Gluten Free Chocolate Lace Cookies

These deliciously delicate chocolate lace cookies will be the hit of your next party – and they just so happen to be accidentally gluten-free!

gluten free chocolate cookies

Have you ever thought about trying a gluten-free diet?

Like Atkins in the 90s, the idea of “going gluten-free” has swept America (and beyond). If you haven’t tried a gluten-free diet, chances are you know at least one person who has.

There are people who adopt this diet out of necessity (Celiacs). And then there are those who try it simply because they’re curious. I have a friend who falls into the latter group: She’s been avoiding gluten for the past two months, and she swears it’s made her feel better.

I don’t know if my friend is really gluten-intolerant, or if it’s the placebo effect working the magic on her. But my job isn’t to judge; my job is just to be a supportive friend. And so I support her the best way I know: with lots of love… and food! (My Italian grandmother would be so proud.)

For more recipes: Over 100 Healthy Gluten Free Recipes

gluten free cookies

The following recipe is the definition of “experiment.”

I had absolutely no idea, when I threw a bunch of random ingredients together, what would come out of my oven!

flourless chocolate cookies

Luckily, these gluten free cookies were a huge hit when I shared them this past Saturday night, and my gluten-free friend was so appreciative she wasn’t left out of dessert for once.

To be honest, the cookies aren’t my personal favorites. They turned out too crispy/chewy for my liking, and I much prefer softer cookies like my Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cookies.

But some of my friends loved the flourless chocolate cookies so much that I’m posting the recipe anyway. If you like your cookies to be chewy (as opposed to soft), this is a recipe for you!

chocolate lace cookies

flourless cookies

healthy cookies

Chocolate Lace Cookies

Very loosely based on my Fudge Babies Recipe.

• 1 cup raw almonds
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • level 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • packed 1/4 cup pitted dates (45g)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (170g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil

Blend first five ingredients until almonds and dates are finely pulverized. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, oil, and 3/4 c of the chocolate chips. Melt (I microwaved 1 minute, then stirred). Pour the dry ingredients, as well as the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, into the wet. Stir until evenly mixed, making sure to break up any big clumps. It’ll seem dry at first, but keep stirring until it all looks dark and shiny.

Bake at 355 F for 7-8 minutes. (Take out when still a bit undercooked, as these continue to cook as they cool.)

Link Of The Day:

flourless chocolate chip cookies

Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies

What do you think of the gluten-free trend?

I know this is a polarizing subject: some people believe everyone can benefit from adopting a gluten-free diet, while others think the idea of eating gluten-free by choice is ridiculous.

Personally, I don’t think I’m qualified to judge. I don’t have Celiac Disease and I’ve never tried a gluten-free diet (nor will I, unless it becomes medically necessary to do so). But I do think that if someone wants to give up gluten and thinks it helps him/her feel better, all the more power to that person. It’s really not my place—or anyone else’s—to tell others what diet works best for their bodies.

Tags: , , , ,

1. The ‘gluten-free’ trend hasn’t caught on in Singapore yet! I personally would never take on that died! I love my bread! 😀 This cookie looks amazing by the way! You never disappoint! 😀

2. these look so niceand chocolaty!! i havent ever gone for the gluten free thing cuz i dont need to! ahah i like my gluten and my body likes it too!

3. Ingrid says:

How many cookies did the Chocolate Lace (G.F.) recipe make?

Thanks!

1. LOL sorry I forgot to count :-?.
      (That’s also why I couldn’t provide nutritional info.)

1. I made these tonight and they were delish! I scooped them out with a mini cookie scoop and they made about 20-25 mini cookies. For some reason, mine didn’t flatten out, they just stayed round balls, so clearly I did something wrong. But it didn’t change the taste…YUM!!

1. Juju says:

You should flatten them out after rolling them into a ball : )
          maybe that will help

1. Kim says:

Just made these and they are delicious! However, mine also did not flatten. I used a mini cookie scoop and they stayed in that shape. I flattened out the balls on the second pan and I think they turned out better, and my roommate agrees. They still weren’t as flat as the ones in the pictures though, which is what I was really hoping for! Any advice?

4. As someone who needs to eat gluten free, I find it interesting that someone would choose to just to try it out because its not always easy or fun. Sure I’ve learned a ton about cooking and nutrition in the process and ultimately have enjoyed having to go gluten free… but I’m not sure I would enjoy it if I didn’t have a medical reason to. But like you said… if it makes someone happier and healthier then go for it!

5. You’re so thoughtful and sweet to think of your friend! <3 Aw!
    Happy Monday!!!

6. Lucy says:

My mom is gluten free so i just taged along, i think it can be successful because once you take out all the things that have gluten you also take away all perservatives if you wern’t watching that before and that can make you feel a lot better. Also these cookies look amazing I’m always trying to make awesome gluten free stuff and looks like you were successful

7. I’m not sure how I feel about the whole gluten free thing. I do think it’s great that there are so many options available now for those people that NEED to go gluten free.
    I think I want one of these cookies for breakfast. 🙂

8. Love these! Beautiful pictures!

9. Frances says:

Wow these cookies look fantastic 😀
    I just became vegan a few days ago and I have been living on your website 😛
    Thank you for helping all the vegans out there!!!
    Woo

10. Katie says:

I’m not gluten free but I am gluten sensitive. I can definitely tell when I’ve had too much. I think that it’s a matter of balance. If a person is happiest and healthiest on gluten free, then it’s appropriate. If they’re happiest and healthiest with gluten, then that’s appropriate. I can handle gluten in low enough quantities, in fact I feel amost as bad without any gluten as I do when I’ve had too much. I think it is, or at least should be, about figuring out what you’re body needs to function best more than what trends say it should be.

11. These look Amazing!

As For the gluten free trend, I think it is a great idea For people who are known to have stomach issues. I do Think it is ridiculous from people to go GF to lose weight.

1. Vikki says:

Well, after lots of research, I went grain-free (and sugar free) in desperation. And finally lost the weight I had gained from my two pregnancies. I had always been sugar-free but that wasn’t enough. And gluten-free wasn’t enough, it had to be all starches. I can stomach a bit of gluten every now and then but I know it’s not the best thing for me.

12. Hi Katie, I have noticed you use blended dates in a few of your recipes. I really don’t like dates on their own, and I was wondering if you can taste the dates strongly in recipes such as this one? These look delicious but I’m hesistant to try because of the dates! Thanks

1. Sorry, I don’t know! I don’t taste the dates (at all), but then again, I like dates so I’m not sure if I’m biased. 😕

2. Barb says:

Hi Holly,

I also don’t like dates, but I have tried a few of Katie’s recipes where she blends them. I don’t taste the dates at all, as long as they are blended well. I would give the recipes a try!

1. Thanks for the help, I will definitely try it out!

3. I’ll second that. I use dates in quite a few of my recipes too, and I can’t taste them at all. They just provide a sweetness in the background. On their own, I’m a not a huge fan either, but in a muffin, cookie, smoothie, etc., bring it on!

1. Thanks for the advice, really want to try it out and let you know how I feel!

4. Synne says:

Maybe you could use prunes instead if you like them, or maybe raisins? I even used apricots for a cookierecipe and they turned out good 🙂

13. Michaela says:

I love to experiment with non-gluten goods, but I really do not feel any difference at all, so I eat whatever I like. Lucky me for being able to do so!

14. Melanie says:

The big gluten-free fad is really irritation but it does have one really big upside. It makes it a lot easier for true celiacs to have a more interesting and varied diet.

15. bitt says:

I had to cringe at the mention of Atkins being similar to gluten-free. For me, as a celiac gluten-free has always been about health, whereas Atkins is about dieting. I know people who have been tested for celiac and gluten allergies but are not allergic but feel better not eating too much gluten. It’s inflammatory. I talked to a heritage grain specialist and she said the levels of gluten in flour and wheat has been increasing compared to the past. So yes, I think there’s truth that many people can benefit from eating less gluten and diversifying their grains and feel better. But do they all have a serious health issue? Maybe not. I am super suspicious of people who go gluten-free without any sort of medical advisement. Unfortunately, there’s a bunch of popular bloggers who have tried to go gluten-free and are inconsistent about it and do not always spread accurate information. So this part of the gluten-free trend alarms me. People need to listen to the experts!

All that being said, I appreciate your grain free gluten-free cookie! I’d love a nonchocolate version if that’s possible.

1. I see the comment… can you not see it? 😕 Maybe clear your internet cache?

1. bitt says:

ok here it is. thanks.

16. Janice says:

Hello 🙂 I was wondering if you can use sunmaid raisins instead of dates since thats what my mom buys for her oatmeal and we are also on a budget so we just buy what we all need and eat and not just for one person. 🙂 Thanks

1. Sorry, I don’t know. But I’d love to hear if it works, if you do try it!

17. gluten=death! I don’t have celiac but feel much better going GF and even better going grain free, which is a plus for these cookies!

18. Love these! They look awesome!

The gluten thing I think is happening because of necessity. I’ve heard white processed flours and such are becoming so genetically modified, gluten content has increased dramatically and our bodies can’t handle it! Hence all the celiacs out there…. It’s sad, but I think going low gluten to gluten free is a wise choice. And it becomes an aboslute breeze when you got delicious treats like yours to eat! 🙂 Thanks for helping to make a healthy lifestyle easy!

19. bitt says:

hmm my other post did not go through…or is it in moderation?

20. Lilly says:

I think being GF can be great if it makes a person feel better, yet doing it just because it is a trend or thinking it will solve weight problems seems silly. I am good with gluten 🙂 but I occasionally have GF stuff too since my mom is gluten sensitive and gets a not-so-fun skin reaction with too much of it. These cookies look great for the holidays too, like chocolate snowflakes 🙂