Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

For a work meeting yesterday, my roommate decided to bring a banana bread recipe she’d seen on my blog. I told her we should definitely make two, because banana bread makes the house smell so good…

polka dot banana bread

And if the house is going to start smelling so good it has me thinking about running to the oven and sticking my head inside, there is NO WAY I’m giving up that bread when it comes out. You’d have to pry it from my (tightly-shut) teeth.

So we made two loaves.

It was so good, we should’ve made three.

chocolate banana bread

With Chocolate polka dots.

Lots and lots of chocolate polka dots.

The best kind of polka dots.

Chocolate Chips: best things ever invented? Do you ever eat them plain, straight out of the bag? I like to do that with Ghirardelli 100% baking discs. Or Whole Foods dark chocolate mini chunks. Or… basically I’ve never met a vegan chocolate chip I didn’t like.

This gooey and delicious recipe is very similar to my other banana bread recipe… but better, because it has chocolate chips! I know a lot of you find it easier if I don’t make you click links, so here’s the recipe for the chocolate version:

This is the BEST banana bread recipe I have ever found... 16,000 repins! @choccoveredkt - It is a MUST try! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/02/polka-dot-banana-bread/

pin-it

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

(Polka Dot Banana Bread)

• 2 c spelt flour (or white flour or Arrowhead Mills gf)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 c oil OR milk of choice
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c agave or pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 tbsp more agave or sweetener of choice
  • 2 c tightly-packed, mashed banana, measured after mashing
  • 1/3 to 2/3 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix into dry. (Mix by hand, and don’t overmix.) Pour into a greased loaf pan and cook 35-50 minutes, depending on how gooey you want it. (Tip: If the top is cooked but the inside is still gooey, put tin foil over the top and continue to cook.) After removing from the oven, let cool for ten minutes before slicing. After the first day, this bread is best stored in the fridge. Or cut it into slices and freeze for later.

See original recipe for Banana Bread Calories + Nutrition Facts.

Link Of The Day:

The Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Pie

The Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Pie

Tags: , , , ,

1. Heck yes! Best thing ever! Looks great :)

2. Oooo- banana bread with chocolate chips… now i’ve just finished my lunch break at work and could really do with a little something sweet to finish it off!! My favourite choc chips? Montezuma’s dark chocolate buttons are amazing (do you have them over there?) Straight out of the bag is the best way, I tell myself that I will be ever so good and only have one…or two…but it doesn’t always work!

1. Hmmm nope, I don’t think I’ve ever seen those!

3. Emma says:

I used to just eat handfuls of chocolate chips, but I can’t anymore, Too sweet! But I have to say I am going to HAVE to make that banana bread!

4. Ali says:

Yum! I love the use of agave instead of sugar ;).

5. Your roomate was sweet to make two and to share. Is this the kindergarten teacher? Her sharing skills sound like she is a kindergarten teacher.
    BEAUTIFUL bread!

1. Haha no, that’s a different friend. :)

6. Of course! I love eating chocolate chips out of the bag! Gonna get bananas tomorrow for these! 😀

7. Chocolate chips are definitely one of the best things ever invented, right next to peanut butter! 😉 I eat chocolate chips all sorts of ways – out of the bag, in cookies, in breads, on ice cream, etc.

8. That is SUCH a cute idea! And who doesn’t love polka dots right??

9. SheilaBmarie says:

Made the original banana bread that you posted a few weeks ago again last night, with the few changes to make it GF. but this time, I turned it into muffins……you know, so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat the whole loaf 😀 well, at least maybe not as quickly this time! Anyway, they turned out great that way!

10. Amanda says:

I have my hand in the chocolate chip bag all too often. haha

I also made a banana bread recipe yesterday (sans choco chips). I subbed out some of the oil for pumpkin since I was out of applesauce, and made a fall-themed bread:

You’re right about it making your house smell incredible. :)

11. Aww too cute! How has the new apartment been for photographing? It looks like you get great light in there also!

12. Sarah says:

Ummm… i may or may not eat it straight from the bag. And i may or may not have just eaten the whole bag of chocolate chips i was supposed to use on another recipe. And i may or may not have punched my face when i saw that i needed chocolate chips for this recipe. All i’ll say is, my face REALLY hurts right now :)

13. Katy says:

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious! Banana chocolate chip bread used to be one of my favorite goodies to bake, especially in the fall, but I haven’t made it since going gluten-free. This situation must be remedied asap – especially if I keep looking at those photos! Thanks for the recipe.
    PS I finally found a place near me that sells Endangered Species bars. Yummm.

14. Blue says:

oh my that looks heavenly! but as a university student I need to mostly stick to single serving recipes, and doing the math on that one looks tricky…but maybe I’ll just have to eat the whole loaf then!

1. Oh lol I’ll save you from doing the extra math: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/02/18/banana-bread-for-one/

Ick extra math… 😉

15. Christelle says:

My boyfriend will love you for another banana recipe! He loves banana break, pancakes, oatmeal…everything, and I’ve been trying out a whole lot of different banana recipes lately. I’m sure he will love this one too!!

16. Megan says:

Oh man, I have got to make this. As a kid, I LOVED our chocolate chip banana bread! However, your’s is so much healthier. I think my mom’s recipe had tons of sugar and oil…typical “quick” bread. I haven’t seen their dark chocolate discs before! I have Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips and those are awesome. I had a chocolate chip banana vita top yesterday so your timing is impeccable. Thanks Katie!!

17. oh yum!! I love how it’s not chocolate chip banana bread, but rather polka dot banana bread! trés cute 😉

18. Melissa says:

OMG!! I have to make this today!! I just found your blog yesterday. And I am sooo glad I did!!! You are now up there with ohsheglows.com. You 2 have the best vegan recipes :)

1. Awwwwww! Melissa, thank you SO much! :)

19. Anita says:

I made the other banana bread, the one with strawberries and Oh. My. Goodness. talk about scrumptious – you are a life saver…… I have been recently diagnosed with severe food allergies and since finding your blog I think I can enjoy eating again – THANK YOU!

20. I keep meaning to try the banana bread recipe! I’ll have to make it happen this weekend!