, you are AMAZING!!!! 😀 This recipe is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! 😀

11. Molly says:

I only have almod milk, but I might still give this a try! This summer I am going to Europe with my mom… I can’t wait!!

12. your weather sounds like our weather! bipolar!
    aHH this looks AMAZING- you could totally fool someone into thinking that was a bit ol sundae yet this one is nutritious and tastier!!!!!!

summer plans are unsure of.. college touring.. in da south! and possibly a college course on nutrition somewhere! but still trying to find one!

13. Mmmmm…that looks fabulous! It looks like a hot fudge sundae!
    I’m having the same weather – one day its 70 degrees and sunny and the next its 40 degrees and rainy. I just want the warm summer weather to come and stay! 😀

14. This looks amazing… I wonder if it’d be good if you blended part of a banana in with it??!

15. Jenny says:

Looks so sinfully delicious… Like chocolate ice cream… [Must free up some freezer space to make this. ASAP.]

Finally getting warmer up here in Canada! I’d love to have hot weather all year-round… That’s how it was when I lived in Manila and in Singapore, and I’d like it again! No idea what 80 degrees Fahrenheit is in terms of Celsius, but if it’s around 40*C, I’d definitely welcome that with [very] open arms! 🙂

Summer plans… –> Work work work!

16. t says:

Oooh that looks amazing! I actually like pb and chocolate way better than just chocolate. Don’t hate me. 😛

1. No, I love you… this just means more chocolate for me! 😉

17. I am from Texas and so miss home during this unpredictable NYC Spring! This looks delicious- plan to make it after my long run today since the weather is nice here today!!!! Thx for the inspiration- the peanut butter is genious for adding protein and I might just throw a little Sun Warrior Chocolate Powder in there as well!!!

18. Sarah says:

This looks so yummy!! I randomly happen to have coconut milk in my fridge- had a $2 off coupon… so I think it’s fate that I try this soon!
    I wonder how my poor little cheap-o blender will fare… It has an ‘ice crush’ feature so maybe it’ll work out.

19. That looks delicious! Do you think a magic bullet express would be able to process the frozen cubes successfully?

1. It won’t get the ice-creamy texture, as you’ll have to thaw it waaaay more in order for it to blend… but it’d probably make a super-yummy slushie!

20. Oh, man, that looks like pretty much the greatest dessert ever, especially for a Texas summer!