Gooey PB&J Blondies

Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

In blondie form.

pbjblonde

Recently, a friend asked if I’d make my famous Chocolate-Chip Blondies.

When she wanted to know her daughter’s choice of cake flavors for her birthday party, the little girl answered, “No cake. Chocolate-Covered Katie blondies!”

I have never felt so honored.

pbj bars

I talked with the birthday girl about what she’d like, and we decided that I’d not make chocolate-chip blondies, but a new flavor: pb and jelly!

Gooey PB&J Blondies

Based off of my Chocolate-Chip Blondies

• 1 can garbanzo beans (or white beans), drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (not unsalted)
  • 1/4 cup quick oats
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar (feel free to use less or sub some with stevia)
  • 1/2 cup jam of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except jam) until very smooth. Scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. (If you want fatter blondies, don’t spread all the way to the sides.) Spread the jam on top and bake for 35-38 minutes.

These are also very similar to the Snickerdoodle Blondies.

Nutrition Info: I haven’t calculated nutritional info, but a commenter said the blondies have 120 calories if cut into 16 squares. Since the first two photos don’t do a good job of conveying the blondies’ beauty, here’s what the final version of the blondies looked like, jelly and all:

Up close, personal, and super gooey.

I wasn’t at the actual party, but my friend said the kids polished off the blondies in record time.

browniebatterwork

She also served Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip.

When I heard this, I tried not to think about the poor moms whose children attended the party and came home filled with beans.

Question of the Day:

Do you remember any of your childhood birthday parties?

Mine always had a theme: one year was Snow White, another year was 101 Dalmations. And I liked pool parties. My mom would always make an adorable homemade cake to match each year’s specific theme. I’m definitely going to go all out for my future kids’ birthday parties.

Is it a bad thing to want kids just so I can plan their birthday parties? 😉

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Desiree says:

Woohoo! Been patiently (or not) waiting for these! Yum! Can’t wait to make. My mom would also do a cake according to the theme. I’ve had a Barbie cake, school bus cake, a clown cake, you name it. Until I got around 12 when I decided I didn’t like cake anymore (a phase I grew out of), but Pecan Pie! So for a few years I got Pecan Pie for my birthday, still love it, but the once a year at Thanksgiving satisfies me just fine.

2. I’ve never had a birthday party before. But I love the fact that birthdays are just my mum, my dad, my brother and I. The 3 closest people to me whom I love. That’s really enough. 😀

Oh my and that dark chocolate brownie batter dip still looks totally awesome. I’ll never get sick of staring at that picture! Great photography! 😀

3. kate says:

beautiful! absolutely gorgeous!

4. What a lucky little girl! I had ballet parties, scavenger hunt parties, a few surprise parties… I miss those days so much!

5. Jennifer JCD says:

What a lucky birthday girl! I had theme birthday parties too: swimming, sleepover, Rainbow Brite, Space Camp, and my mum always made me a theme cake to go with it. 🙂

6. is it a coincidence i have everything i need for these on hand!?!?!

7. That is sooo awesome that kids want your treats at their birthday parties instead of fattening cake! What a lucky birthday girl!!!

8. Yum! anything with pb and jelly is good to me! I wish I was still 8 and could plan amazing bday parties for myself haha 🙂

9. Since my birthday’s in August (next Tuesday!) I had a few pool parties (renting out the neighborhood pool) and all of the rest at home – my mom always made them really special, with scavenger hunts and water balloon tosses.

1. Ooh happy early birthday!!!

10. Taryn says:

Ok…blondies aside! We need a BABIES BLOWOUT! Ever since your post yesterday I’ve been NEEDING to hear about these Rice Krispie Babies and Skinny Fudge Babies! #impatient

Ps. The blondies look amazing and I’m sure to try them as I’m positive my 3 year old will fall in love!

1. Haha I love how you used a twitter hashtag :). I think I’ll probably end up posting the crispy treat recipe close to September, for “back to school” :).

11. These look great and how cute is it that the kids requested your dessert? My mom made this awesome Little Mermaid birthday cake for my little sister one year. It was two tiered with a fountain, lots of blue gel for water and little mermaid characters in between and all over. It was very cool 🙂

12. That’s really inspiring that they wanted your healthy blondies for dessert! It reminds me of the book by Jessica Seinfeld that incorporates a lot of veggies/fruits hidden in recipes to increase kids’ produce intake. I was skeptical of garbanzo beans (not a huge fan) in dessert but I may have to try these…

1. Melissa says:

If you don’t like garbanzo, white cannellini beans work wonderfully, too. I actually prefer them! I love garbanzos and love the blondies with them but the cannellini ones have a smoother texture that is really nice. 🙂

13. Oh my gosh, that’s so cute AND it’s a huge compliment. because kids always say what they’re thinking! they’re the most honest judges of food I’ve found!

My mom used to always make us cookie cakes instead of regular cakes!

14. Lauren W says:

Yum!! 😀 PB&J + blondies=perfect dessert without chocolate!

15. Jenny says:

Aww! Love today’s question of the day. Brings back so many fond memories!

My birthday parties ALWAYS had themes, too! My mom created some true magic when she planned my parties with/for me. (I was involved in decision-making, of course, but I think we all know that the moms are the ones putting in a lot of, if not most or all of, the work in the execution of the party!) I think my campfire-themed birthday party was my favourite. We had a sleepover in tents, roasted marshmallows over a bonfire, told stories around the fire… Good times!

I agree with Lauren W: PB&J Blondies are truly the perfect dessert if, for some incomprehensible reason, you don’t feel like chocolate! And you’re right as well – it IS a huge honour to have a kid pick one of YOUR recipes and ask YOU for help. It just goes to show how amazing you, your personality, and your desserts are. 🙂

16. KT says:

I’m going to be making these very soon!!! Thanks Katie!

17. My mom always did a fabulous job with our birthday parties. I have never liked regular cake, so she had to get creative every year with my “birthday cake”. I had things ranging from truffle brownies to cheesecake.

1. Truffle brownies sound way better than cake! I was never big on the cake either… I liked the ice cream much better ;).

18. Jesse says:

These look delicious, I can’t wait to try them! I have a black bean brownie recipe that I love but I never thought to make blodies with white beans, such a good idea. I just might have to add beans to my caramel blondie recipe!

19. Kat says:

what a fun recipe! I love that the kids were digging the healthier snacks!

20. Amber K says:

PB & J blondies sound amazing, but after I made black bean brownies once (BLECH) I just don’t know if I could get down with these… maybe one day I’ll be brave enough to try again.