Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Homemade Luna Bars!

homemade luna bars

Since beginning this blog, I’ve created many flavors of Homemade Larabars.

But when, out of curiosity one day, I googled homemade Luna bars, I was surprised to find zero relevant results. Really? No one had made these yet? It was definitely time to change that.

luna bar recipe

I don’t usually buy Luna bars, but every now and then I find myself craving either one of their chocolate-dipped coconut or nutz over chocolate bars. The following recipe more-closely resembles the latter:

Homemade Luna Bars

Inspired by Homemade Rice Crispy Treats.

• 3 cups rice crispies (I used brown rice crispies. For a less-crispy bar, you can sub 2 cups of the crispies for 1/2 cup oat flour.)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used salted pb, too)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nut butter of choice (for lower-cal option, see below link)
  • 1/2 cup sticky sweetener, such as agave or brown rice syrup (I used agave)
  • 2-3 tablespoons protein powder (you can omit)
  • melted chocolate chips or Sugar-Free Chocolate Sauce

Mix your pb, sweetener, extract, and salt. Melt (either in the microwave or stove), then pour over the cereal and powder, and stir very well, making sure to coat all the crispies. Smush and smash the crispies. (Get mad; it’s fun!) Line a pan with wax paper and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of wax paper on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can. Really press it down! Spread the chocolate on top, and freeze for at least a half hour before slicing.

Click for lower-sugar and Lower-Calorie Options.

I didn’t bother to figure out the nutritional info for these, as it will vary depending on what protein powder and chocolate sauce you use. But they are probably pretty comparable, calorie-wise, to packaged Luna bars. (The bars in the photos were made with the no-sugar chocolate sauce.)

luna bars

Do you like energy bars?

My favorites are probably my Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars.

But I don’t always have time to make homemade bars. So if I’m in a hurry and need a quick and portable snack, I’ll often grab a cookie dough Larabar or a chocolate-chip Z bar, or a chocolate Jocalat bar… I’m picky about my energy bars; I only like the ones that have chocolate!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Gen says:

I pretty much love any energy bar!! Luna bars were the first that I tried and loved, and now I’m hooked on larabars! By the way, we don’t have dates here, could I use raisins or prunes to make larabars instead?

1. Some of my favorite flavors actually don’t have dates. Here’s a link to the chocolate-pb ones with raisins:

The pb cookie dough ones are awesome too. Just shape in bar form instead of cookies. I have a reeeaally yummy oatmeal-raisin flavor I will hopefully post soon, without dates :).

2. Looks delicious… though I would add a bit more chocolate on the bottom. 😉

Where is the link to the homemade cliff bars???

1. Oh, it’s not my recipe. I just meant that when I googled “homemade clif bars” I got a lot of results. But when I googled “homemade luna bars” all I got were results for homemade larabars or clif bars!

3. Awesome!! I used to love Luna bars. The chocolate peppermint stick ones were my absolute favorite.

4. These look great! Luna Bars and Larabars are my favorite energy bars, so I might need to try making these little guys. I don’t buy energy bars often because I’d rather have a homemade snack. On the other hand, it’s nice to have one every so often if you’re on the go and don’t have time to whip something up for a snack.

5. MANDEE says:

i’ve never tried a luna bar! i think i’ll be trying your homemade version first!

the only bars i LOVE are larabars!!! other than that, the cliff z kids “smores” flavor is really good. i’ve been dying to find their halloween flavor (white chocolate chip brownie) but can’t find it anywhere!

1. Marla says:

I was just going to comment that I too love the Clif Z Bars (I am partial to the brownie ones). Mandee, I found the Halloween flavor at Harry’s Market, which is a Whole Foods market in Georgia that somehow managed to retain part of its independent business name and a few other things. But you might keep bugging your local Whole Foods. When I found them, after searching high and low, I bought a full box!

And I have to say that a) this recipe looks amazing and b) I LOVE THIS BLOG. <3

1. Aww Marla, thank you!!

I found the Halloween ones a few weeks ago, at a store called Central Market.

6. Leashieloo says:

They look like the real thing, I love it!

7. Ashley says:

I love Luna Bars! When I saw the title of your post, I was ecstatic! I cannot wait to try them– my personal fave is the S’mores or Mint Chocolate Protein (this one seriously tastes like those Thin Mint girl Scout ones). Great post!

8. Some I like and some I hate – making them myself would guarentee that I wasn’t wasting money!

9. Mallory says:

Oh my gosh, I made your brownie larabars last night and I seriously felt like I was eating a rich and chocolate brownie! Love it. Luna bars aren’t my favorite because they have a lot of ingredients, unlike larabars, but this recipe is great (:

10. Huh what a fun idea. I’ve never had a Luna bar before – I tend to roll with the Larabars – but these look wonderful and easy to make.

11. What a fun idea! My favorite ever larabar flavor is the Coconut Creme Pie…if you made a homemade version of that, I would be very happy 🙂

1. I do have this recipe:

It’s not exactly like the coconut cream pie laras, but I actually like it better.

1. YAY! How did I miss that? So exciting 🙂 Gracias!

1. You are so welcome! And LOL it’s a veeerry old post!

12. Rebecca says:

I switched from Luna to Lara a couple years ago, but I do like Lara bars as an occasional treat. My favorite is the Chocolate Peppermint Stick. I’ll have to try adapting your recipe to mimic that one!

13. Luna Bars used to be my go to snack before a ballet audition, or a big show! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

14. Michaela says:

wow, these look superb!!
    which protein powder did u use? just curious!
    I like energy bars, but I don´t like to buy them, as they are always wrapped in tons of foil and I do not wish to increase the waste. So, homemade versions it is 😀

1. I actually haven’t found a brand I love, so I only put some in a little bit of the recipe (to make sure it worked). So I really don’t have any recommendations.

15. I LOVE LUNA BARS!! Energy bars are one of my FAVE things, because I am always hungry and always on-the-go so I need something to keep me going!! I am buying some crispies as soon as I can to make these! 😀

16. I prefer the nut-and-dates variety of energy bars that you have (I love the chewy goodness). When I have Luna bar- like energy bars, they’re more of snacks/desserts to me! But still very yummy! 😀

17. I love luna bars! what a great idea!

18. Awesome! Good job for trying them out first! Luna bars are one of my favorites, and these look delicious! Thanks!

19. shea says:

omg i went through a luna bar phase. I think i had lunas everyday for a month! Then befor that it was the clif crunchy bars. My fave was the white chocolate. 🙂

20. Sometimes I like energy bars. sometimes I don’t. Weird. These look amazing! How in the heck do you make them look so perfect? Love the chocolate bottoms. Mmm…

1. I only put the more-perfect sides to the front ;). If I turn the bars around, they’re not so perfectly-formed!