Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Blueberry Ketchup???

Does this situation sound familiar:

You’re in the grocery store, ready to pay. But which line to choose???

I feel like I always choose wrong when it comes to picking a grocery-store checkout line. Without fail, I’ll end up in the longest line every time. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. It gives me an excuse to catch up on reading magazines I could never justify purchasing.

This is how I was inspired to make my Healthy Red Velvet Pancakes.

A few days ago, inspiration struck again.

blueberry ketchup

Above, blueberry ketchup with homemade Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.

Blue is better than red.

Stuck in the longest checkout line yet again, I picked up an issue of Family Circle. Right away, a recipe for blueberry ketchup jumped out at me. It sounded so unusual that I had to try. (Although I used the idea from the magazine, what follows is completely my own recipe.)

blue ketchup

Try this on a veggie burger, over bbq tofu or grilled zucchini… or anywhere you’d use ketchup!

Blueberry Ketchup

• 2 cups blueberries
  • 4 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp dry ginger
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia OR 2 tbsp brown sugar

Bring all ingredients to a boil, then simmer 25 minutes. Chill in the fridge. If you want a smooth ketchup, feel free to pulverize the berries with a magic bullet or immersion blender. But this is not necessary.

This would also be a delicious dip for Chickpea Poppers.

blueberry sauce

blueberry dip

berry ketchup

Do you ever read magazines while waiting in line?
And do you ever feel like you always choose the longest checkout line?

I have to admit, I usually go for the tabloids while waiting in line—Us Weekly, People… I laugh at the stories they concoct. And each tabloid tells you something different. For example, did you know that Kate Middleton is pregnant, anorexic, madly in love with Prince William, and divorcing him all at the same time? Poor girl, it sounds like she’s rather busy!

Does anyone remember this stuff:

heinz purple ketchup

Heinz, what were you thinking?

Tags: , , , ,

1. WAHT!?!?!? this is so coool! and so creative! im always immpressed with what you can come up with!!! im ALWAYS IN THE LONGEST LINE!

2. Sarahishealthy says:

Ohmifreakinggosh I am SO trying this! I love ketchup, but I don’t like its high sugar content. And I loooooooove blueberries!

3. In my experience the shortest line is rarely the quickest. Especially when I’m at WalMart. If there’s no one in a particular checker’s line, there’s usually a reason…

4. Lauren W says:

Mmm….that sounds really….interesting 😉 I will try it though. Is it more sweet or savory or both? I love going through magazines when I’m waiting in line!

1. Hmmm… I think it’s more sweet. Sweet and tangy.

5. Sam says:

OMG! I totally forgot about purple (and wasn’t there green too or something?) ketchup! Holy flashbacks. Anyways I am very intrigued by this blueberry ketchup of yours. I’d try it! And probably love it.

1. Haha yes, and–scarily enough–blue!

6. Charlie says:

I need to try this! Must be delicious with sweet potato fries :).

7. How cool! what a great idea! Ugh I always pick the longest check out line, and always read magazines while waiting 🙂

8. I love this! I bet the sweetness of the blueberries is a perfect alternative to overly sweet ketchup. Also sweet potato fries… awesome choice for the photo shoot, they are my fave! Did you make those or are they store bought, they look so perfect!

1. They’re “butter me up fries,” the linked recipe under the first photo :).

9. Lisa C says:

This is so cool! I’m intrigued and will probably have to try it! And oh yes, poor Kate Middleton. I always wanted to be a princess, but now that I’m older and thinking about all the hard work, I probably wouldn’t enjoy it so much. And she has to have her face plastered on all the tabloids, with all sorts of crazy rumors about her.

10. okay… this IS rather weird. I’ve never ever heard of blueberry ketchup before! until today. The pictures look amazing but I’m not too convinced to try it out though! But not to worry… someday I’m going to muster up my couage and overcome my fears of ‘sweet crossing the lineinto salty’s private space TWWWEEET! Policeman whistling… gotta stop!’ thingies. After all, the colours are too beautiful not to have it be seen on my kitchen seems soo wrong.

1. cancel ‘be’, its ‘being’. sorry, grammar mistake 😀

11. that looks delicious! definitely going to have to try!!!!!

12. This looks so interesting! I’m curious – I have to try it!
    PS – Yes, I remember those colored ketchups! I used to have the purple and green colored ones. That was such an odd product. 😛

13. L. says:

This is awesome! Or as you tried to say once, awesome-sauce ;).

14. Leslie says:

Beautiful photos, especially the first one. Those “butter me up” fries look so good right now. I’ll have to click on the recipe as soon as I finish typing this!

I remember those ketchups. They were so weird. Don’t think I ever actually bought one, though.

15. hippierunner says:

I wish I could taste this! And I’m usually good at choosing the right line…I have to be because I don’t shop at any grocery stores that sell magazines!

16. So interesting…I’ll try (almost) anything once, though! And I once made my mom buy green ketchup. I used to put ketchup on my mac n cheese, but I was unable to eat it with green ketchup because it looked like boogers, said young me.

17. I remember the purple ketchup because my school colors in university were purple and white, and they served the purple ketchup with hashbrowns at some crazy midnight purple pancake breakfast.

Blueberry ketchup sounds way better, though!

18. Sarah says:

I do remember it. And I fell for it.. begging my parents to buy it. However I realized afterwards that instead of a nice pretty purple it was a strange grey-ish color that was not appealing at all even when eaten with french fries. Yuck.

19. Yum! Sounds like a tasty dip! 🙂 I usually go for the shortest line but it ends up taking forever because I end up behind an extreme couponer or with an extremely slow cashier. I always go for the tabloids while waiting in line just because I like looking at celeb’s outfits in them! I can’t justify buying the magazines either! lol

20. WHAT?!?! BLUE Ketchup?! OH MY GOSH! Katie, you are so amazing. 🙂