I have no words.

Red, white, and Blueberries!

If you get a chance, please see this important post.

The linked post really sums up my thoughts about today’s significance to me. No matter where you are, please also take a moment to remember all of the brave men and women who are willing to give up their lives to protect our freedom. Never take that freedom for granted.

mem

(This is an old photo. Since it’s only 9am, I don’t yet have any photos from this year.)

Oh wait, yes I do have some Memorial Day photos from this year:

raspberry bar

rasp bar

I’m bringing the above dessert to a neighborhood party today. If it’s well-received, I’ll hopefully get the recipe up later this week or next. But tomorrow’s post is even more exciting.

Question of the Day:

Do you know anyone who’s served in the armed forces?

Both my grandpas fought in the army. And a few of my friends–including the girl whose wedding I just blogged about–are married to soldiers. I can’t even imagine how hard it must be for them to say goodbye to their husbands every time they go off to fight. I’m so so grateful to the people who protect the freedom of others they’ve never even met… how on earth can I ever thank them? There are not enough words to convey how thankful I am for their incredible sacrifice.

Tomorrow is Cookie Pie!

Sneak preview: Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

🙂

1. Both of my grandfathers are veterans, and two of my uncles have served. I also have three friends and two cousins serving! I can’t imagine being married to someone in the service- it would be so hard to say goodbye!

2. Hannah says:

wow, that deep dish cookie pie looks incredible! can’t wait for tomorrow 🙂

3. Hannah says:

also, just read your post about supporting our troops! beautifully said, and I also wanted to applaud you for your response to “anonymous” about thinking for oneself and not following our leaders blindly. I couldn’t agree more.

4. Jennifer JCD says:

I live in a military town, so every other person I know is part of a military family. They are some of the nicest, kindest, and humble people I know. They deserve to be recognised and honoured every day. 🙂

5. VeggieGirl says:

Yep, both of my brothers have served – they were Majors.

6. Mellie says:

My grandpa served but that was before I was born so I’ve never had to say good-bye to someone going off to war…I hope I never go through that. How horrible. I pray for all the families of soldiers.

7. Amen. Both my grandfathers fought in WWII, as well as my paternal grandmother, who was a marine and a WASP pilot. Her story is so amazing- though I absolutely am 100% thankful for all the men in our armed services, I think the women deserve special recognition because people don’t realize how many there are!

8. i dont know any personally who has served. but i still feel that connection to the US even though ive never really lived thre! im a USA gal at heart! ( Cali gal more specifically!) thank u for this awesome post to remind us about this holiday even though its not a holiday here!.. ps.. cookie pie ! my oh my!! 😉

9. Melanie says:

Both of my parents were in the US Air Force. It’s where they met, actually.

10. That post you wrote is beautiful!! You have such a way with words! I have an uncle who died serving in Iraq, and that really made me realise as you said how huge the sacrifice is to lay down your life for those who you don’t even know! My respect for those serving is endless and they’re always in my prayers.

P.S. You’d better share that recipe, or else!! And I am looking forward to tomorrow’s post SO much you have no idea!! 😀

P.P.S. That photo of you and your mum is awesome- you both look so GORGEOUS 🙂

11. Emily says:

Gorgeous photo! And that dessert doesn’t look too bad either 😉
    Thanks for reminding us what this day is all about!

12. Melissa says:

Both of my grandfathers were/are veterans of WWII and the Korean War. The guy I dated for 5 years was in the Marines. We were together through a tour to Iraq and it was more than tough worrying about him day in and day out when I knew he was patrolling the streets of Fallujah daily. I am so incredibly grateful to everyone who puts themselves out there to protect our freedom. I agree–there are no words that do it justice. The one thing I wish is that the military would do more to re-assimilate soldiers into civilian life after they’ve been on a tour of duty. You can’t see death and war everyday and then just come home and pretend like everything is normal. I think that’s the part of serving that most people don’t acknowledge. It is truly an incredible sacrifice.

13. Jenny says:

I remember that picture! I really like the photo-editing you did on it: highlighting red, white, and blue. You’ve got such a great smile!

I live in Canada, but we still have troops overseas… Someone I work with served recently, and honestly I can’t really fully comprehend what they’ve gone through. I deeply appreciate the fact that there are people putting their lives on the front lines so that those back home can rest in peace, though. My grandfather served in WWII, and ended up with a couple of battle wounds and the like… I agree with another poster who said that the real sacrifice is putting yourself out there to witness death and destruction, and potentially even cause it. 🙁 The thought itself is scary… so yes! Lots of overflowing appreciation from me.

Happy Memorial Day, though! No holiday in Canada today, but thanks for reminding me to remember the troops anyway. Have a great day! Looking forward to your new recipes!

14. A few uncles of mine have served – as well as both of my grandfathers; my mother’s father was awared a purple heart. My great uncle also served during WWI – and lost his life. He is buried somewhere in the Czech Republic and i would love to be able to get there someday to honor him.

15. lindsay says:

am thankful beyond belief for this freedom. Freedom to laugh, play, and live life with JOY. Without the service of these men and women, we would not have those precious moments. Thanks for sharing this kaite, happy memorial day.

16. Katie says:

Three of my Grandfathers and a great uncle served in World War II and I also have two friends (one in Afghanistan, one in Iraq) who are currently serving. I really admire their bravery. I like to think I am tough, but I’m pretty sure I would be terrified every day if I was there. Please keep my friends in your thoughts and prayers, especially now, their names are Derek and Steve. 🙂

17. Damjana says:

Image widgets are a brilliant idea! They are so cute and yet simple. I looked at the source code to see how exactly they’re done (I might be a copycat but tribute goes to YOU).
    Btw. the link to your Foodbuzz profile seems to be broken at the moment. Is it just me or..?
    I’m going to make your chocolate chip blondies soon, they mustn’t be missed! 😉

1. Thanks for telling me! I need to fix it! Dunno what’s wrong 😕

18. Siobhan Elizabeth says:

Thank you for your post today, and your kind words! They are greatly appreciated. I served in the Air Force from 2003 until last year, and spent all of 2007 in Iraq; my fiance just retired from the Army after 21 years of service (we added up his tours overseas – 10 of those years were spent deployed!); my uncle, grandfathers and great uncles together have fought in every war imaginable; a few days ago my Great Grandmother showed me an ancient purple heart belonging to her brother who died shortly after D Day… It was awe inspiring to say the least. I guess you could say we have a long history of military service in my family… Anyway, I love your blog, and I wanted to say thank you on behalf of my entire family! It was nice to see this morning. =)

1. Oh gosh, I have to be the one to thank YOU. What you did for me and so many others… I can’t EVER thank you enough. Ever.

19. tea-bag says:

my japanese (us born) grandpa fought for america during wwii. he went to japan and used his japanese language skills to translate. while there, he met my grandma and they fell in love, had a baby, and eventually moved back to the us!
    i’ll never forget his sacrifice. he fought for the us even when his family was being sent to internment camps and his fellow soldiers outcasted him out of racism.
    all military members are true heroes – whether they have stars or medals to prove it! 🙂

ps – i hope those bars are well received – i want that recipe! 🙂

20. The majority of people in my family have served! My dad was in the Army, so I was an Army brat. My great-grandpa fought in WWI, my grandpa fought in Korea, my aunt and uncle were in the Air Force, my uncle was in the Marines, my cousin is a Marine and just got back from Afghanistan, and then lots of people from my hometown are currently in the military, too — my mom’s best friend is in the Army, as is my ex-boyfriend, a friend is in the Navy, and on and on… My mom has made it very clear that if my brother ever tries to join the military she will kidnap him and take him to Canada.