Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate-Cherry Bomb Oatmeal

Attack of the Chocolate!

I said I was going to bombard you with dessert recipes.

And what better way to begin the attack than with a chocolate-cherry bomb?

cherry oatmeal

Another Crazy Oatmeal Recipe!

You can find all my crazy oatmeal recipes here: All things Oatmeal.

I’m also working on tagging my oatmeal posts.

cherry oats

This recipe was inspired by my favorite Raspberry-Truffle Oatmeal.

Cherry Bomb Oatmeal

• 1 serving raw oats (40g)
  • 1 cup frozen cherries (100g)
  • salt (I used very scant 1/4 tsp)
  • about 1 cup water (240g) (or nondairy milk)
  • 1-2 T creamer (I used 15g Silk)
  • optional: chocolate (See procedure, below)
  • sweetener: I didn’t use any, but most people will want some.*

*In place of sugar, you can use the Melted Banana Trick.

Procedure: The night before, I microwave the oats, salt, and water in a large pyrex measuring cup for 3 minutes (2 minutes if using quick oats). Then I leave it in the microwave for 5 more minutes before transferring—uncovered—to the fridge. Next day, I add the other ingredients, stir, and microwave again until the cherries melt into the oats. You can even blend it all together if you wish! The Magic Bullet is great for this. As for the chocolate… well, everyone knows that cherries and chocolate go great together, right? So add some chips, nibs, powder, whatever!

cherry oats

Speaking of cherries…

Huge thanks to Glamour for featuring my Cherry Crumble Bars.

I was jumping up and down. Might’ve scared a few people in my excitement. Oops.

Question of the Day:

Chocolate in oatmeal: yay or nay?

Chocolate at breakfast in general: yay or nay? I subscribe to the notion that it is never too early for chocolate!

Tags: , , , ,

1. The cherries make it so pretty and pink! Chocolate in oats for me is kinda a nay… I tend to keep them a bit more savory

2. i flippin LOVE the flavor combo here!!! walsjdklfsjdk i love you!

3. Lenna says:

Chocolate is the most important part of breakfast :)

4. saskia says:

You’ve Bern featured in glamour? The american Version of the kind of fashion magazine? Can i see the article anywhere?:) oh, and congrats! Looks yummy as usual!:) both thumbs UP!:)

1. saskia says:

woooah cool:))

5. Jen says:

Chocolate at breakfast time is always a yay! I love putting a heaping scoop of cocoa powder in my smoothies. I do the same thing with oatmeal. Nothing wrong with chocolate first thing in the morning! This might be in my head, but I really think I have more energetic workouts after eating a breakfast with chocolate.

6. saskia says:

Sry, i meant *been!;) oh, and i totally love breakfast including chocolate;)

7. YAY YAY YAY for chocolate for breakfast!:D And these cherry oatmeal comes just in time for the cherries my mum just bought! 😀

8. what a amazing pink colour!! chocolate for breakfast?! of course! 😉

9. Shanna-Banana says:

Chocolate for breakfast? OF COURSE!!! Love your food photography here. <3 Actually, I made Cherry Overnight Oatmeal (using your "voluminous oatmeal" trick) not too long ago, with Rainer cherries, since they're in season and on sale at the grocery. They were DELICIOUS! I called it "Shirley Temple" Oatmeal, and I used my handy-dandy food processor to puree them with vanilla the night before. Next time, I'll definitely be making them with dark cacao powder. 😉

1. Oh I LOVE your name for it!!!

1. Shanna-Banana says:

Thanks; I thought it was kind of a cute name. (-:

10. Jenny says:

Ahh! What a gorgeous breakfast! Yes, cherries and chocolate DO pair wonderfully together. 😀 Actually, what am I saying? Chocolate pairs well with almost anything – even if it’s just at the end of a meal as dessert rather than the main component.

As for your question of the day… Are you serious?! I say “yay”! Cocoa powder is healthy and full of antioxidants, so why not include it in breakfast? :) I love breakfasts that involve chocolate! Always something to look forward to upon waking~

11. Chocolate in oatmeal is a YAY! Especially chocolate chips in hot oats – they get all melty and delicious.

12. I do chocolate in oatmeal all the time. I usually go for cocoa powder. Aside from the fact that it tastes fabulous, there are so many health benefits to cocoa, and a tablespoon or two in oats is one of the easiest ways to work it in. Occasionally, if I have some chocolate shavings or chips left over from a recipe, they’re a really fun addition.

13. OH MY GOSH! Katie, I LOVE YOU!!!

14. um yesssssss to chocolate in oatmeal! chocolate in anything = ok with meeeeee!!!
    and the cherry oatmeal looks so prettyyy!!!!! ALMOST too good to eat…almost…

15. Chocolate in oatmeal doesn’t work for me! The only way I like chocolate and oatmeal together is in granola bars or cookies! lol.

16. Em says:

That looks so pretty katie!!!!!!!! i love pink! (-;

17. Lisa says:

yum! that looks good! and Im kind of happy it doesnt require stovetop cooking. perfect for a dorm room :) although ill have to get my hands on some pitted, frozen cherries. grr. hahah
    and congrats on Glamour, thats awesome- thats like my dream!!
    hahah && dont hate, but I would have to say nay to chocolate at breakfast. I need light and fruity things early, chocolate, however, can be enjoyed anytime after 11 am for me :)

1. Haha as I always tell people who aren’t as in love with chocolate as I am: I love you guys!! It means more chocolate in the world for me! 😉

18. Green Groats says:

YAY to chocolate anytime!

19. Amber K says:

Hmm..I have chocolate peanut butter with my breakfast every morning. It would never occur to me to question whether chocolate belongs at breakfast or not… lol

20. Amanda says:

congrats on getting your recipe in a glamour magazine article! You put so much time and effort into your posts and it really shows!

21. YAY! ….Always a literal YAY! :) Your parfait looks great, nice picture!

22. Katie says:

I have chocolate in my oatmeal… oh… every morning? It’s either cocoa powder or it’s cinnamon sugar, unless I’m trying something creative. I totally eat a big bowl of overnight oats and the frozen almond milk ice cream from you like every single morning. Both with loads of cocoa powder. It is delicious and amazing.

23. Alyssa says:

Chocolate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack: that’s my kinda diet, lol!
    OK, off to check out the “Glamour” article.

24. Aja says:

MM, this sounds so good I wish I could stomach oatmeal!

25. Chocolate all day every day, in everything! Okay maybe not everything. But definitely in my oats, on my banana soft serve, in my snacks…

26. Chocolate for breakfast: Yay

Chocolate all day long: yay

27. I just put chocolate chips in my oatmeal the other day & it was delicious! I agree that it’s never too early for chocolate!

28. haha i just sent this page to my mom who is currently in Vancouver and told her “Mom, should i make us this when you come back?” … she is coming home tonight and her reply to me just now was “CHOCOLATE CHERRY BOMB! YES! This would be so yummy!”

i’ve got some cherries left in the fridge so i can’t argue with mama.. what she wants she gets 😉

1. Aww that made me smile so much! I hope she likes it! My momma is currently on vacation too… in England. Too far away for me to make her oatmeal :(. LOL she’s probably getting lotsa mashed potatoes and french fries and other pub-type food!

29. Jennifer says:

I don’t think that I ever really had chocolate with breakfast until I started reading your blog–now I do it regularly. Katie, you have vastly improved my life!

1. LOL must spread the chocolate love. That is my mission in life!!!

30. Oh yes chocolate for breakfast. I sometimes just eat abig square of unsweetened chocolate for breakfast only! Roommates think I’m crazy by now anyways. I love cherry choc. combo so so much!

31. Love the sound of this recipe (and that photo at the end). I’ve tried chocolate cherry porridge with dried cherries before, but definitely think I should try this version with the fresh cherries. Oh and chocolate in breakfast = yay! 😀

32. Andrew Smith says:

I really like this post, you have confirmed to me again that I am not the only one who has chocolate with most meals and who gets giddy about oatmeal :) Thanks for another great post

33. Elise says:

Chocolate in porridge is a yay from me…though not too often, I have more of a salty taste than sweet/cocoa!! As for cherries in my porridge that is a huge YES, but then you know that because you commented on my cherry bakewell porridge post!

34. I love cherries and chocolate together! Have you seen the new chocolate cherry larabar!!?!?!

1. LOL do you mean the Jocalat flavor that they retired?

1. No they actually came out with a new larabar flavor!!! I just saw it in my local health food store!!!

2. Wha???! No way! It’s not even on their website yet! Or anywhere online. Too cool… I want one!

35. Ragnhild says:

MmM- not many thing beats the cherry-chocolate combo! This looks amazing!
    YES!! Chocolate IS breakfast!! i often just have a cup of green tea and a few pieces of dark chocolate- its the best start to the day ever!!

36. That’s so awesome that your cherry crumble bars were featured!!! I am ALWAYS a fan of chocolate in oatmeal (or in pretty much any recipe). :)

37. Lorin says:

I like to have chocolate in some form for breakfast, but I think peanut butter is more used in my breakfasts. Congrats on the Glamour article!

1. See my chia winners post. Hint hint 😉

38. Emilia says:

I la, la loveeeeee cherries and am totally on the cherry kick as of late. But who isn’t in the blogworld? I love cherries with chocolate and coconut in smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, bars or just by themselves!

39. It’s crazy, as in crazy good. Of course you should add chocolate to oatmeal.

BTW, I have the same dessert glasses :-)

1. Hehe I only have one! I think it was like $2! Gotta love cheap dishware, right? 😉

40. Too early for chocolate?! Impossible.

It’s always time for chocolate on my watch :)

41. Chocolate in oatmeal is the best! Like a melted oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. :)

42. WOOO-HOOO Katie!! How exciting!! And chocolate + cherry is my favorite combination EVER. Have you tried Kristen Suzanne’s Chocolate Cherry Bomb Shake? It is incredible!!!

1. I’d seen the recipe on others’ blogs, in passing, a while back. But I’d never actually checked it out. I’m off to do that now!

43. Katherine says:

This makes me want some raspberry oatmeal! Don’t know why lol

It also just put “ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb” in my head!

44. I’m right there with you on the chocolate front. It’s never too early, or late, i.e. midnight snacks!, for chocolate.

Love the images. So bright and crisp.

And re-tagging all your oatmeal posts. Oh the joy. I bet you can hardly wait. Aren’t blog maintenance projects fun? :)

1. Oh yeah. Fun fun fun.
      lol like updating your recipe archives. Ugh.

45. Emilia says:

This. Looks. So. Good. As all your recipes do, really! I’m a huge fan of chocolate in oatmeal, it makes oatmeal even MORE fun and delicious!

46. kate says:

oh yum I would have no problem getting out of bed if I knew this was waiting for me!

47. Ellen says:

Yay on chocolate in just about everything. Actually, I feel the same way about oatmeal:)

48. Albizia says:

Yay for chocolate on everything sweet! :) And chocolate with cherries? Deeelicious!

49. Ashley C says:

you were featured in Glamour magazine!!! Congrats thats amazing!! Cant wait to try this recipe, I love the combo of cherry and chocolate :)

50. Ann Claire says:

Yum!! Chocolate in oatmeal is a definite yay!!!

51. BroccoliHut says:

Definitely yay to chocolate at breakfast–especially in oats!! I just wrote a post about all the different ways I love chocolate at breakfast–waffles, parfaits, oatmeal, smoothies…

52. Chocolate is my “good luck” of choice before a morning exam. Pop a square of dark chocolate and I’m off!

That cherry bomb looks good! I’d probably just eat it cold though! Chocolate and cherries taste good to me cold, but not room temp or warm. I’m weird.

1. You’re not weird! I almost always prefer my oatmeal cold!

53. Nikki says:

Just stumbled upon your blog and I am so glad I did!! This looks INCREDIBLE! :) Thanks for sharing!

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me! :)

54. michelle says:

Chocolate in oatmeal? yay times 10

55. Marianne says:

Chocolate goes with pretty much everything – breakfast, oatmeal, bacon…oh yes, you heard me. Chocolate makes everything more amazing.

56. Amber says:

Chocolate in oatmeal is a def YAY! Chocolate at the start of the day is always a yay.

57. Vogelstar says:

Why not? I think it’s not about what you eat when but rather the whole collection of things you eat over time that gives you health and vitality. I’ve been laughed at by coworkers who see me eating chocolate at 9am. Let them laugh! They didn’t see the broiled veggies i had for dinner the night before :)

58. whitney says:

Dang good thing I bought cherries today! :))))

59. Juliana says:

Katie, when I first found your website, I fell in love with it! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing recipes! Quick question, why do you microwave oats the night before? Thanks!:)

60. lisa says:

Oh, my goodness. I love your recipes. Most of the time tho, I make myself not make them. They are healthy, but calories are my downfall. I love your blog!

61. Fionna says:

Yay, definitely! I love chocolate in Oatmeal… and in baked Oatmeal…. or anything chocolate, really. Also cherries and chocolate are awesome in comination – apparently, I really like Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal with some cherries in it… or with cocoa powder and spinach, if I feel more like veggies…
    For some reason I adore spinach in my pastery… its kinda weird :)