Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chocolate-Cherry Bomb Oatmeal

Attack of the Chocolate!

I said I was going to bombard you with dessert recipes.

And what better way to begin the attack than with a chocolate-cherry bomb?

cherry oatmeal

Another Crazy Oatmeal Recipe!

You can find all my crazy oatmeal recipes here: All things Oatmeal.

I’m also working on tagging my oatmeal posts.

cherry oats

This recipe was inspired by my favorite Raspberry-Truffle Oatmeal.

Cherry Bomb Oatmeal

• 1 serving raw oats (40g)
  • 1 cup frozen cherries (100g)
  • salt (I used very scant 1/4 tsp)
  • about 1 cup water (240g) (or nondairy milk)
  • 1-2 T creamer (I used 15g Silk)
  • optional: chocolate (See procedure, below)
  • sweetener: I didn’t use any, but most people will want some.*

*In place of sugar, you can use the Melted Banana Trick.

Procedure: The night before, I microwave the oats, salt, and water in a large pyrex measuring cup for 3 minutes (2 minutes if using quick oats). Then I leave it in the microwave for 5 more minutes before transferring—uncovered—to the fridge. Next day, I add the other ingredients, stir, and microwave again until the cherries melt into the oats. You can even blend it all together if you wish! The Magic Bullet is great for this. As for the chocolate… well, everyone knows that cherries and chocolate go great together, right? So add some chips, nibs, powder, whatever!

cherry oats

Speaking of cherries…

Huge thanks to Glamour for featuring my Cherry Crumble Bars.

I was jumping up and down. Might’ve scared a few people in my excitement. Oops.

Question of the Day:

Chocolate in oatmeal: yay or nay?

Chocolate at breakfast in general: yay or nay? I subscribe to the notion that it is never too early for chocolate!

Tags: , , , ,

1. The cherries make it so pretty and pink! Chocolate in oats for me is kinda a nay… I tend to keep them a bit more savory

2. i flippin LOVE the flavor combo here!!! walsjdklfsjdk i love you!

3. saskia says:

You’ve Bern featured in glamour? The american Version of the kind of fashion magazine? Can i see the article anywhere?:) oh, and congrats! Looks yummy as usual!:) both thumbs UP!:)

4. saskia says:

Sry, i meant *been!;) oh, and i totally love breakfast including chocolate;)

5. YAY YAY YAY for chocolate for breakfast!:D And these cherry oatmeal comes just in time for the cherries my mum just bought! 😀

6. what a amazing pink colour!! chocolate for breakfast?! of course! 😉

7. Shanna-Banana says:

Chocolate for breakfast? OF COURSE!!! Love your food photography here. <3 Actually, I made Cherry Overnight Oatmeal (using your "voluminous oatmeal" trick) not too long ago, with Rainer cherries, since they're in season and on sale at the grocery. They were DELICIOUS! I called it "Shirley Temple" Oatmeal, and I used my handy-dandy food processor to puree them with vanilla the night before. Next time, I'll definitely be making them with dark cacao powder. 😉

1. Oh I LOVE your name for it!!!

1. Shanna-Banana says:

Thanks; I thought it was kind of a cute name. (-:

8. Jenny says:

Ahh! What a gorgeous breakfast! Yes, cherries and chocolate DO pair wonderfully together. 😀 Actually, what am I saying? Chocolate pairs well with almost anything – even if it’s just at the end of a meal as dessert rather than the main component.

As for your question of the day… Are you serious?! I say “yay”! Cocoa powder is healthy and full of antioxidants, so why not include it in breakfast? 🙂 I love breakfasts that involve chocolate! Always something to look forward to upon waking~

9. Chocolate in oatmeal is a YAY! Especially chocolate chips in hot oats – they get all melty and delicious.

10. I do chocolate in oatmeal all the time. I usually go for cocoa powder. Aside from the fact that it tastes fabulous, there are so many health benefits to cocoa, and a tablespoon or two in oats is one of the easiest ways to work it in. Occasionally, if I have some chocolate shavings or chips left over from a recipe, they’re a really fun addition.

11. OH MY GOSH! Katie, I LOVE YOU!!!

12. Chocolate in oatmeal doesn’t work for me! The only way I like chocolate and oatmeal together is in granola bars or cookies! lol.

13. Em says:

That looks so pretty katie!!!!!!!! i love pink! (-;

14. Lisa says:

yum! that looks good! and Im kind of happy it doesnt require stovetop cooking. perfect for a dorm room 🙂 although ill have to get my hands on some pitted, frozen cherries. grr. hahah
    and congrats on Glamour, thats awesome- thats like my dream!!
    hahah && dont hate, but I would have to say nay to chocolate at breakfast. I need light and fruity things early, chocolate, however, can be enjoyed anytime after 11 am for me 🙂

1. Haha as I always tell people who aren’t as in love with chocolate as I am: I love you guys!! It means more chocolate in the world for me! 😉

15. Green Groats says:

YAY to chocolate anytime!

16. Amber K says:

Hmm..I have chocolate peanut butter with my breakfast every morning. It would never occur to me to question whether chocolate belongs at breakfast or not… lol

17. Amanda says:

congrats on getting your recipe in a glamour magazine article! You put so much time and effort into your posts and it really shows!

18. YAY! ….Always a literal YAY! 🙂 Your parfait looks great, nice picture!

19. Katie says:

I have chocolate in my oatmeal… oh… every morning? It’s either cocoa powder or it’s cinnamon sugar, unless I’m trying something creative. I totally eat a big bowl of overnight oats and the frozen almond milk ice cream from you like every single morning. Both with loads of cocoa powder. It is delicious and amazing.

20. Alyssa says:

Chocolate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack: that’s my kinda diet, lol!
    OK, off to check out the “Glamour” article.