Watermelon Ice Cream

“When one has tasted watermelon, he knows what the angels eat.” –Mark Twain

Watermelon Boy!

Some of y’all might remember Whole Foods Boy.

But I only referred to him as Whole Foods Boy on the blog. In real life, I gave him the nickname of Watermelon Boy, because he could eat an entire watermelon at one time. Therefore, if you ever still read my blog, WF Boy, this recipe is for you!

watermelon3

As a vegan and a healthy eater, I get a ton of veggies in my diet. But I don’t actually eat much fruit. (Maybe only 1-2 servings per day?) I adore fruit—especially summer-fresh fruit—but I never eat a ton of it at one time because it’s so sweet. I guess my lack of sweet tooth extends to naturally-sweetened foods too. And fruit as dessert?

I’d rather have chocolate!

Or fruit and chocolate, like in my Chocolate-Raspberry Frosting.

If given a choice between (vegan) ice cream and sorbet, I’ll pick the ice cream every time. Except yesterday… About a week ago, one of my friends cut up a super-huge watermelon and gave me a container to take home. I ate some of it fresh, but was afraid the rest would go bad before I had a chance to finish it all. So I froze it. Then, yesterday afternoon, I made the most delicious sorbet! (You can also turn it into ice cream.)

watermelon1

Watermelon Ice Cream

• 2 cups cubed watermelon, frozen
  • 2 fresh mint leaves (you can omit if you don’t have any)
  • Optional: feel free to add sweetener if you want a sweeter sorbet
  • Optional: if you don’t have a high-powered blender, add a little milk of choice or juice right before blending, so your blender can handle it. The result won’t be ice-cream-like, but it’ll still be a delicious slushie!

Thaw your watermelon a little, so your blender can handle it. Then blend everything together. I opted for sorbet this time, but if you’d rather have ice cream, simply freeze a little milk of choice along with the watermelon cubes. (For a rich, ice-cream-like consistency, use canned coconut milk.)

For presentation tips, see: How to make it look like ice cream.

watermelon
Do you like fruity desserts, such as sorbet?

I love to throw fruit into recipes, such as my Blueberry Pie Pancakes.

I also like it in oatmeal or paired with my vegan whipped cream.  And although I don’t often crave fruity desserts, I do eat fresh fruit every day, as part of pre-run breakfast.Watermelon is one of my favorite summer fruits, because it’s only good when it is very fresh.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. MMM, Katie this ice cream looks so yummy and refreshing! It screams summer! Love it. :)

2. Jessica says:

Katie, your photos are SO awesome. Can you please please do a “photography tips” post? :) :)

1. I’m actually working on one! :)

3. Surely I thought you’d add some chocolate chips! 😉

1. LOL I dunno… would chocolate-watermelon be a good combination? Why hasn’t anyone tried it before??? Or maybe they have, and I just haven’t heard about it… now I want to try it!

1. Berta says:

The best ice cream/sorbet I ever had was in Rome in 1970. It was real watermelon with mini chocolate chips. Delicious! I’ve wanted to duplicate it ever since.

4. Amazing!! this really is genius :)

5. Lisa Fine says:

This definitely counts as a recipe.

Hmm…I think I may have to buy more watermelon to make some of this sorbet, and to do some experimenting. Thanks!

6. I love fruit…. I am actually trying to cut back and add more veggies and less fruit!

7. Lisa C says:

Oh wow, I want some! Bookmarking this recipe. I feel like I need to go grocery shopping every single day because I ALWAYS want to make what you post that day!

8. Freya says:

Aah I like adding xanthan gum to blended watermelon – it turns into mousse!
    Yep, I eat LOADS of fruit! I’m averaging about 2 bananas, 3 apples and countless berries every day atm! But in winter / autumn, I’m more a veg girl. The veg I love is all root veggies, so they’re hard to get in summer :(

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Me too! Love my fruit!

9. Sarahishealthy says:

omg omg aljailkndxz,mzn:LKM;lM it’s so pretty! I need to buy some watermelon… and get a vita-mix :(. Thanks ffor always giving a variation for those of us who have cr*ppy blenders, though. I really appreciate it! And now I’m going to have a watermelon slushie for snack today :).

10. This looks amazing!! I love sorbet. I just bought a bunch of Blood Orange sorbet from my supermarket. It’s by Ciao Bella and is AMAZING.

11. This looks great! I have been loving mint lately – it’s so nice and refreshing, I bet it’s great in Watermelon Ice Cream!

12. Tricia says:

Ah! I love watermelon! And yes, i eat tons of fruit simply because it’s such an easy snack!

13. I love the idea of a watermelon slushie with almond milk. Yum!!

14. Sam says:

Mmm. I have a wedge of watemelon in the fridge right now but I’m not sure I will finish it! May need to make this to amend that :)

15. Liza says:

During most of the year, I don’t eat that much fruit, maybe 2/day, but in the summer I crave it! Blueberries, grapes, oranges, and melon… ooo I need some melon in my life. I like certain sorbets but sometimes they are too sweet!

16. Jess says:

I eat a minimum of three servings of fruit a day. I try not to go over that most days, but some times (like now with all the amazing summer fruit) it’s hard to not eat tons of fruit! I don’t think I could ever eat too much watermelon :)

17. I love fruits and can eat an ENTIRE watermelon at a time, like Lenna! I did it once before. It hurt my tummy though. Watermelon’s always been my favourite fruit, along with blueberries and strawberries 😀
    Thanks for the sorbet! I can imagine how delicious it tastes already 😀

18. LizAshlee says:

What a great idea..watermelon! I luv fruit and eat a lot of it…currently, I am enjoying blueberries (plump ones of course:), apples, and I have a couple pears to snack on also! Oh, I also bananas quite often in my smoothies!

Have a fabulous day!

19. Looks good, and you inspire me every day! Good work!
    I do eat quite a bit of fruit. At least two servings a day, usually three’ish. I should eat more berries though, one problem, they are expensive!

20. tea-bag says:

oh my, i eat so much watermelon! i ate 1/2 of a huge one all by myself on my birthday! (and i’ve eaten a whole one in one day) this recipe is dangerous for me! :)