Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Cookie Ball Pops

Man cannot live on chocolate alone.
But woman can.

And Katie totally can.

cake pop

Everything’s better covered in chocolate. Cookie Ball Pops are no exception.

Well, maybe broccoli is an exception.
But this post isn’t about broccoli; thank goodness.

cakeball

It’s about chocolate-covered Cookie Ball Pops.

These pops look super-elegant, like they came from a gourmet candy store. Therefore, they are a perfect party gift because—in reality—they’re so easy to make! A few days ago, I brought a batch to a friend’s graduation party, and people went crazy. It was as if I’d brought something, well… not-so-legal. (I swear, I didn’t put any rum in the cookie ball pops!)

Chocolate Cookie Ball Pops

First melt chocolate chips or a bar.
You can use any chocolate. I used PMS Chocolate.

Take the cookie ball pops out of the freezer and dip them in the melted chocolate. Then place them on parchment paper and rush those balls back to the freezer so they can get… yikes, I am not going to finish that sentence! 😕

Oh yeah, and you can throw in some sprinkles too.

cake pop

Moving on…

Two months ago, I discovered the wonders of the Gawkerverse.

At first, it was a frustrating world; they rejected all my photos! But rejection is ultimately a good thing in that it forces you to WORK HARDER. It also makes the moments all the more sweet when you finally achieve acceptance.

That’s not to say I don’t have a lot to learn about photography. I only this year realized it’s one of my passions. So obviously I still know very little about the genre. I’d love to take a class—if ever I get a free moment in my life! For now, I’m just having fun exploring different camera settings and making up my own (perhaps unorthodox) form in terms of “styling.” I never knew that food photography was such an art! It’s funny; I now  find myself not even noticing the actual food in photos. I’m too busy taking in the backdrop, the props, the color scheme, and any number of other artsy aspects of the pictures.

Anyway, there’s now a banner on right side of my blog, if you’re interested in checking it out. I jump up and down like a crazy girl whenever I receive the “your photo has been accepted” email from the lovely folks at foodgawker. It’s such a thrill to see my little photos alongside some incredible others—many taken by professional photographers. I owe foodgawker so much for inciting, in me, a passion I never knew existed until two months ago!

bowls2-200x200

Click the image to see: My photo gallery.

Do you like taking photos?
And do you like looking back at old photos?

Until recently, I never cared about the quality of my photos. But I’ve always loved taking pictures, just because they offer lasting memories and it’s so much fun to look back.

Baby photos, or even high school and my Prom photos.

Tomorrow: I want to feature YOU! :)

1. Lenna says:

Great you´ve got your recipes on the foodgawker! I love that website:) I am bad at taking pictures, so I admire how someone is able to make such a perfect pictures of their food:)

2. kate says:

Wow those look delicious! In relation to your raw cookie dough recipe, I tried an oatmeal bar last night made with mainly date puree and it was AWESOME. I’m so excited to include it in recipes in the future. I love periodically taking out pictures from the past..usually to laugh at how ridiculous I looked!

3. Emily says:

Gooorrrggeeoouuss photos! But really, I don’t think you could make chocolate covered cookie dough look bad if you tried.

1. Haha I think that goes for all chocolate in general! :)

4. krickit6 says:

Your photos TOTALLY look professional! You’re doing a great job, Katie!! :-) :-) :-)

5. Leslie says:

Oh my stars, that first photo is INCREDIBLE!
    Off to check out the rest of your foodgawker gallery…

6. Congrats on getting into foodgawker! Katie I think your photos have gotten much better just in the past few weeks (not that they weren’t good before, but you know what I mean). I miss the fake flowers though!

1. Lisa C. says:

I was just about to mention the fake flowers, when I saw someone had already beat me to it!
      I love how you say you “make up my own (perhaps unorthodox) methods”. I love the ribbons and dolls you use, and I especially love those fake flowers. Now I can’t step into a Michaels without thinking of you! :)

1. Haha the fake flowers are NOT gone for good. They’re still hanging around in my living room…

7. Gen says:

Those look yummy!!!! And your gallery is amazing! 😀

8. I don’t know much about photography but I have learned a thing or two over the past year. I look back of food photos taken with flash and cringe! Its all about the natural lighting!

9. Jenny says:

Wow so glad you posted this!! I have been looking at foodgawker for 3 years now and just thought that they scanned blogs for the best photos. I never thought you had to submit! Silly me..haha. So excited now :)

10. Cat says:

I am loving this new cookie ball pop trend!
    And your photos are beautiful. Hard to believe you only just started paying attention to photography two months ago. Your stuff looks so professional!
    And uh oh I think I’ve found a new website to stalk. How did I not know about foodgawker until now!?

11. Emily K. says:

Katie, I love your foodgawker gallery. It’s gorgeous. And I agree with everyone else. Your photos DO look professional!

12. everything is better covered in chocolate. that is why i love your blog! :)

congrats on the featured photos!!! that’s so exciting! I’m just starting to learn more about photography. Someday when I have proper equipment, I’d like to get more into it.

13. katie k says:

I just wrote this morning about how photos can bring back floods of great memories and allow you to cherish them so much more. I’m getting into food photography a little myself, but hve tons to learn and explore. It is so much fun! Your photos have been looking SO great lately. I was wondering, did you get a new camera or did you just start playing around with settings? Do you use any sort of lighting set up, or just natural lighting?

1. Hey Katie!
      I actually have had this same camera for over a year now! But I used to shoot entirely on automatic, with flash. I feel like my photos instantly got better the moment I switched the flash off. :)

14. Sarah says:

Soooooo pretty! I think the raspberry fudge bite is my favorite. That raspberry just pops! But then again, the cookie dough pancakes, the strawberry shortcake, the cake batter milkshake? Oh heck, I can’t choose a favorite!

15. I love sprinkles!! :)

Your photos always look amazing!! :) What kind of camera do you have?

16. Kailey @GardenGirl says:

You should be really proud of your work, Katie. I *HAVE* taken photography courses, and your photos are better than mine! You rock :).

17. Anonymous says:

I was wondering, does anyone know how foodgawker decides which photos make the front page and which ones go straight to the second page?

Does it depend on what time you submit them? Or is it that they put the best ones on the front page?
    I’ve submitted a lot of photos, and they took two. But both never made the front page and I was just curious if it was a timing thing or not?

1. Sorry, no clue! I landed on page 2, today. Sometimes I’m on page 2, sometimes page 1, even when I submit at the same time of day. So… yeah, no clue! I wish I knew too!

1. It has to do with how they process their submissions and if all of a sudden they accept 50 in an hour, you may never actually be on page 1. There are only what 20 spots on pg 1 (just guessing) but yeah, it’s just random how/when/how many submissions they process b/c as you know, your submission may sit pending for DAYS or it may be processed in a few hrs. you just never know!

18. Kate says:

Congrats on getting your pictures into foodgawker! Your pictures are gorgeous.

I like taking pictures a lot too and it is a passion that developed recently. My Canon is my baby and I love it so much!

19. Jennifer JCD says:

I must be in Heaven; those cookie pops look too good to be true!

Photography has been a love of mine for years but I’ve never been very good at it. Rather, I’ve never had much time to take out my good (35mm SLR) camera and practice. (I still use film, which can be difficult because you don’t get to see the photos until you develop them = slow learning curve.) I have made some really brilliant photos though, at leat I think so; they’re just hard to come by.

You, on the other hand, have become MUCH better at photography in the past year or so – well done!

20. Funny.. before I even read your entire post..I was thinking.. I need to comment to Katie on how much I love her photos of her food.. and how they are simply amazing! :)

21. Kate says:

Congrats on your pictures! Sorry if this is rude question, but do you use some kind of photoshop software on all your pictures?

Thanks,

Kate

1. Not rude at all!
      I have photoshop, and I ADORE it :).
      (p.s. a lot of people don’t know this, but if you tell them you’re a student when you buy it, you can get a HUGE discount!)

22. I think you take beautiful food pics. I only wish I had your skills. And the chocolate covered cake pops are adorable!

1. I think I need to cover some in fondant and make baby animal cookie ball pops… then they’ll REALLY be adorable! :)

23. I’d been noticing how much more professional your photos have been looking lately. They’re getting so much better -you can see that you’re learning quickly. Congratulations on your gallery, there are some delicious looking photos in it. I particularly like the ‘action shots’ of the syrup drizzles!

1. Haha me too! Those are the hardest to do… especially by yourself, because you have to pour the syrup with your left hand in order to hold the camera with your right!

24. Lilly says:

you are so very talented girl! amazing amazing amazing 😀

25. Jessica says:

Guess what, Katie? I am making cookie ball pops today! :) Covered in chocolate or sure! Hoping this trend is here to stay :).

26. Jessica says:

**for sure

27. Hela says:

congrats on the pics! they are fab!! all of them! I love pictures like these printed on canvas to put in my kitchen :)
    in general, I am sooo into pictures! I love taking them and watching at them, I think it is so important to capture precious moments or just for wanting to show evidence 😉

28. A photography class sure sounds fun to me! Of course, it wouldn’t do my cruddy camera and I much good,but still fun nonetheless. I think your pics are great, so keep up the good work!

29. Kari says:

Congrats on your acceptances to foodgawker! When you posted that cookie dough pancake pic with the flowy syrup, I just knew I’d see that one in a gallery someday. :) That reminds me, I still really need to make those pancakes.

30. lindsay says:

yay for GF cookie ball pops! eye candy and real candy. The healthier version of course!

31. Emilia says:

You’re so creative and brilliant, my friend! I really wouldn’t be surprised if Larabar hired you to create and test new flavors :)

1. Jessica says:

Agreed! I wish they would, because then the rest of us could reap the benefit of getting to eat those flavors you devise ;).

32. Your photography is beautiful! I have a really crappy camera but maybe one day my pictures will look like yours :)

33. Elle says:

your pictures are so artsy! i love it. :) and omg those chocolate cookie ball pops sound delicious!

34. I know what you mean about foodgawker! Oh my goodness. And tastespotting is even worse for me, I rarely ever get any on there. It is super nice getting an approved email, but don’t worry. Your photography has improved so so so much. And plus, you never really know what they’re looking for so don’t feel bad when one doesn’t get accepted :)

35. Diana says:

I wish I lived near you and could attend the parties where you bring chocolate cookie ball pops! Do your friends know how lucky they are?!?

36. Mowenackie says:

Congrats! I think your food photos are fabulous. (Hey, that was alliterative!) I love the colors, the clarity and the perspective. I like taking pictures, too, but I’m not terribly good at it. Digital pictures are both friend and foe – it’s way too easy to take zillions of shots.

1. Ugh yeah, and then you have to figure out which ones are best… but they all are only *slightly* different… it’s so hard to throw any out!

37. I think you nailed it with this one! I am bookmarking this recipe for my next get together…YOU ROCK :)

38. Katie! These are b-e-a-utiful! I absolutely love them. I have got to make those cookie dough pops ASAP. I’m loving all these new recipes, girl. :)

Congrats on FoodGawker! Yeah, your photos are very incredible. I love them. I really struggle with props and stuff like that. I’m just not good at it! haha.

1. Just make it up! I know a lot of “real” photographers set up place settings with fancy silverware and all… but I just have way more fun with my fake flowers and dolls and ribbons! 😉

39. I intend on bringing these to multiple grad partis..theyll love me:)
    and i think your pictures are gorgeous!!!

1. College kids are so easy to please… as long as it’s sweet, they’ll eat it!

40. Not gonna lie, you had me worried at first with your opening line. But don’t worry, I quickly recovered when you clarified that women can live off chocolate :) Because that’s a statement I totally and whole heartedly support!

41. Lauren says:

Your pictures always make me drool because the treats look so good! I love photography, but food photography is so much different than people/nature. I get the love of photography from my mom, who is always taking pictures of scenery and millions of pictures of family events.

42. Ragnhild says:

A treat CANT get better than that! It just cant! Im stil so exited that you used oatflour in the pops, I really love the flavor of oats.
    It is not easy to take good photos. I just have to say that you have come a long way. I have been reading you blog for so long, and I can really see how you have improved! You are a pro now 😀 And that makes it so much fun to read AND look at your post!

1. Aww thank you! I am definitely not a pro… maybe someday? I dunno… I’m having fun, so that’s all that matters! :)
      And oat flour is sooooo yummy!!

43. I love the sprinkles! Rainbow sprinkles make everything better. As if these aren’t amazing enough already! I can’t wait to try these. I could definitely see these displayed on a platter with cute little bows on their stems for a party!

44. I laughed at your broccoli comment.. but seriously, chocolate makes EVERYTHING better! Cookie dough, gummy bears, raisins.. I wonder how chocolate-covered broccoli would taste…. hmmmm

45. Firsly, YUUUUUM!! Everything is better covered in chocolate!! 😀

I just stalked your Food Gawker gallery, and I almost fainted. Too much deliciousness on one page!! I bookmarked it of course so I can drool over it every day! 😛

46. i am LOVING your food gawker gall! so yum!

47. Laura says:

Hi there! I just started reading your blog after I saw your guest post on Peanut Butter Fingers. Your dessert creations all look beautiful and so fun. I tried an oatmeal recipe where you cook the oats, then put in a blender with chocolate. It actually tasted pretty good!
    Anyway, I have two questions.
    1) I know that you’re vegan, but I’m not. I eat meat, dairy, etc. Can I substitute my regular butter and milk for your Vegan butter and non-dairy milk? Will the end product be similar? (I’m relatively new to cooking/baking).
    2) I keep reading comments of yours that say you have “no sweet tooth.” This sounds so contradictory since you are making all of these sweet, delicious-looking recipes! What’s the deal? If I had no sweet tooth I would just avoid all of this stuff and eat carrots for dessert! (My husband actually does this. Crazy, I know).

1. Hey Laura! I’m so glad you found me!!
      Yes, definitely you can sub your butter and milk.
      And hehe I guess it does sound funny that someone who writes a dessert blog doesn’t have a sweet tooth… but all I mean is that I don’t like my desserts sweet. I still like dessert!!! :) I just love rich desserts better than sweet ones, if that makes any sense. Like really dark chocolate desserts. Or creamy desserts.
      I’m not big on sweet things like candy or syrup-y dessert… or even things like sorbet. (Some of my recipes, like the cake batter doughnuts, were made more with my readers in mind than me.) But I love desserts like chocolate fudge cake or dark chocolate brownies or pudding. Oh, and I adore carrot cake… so I guess I DO eat carrots for dessert ;).

48. All of your noms are foodgawker worthy 😀

49. These look delish…seriously what isn’t made better with chocolate :)

50. Ahhhhh I am seirously drooling, can you please do a giveaway of cookie dough and cake pops?!

1. Haha that’d be awesome… sadly, I think they’d melt. Especially the chocolate-covered ones :(.

51. Your photography skills are amazing! I’m glad to you hear you were accepted, you deserved to be :)

52. The only way you make these any better is adding sprinkles and chocolate…they look delicious!

53. Moni'sMeals says:

I have missed out on so much, just have not had a lot of time to check in like I ALWAYS do. Golly!

So your photos are amazing! honeslty you have really upped the anti. :)

I loved your cake pops recipes, your healthy doughnuts and with the glaze, your prom photo, etc. good to of checked back in with CCK. :) I am good now. :)

have a lovely day!

1. Aww I always smile so huge when I get a message from you, miss Monica! Love u!!

54. I’ve seen so many of your photos in foodgawker recently. I’m not surprised because your pictures are gorgeous!

55. bitt of raw says:

These are cute! I think your photos are great and deserve to be spread around, but I have to say it is a little hard to keep hearing about other people who get their photos into those sites when mine have been rejected. Part of it is probably due to the type of camera I guess.

56. I could definately live off chocolate… Chocolate and cookies! I love visiting Foodgawker and have been happy to see some of your photos there. Good job you deserve it, your photos keep getting better! I have always taken millions of photos wherever I go. None of my photos have been accepted by Foodgawker but some have by Tastespotting. Do you visit Tastespotting?

1. I do, but they have never given me any rejection feedback other than “composition.” So I like foodgawker better, because when they reject me I can at least learn from the experience. Rejection is painful LOL!

57. Congrats on Foodgawker! Your photos look awesome on there. I’ve just started to develop a love for photography too. I just have a point and shoot camera right now, but I’m starting to look into buying a nicer one. What kind do you use?

1. I have a Nikon D5000… I found it at Costco on sale!! :)

58. It comes as no surprise to me that your pictures got accepted to Foodgawker. They’re beautiful, Katie! 😀

59. Congrats, Katie, on all your FG submissions and your photography and how far you’ve come. As you and I know, getting photos on FG and TS is no easy feat! Congrats and I proudly display my FG badge too, and on my Press page, I have the links to my other galleries. It’s an honor to be on those sites and we all should be proud to get on them!

CONGRATS!

And of course, the recipe today…drool.

1. I always smile when I see you on there! Like today: on the front “favorited” page. Congrats!!! :)

1. Are you serious? I’m on the favorite page?? Ok I had no idea. Maybe that’s why I noticed quite a few hits coming from FG today. I thought everyone was just really hungry for Nutella Brownies…lol. Now I know why. Off to check that out. Thanks for the heads up. :)

60. Gaston says:

Seems like you were Argentinean, white and light-blue are the colours of our flag xD

1. You should petition the government to add some cookie ball pops to the flag ;).

1. Gaston says:

so true

61. Rachel says:

Katie, I feel like I could have written your part about FoodGawker!!! I fell in love with the site almost a year ago, started submitting about 6 months ago and it took up until about a month ago to get a photo accepted. Your photos look great – your hard work is paying off, thanks for being such an inspiration to me (another chocolate lover)

1. Aw, thank YOU for the sweet comment.
      Chocolate love!

62. BroccoliHut says:

I love, love, love taking photos! I really need to take a photography class though so I can learn to do it properly.

63. Your photos look amazing! I’d also like to get more into photography, but it somehow always gets pushed to the side. Maybe someday! I LOVE taking pictures and looking back on them. So important to me since I grew up overseas–and I think you did, partially, too, right? That’s one of the super fun parts about having a blog now–I have a place to share my pictures with others!

1. Yes! In China, Japan, The Phillippines, and England. Where did you live?

1. Russia, Indonesia, and Norway! I bet we know some of the same people…expat community is small :)

2. Haha so true! My friends in China knew people with whom I went to preschool in Japan!

64. Your photos ARE gorgeous, Katie. But for me, it’s all about the recipes and I love your recipes!

65. Tara says:

Everything is better when it’s chocolate covered!!! Especially when there is already chocolate on the inside.
    I’m obsessed with foodgawker. I have the app on my itouch and I look at it before I go to bed every night. I always have sweet (chocolate/muffin/icecream infused) dreams!

66. Dalai Lina says:

I have never heard of food gawker – I’m so glad you mentioned it! Your photos in there look great.

67. Ellie says:

looking through old photos is my favourite way to procrastinate from studying!

68. Julia says:

Hey Katie! I just made a blog and one of my first recipes was your single serve cupcake. SO good! You’re such an inspiration- love your site =)

69. Congrats on getting your photos accepted to FG Katie! Your photos are looking more beautiful each day.

I’ve submitted quite a few but they always get rejected. :/ I think it has to do with not having a ton of natural light in my house as well as not using a tripod – although those are only guesses.

1. Aw thank you so much, Brittany.
      My photos probably wouldn’t get on there without photoshop! (And I think a lot of others are in the same boat. I know Averie and Angela use lightroom! So it’s probably not your photo skills at all! You take gorgeous photos!)

70. There is really not a whole lot of things better than frozen cookie dough in my opinion. Then to top it off, dipped in chocolate….just shut the front door. I have died and gone to heaven to say the least. I will be getting the ingredients for this ASAP.

71. Vogelstar says:

I made these tonight for me and my guy and he attacked them. He said they taste like rum balls which gave me an idea: chocolate cookie base with rum extract. Ill try that next time

1. Ooh I want to do that now too! And maybe dip them in chocolate!

1. Vogelstar says:

I love how it’s not enough for you to add the rum but you have to dip it in chocolate too. Awesomeness

72. Caitlyn says:

Your comment about broccoli and chocolate made me think of this song:

One of Mary-Kate and Ashley’s best :)

Anyway, I love your posts! I also love your photography!

73. audrey says:

I had to laugh when I read that broccoli isn’t better covered with chocolate – because this is exactly what I did a few days ago with raw little broccoli-trees :) I melted a chocolate bar for another recipe, and while I was trying to get the rest of the liquid goodness out with my fingers, I glimpsed at the broccoli on the table… I hadn’t the time to think it might be gross, in the next moment I was dipping the broccoli in the chocolate, and it was so great!! Ok, enough :) I love your recipes!