Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Homemade Luna Bars!

homemade luna bars

Since beginning this blog, I’ve created many flavors of Homemade Larabars.

But when, out of curiosity one day, I googled homemade Luna bars, I was surprised to find zero relevant results. Really? No one had made these yet? It was definitely time to change that.

luna bar recipe

I don’t usually buy Luna bars, but every now and then I find myself craving either one of their chocolate-dipped coconut or nutz over chocolate bars. The following recipe more-closely resembles the latter:

Homemade Luna Bars

Inspired by Homemade Rice Crispy Treats.

• 3 cups rice crispies (I used brown rice crispies. For a less-crispy bar, you can sub 2 cups of the crispies for 1/2 cup oat flour.)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used salted pb, too)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nut butter of choice (for lower-cal option, see below link)
  • 1/2 cup sticky sweetener, such as agave or brown rice syrup (I used agave)
  • 2-3 tablespoons protein powder (you can omit)
  • melted chocolate chips or Sugar-Free Chocolate Sauce

Mix your pb, sweetener, extract, and salt. Melt (either in the microwave or stove), then pour over the cereal and powder, and stir very well, making sure to coat all the crispies. Smush and smash the crispies. (Get mad; it’s fun!) Line a pan with wax paper and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of wax paper on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can. Really press it down! Spread the chocolate on top, and freeze for at least a half hour before slicing.

Click for lower-sugar and Lower-Calorie Options.

I didn’t bother to figure out the nutritional info for these, as it will vary depending on what protein powder and chocolate sauce you use. But they are probably pretty comparable, calorie-wise, to packaged Luna bars. (The bars in the photos were made with the no-sugar chocolate sauce.)

luna bars

Do you like energy bars?

My favorites are probably my Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars.

But I don’t always have time to make homemade bars. So if I’m in a hurry and need a quick and portable snack, I’ll often grab a cookie dough Larabar or a chocolate-chip Z bar, or a chocolate Jocalat bar… I’m picky about my energy bars; I only like the ones that have chocolate!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. What an awesome idea! I love Luna bars! I really like the chocolate peppermint stick ones

2. I’ve always wanted to make my own Luna bars! They’re so yummy but I don’t buy them anymore because of the isolated soy protein and palm kernel oil. Yay for a tasty looking clone! :)

3. Gen says:

I pretty much love any energy bar!! Luna bars were the first that I tried and loved, and now I’m hooked on larabars! By the way, we don’t have dates here, could I use raisins or prunes to make larabars instead?

1. Some of my favorite flavors actually don’t have dates. Here’s a link to the chocolate-pb ones with raisins:

The pb cookie dough ones are awesome too. Just shape in bar form instead of cookies. I have a reeeaally yummy oatmeal-raisin flavor I will hopefully post soon, without dates :).

4. Looks delicious… though I would add a bit more chocolate on the bottom. 😉

Where is the link to the homemade cliff bars???

1. Oh, it’s not my recipe. I just meant that when I googled “homemade clif bars” I got a lot of results. But when I googled “homemade luna bars” all I got were results for homemade larabars or clif bars!

5. Awesome!! I used to love Luna bars. The chocolate peppermint stick ones were my absolute favorite.

6. I’ve never tried Luna Bars, but these look awesome! I love making my own bars

7. These look great! Luna Bars and Larabars are my favorite energy bars, so I might need to try making these little guys. I don’t buy energy bars often because I’d rather have a homemade snack. On the other hand, it’s nice to have one every so often if you’re on the go and don’t have time to whip something up for a snack.

8. MANDEE says:

i’ve never tried a luna bar! i think i’ll be trying your homemade version first!

the only bars i LOVE are larabars!!! other than that, the cliff z kids “smores” flavor is really good. i’ve been dying to find their halloween flavor (white chocolate chip brownie) but can’t find it anywhere!

1. Marla says:

I was just going to comment that I too love the Clif Z Bars (I am partial to the brownie ones). Mandee, I found the Halloween flavor at Harry’s Market, which is a Whole Foods market in Georgia that somehow managed to retain part of its independent business name and a few other things. But you might keep bugging your local Whole Foods. When I found them, after searching high and low, I bought a full box!

And I have to say that a) this recipe looks amazing and b) I LOVE THIS BLOG. <3

1. Aww Marla, thank you!!

I found the Halloween ones a few weeks ago, at a store called Central Market.

9. I do love my energy bars once in a while. Clif’s are my favorite (I would LOVE to find a recipe for homemade ones) and they save my bum pretty often when I’m on the go.

10. Leashieloo says:

They look like the real thing, I love it!

11. Ashley says:

I love Luna Bars! When I saw the title of your post, I was ecstatic! I cannot wait to try them– my personal fave is the S’mores or Mint Chocolate Protein (this one seriously tastes like those Thin Mint girl Scout ones). Great post!

12. Some I like and some I hate – making them myself would guarentee that I wasn’t wasting money!

13. Mallory says:

Oh my gosh, I made your brownie larabars last night and I seriously felt like I was eating a rich and chocolate brownie! Love it. Luna bars aren’t my favorite because they have a lot of ingredients, unlike larabars, but this recipe is great (:

14. Huh what a fun idea. I’ve never had a Luna bar before – I tend to roll with the Larabars – but these look wonderful and easy to make.

15. Lauren says:

Great idea! I love the idea of making these, and they look really easy to make.

16. What a fun idea! My favorite ever larabar flavor is the Coconut Creme Pie…if you made a homemade version of that, I would be very happy :)

1. I do have this recipe:

It’s not exactly like the coconut cream pie laras, but I actually like it better.

1. YAY! How did I miss that? So exciting :) Gracias!

1. You are so welcome! And LOL it’s a veeerry old post!

17. Wow these look so good! I’ve never had a Luna bar, they haven’t made it to Ireland :(

18. Rebecca says:

I switched from Luna to Lara a couple years ago, but I do like Lara bars as an occasional treat. My favorite is the Chocolate Peppermint Stick. I’ll have to try adapting your recipe to mimic that one!

19. Luna Bars used to be my go to snack before a ballet audition, or a big show! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

20. Michaela says:

wow, these look superb!!
    which protein powder did u use? just curious!
    I like energy bars, but I don´t like to buy them, as they are always wrapped in tons of foil and I do not wish to increase the waste. So, homemade versions it is 😀

1. I actually haven’t found a brand I love, so I only put some in a little bit of the recipe (to make sure it worked). So I really don’t have any recommendations.

21. I LOVE LUNA BARS!! Energy bars are one of my FAVE things, because I am always hungry and always on-the-go so I need something to keep me going!! I am buying some crispies as soon as I can to make these! 😀

22. I prefer the nut-and-dates variety of energy bars that you have (I love the chewy goodness). When I have Luna bar- like energy bars, they’re more of snacks/desserts to me! But still very yummy! 😀

23. I love luna bars! what a great idea!

24. Awesome! Good job for trying them out first! Luna bars are one of my favorites, and these look delicious! Thanks!

25. shea says:

omg i went through a luna bar phase. I think i had lunas everyday for a month! Then befor that it was the clif crunchy bars. My fave was the white chocolate. :)

26. Sometimes I like energy bars. sometimes I don’t. Weird. These look amazing! How in the heck do you make them look so perfect? Love the chocolate bottoms. Mmm…

1. I only put the more-perfect sides to the front ;). If I turn the bars around, they’re not so perfectly-formed!

27. What a awesome idea!! I can’t wait to make these! Love LUNA’s 😀

28. Char says:

mmmmm yummy!! I’ve never tried a Luna Bar (though I’m a die-hard for Larabars & Clif Bars), but this recipe looks delicious! I’ve already made your rice krispies (using cashew & macadamia butter!), so I think it’s time to give these a try!

29. Holly says:

I don’t think I’ve commented before but I’m a long-time reader, non-vegan that is a big fan or your recipes! (Even though I love butter.) Luna bars are my favorite energy bar and these look great–can’t want to try them! (If you could figure out a recipe for homemade Chocolate Raspberry Luna bars, you would be my hero! (;)

1. Aww thanks, Holly!
      Haha I have a butter-addict friend who likes my recipes… except she always slathers butter on them every time I give her a taste! 😉

30. Nikki says:

Must try these immediately!!! I love luna bars!!!!!!!

31. Moni'sMeals says:

LOVELY!! These look fantastic Katie, nice work! I have a “bar” recipe similiar to this but I love yours, here just as much. :) Love your pics too!

Not a big fan of bars…unless they are homemade or with exceptional ingredients. :)

32. Dalai Lina says:

I used to live off of energy bars! Now I try to grab an apple or some nuts. I bet my kids would love these bars! Thanks!

33. Kristen says:

Luna Bars with no nut allergy issues and tons of options!! Joy!!! Thank you for sharing!!

34. Kit-Kat says:

They are a big staple in my life, since I exercise a ton, and am constantly having to grab something to top off my tank.
    I really love Clif and Luna bars (and all of the Clif and Luna bar products, actually), and I’m also pretty big on most other granola and protein bars. Even if there are some no-no ingredients in a bar, I look at the big picture and figure that I eat really healthy almost all the time, so a little bit of something “bad” won’t do much damage to my health. Besides, being a vegan means that I will be checking lables anyway for non-animal stuff!
    Do you have a favorite Clif bar and a favorite Luna bar? I am rather partial to the mini packs of the clif bars (containig choco-chip, PB, and brownie) and the Carrot Cake bar. As for Luna…..I can’t decide! But I really like their cinnamon raisin and their new chocolate chip bar…. but like I said, I love about ALL of their bars (veganized, of course).
    PS: I’m going to whip up a batch of these tonight, and make the bars a little more bite-sized, so me and my family can nibble on them during the World Series game. I think I will add dark chocolate chunks to the mix, and maybe even toss in a few dried Trader Joes orange-flavored cranberries. YUM!

1. The only Clif bars I like are the Maple ones, white chocolate, or the oat-raisin ones. But I haven’t had a Clif bar in quite a while! As for Lunas, I only like the coconut-chocolate and the nutz-over-chocolate. But I reeaally like the coconut ones :).

35. Nice job tackling the ‘never been done before’! I think Luna bars are more intimidating to do at home because of the soy crunch part – rice crispies + protein power is better than the soy stuff if you ask me so I need to give these a try!

36. Melissa says:

I am a Clif bar junkie. I used to eat Lunas, but they started making me feel weird, so I stopped. Pretty sure the homemade-ness of these would take care of that problem! :)

37. I’m not a HUGE fan of energy bars because I sometimes wonder where all of that energy is coming from! lol
    I love these! So new and exciting!

38. Sophie says:

Omg I cannot wait to make these!!

39. Amber K says:

I’m really picky about bars, because some taste AMAZING but have the nutritional content of a candy bar, and others don’t taste so good. My absolute favorite are peanut butter chocolate Zing bars. I just wish they weren’t so expensive! I guess that is to convince me to not eat them too often. 😉

40. Barb says:

Have you tried Honey Stinger bars? They are my favorite before runs. I used to only have Luna bars until I discovered these. My other favorites are the new Kashi bars that have recently come out!

1. No, I don’t think I’ve ever even seen those!

1. Barb says:

I’m not sure how many supermarkets carry them ,but if you ever see them, I highly recommend them!

Best running-and-everyday-energy bars I’ve tried! (although I can’t wait to try yours, this post looks delicious!)

41. Um, THANK YOU! I spent a fortune on my Nutz Over Chocolate LUNA bars every month (I buy them by the box) so I am so glad to have the chance to make them myself! So appreciated!

42. katy sparrow says:

Yay Luna bars! I love them. That creamy coating on the bottom just rocks.
    I’m gonna try to make my own Lemon Zest, my fav!!
    Thanks for the inspiration and empowerment to make my own bar, Katie! You’re so right.. just adding a protein powder to rice krispies can totally mimic that isolated soy protein kinda thing like they use.

43. These look identical to Luna bars! I am so impressed. I am a huge Clif bar fan. I eat them on any long bike ride. I also love Larabars for a quick snack. Nutz over Chocolate is my favorite Luna Bar flavor!

44. lizzie says:

im obsessssssed w/ luna bars so this will save me $ and its healthier! thanks!!!

45. Very cool! I’ve only ever had a Luna Bar once, but it was delish. Plus, this is awesome because their protein bars aren’t vegan!

46. Yum! I do like energy bars but HATE the cost of them- they are allllll so expensive. I can never wrap my head around that expensive for only a few oz of food… Homemade ideas help out a lot!

47. Yummm! These look amazing!! AND I love Luna Bars. Will have to try this at home!

48. Katherine says:

KATIE! You have just become my favorite person. 😀
    I am seriously a Luna bar addict – they’re my one real splurge item at the store and thankfully I know somewhere that I can get them for less than $1 each. But homemade is always better! I’m definitely going to experiment with different flavors next time I’m home because the chocolate raspberry is my favorite.

49. hot fudge brownie is my favorite too!!! Another good one is the oatmeal raisin luna bar…it’s really sweet but it could possibly double as a dessert!

50. Looks great!! Just a question – where does the protein powder go? In with the cereal mixture or into the melted chocolate? Can’t wait to try these!

1. Oops lol fixed it! It goes with the cereal mix :).

51. Anna says:

Oh, yay!!!! I love Luna bars!! I’ve been trying to figure out how to recreate the Lemon Zest ones, actually, so if you have any ideas let us know please. :)

1. katy sparrow says:

Hi anna! Lemon zest is my fav flavor, and I’m thinking of putting a lemon zested coconut butter layer on the top after pressing down the krispies, and putting lemon juice and coconut oil in the krispie layer.

1. Anna says:

Yum!! I’ll have to try that, thanks!

52. Vanessa says:

I LOVE your recipes CCK, and I’m thrilled to see you post a Luna bar recipe!! But I have to correct you-someone did post a homemade luna bar recipe-when I searched for them this spring, I found this:
    Looking fwd to trying yours too though!! (especially ’cause my kids just found and finished off my most recent stash of Hot Chocolate Babies!!)

1. Hmmm… interesting! That didn’t come up under any of my searches. Out of curiosity, what term did you search for to find that? Thanks for sharing!

1. Vanessa says:

Luna copycat on Google, it was on the first page this spring, but now I see it’s down to the 3rd page….
        Btw-the reason I went searching for the Luna bars, is b/c I found several recipes (including yours) for Clif, and lara type bars, (and then got hooked!) and then became interested to see if I could find Luna ones too, but that was the only one I found at that time…

53. Stefanie says:

I know you could do it. I used to be a big fan of luna bars but switched to Odwalla bars. After eating a Luna bar I was not happy with it. It had a funny taste. These are perfect because the ingredients are not so processed like the soy in the Luna bars. Plus, a little more chocolate wouldn’t hurt either. :) Thanks for the recipe.

54. You did a great job on these…they are so professional looking! I love making rice krispie treats and frosting them with chocolate-peanut butter frosting or just chocolate…so do those count as liking energy bars? They give me energy…haha! :)

55. I was seriously just thinking the other day I’ve not seen a recipe anywhere for homemade Luna bars, so I thought about trying to make some. But then I thought about something else and forgot. LOL Thanks for taking on the challange! Now, I just need to find some crispie brown rice cereal…

56. Lou says:

I’ve never tried Luna bars…. but these looks delicious! Can’t seem to get Luna, lara or cliff bars in Australia – booo! Good thing you’ve come up with homemade versions for us Aussies who are missing out (you’re awesome!) :)

57. Rebecca says:

Awesome, I love lunabars! My favorite lunabar is the s’more bar, but I haven’t tried the nutz over chocolate bar.

58. Yum!!! How many bars did this recipe make??

59. Danielle says:

I am definitely going to have to try this! I LOVE Clif and Luna bars…I have to resist them very often and try and save them when I don’t have time to eat a meal but am very hungry. I love the Brownie flavour Luna bar…it is amazing!! (You should try and replicate that one…)

60. Lisa says:

choc chip z bars are my pre workout bar of choice!
    white chocolate macadamia nut clif bars are also amazinggggg :)

yummy looking recipe looks like chocolate dipped rice krispie treats :)

61. Jodi Theisen says:

We don’t have Luna Bars here In Oz, so much as loony bars! 😉 But my girls have a playdate this morning and what better way to coerce a group of 3 year olds into doing what you want them to do than by bribing them with said Luna Bars!!! Thanks Katie, you’ve saved the day again! I think I’ll chuck in a handful of cocoa nibs and see how they go, I’ll let you know…

62. It’s like a healthier chocolate dipped rice crispy treat! Most energy bars are sort of glorified candy bars in my opinion, except several companies like larabar that really take the time to make a nutrient dense energy bar. I haven’t purchased an energy bar in a really long time though.

63. Aja says:

What a great idea. I need to make snacks and I think I’ll have to make these.

64. Anonymous says:

Hi Katie, would you recommend buying stevia packets or the liquid extract?

1. I use NuNaturals packets or their vanilla alcohol-free vanilla drops. Those are the only two types with which I’m really familiar.

65. What a fantastic idea! I love having granola bars around for a quick snack but I don’t like spending so much money on them, and these look way healthier!!! :)

66. Mandy says:

Hey, just in case you didn’t know: So delicious has holiday flavors!

I only got to try the nog so far, but I love making oatmeal with half coco-nog and half water, it tastes completely delicious! Not sure about drinking it straight up, it is SO thick.. but it’s perfect for cooking and baking holiday treats. :)

1. LOL so funny you posted this comment today, because I just got a surprise package from them this morning! I love your idea to use it in oatmeal… I wonder how the mint chocolate one would be in oatmeal…

1. Andrea says:

Yum. I found the mint chocolate stuff wayyyy on sale after the holiday season was over at my local foodmaxx! I thought I had died and gone to heaven- I bought at least three boxes of the stuff since it has a long shelf life! I mostly drank mine over ice as a desserty drink.

67. Oh this is great! I love Luna bars and Lara bars the best, haven’t tried making my own though. Looks rather simple!

68. Ellen says:

I go through energy bars phases. The last one was a big clif bar phase because they were one if the few sources of vegetarian protein to be found in my now an ex-boyfriend’s house…they were tasty, especially the peanut butter chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin flavors.

69. Albizia says:

I love all kinds of bars but they don’t make any here which really sucks. There is only one thing they call protein bar but for me a wafer is not a bar. You should come back to Japan and teach them how to do it right :) .

70. Funny that you would post this today, because I ate a Luna bar this morning! I eat 1-2 protein bars every day, and I’m pretty picky about the ones I choose based on my particular diet. I’m always making different granola bars at home, too, including Larabars, so I’m so happy you tackled this project. I made Larabars and posted them this morning ( and I love coincidences like this! Happy baking!

71. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! i would 1,000,000,000 times prefer yours over the regular Luna Bars! this gives me such a boost of inspiration to try to make some of the packaged bars i enjoy. you are beyond amazing!

xoxo <3

72. Homemade is just better! Love that you’re taking store-bought goods and converting them. I did something similar to my favorite gluten-free breakfast cereal this week and it was SO delicious!

73. Kathy says:

Dear Katie;
    You are a genius and this is going on Pinterest + WeHeartIt
    Love, Kathy:)

74. I’m a clif bar girl…one of my favorites is the cranberry, the blueberry crisp is pretty awesome, too. These definitely look great and worth a try — thanks!!

75. Someone had to do it sooner or later! Yey for you being the first :)

76. BroccoliHut says:

LOVE this! I wonder if I could modify it to make my favorite Iced Oatmeal Raisin flavor…

77. I am not a big fan of lunas but something tells me I’d like your version! They look like chocolate covered rice crispy treats!!!!!! YUMMMMMMMM!

78. Stephanie says:

I love Luna Bars! My favorite are the white choc. Macadamia nut bars. Yours looks wonderful! So impressed you made a homemade version of these!

79. Vanessa says:

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a Luna bar recipe! Thank you, thank you, thank you! My fav is chocolate dipped coconut. =)

1. That’s definitely my favorite one too! I need to work on re-creating that recipe. I’m thinking coconut butter subbed for the pb would be a start…

80. Whitney says:

I absolutely love your blog! I recently found this through the website pinterest, and was so interested I began exploring your page. I have a big weakness for sweets, and always try to think of “healthy” treats to make. I love how basically all of these are gluten free and how healthy they are. I made the energy balls and I cant wait to make some of the others. Its a staple for me to follow your blog everyday now. Once I make some of the recipes, I will let you know how they turned out and taste!! Thank you so much for bring such an inspirational person and having an inspirational page!!

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me!!

81. Kate Bartolotta (@kate_bartolotta) says:

Love Lara Bars if I don’t have time to do the homemade ones! Also – Raw Revolution Raspberry & Chocolate is great too:)

82. LizAshlee says:

I love Luna bars…what a fabulous you know how these nutrition stats compare to the actual bars? Have a great day!

83. Anna Crouch says:

You could also maybe sub out 1/3-1/2 of the krispees for sliced/slivered/chopped nuts, could you not? That would maybe increase the nutrition a bit, but still have the crunch flavor :)

84. Erin says:

Clif Mojo bars, Z bars and Luna bars all rock my socks off! My favorite of each is peanut butter pretzel, honey graham, and chocolate peppermint, respectively! I always have some stashed in my car, gym bag, and desk at work :)

85. Andrea says:

Do you think maple syrup would work as a sub for the agave/brown rice sugar? Or would the flavor be too strange a combination with the nut butter? Also- what pan size did you use for these? So excited to try this out!!!

1. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’d be thick enough. (I could be wrong, though, as I’ve never actually tried it.

I made these in an 8×8 pan.

86. Denise says:

Ohh man these are scrumpdillyumptious! I could have eaten a ton of them. I’m not vegan, so I used Honey, I love Honey to death…such a great treat, and nutrient filled too! Keep up the fantastic work Katie, I am new to your blog, but have found so many treasures! Thank you 😀

1. I’m so excited you tried them!!

87. Luxembourg says:

Clif bars are great tasting and have some good vitamins/ingredients. I would like to see them make the packaging fit the bar though. The bar has gotten smaller over the years, but the package has stayed the same size. Just kind of annoying. It makes me feel like the company wants the customer to believe the bar in larger. Also, several other companies are lowering the sugar content without compromising taste. I believe Clif could do this as well.

88. I love Pure bars because they also only have a few ingredients like Larabars but they actually have some protein and I like the flavors better! I only like a couple Luna bar flavors too, the toasted nuts and cranberry one and the berry almond, but I think they discontinued that one! I don’t know if you could recreate that one though because it was infused with a bunch of berries but maybe it wouldn’t be that hard 😀

89. michelle says:

Ok so this is one of my favorite recipes ..I’ve made it both ways. With full peanut butter and one with banana butter(it doesn’t quite stay together as well) I could eat the whole batch lol. Thx for the recipe!!

90. KATIE!!!! Luna Bars?! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

91. Amanda says:

These look so delicious! If you’re a fan of peanut butter, please check out my recipe for peanut butter rice crispy treats with fleur de sel…

92. Andrea says:

Katie, how do you suggest we store these once they’re made and sliced up? Fridge or just in an airtight container at room temp? How long do they last (in your estimation)? They are very tasty! Also, I wasn’t sure how much melted chocolate is needed, can you give an amount? We ballparked it but I was curious as to your measurements. Thanks!

1. Hmmm, I think you should probably keep them fridged or frozen if you use the PMS chocolate, because coconut butter melts at room temp. But if you just used melted chocolate chips for the tops (without coconut oil), I think they’d be fine at room temp. I kept mine frozen and just thawed as needed, which made them last at least a few weeks. As for the chocolate amount, I didn’t really measure either. It’s actually a chore for me to remember I have to measure recipes out if I’m planning to blog them… I like to just throw things together on a whim! :)

93. Jennie says:

oh my goodness…how we LOVE these! I just made them and they smelled so good, my husband and I had a hard time waiting for them to finish setting up in the freezer!

These will definitely be on or regular rotation of “snacky” foods to have on hand. :-)

1. I actually got some crazy-weird shaped Luna bars because I couldn’t stop picking at them before I had a chance to freeze them and cut into bars ;).

94. Cally says:

How many bars do these make? I want to make them for the basketball team-12 high school girls. Will I need to double the recipe or anything?

1. I’m trying to remember… I *think* it makes an 8×8. I’ve made so many recipes in the past few weeks that I’m having trouble remembering :(. I’m so sorry I can’t be more helpful!

95. Nicole says:

hI! love your site!

I tried this recipe using:
    -MaraNatha Dark Chocolate Almond Spread
    -PlantFusion Vanilla Bean Protein Powder + Chocolate GreenSuperFood Powder
    -Cocoa Crispies
    -Vanilla Extract
    -Dark Chocolate Chips

Sooo good! thank you for all your creativity!! :))

96. Kristina says:

I’m a first time reader and I’m SO happy I found your site. I can’t eat a lot of dairy and I’m always desperately searching for baking recipes I can actually eat! I”m a big snacker too so Luna bars are a daily staple. I can’t wait to try these!

1. Aww I’m so glad you found my site!! :)

97. Jeanna says:

Substituted some coconut and almonds for some of the krispies and used almond butter. OMG you have to try this!!! I froze them first then drizzled with chocolate!! Yummy.

98. Claire says:

Hey Katie! Do you know what I could add to make these “smores” luna bars? I don’t mind using marshmallows if I have to, but I only have enough puffed rice for one batch, so I don’t want to get it wrong! Thanks for this recipe…it looks delicious!

1. Sorry lol I am the WORST at knowing how a recipe will turn out until I try it. I have so many experiments that go wrong :-?.
      But for s’mores, I think you need to find a nut butter that’s much less strongly-flavored than pb… maybe raw (not roasted) cashew butter? And maybe add some crushed graham cracker crumbs to the mix? And a little marshmallow fluff or ricemellow creme?

99. Anna Lynn says:

These look really easy and yummy! I do love energy bars, especially chocolatey ones! However, I rarely buy them simply because they are often too calorie and sugar heavy for me. I know you’re not a calorie counter, but over the summer, I went from 155 lbs to 120 lbs and I really have calorie counting (paired with lots of exercise of course) to thank for my weight loss and it’s now a habit. Not gonna lie, I get a little obsessive but I’m working on it. I’ve uped my calories from 1,200 a day to around 1,400-1,500 and I’ve managed to maintain my weight for the past 4 months. So, a 200-400 calorie energy bar that has several grams of fat and upwards of 20-25 grams of sugar isn’t worth the few grams of protein and fiber I’m getting from it. I’d much prefer other snacks, but that’s just me. They are delicious of course! I may just have to try your versions so I can control what all goes in them :-)

1. Mandi says:

Hey Anna Lynn, just wanted to say that Luna Bars, especially these homemade ones, are great for pre and post-workout snacks as you generally need to get a good 50g of carbs with a little bit of protein in to fuel your exercise and to refuel afterward too, especially if you’re working in your aerobic system. So long as you eat them at the right times, those 20-25g of sugar are definitely worth it!

100. Natalie says:

AWESOME!! I have been wanting to make these but never got around to it. I just googled homemade clif Z bars (for my kids) and this came up. Love it!

101. Sherry says:

I love love LOVE these!!! I use a tiny loaf pan tin and when they are cooled I turn them out, and pour the chocolate over the top and let it drip down the sides….SUPER CUTE!!! Thanks for all the amazing recipes—-you are my “go to” gf website!!!

102. Sherlock says:

Wow! These are awesome! My 3 year old really loved them. So easy, delicious and healthier for you then the boxed crap.

103. Molly Francis says:

How many servings does this make?

104. Nicci says:

Have you ever seen Liquid Sugar in the Raw? I’m wondering if i could use that for the sticky sweetner…any thoughts? The bottle says for sweetening cold drinks, but i thought i’d check.

1. Sorry, I’ve never heard of it!

105. Paige says:

Hey Katie. I would be so delighted if you added a recipe for white chocolate macadamia nut luna bars. You don’t seem to be that into white chocolate, but I know this bar is a fan fav!

1. LOL I actually don’t like white chocolate… maybe because it doesn’t taste like chocolate? 😉

106. Rosie says:

OMG these look incredible. I’ve heard a lot about Luna bars, but I’m from the UK so have never tried one. HOW INCREDIBLE. Shopping list for next baking session…MADE. Thankyou!!! xx

107. Zelda says:

Are we supposed to let them warm a bit before slicing? Mine kind of shattered.

1. Yes, thaw a little first. Sorry about that!

108. Vicki says:

I’m wanting to recreate a Zing bar. I think I’m gonna combine a little of this recipe with the one for your chocolate pb no-bake cookies and see what transpires.

109. Tricia says:

OK…you pricked my curiosity with your homemade LUNA bar post. I love LUNA bars so will definitely be trying this recipe out! I’m actually having a LUNA bar giveaway on my blog, this week for their new flavor, Peanut Honey Pretzel! They are so good!!

110. Samantha says:

Could you use honey instead of agave….. agave has too much fructose for us!!!

111. Natalie says:

These are In the freezer. I added some blitzed banana chips to make Elvis Luna bars. They’re maybe a little sweet. I made the cashew cookie Lara bars too the recipe took some serious searching for! Worth it though :)

1. I love your idea for Elvis Lunas!
      And thanks for reminding me about the cashew bars… I don’t think those are archived on my recipe page. They could probably use some new photos as well :).

112. tess says:

Wow they look super amazing. Do Lunabars have rice krispies?

113. Missy says:

Hey! Not sure if this was already asked or not. Could these be easily freezed? Im afraid I’d be the only one eating these! And I simply won’t eat that much in a day. lol

114. Ali says:

Hi Katie I was wondering if maybe an extra 1/2 cup of protein powder could be added or would that give it a weird texture?! :)

115. QWERTY says:

Usually I find that the S’more Luna bars taste like cookie dough. I know, it’s weird how I refernced it to cookie dough, but I was just making your cookie dough dip and it was SO GOOD!!! I have yet to try the coconut cookie dough oatmeal. And yes, I am aware that I am a cookie dough addict. :)

Love all of your recipes and keep up the good work!!!!!

116. Cristina says:

Have you ever tried to make Homemade Clif Builder Bars? I often thought about it. I googled this to see if anyone has ever tried. No one has. These are my absolute favorite energy bars for years. They are a little pricier than the other Clif Bars, but worth every penny. I don’t even have a favorite flavor. I love them all.

117. Pam says:

Katie, you are a GENIOUS! I have one kid who is a bit of a fussy eater and another who always seems to end up in the class (or in this case summer camp) with the nut allergy. Trying to find a high protein snack that doesn’t contain nuts and isn’t an egg is challenging but this one works (I found soy butter at the grocery store which almost tastes like pb). We made these luna bars last night and used melted white chocolate chips. They are so tasty I’m sure we’ll need to make more very soon. THANK YOU!!!!

118. Marilyn says:

Oh man! I just tried some of the batch I made, and they are so, so good! You really just can’t lose with pb and chocolate. :-)

119. maria says:

Like several others who posted here, my favorite Luna Bars are the Peppermint Stick. Does anyone have a good recipe for those? I prefer not to buy the Luna Bars because they have soy protein and especially because the soy is not organic and therefore is most likely GMO.

120. maria says:

Oops, I forgot to add that I would like to add some Organic Whey Protein powder to these bars. The protein powder I have is vanilla flavored. Any advice regarding adding a significant amount to these bars? I would like the bars to have at least 14 grams of protein each to help balance my blood sugar.

Thanks for the great recipe! :)

121. Oh gosh… when I found this, I wanted to find you and give you a big hug!!! I am OBSESSED with the Luna Nutz Over Chocolate… but I always feel SO GUILTY buying them, because they are just so dang expensive! I already have everything I need for these, so in essence, they’re free! Woo hoo! Rock on, Katie ~~~

122. Denelle says:

Yum. I think I’ll try this with puffed millet and see what I get. Your spirit of adventure for the sake of health and flavor is contagious! I’m experimenting all the time now. Thanks!

123. Anonymous says:

I am curious about the nutritional comparison of the home made vs store bought Luna. I fuses I was under the impression the Luna had some added suppliments you can’t mimic at home? Does all that come in the protein powder?

124. Alanna says:

These are super-yummy! I skipped the chocolate (lazy) and used melted banana as my sweetener since I didn’t have any liquid sweetener. Mine came out a lot thinner than the picture, though (I did use an 8×8), and the rice crispies were really soft after freezing. I wonder if baking for just a few minutes would help with that? I don’t mind since the flavor was great, but I thought they’d still have a little bit of crunchiness.

125. Susannah says:

Hi there! LOVE your site. Your recipes are fabulous and every single thing I have made has turned out to be stellar!

I am making these for my son who is on a high protein diet. He has major sensory challenges & will only eat crunchy things – so this is perfect!

Do you think that adding a bit of ground flax and/or wheat germ would effect the taste or outcome to this recipe? Thanks!

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it so I really don’t know!

126. I had to make myself stop reading your blog because every link I clicked on was something I wanted to make and eat. Thanks so much for all the great recipes! :)

127. Anonymous says:

Hey! Great recipe! Which brand and flavor of protein powder did you use?

1. I actually don’t have a favorite brand of protein powder; you can really use any!

128. Tina says:

Hey! Great recipe! What brand and flavor of protein powder do you use? Thanks!

129. Mandi says:

Hey Katie, what would you suggest for storing these? I’ve currently just taken mine out the freezer and popped them in an air-tight container, would this be suitable enough? By the way, thank you so much for this recipe, it’s so good and I had fun making them!

1. I think they’d probably be best kept cold for the long term.

130. Tory says:

I just made these!!! They are fantastic, I have nut and peanut allergies. I used sun butter and agave and they are fantastic! Not a vegan, so, I used milk chocolate. I also have no patience so, I tried one before it was “set and fell in love with them!!!

131. Claire says:

So I just read you don’t like measuring your ingredients while baking/cooking… well, I’m sure it’s tedious! But I bet writing down the recipe is just as much work, since you’re constantly adapting it. I’d be curious to sometime see what your recipe creation process is like! Maybe you should set up a video camera in your kitchen and just turn it on while you cook. :) It might help you remember what you did in the recipe, and if you were really brave, you could share it with us then too, so that we can see your creative genius. 😀 Haha. Anyway…keep up the good work!

132. Felicia says:

Luna bars are ok. I like the coconut chocolate one the best, because I am obsessed with coconut. You should try to re-make that one… you are halfway there! Yours would be tastier, I think, because I don’t really like the taste of the soy they put in it.

133. These are so very good, I couldn’t help but pin them Katie. You are a blessing!
    And a person can add whatever they prefer to this recipe and they still turn out
    wonderfully! Kudos and {{{BIG HUGS}}} for all you do!

134. Mary says:

I just made these this afternoon. OMG!!! These are amazing! I used Puffed Rice instead of Rice Krispies. I used your No Sugar Chocolate Sauce recipe for bottom. I was going to bring them to some friends on Saturday (This is Monday), but they are NOT going to last that long! My husband and I have already eaten two of them.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes! You are a gem!

135. melissa says:

how long to they last if not in a fridge?

136. Guilla says:

I think these are fabulous! Thank you! Katie do you think my 3 year old is able to eat these? It is hard for me to get her to each protein other than egg and dairy, she is a very high nugget consumer and even when I try to always make those nuggets myself so that they are healthy I sometimes feel she isn’t getting enough protein… Is it safe for her to eat the protein powder?

1. I wouldn’t see why not, but I really don’t know anything about toddler eating habits or safety. I’d ask her doctor if you are unsure.

137. Asia says:

I doubled this recipe in a 9×13 pan and got 18 large bars. I’ve never had real luna bars but I know they probably cost $1.50-$2/each like most fancy energy bars. This recipe cost only about $5 (one bag bittersweet chocolate / half jar peanut butter / 6c krispies / 1c agave). Probably one of your most frugal recipes! I stored them in individual snack bags in the freezer to grab and go. I will probably end up eating them as dessert though.

138. Ginger says:

Interesting I love Luna bars

1. Ginger says:

Omg so much in common

1. Ginger says:

Yeah want to be BFFs?

139. Juila Dewolf says:

SO I made these, but had to add like 5 cups of crispies (I used Edison Organic Brown Rice Crispies), with sunflower seed butter trader joes, (12 tbsps), raw agave nectar trader joes (10 tbsps), 2 tsp Vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon of vega sport vanilla protein powder. 70g of dark chocolate nestle morsels, and 42g of white chocolate chips (melted together and spread on top).
    I sort of feel like i could have even added more crispies and they still would have been covered.

I did the nutrition breakdown. If you put them in a 8.5 inch square pan, cut into 8 pieces (servings).
    For ONE bar:
    319 calories
    45g carbs
    14g of fat
    7g protein
    246g sodium
    27g sugar

140. Kathleen Estes says:

I just made these bars and, although the “mouth feel” is SPOT ON, I found them to be a little too salty. I am guessing this was caused by one of two things; either the peanut butter I used ( “Justins” ) is too salty or the fact that I used maple syrup as my liquid sweetener upset the balance?

141. AWESOME! so glad I found this recipe, will try making them this week

142. amanda says:

Would these work well with almond butter?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I read that some people have tried this and had good results. Although I’m not Katie, I’d say it’ll work pretty well with almond butter.

143. Nancy says:

Glad to find this recipe, been looking for some healthy snack food!

144. Kari says:

I tried this with:

3 cups rice krispies + 3 scoops protein powder
    1 medium banana blended with 3/4 cup splenda, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt
    Microwaved banana blend then added to krispies+powder mixture
    Added 1/8 cup plain yogurt to add some moisture
    Put mixture into pan just as Katie noted.
    Chocolate sauce was just cocoa powder and a bit of splenda and water.

Turned out absolutely great! A little soft after 30 minutes of freezing, but I’m sure it’ll harden up tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration Katie!

145. Rachel says:

I just made these using regular Rice Krispies and corn syrup for the sweetener. I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9×13 pan. Instead of spreading chocolate I melted a 4 oz ghiradelli white chocolate bar and spread that over it. Super yummy. Thank you for the recipe. My friend and I love to get together and combine the power of our blendtecs to make your larabars!

146. Sam says:

It sounds great, but how many servings are there in one batch? I’m guessing around 5?

1. Dani says:

I put these in probably an 8×8 and got about 8 generous bars! If you double this, you could get away with quite a lot more and save time. These bars were SOO delicious!

147. Jana says:

How many bars can you make from the above recipe please? Thanks!btw looove your blog.:-)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Should be about 6.

148. Laura Kineston says:

These are fabulous! I made them with almond butter, instead of pb, and didn’t even need to melt them. They just stirred right up :) Also added 3 TBSP. of chocolate whey protein…can you say yumm…Thank you for the recipe!

149. Julie says:

I’ve made these a few times now and they’re so so good! Way better than a luna bar in my opinion. I’ve made them with both peanut and almond butter; I prefer peanut. I made them yesterday and added 1/4 cup flax meal and I used 1/4 cup of chocolate egg white protein powder (Jay Robb brand). So good, very healthy. Great recipe!

150. Amy Robison says:

Hi Katie! Long time follower, first time commenter. :-) I just made these for the first time a few days ago. I don’t know why I waited so long! I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for a long time! I guess I thought I’d just try the other recipes first since I could just grab a Luna Bar at the store.

I did the option for using part oat flour, and used sunflower seed butter…because that is the only nut butter I allow myself to keep in the house. Otherwise the jar is gone in a few days! I knew they would be good, but they are seriously one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. I can’t even imagine if I would make them with peanut butter!! I’d seriously have to eat the whole pan…especially after they sit for a about a day and get a little softer.

Thank you so much for all of the work you put into all of your recipes!! You are amazing!!!

151. Carolyn Moore says:

i was wondering….. Can I use honey as my sweetener?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sure you can.

152. Leesha says:

These are absolutely delicious and my little girl loves them too!

What is the best way to store them?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Fridge or freezer. Preferably freezer.

153. Allison says:

AMAZZZZING!!!! I made the chocolate sauce (sugar free) and it was amazing!!!

1. Allison says:

What I meant to say was that I made the Crisp Rice Bars with the sugar Free Chocolate sauce and they were amazzzzing!!!

154. Alissa S. says:

I just want you to know…you’ve been included in a list of dancer’s favorite homemade snacks on the blog of Discount Dance Supply :) way to go!