Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Gooey PB&J Blondies

Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

In blondie form.

Recently, a friend asked if I’d make my famous Chocolate-Chip Blondies.

When she wanted to know her daughter’s choice of cake flavors for her birthday party, the little girl answered, “No cake. Chocolate-Covered Katie blondies!”

I have never felt so honored.

pbj bars

I talked with the birthday girl about what she’d like, and we decided that I’d not make chocolate-chip blondies, but a new flavor: pb and jelly!

Gooey PB&J Blondies

Based off of my Chocolate-Chip Blondies

• 1 can garbanzo beans (or white beans), drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (not unsalted)
  • 1/4 cup quick oats
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar (feel free to use less or sub some with stevia)
  • 1/2 cup jam of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except jam) until very smooth. Scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. (If you want fatter blondies, don’t spread all the way to the sides.) Spread the jam on top and bake for 35-38 minutes.

These are also very similar to the Snickerdoodle Blondies.

Nutrition Info: I haven’t calculated nutritional info, but a commenter said the blondies have 120 calories if cut into 16 squares. Since the first two photos don’t do a good job of conveying the blondies’ beauty, here’s what the final version of the blondies looked like, jelly and all:

Up close, personal, and super gooey.

I wasn’t at the actual party, but my friend said the kids polished off the blondies in record time.

She also served Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip.

When I heard this, I tried not to think about the poor moms whose children attended the party and came home filled with beans.

Question of the Day:

Do you remember any of your childhood birthday parties?

Mine always had a theme: one year was Snow White, another year was 101 Dalmations. And I liked pool parties. My mom would always make an adorable homemade cake to match each year’s specific theme. I’m definitely going to go all out for my future kids’ birthday parties.

Is it a bad thing to want kids just so I can plan their birthday parties? 😉

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Desiree says:

Woohoo! Been patiently (or not) waiting for these! Yum! Can’t wait to make. My mom would also do a cake according to the theme. I’ve had a Barbie cake, school bus cake, a clown cake, you name it. Until I got around 12 when I decided I didn’t like cake anymore (a phase I grew out of), but Pecan Pie! So for a few years I got Pecan Pie for my birthday, still love it, but the once a year at Thanksgiving satisfies me just fine.

2. I’ve never had a birthday party before. But I love the fact that birthdays are just my mum, my dad, my brother and I. The 3 closest people to me whom I love. That’s really enough. 😀

Oh my and that dark chocolate brownie batter dip still looks totally awesome. I’ll never get sick of staring at that picture! Great photography! 😀

3. Emily says:

Ohmygoodness. I just made a batch of your guilt free cookies (and ate the whole thing for lunch) but now I wish I would have waited to make these! There is no way I’m turning on the oven again today though.
    I always had themes too! I remember The Little Mermaid and a Luau specifically. My friend’s birthday is Monday and I’m in charge of the cake. She wants a cookie cake so I think I’ll make your cookie pie! My friends are fully aware that anything I make will include “hippie” ingredients as they like to call them, so the beans will be awesome.

1. I’m so excited you made the cookies! And lol I loooove luaus… maybe because there’s always coconut involved?? :)

4. kate says:

beautiful! absolutely gorgeous!

5. What a lucky little girl! I had ballet parties, scavenger hunt parties, a few surprise parties… I miss those days so much!

6. Jennifer JCD says:

What a lucky birthday girl! I had theme birthday parties too: swimming, sleepover, Rainbow Brite, Space Camp, and my mum always made me a theme cake to go with it. :)

7. is it a coincidence i have everything i need for these on hand!?!?!

8. That is sooo awesome that kids want your treats at their birthday parties instead of fattening cake! What a lucky birthday girl!!!

9. Yum! anything with pb and jelly is good to me! I wish I was still 8 and could plan amazing bday parties for myself haha :)

10. Since my birthday’s in August (next Tuesday!) I had a few pool parties (renting out the neighborhood pool) and all of the rest at home – my mom always made them really special, with scavenger hunts and water balloon tosses.

1. Ooh happy early birthday!!!

11. Taryn says:

Ok…blondies aside! We need a BABIES BLOWOUT! Ever since your post yesterday I’ve been NEEDING to hear about these Rice Krispie Babies and Skinny Fudge Babies! #impatient

Ps. The blondies look amazing and I’m sure to try them as I’m positive my 3 year old will fall in love!

1. Haha I love how you used a twitter hashtag :). I think I’ll probably end up posting the crispy treat recipe close to September, for “back to school” :).

12. These look great and how cute is it that the kids requested your dessert? My mom made this awesome Little Mermaid birthday cake for my little sister one year. It was two tiered with a fountain, lots of blue gel for water and little mermaid characters in between and all over. It was very cool :)

13. That’s really inspiring that they wanted your healthy blondies for dessert! It reminds me of the book by Jessica Seinfeld that incorporates a lot of veggies/fruits hidden in recipes to increase kids’ produce intake. I was skeptical of garbanzo beans (not a huge fan) in dessert but I may have to try these…

1. Melissa says:

If you don’t like garbanzo, white cannellini beans work wonderfully, too. I actually prefer them! I love garbanzos and love the blondies with them but the cannellini ones have a smoother texture that is really nice. :)

14. Oh my gosh, that’s so cute AND it’s a huge compliment. because kids always say what they’re thinking! they’re the most honest judges of food I’ve found!

My mom used to always make us cookie cakes instead of regular cakes!

15. Lauren W says:

Yum!! 😀 PB&J + blondies=perfect dessert without chocolate!

16. Ann Claire says:

Yum! That is so cute that she asked for your blondies.
    “Is it a bad thing to want kids just so I can plan their birthday parties? ” Nope not at all. Is is bad that I just want little girls so I can dress them in the adorable clothes I see every time I walked by the little girl section at clothing stores? :)

1. Oh me too! And ugh, all my friends are having boys. Boy clothes are just not as fun!

17. Jenny says:

Aww! Love today’s question of the day. Brings back so many fond memories!

My birthday parties ALWAYS had themes, too! My mom created some true magic when she planned my parties with/for me. (I was involved in decision-making, of course, but I think we all know that the moms are the ones putting in a lot of, if not most or all of, the work in the execution of the party!) I think my campfire-themed birthday party was my favourite. We had a sleepover in tents, roasted marshmallows over a bonfire, told stories around the fire… Good times!

I agree with Lauren W: PB&J Blondies are truly the perfect dessert if, for some incomprehensible reason, you don’t feel like chocolate! And you’re right as well – it IS a huge honour to have a kid pick one of YOUR recipes and ask YOU for help. It just goes to show how amazing you, your personality, and your desserts are. :)

18. Jen says:

We always had themed parties when I was a kid. We (and by we, I obviously mean my mom) even hired Disney characters to show up and play with all the kids. We had a cake lady who made the most amazing cakes for us…always in accordance to the theme, of course! I can’t wait to plan my kids’ birthday parties one day. Beans might secretly be on the menu. 😉

19. That’s so sweet of the little girl to have wanted your blondies for her birthday instead of cake! It’s so cute <3 I can't even get my little sister to try a bean based blondie/brownie. I think they're delish, and THESE look amazing. I love anything with PB in it.

Oh I remember me birthday parties…I never enjoyed them, really. I don't get along with the members of my father's side of the family, so that was always uncomfortable feeling. I remember having everything from Barbie themes to Dragonball Z when I was a little older (I was an anime geek ^-^). I ALWAYS had angel food cake with chocolate whipped cream topping…the one recipe in the world that I really really really wish could be vegan. I miss that cake…

20. KT says:

I’m going to be making these very soon!!! Thanks Katie!

21. My mom always did a fabulous job with our birthday parties. I have never liked regular cake, so she had to get creative every year with my “birthday cake”. I had things ranging from truffle brownies to cheesecake.

1. Truffle brownies sound way better than cake! I was never big on the cake either… I liked the ice cream much better ;).

22. Jesse says:

These look delicious, I can’t wait to try them! I have a black bean brownie recipe that I love but I never thought to make blodies with white beans, such a good idea. I just might have to add beans to my caramel blondie recipe!

23. Kat says:

what a fun recipe! I love that the kids were digging the healthier snacks!

24. Amber K says:

PB & J blondies sound amazing, but after I made black bean brownies once (BLECH) I just don’t know if I could get down with these… maybe one day I’ll be brave enough to try again.

25. Ragnhild says:

<3 That is really a honor! And that kid is so lucky to have you! I would love for you to bake for my birtday too 😀
    My future kids MUST have theme birthdays! I have always wanted to host them, so they have no choice 😉

26. These look yummy! I bet the kids didn’t know they were healthier goodies 😉

27. Hahah I actually laughed when you mentioned that the children will be filled with beans when they came home!! :)

28. Aja says:

Mm, yum.
    I only had about three birthday parties ever until I was 15 when my friends threw me a surprise party.

29. That sounds amazing!! I love the color they soak up from the jam. YUM! :)

30. Michaela says:

Have you ever thought of founding your very own party catering company? I am serious.
    I remember lots of my childhood birthday parties. My parents always created fun games and stuff. We all had a ball. I even liked my birthday cake on my 5th birthday, though my fringe caught fire 😀

1. Yes haha that would be fun! Ive also thought about being a professional cupcake-decorator. Can you imagine a cooler job?!

31. Tricia says:

Yummy :) I recently had plenty of Pb and j’s when i went to cross country camp, but i certainly wouldn’t mind them in blondie form 😉
    I think i had like one birthday party when i was six, and I’ve always been in love with carrot cake as a birthday cake, though last birthday, a vegan restaurant actually made me a vegan chocolate cake for my birthday. It was so special :)

32. Winifred says:

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog the other day. Your recipes all look amazing, and I cannot wait to try a few!

I had a lot of theme parties, too, ranging from Winnie the Pooh, to Beatrix Potter, to American Girls, to the Simpsons. My mom always made the most amazing cakes to reflect the theme!

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me!
      I wish I’d had a Beatrix Potter birthday! Peter Rabbit was my favorite… now I’m wondering why I never had one. Is it too late? :)

1. Winifred says:

It’s never too late! Or you could wait until you have kids and live vicariously… :)

33. That’s so sweet that the girl wanted YOUR blondies for her birthday! I don’t blame her 😉

These look incredible!! They’re officially going on my chocolate-covered to make list. (Right now I have pineapple floats, your ranch dressing – which I’m making today!!, and snickerdoodle dip.) And I LOVE how you wrapped the blondies in ribbons for the pictures – too cute! 😀

My birthday parties were always very simple – a few friends over at my house, games, and cake :) Although for my 16th (back in April), I went bowling! Haha, I did terrible, but it was fun anyway! But what was really sad was there was this guy next to us who got nine strikes in a row! It was great for him and all, but it made us feel REALLY bad, lol 😉
    My cakes are definitely what I remember most about my parties. My favorite was my Piglet cake when I was really little (either one, two, or three… I don’t remember hardly anything about those years except that cake!), and my second favorite was this adorable penguin cake my mom made. I also loved the cake she did based on a picture of a horse that I drew – it was such a neat cake! 😀

And it’s definitely not bad to want kids just to plan their birthday parties… or if it is, we can both be held responsible 😉

Oops, sorry for the long comment!

<3 <3

1. Oh my goodness, do not ever apologize for long comments! They are the best! Especially ones about piglet cakes!! 😉

34. Kate says:

It is so nice to find these recipes! My boyfriend is severely allergic to dairy and all of its components — these recipes allow for us to be more healthy and eat desserts. We are most thankful!

1. Aww I am so thankful to YOU for leaving such a sweet comment :).

35. Alyssa says:

One of the best things about having kids is throwing the birthday parties, lol!
    I’m hoping to have some time next week to make a few more recipes. Maybe my picky little eaters will eat veggies disguised as dessert.

36. Sarah says:

OK. So. Guess what? That whole im-gonna-pout-and-not-sing-in-the-shower-if-there’s-no-cookie-recipe episode (temper tantrum?) Remember that? Yeah, well, thats not working out so well. Im sorta loving these blondies. My heart is getting warmer. what about my cookie dream? my FLOURLESS cookie dream. oh well, my heart just melted for Pb &j blondie. who would have guessed?

1. Ok, you are making me laugh more and more with your comments!
      Seriosuly, cannot stop laughing!

37. Girl you know me so well. Up close, personal, and super gooey.

38. These look delicious Katie — no surprise that they were a big hit!

39. Elise says:

The best party I ever had was a peter pan one. Mum decorated all the rooms in the house with a different theme, we had a fairy’s grotto with fairy lights and sweets on strings, the pirates cave full of gold chocolate coins and in the bathroom we played fish for the crocodile eggs (ping pong balls) to win prizes!! I have no idea where she got so creative! x

1. That has got to be the cutest idea ever! I’m writing it down… who says you can’t throw a grown-up Peter-Pan party, right? After all, they never grow up :). Your mom is a genius!

40. Lyza says:

LOL aw :) Kids are so cute. That is an honor!!

The photo at the top was almost my desktop background because it’s so prettyful. LMAO except I know it’d drive me crazy because it’s so yummy looking, so maybe I’ll save it for if there’s a chance I need to go on a weight-gain diet or something!!

1. Haha but then you’d want to eat the screen… that probably wouldn’t taste very good. hence, not eating much. Hence no weight gain ;).

41. Katie those blondies look soooooo good! Wow!!! The combo of PB & J is always a huge WIN. They look so moist and perfect, too!

I remember tons of my childhood parties…from roller skating rink parties to Barbie themed parties to going to the Mall for my birthday party in junior high and just walking around teeny bopper style :)

Those kiddos were LUCKY to have those blondies. No wonder they were polished off, asap!

42. Those look foodgasmic. Ahhhh amazing recipe once again girl!!!

43. kristina says:

Hi there! I just made these, and while the flavor is incredible (I could eat them raw), they just fall apart, when I pick them up. They by no means are as solid as the ones in your picture look. This is the third chick pea recipe of yours that I have tried, and they all have been this way. I wonder what your secret is??!

1. Oh no! I am so sorry :(.
      But I don’t have a secret… and a TON of other people have made the chocolate chip blondies and not had a problem either, so maybe your oven is less powerful and you need to bake them longer? Or… I really don’t know! I’m sorry :(.

2. I had that problem with the chocolate chip one’s when I first tried and found that actually cooking for maybe 10mins less helped make them gooey and hold their structure. My first batch was really crumbly too (but more do to my hot oven and leaving them in at the recommended cooking time, everyone’s oven is different too) Either that or cook at a lower temp try 325 if you stick to the recommended cooking time and check on them around 10 minutes prior to pulling out, they really seem to set up more like a cookies, and whenever i make cookies i always pull them out when look almost done and let them set up and finish cooking on the pan, this method works really well with these. Hope that helps!! They are definitely worth baking again!! 😀 YUM!

1. Thanks so much for taking the time to give advice, Anita! :)
        It’s so frustrating that ovens can be different… even when I go on vacation, I find I have to cook certain recipes for different amounts of time due to different ovens (or microwaves or even outside temperatures and elevations). And it can take a few times of trial and error!

44. OH MY GOSH! You TOTALLY made my day!! I admit I definitely did a little a happy dance when I saw the recipe picked!! Then, I pulled out my can of beans I’ve been saving and made them for an after lunch snack. All I can is YUM!! and Soooooooooooo yummy!! Just out of the oven it was like a warm gooey peanut butter & jelly sandwich. Thanks again for posting your awesomeness!! :)

1. I’m SO excited you already made them! Oh my goodness, you are fast! :)

1. Hey I wasn’t kidding when I said I couldn’t wait to bake them!! I was just wicked excited you posted today so I could make them on my lunch break while working from home! I just came back from a long walk and small dinner and oh my they are even better when they have cooled. These have definitely moved to the #1 spot of your Blondie recipes for me w/ snickerdoodle a very very close 2nd!! 😀

45. Annette says:

Do you think you will ever recreate unhealthy candy bars to healthy desserts? Not peanut butter cups, because there are a million of those recipes already, lol, but like Snickers and Kit Kats. Now that would be an awesome handout for Halloween!

1. A few weeks ago, I actually tried to recreate the Butterfinger. It was awful LOL!
      I’ll keep trying, though :).

1. Annette says:

Mmmm, a healthy butterfinger would be awesome too! I hope you figure out an awesome recipe for that one!

46. Those look awesome! Who doesn’t love anything with PB&J mixed together?!?!

My birthday is in late September, so my birthday parties growing up were always hayrides, bonfires, and scavenger hunts! We always had fun!

47. Nikki says:

When I was really little, I had my birthday party combined with my older sister’s at the local bowling alley. Well, I think I was a little too young to be bowling, and I dropped the ball right on my toes! Needless to say, I got some good bruises and cried for quite a bit! :( Nothing a little birthday cake can’t fix!

48. SO adorable!!! When a little kid asks specifically for you treats, you should be proud! Those kiddies are hard to please 😛

49. I remember one birthday party where my mom set up a huge scavenger hunt for me and my friends. We were running around like crazy being little detectives. It was so much fun!!

50. Trina says:

Hi Katie~ I’m new to your blog but I’ve been so interested in your recipes since starting nutrition school and I’m looking to learn more healthy ways of eating. But I love dessert so finding your site has been a huge help!
    I tried out the choc chip blondie dip and loved it. It was a tad runnier than what your picture seemed to suggest, but I did omit flax and reduced the milk, but maybe should have reduced it a bit more. Either way, it was delicious. My daughter loved it too and she is SO picky.
    Thank you for what you do here.

1. Hey Trina! I’m so glad you found me! Apparently, a lot of other people have the same problem with the dip being runny if they don’t use the optional flax. So I’d leave the extra liquid out completely if you don’t use flax or oats :).

51. Sam says:

Soooo awesome! I laughed when i read the part about the kids and beans! When i was younger i was always sad I couldn’t have a pool party because my birthday was in February 😛

1. You just needed your parents to buy plane tickets for you and all your friends, so you could have a pool party in Hawaii! Come on, parents, that wouldn’t be too much to ask, would it? Just a few plane tickets?? 😉

52. Amanda says:

Hey Katie! If you have a list of reader suggestions, could you add, “healthy icebox cake” to it? I LOVE icebox cake but I would love a vegan/ possibly lower calorie version ever more.

1. I have actually never had icebox cake… I don’t even know what it is! I’ll have to google it!

1. Amanda says:

It is very chocolately… so I think you will like it :) I’m pretty sure you could substitute the heavy cream with silken tofu, but I trust your experimentation more than mine!!

1. CCK says:

You had me at chocolate! 😉

53. Charissa says:

Wow. I’ve been on a PB kick lately…so these look fantastic! Sometimes I just can’t help but dip my spoon right into the PB’s horrible!

1. Desiree says:

I do the same thing! It’s bad. I’ve expanded to rotating between my peanut butter and almond butter.

54. I just realized that you have seem to have an obsession with blondies. A wonderful obsession–keep the recipes coming!!

55. Ooooh yum! My favorite childhood birthday party was (of course) a cupcake decorating party!!!

56. Mellie says:

I always had the best parties growing up. My mom was/is a good party planner.

57. Katherine says:

This recipe and snack is soooo cool!

58. Tara Deal says:

Growing up, my birthday parties were never really themed but they were just huge slumber parties!! Don’t feel bad though…I can’t WAIT to plan themed to the max parties for my kids someday!! :)

59. Lisa says:

I’m so happy you posted the blondies! I will definitely have to make these tomorrow. I love how gooey the blondies and deep dish cookie pie get with the beans, yum!

60. BroccoliHut says:

My birthday is in December, which is right around when new Disney movies come out in theaters, so all my parties revolved around that. My favorites were the Beauty and the Beast party and the Aladdin party:)

61. Leslie Paquette says:

Haha, when I read the part about the poor mom’s not knowing how many beans their kids had consummed I started laughing. Those look delish and I most certainly will try the recipe soon.

62. Tara says:

Why wasn’t I invited to this party?! I think that is my kind of kid. I wish my sister was begging me for chocolate covered katie snacks… but I guess I really haven’t exposed her yet. I’m thinking of making one of your recipes for the block party, where I know they will go like (chocolate covered) hot cakes!

All my childhood parties were luaus. I was obsessed with hawaii and the tropics. My attic is filled with hula skirts, leis, and coconut bras now!

1. CCK says:

LOL! I have a coconut bra too, from a luau ice cream party I had a few years ago. Somehow a party isn’t a party until there’s a coconut bra involved! After that party, one of my friends now wears a coconut bra to every party he goes to, no matter the theme 😕 :-?.

63. Lindsay says:

I finally made your chocolate chip blondies today, and added some cocoa powder for fun. I have to say, I was way skeptical about garbanzo beans as a main ingredient for a dessert, but they turned out AMAZING! SO DELICIOUS! Even my boyfriend loved them – he couldn’t believe it.

I am so glad that you’re going to blog full time. You’re awesome!

1. CCK says:

I think it always makes me happiest to hear when GUYS like my recipes… ’cause they’re the ones who usually are more skeptical about health food (all my guy friends anyway!). I’m so excited you liked the blondies!

64. Erin says:

Since this is another infamous blondie post… I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to let you know that your deep dish cookie pie recipe freezes wonderfully…. and tastes delicious thawed and cool!

Also… so glad to hear you’re following your dreams and keeping up the wonderful work :)

1. CCK says:

Good to know it freezes well… although this information might be dangerous ;).

65. Ashley C says:

If I were those little kids parents I would be pretty please my kid came home full of healthy beans rather than sugar!! Ill never forget my “Barbie” birthday party!! I had a really tall pink cake that looked like a barbie dress and it had a plastic Barbie from the torso up sticking out the top!! I wish I could say it tasted good, but I actually didnt get to eat it, my dog did :( Haha

1. CCK says:

Oh no! :(

When we were very little, my mom thought my sister and I were such clean eaters because the floor around our high chairs was always so clean. Turned out it was my DOG who was keeping things so clean!

66. Marianne says:

I remember some of my birthday parties – they were always at home, because going somewhere with all of your friends is just too expensive. One year I had an Alf ice cream cake…I thought it was the coolest thing! Ooooh, or the cookie monster cake I had when I was like, 2. That was a sweet cake.

Speaking of birthdays…mine is in just 7 days! Wee!

1. CCK says:

Happy early birthday!! (I will, of course, try to remember to wish it again on the actual day!)

67. Liz says:

Yum! Saw this on foodgawker. Excited to try!

68. Sarah says:

Yay! I’m your 100th comment on this post! :)

69. These look so good, I am making them this weekend! My bday parties were always sooo much fun when I was little, but I don’t recall having specific themes.

70. Rebecca says:

A delicious way to sneak in veggies for the kids 😉 I made black bean brownies once and gave them to my dad without telling him. He loved them haha!

71. Desiree says:

Made these today with the help of my little ones. The are currently negotiating with me about having yet another one. It’s nice because I don’t feel guilty about it! Remind me of peanut butter cookies. The smell of peanut butter cookies certainly filled my home while they were cooking. Another great recipe Katie. I love them and so do the kiddos!

P.S. For those calorie conscious folks, these are about 121 calories per serving when cut into 16 squares. Yummy!

1. Awesome! I am so so happy they like the blondies! And thank you so much for calculating the calories for me. (I hate doing that lol!) I’ll link to your comment so others who are interested can see :).

1. Desiree says:

I know it’s a pain and I don’t like doing it either, but I do it anyway! You do enough coming up with the recipes, beautiful photos and sharing, I don’t think it’s that hard for the rest of us who do count calories to do so ourselves :)

72. Oh my gosh. Those look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!

73. VeggieGirl says:

Um, may I have some of those for my next birthday? Please? 😀

1. Haha *makes a note*
      If I remember correctly, your birthday is in April! :)

1. VeggieGirl says:

Bingo, sweet friend – you remembered! :)

74. Kayla says:

Going to make these today!!

Is the second picture you show of them with the jelly on top? Or did it get baked in?

1. You put the jelly on top before baking (but after processing the other ingredients). Then it looks like that after you bake. :)

75. Lorin says:

So, this one doesn’t have flax in it compared to the chocolate chip blondies, is it gooey without it?

1. It has quick oats in place of the flax.

76. I’m so amazed that there are beans in these!! It’s practically a meal – I love it! I so look forward to trying these!

77. christina says:

I found your site by accident this week and was really, really intrigued by the recipes. I’m always looking for dessert alternatives both for myself (can’t have sugar) and to have better versions for my kids. I made these last night, as well as one hot fudge bars.

I have *never* left a comment on a recipe site before, and I use them a lot. These were absolutely amazing. THANK YOU, so much.

1. Oh my word. I think this is one of my favorite comments ever. The fact that you’ve never left a comment but just had to do so today really makes it so meaningful to me! Thank you so much for taking the time to make me smile! :)

1. christina says:

I’m so glad!! I can’t wait to make everything :) and I’ve told pretty much everyone I know about you and that they NEED to try our these recipes! Thank you, so very, very much!! :)

1. Thank YOU so very much! :) Really and truly, it means so much to me!

78. Samantha says:

Made these last night and they are delicious!! Thanks for a fabulous recipe, Katie!

1. Thank YOU for trying them! I am so glad you liked them :).

79. Laura says:

Made these last night using Cannellini Beans! Thought you may like to know they came out just as lovely as with Garbanzo.. Also, Instead of making one big bar, I made them in mini muffin tins.. and treated each row to a different flavour jam, and did one row with chocolate chips! Perfect 😀

1. Oh my gosh, Laura, that is a genius idea! Pb&j muffins?! And I love the idea of different flavors. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

80. Jessie says:

This site = BEST THING EVER. I found it when I was looking up sugar free recipes. I can’t have regular sugar and flour and these recipes are just what i’ve been looking for!! I’m also in the process (heavily thinking about and planning) of becoming a vegetarian, so this just motivates me more knowing that I can have totally awesome treats without sacrificing deliciousness. For real, Katie, you’re fantastic. Thank you so much. Every time I see that you’ve posted something new in my emails just makes my day.

1. Awwwww Jessie, thank you SO much!

81. Elise says:

I made these for my bf and myself last night. I love the idea and the taste was pretty good but they weren’t gooey at all! I think I made a mistake with the amount of beans I used… I got the standard size can of garbanzo beans, which was 19fl oz or 540ml (I am a canuck so it is very possible that “standard” is different!). I noticed that other recipes on the site specify a 250g can, which I assume would be 250ml. If you have any feedback/recommendations on this I would really appreciate it. I’d definitely try to make these again.

My bf has an egg allergy paired with a real sweet tooth, which I share – I am definitely a chocolate at least once but usually twice a day girl myself – so I am really looking forward to trying some of your other recipes. I have had way too much fun distracting myself from my studies by looking through your blog!

1. Hmm… no I think your can is fine (it’s supposed to be 250g beans after they’re rinsed). So I’m not sure what could’ve happened :(. Maybe a mismeasurement of something? I don’t know… but they’re definitely supposed to be gooey! I feel so badly that they didn’t work for you!

1. Elise says:

No worries Katie, I’ll try them again sometime and see if I can adjust the ingredients/baking time so that they are gooier. I am an avid baker and have had many recipes not turn out right because there was some incredibly minor change from the condition in which the recipe was created!

On the upside I made the Hot Fudge Lara Bars – they turned out perfectly and were delicious. I did have one major problem though… they disappeared within a couple of days (into my mouth)! So much for making my snacks for the week ><

82. This looks great! Any sub ideas for oats? I’m gluten AND oat intolerant. Sigh.

1. Kamut flakes? Or ground flaxmeal?

83. dc says:

Made these today, halved the recipe since I was pretty sure I’d end up eating the entire thing… and I was right! Luckily, my husband came home and I made him finish the rest. He thought they were delicious! I’m so glad I found your blog, although you’ve definitely decreased my productivity of getting anything else done around the house :) Thanks again Katie!

1. LOL I am so glad y’all liked them! :)

84. Krista says:

I just slipped these PB&J blondies in the oven. I admit to licking the bowl a little, and I think the dough (minus the jelly on top) would make a yummy peanut butter cup dip if you added chocolate chips to it. It would actually probably be pretty tasty with some jelly swirled around in it as a PB&J dip, too. By the way, my kids are in love with the chocolate chip cookie dough dip. My ten-year-old just realized today that there were chick peas in it. She even watched me make it once and didn’t notice a thing. Love your site and the fact that I can pull a fast one on the kids anytime the mood strikes me.

85. Adair says:

Delicious! I LOVE these. My one year old even devoured one and that means its really good:). Thanks for the awesome recipes. I even like these ones better than the chocolate chip ones.

86. Stefanie says:

There are varying sizes of can’s of garbanzo beans. What oz can would be for this recipe?

87. ann-marie says:

Ohhh I’m so going to try this one very soon =D

88. Heather says:

These look amazing! LOVE pb&j

89. Jenny says:

Hi, Katie! Help! I have three questions for you regarding this recipe. First, what kind of peanut butter did you use? Was it the thick, processed kind like Jif, or the natural peanut butter that’s runny and has oil on top when you buy it? Next, will it work with regular old fashioned oats, or is there a reason the quick oats work here? And last, do you blend everything in a regular food processor, or do you use your Vita Mix? I really want to make these; they look fabulous…much like every single thing on your web site!

1. I used Whole Foods natural brand. But ANY will work! :)
      And I’ve never tried old fashioned oats, but I *think* they’d be ok.
      If possible, I would HIGHLY recommend a food processor for this recipe. With a vita, you’d have to do it in batches or the top beans might stay chunky. Eww, right? 😉

1. Jenny says:

Yes, definitely eww! No chunky garbanzos in MY blondies, thank you! I have both a food processor and the vita, and I tried to make brownies in the vita once and the batter was so thick, I suppose from there being nothing in there to keep things moving once the mixture came together. Also, it took all my might to get all the batter off of the blades. It was frustrating to say the least. Thank you for your help, Katie! I can’t wait to try these! :)

1. My biggest gripe with the vita is that you can’t lick the blender blades ;).

1. Jenny says:

Do you lick the blades of the processor? I’m too accident prone and would slice my tongue off!

90. Stacey says:

Is it just me or is it supposed to look like there’s a picture of a pirate on the blondies?

1. Oh my word, I see it! Too funny!

1. Jenny says:

Is that like the Mother Teresa toast???

1. Oh wow, I should put it on ebay!
          Darn it, if only it wasn’t eaten already!

91. Susan says:

Using my Whey Low Gold (brown sugar substitute), PB2 (powdered peanutbutter), and sugar free preserves (have strawberry and half blackberry, YUM!) it has about 50 calories if you cut it into 16 squares. I am excited!!

92. Emily says:

I just made these! Although they were really gooey and yummy, whatever I make from your blog, yours ALWAYS looks and (seemingly tastes) 1000x better than mine! Like these blondies; mine were alot thinner and the coloring was completely different! I follow the recipe completely and feel like it should come out alot better than it is:(

1. I don’t know what to say… I don’t have a photo of your recipe, so I can’t compare it or tell you what might’ve gone wrong when you made them. I can only say all my photos are of the recipes as they come out of my oven, not doctored up with any other ingredients not listed.

93. JamieH says:

These look wonderful! I would like to make them, but I only have regular oatmeal and not quick. Does that make a difference? I see that it all gets blended so I wasn’t sure… I found your site a week or so ago and I can honestly say I am in complete awe of you! All your recipes are so creative and look sooo yummy! They make me seriously consider veganism, however I don’t think that I could get my hubby to agree! :)

1. I think it would be OK, but I have only have used the quick oats, so I can’t be sure. :)

94. Irene says:

My kids and I just love this recipe. Have you or can you develop a brownie recipe with black beans?

1. CCK says:

My first try with black beans didn’t turn out so well, but I am going to keep trying. :)

95. Martha says:

Thanks for putting non-chocolate recipes on your site, sadly I’m allergic to chocolate.

96. Hi Katie! I love everything that you bring to your minions!
    I think that you should watermark all of your photos so that your “Chocolate Covered Katie” is omnipresent on the net and on interest! All of for your benefit and so I don’t have to keep labeling the recipes that I PIN for you! Thank you so much for such great foodie stuff!!!
    xoxo, Chris

1. I resisted for so long, but it looks like I am going to have to do that now. I just can’t believe how many people think it’s ok to post others’ photos and recipes without even giving credit to the original source at all :(.

97. Emily Elijah says:

So I am new to this whole easy cooking thing, so I am sorry if this is a stupid question. But could I put in a smooshed banana instead of garbanzo beans? I am afraid that the beans would add a funny taste, which because I am new to this health food thing, I would notice.

98. Tanisha says:

These are amazing!!!

99. Kaela says:

Fantastic recipe! I made these for a group of kids today and all of them loved them! Thanks.

100. Ilyse says:

I know I am VERY late to the PB&J Blondie party, but I have only recently been trying my hand at these recipes. I made some of the other ones and this one, by far, is the BEST of the bunch!! I opted to replace the brown sugar with five tablespoons of baking Truvia and used sugar-free strawberry jam. I cut it into 12 pieces which came to roughly 83 calories per slice! I will definitely be making these again. Thanks so much for ALL the great recipes and showing people that you can indulge in great tasting foods made with real ingredients without wrecking your health!!!

101. After trying (and loving) your black bean brownies, I am ready to venture onto your blondies. Any chance you’ve tried these with chickpea flour? If so, how much do you recommend (and added water perhaps)? Thanks in advance.

102. Casey says:

These look so yummy! I’m going to make them tomorrow night & bring them into work the following day.

103. Kate says:

These are currently in the oven. I used small (oval) glass baking dishes because I wanted them in smaller portions (for just my husband and me), thicker and I’m hoping I’ll get more yummy edges. I used homemade cardamom-plum jam. I also used regular old fashioned oats because that’s what I had, fresh ground peanut butter (with no salt) but added extra salt in the batter and sprinkled a little Maldon sea salt on the top. We will see how they go! Fingers crossed.

104. Teresa says:

I baked these today, and absolutely love them! I am a pj&j fiend, so I found them irresistible. However, they aren’t for everybody. My dad, for example, found them unnappealing, though he usually loves blondies. So, I would say that if you want a dessert that is universally appealing, Katies’s chocolate chip blondies may be better, because some people just don’t like pb&j that much. Iit’s a great recipe, though, and the texture of the blondies is unbeatable!