Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Graham Crackers

healthy graham crackers

Healthy Graham Crackers… perfect for s’mores!

The first time I ever heard of a s’more was during a girl-scout camping trip. The troop leaders handed us each a skewered marshmallow and told us to have at it.

“What? You actually want me to stick the marshmallow into the white-hot flames?”

Yes, yes they did. And it was glorious. I especially loved when the marshmallows would catch fire and burn to a gorgeous black crisp. Of course the burnt mallows didn’t yield the tastiest results, but most of the fun of s’mores is making them.

vegan smores

These homemade & healthy graham crackers are so delicious they almost steal the show from the ooey-gooey filling. Almost. Once you try this homemade version, you’ll never want to go back to Nabisco again.

homemade smores

Healthy Graham Crackers

• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour (or white, or arrowhead mills gf will work, too)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 to 3 tbsp sucanat (or regular sugar)
  • 2 packets stevia (or 1/8tsp uncut), or 2 more tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp agave (or maple syrup or molasses)
  • 1/4 cup oil (See link for a lower-fat version. Also, I highly recommend unrefined coconut oil for this recipe, but I think vegetable oil would be fine.)
  • 2 tbsp water

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet in a separate bowl, then mix together. Form a ball with your hands (or, if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, put the mixture in a plastic bag and squish into a ball). Place the ball on a piece of wax paper, then place another sheet on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into very thin (graham-cracker) width. Cut into squares or cookie-cuttered shapes, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on whether you like your graham crackers super-soft or crispy. For vegan marshmallows: Sweet n Sarah and Dandies brands both make vegan marshmallows. But Ricemellow Cream (in the photos) and even Smuckers marshmallow fluff are also vegan.

If desired, top with chocolate or Hot Chocolate Butter.

homemade graham crackers

homemade crackers

Have you ever made a s’more?

S’mores remind me of cozy, warm campfires (a nice thought right now, since it’s 33 degrees outside.) And they remind me of singing silly songs while eating girl-scout cookies and burning more marshmallows than we ever actually consumed.

samoas-larabar_thumb

There’s already a recipe for Girl-Scout Cookie Larabars.

Maybe s’mores need to be next…

1. I’ve heard of smores before but I have never tried them because I’m not too big a fan of marshmallows! But that’s not going to stop me from trying this gorgeous recipe! 😀

1. Megan Holland says:

From a fellow marshmallow-hater, try making the marshmallows, too. They are super simple, mostly water, honey & gelatin (you could add flavor, if that would also help). On their own, these were still too sweet for me, but balanced with a 100% cacao square between two grahams as above–you may just like it! :)

2. I sued to love burning marshmallows! But I disagree with you, the black-burnt marshmallows tasted better than the lightly-toasted ones. And I never really went for the chocolate and graham, but ate the marshmallow by itself!

1. Amanda says:

I agree. I like mine kinda burnt!

3. Sarah says:

These look awesome! My youth group and i went to our pastor’s house for our monthly activity which also consisted of making smores over a bonfire in his woods while sitting on logs. SO fun! It was cool pretending to be in faraway woods… even though my pastor is right across the street from me :) We had choices too- raspberry marshmallows with a caramel chocolate square anyone? Yummy!
    Oh yeah, was it just me, or was there no post yesterday? I kept checking throughout the day, but nope! I hope you were okay!

1. Aww Sarah, you are SO sweet to ask!!! Seriously, it put a big smile on my face that someone noticed. You’re right: there was no post yesterday. I was pretty swamped with comments and emails, so I decided to give up posting for the day so I could tackle the inbox. I missed posting, though and don’t think I’ll do that again on a weekday for quite a while.

Also, um raspberry marshmallows? Wha??? Raspberry-chocolate smores sound insanely delicious!

1. Sarah says:

I’m so glad everything was alright! I know its not like you to not post unless something’s up, that’s why i was concerned. Also, the raspberry marshmallows were homemade :) with homemade ones you can make any flavor you like!

2. Leslie says:

I missed your post too. Glad to know all is well! I gotta have my daily dose of CCK ;). It sounds silly, but reading your delicious recipes always puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day!

3. Anna says:

Homemade marshmallows??? Those sound amazing!! Do you have the recipe, and if so, would you mind posting it? 😀

4. I can give you s’more ideas if you need them… HAHAHA! I think I’m pretty funny on a Friday! It’s the 3rd grade kids- they are getting to me!

5. Amanda says:

I love the Dandies brand of vegan marshmallows. Last time I bought them though, I ate the entire bag in about 2 days. Oops! 😉

6. Allie says:

I’ve just bookmarked this! I can’t wait to try making my own graham crackers–Im a graham cracker fiend 😀

7. Um, YUM! I’ve never had smores before (I don’t think we really have them much in the UK!) but that sounds AMAZING! Plus the smores Luna bar tastes amazing! 😛

8. Megan says:

That looks absolutely amazing! Especially the last picture where the s’more is all ooey, gooey, and melting. I haven’t had a s’more in awhile but I have most definitely had them! I always liked my mallows lightly toasted and golden. I haven’t been a huge fan of s’mores because they were soooo sweet (weird, because I like sweets). I had them at church bonfires and in the winter at our fireplace, because it is SO cold in Texas 😉 Have you seen the Sandlot? I always remember when one of them says, “How can I have s’more if I haven’t had any yet?”

1. Oh wow, it’s been so long since I saw that movie… all I remember is that they get chased by a huge dog lol!

9. I’ve always wanted to make my own graham crackers! Can’t wait to try these!

10. Gen says:

YUUM!! I love smores! 😀

11. How perfect! Smores within smores! :)

12. Andrea says:

I LOVE smores :) Is it bad that sometimes I’ll make a smore for a night time snack?!

13. Emily says:

I LOVE burnt marshmallows! Golden and toasty? No way. I like mine charred lol.
    Do you think these would work with GF flour?

1. Leslie says:

I just made them with Arrowhead Mills gf flour mix (which I’d actually purchased to make a different CCK recipe before I was distracted by this one this morning!). They are by far the best graham crackers I’ve ever eaten, so crunchy and sweet and perfect. So heck yeah, they work with GF flour!!!

14. I hateee burnt mallows! I always tried to get that perfect golden hue. For comment aboe about GF flour- my favorite substitute when there isn’t a gf option for smores is to just sandwich the marshmallow between two hunks of chocolate! Just as good, if not better 😉

15. I had my first s’more when I was a camp counselor in the US a few years ago – we don’t have them in Ireland! I actually like them a bit burnt :)

16. Mmm I LOVE s’mores! They are definitely a staple on our camping trips. We actually use Reese’s PB Cups instead of Hershey bars sometimes, and it’s amazingly delicious!

17. Oh gosh, smores are the BEST!!! 😀

18. Kit-Kat says:

I love S’Mores!!!!
    And I especially love Marshmallow fluff! It’s so much sweeter than regular marshmallows, so it is one of my all time favorites to have on my cocoa, frozen like ice cream and topped with any topping imaginable, or eaten straight out of a jar. I also love the taste and gooeyness of burnt black marshmallows. mmmmm! I think my only least favorite kind of ‘mallow was the rainbow icky kinds. Did you ever have those, and if so did you think they tasted bad, too?
    I’m so happy to see a vegan graham cracker recipe too, because most crackers out there are not vegan because they contain honey. Believe it or not, I will only have honey VERY RARELY, but being vegan, I try to avoid it as much as possible. SO THANK YOU FOR MAKING GOOD GRAHAM CRACKERS!!!! I’m going to try and add cocoa powder to the crackers, and then top them with sugar crystals to make them extra decadent…….. or keep the regular recipe and top with cinnamon sugar crystals.
    THANKS AGAIN!!!!

1. I don’t think I ever had those! I was always more interested in the chocolate than the marshmallow part ;).

19. we don’t have S’mores in the UK (i don’t think- unless i’ve been walking around blind for the last 28 years!) and we don’t have graham’s crackers either!! thought i think they may be a bit similar to a digestive biscuit. So, i could feel jealous of the fact i am missing out, or i could get up and do something about it and make my own…. maybe i’ll do my own British version of what would seem to be an American classic…. if i do, it will be on my blog and i’ll be sure to let you know! 😉

20. Hooooly yum!! I lovelovelove s’mores! Thank you for posting the vegan graham cracker recipe. It’s so simple & will help me for more than just s’mores in the kitchen :)

21. Of course you made your own graham crackers! 😉 This looks delicious, I love the flavor combo of a S’more! I also didn’t realize marshmallow fluff was vegan, good to know!

22. Moni'sMeals says:

Your crackers look soooo good Katie.
    I love smores! I make them about once a month… we have a fire pit in my backyard. It is so fun to do…a “camp fire” smore session smack dab in the middle of L.A.! ha.

23. Yum!! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

24. I lovelove smores! Hahah these look fantastic 😀

25. shea says:

omg i heart smores!! I made them as a kid. I also remember going to my grandmothers and she had smores that you microwave. I loved that because i was never allowed stuff like that at home.

26. Heaven!!! I’ve always wanted to make my own. I’ll definitely be trying these:D

27. I love camping and no trip is complete without s’mores. My brother used to purposely set the marshmallows on fire and pretend he had a torch:) I love adding peanut butter to my s’mores. Takes them over the top! Be careful using the vegan marshmallows over a campfire. I tried them once and because they didn’t have the gelatin they all just melted into the fire.

28. I like s’mores, but I like the marshmallow better! I usually would make half a s’more, and then just have marshmallows after that!

29. Alyssa says:

Yum!
    Sigh. :)
    Reminds me of my girl scout camping days.

30. THESE LOOK AMAZING! I’ve been looking for a healthy graham cracker recipe for FOREVER!! DO these get nice and crunchy like graham crackers?

31. Amber K says:

Is it possible that there are people that haven’t made a s’more? I’m so sad for them! They are quite delicious. I wish I could find good gluten-free graham-like crackers, because s’mores are too good to go without.

32. Jessica says:

I think I love you. Scratch that, I love you. Amazing!

33. This one looks yummy and easy to do. Will surely try this, plus its healthy. Rarely do you find a healthy and yummy alternative snack. :) Thank you for sharing this.

34. Yum! I must try this recipe. I love smores, but I usually buy the heavily processed, full of nasty things Keebler brand … because they’re the only ones that I can find that are vegan. :-(

35. Emilia says:

This looks amazing! I’m seriously trying to stop myself to run into my kitchen and make them right now :) I love making smores, though I think eating them is pretty fun too!

36. you know, ive never liked marshmallows, but for some reason when their in s’mores, LOVE.

37. I’ve made smores as a kid but not lately and never with homemade graham crackers. Great recipe…I want to try these!

38. Barb says:

Oh Katie, you are a chocolate-covered genius! I’m sitting here, eating a vegan s’more and it is DELICIOUS!
    I almost couldn’t even get the marshmallow fluff (I used smuckers because it’s all I could find here) onto the graham cracker, because the cracker itself is so good that I just wanted to eat it plain :)

39. Ellen says:

Oh man, these look brilliant! I haven’t had a graham cracker in an eon.
    I have made s’mores, but not since becoming vegetarian, do I’m all for you concocting a good vegan marshmallow recipe!

40. whitney says:

Ohh wow, I’m trying not to drool! These look amazing. :)

Whitney

41. Aja says:

I haven’t had smores in forever. I think I’ll have to make these!

42. I love s’mores! I was in Girl Scouts also, so I got plenty of practice making these! Actually, my family made some over the July 4th weekend, and we used my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies…instead of graham crackers. Yum!

43. Katie, thank you for this recipe!!!!! I was literally at whole foods earlier today about to buy some graham crackers, but then I thought, “you know, I should try making my own graham crackers.” And then I came to your site and literally almost jumped out of my shoes!!! THANK YOU KATIE!!!! 😀 😀

<3 <3

44. Karen says:

The first time I ever tried one of your recipes, I’ll admit I was hesitant. (For the record, it was the cookie dough dip.) But after one taste of that dip, you earned my trust, and now I’d trust you if you said the sky was purple! Recipe after recipe after recipe I’ve made, and each one has been better than the last. In short, you are amazing!

I made these this afternoon, because I had everything on hand so there was really no excuse. I loved them! And my three year old is eating another one right now! He loves them too! :) :)

45. Michele says:

I have a special request. 😉 I’d love to make a Key Lime Pie like your chocolate pie – vegan, with tofu. But I can’t find any recipes that don’t use instant vanilla pudding mix [I like to avoid the chemicals] or tofu cream cheese [my husband turns green at the thought]. Can you help, O Great Katie?

1. I can try… I do have a raw key lime pie recipe, though. And I know others have done it with avocado!

1. Michele says:

oooooooh Raw key lime pie! Please post if you get inspired 😉

2. It’s actually just a variation of this recipe that I posted a looooong time ago: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/03/05/30-seconds-to-raw-cheesecake/
        (The last ingredient in the recipe gives an option for key lime pie, and I made that option on my birthday a few years ago. I’m not sure it would qualify as “traditional” key lime pie, but I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever had real key lime pie!)

46. ashley says:

I had a s’more today made with a granola bar. It was awesome! Never would have thought of doing that but it is worth a try!

47. Charissa says:

Looks SO good! You never cease to amaze me. :)

48. Jess says:

cool idea! i’m so hungry right now… i love burnt marshmallows though :)

49. Kara says:

Oh my gosh.
    I would LOVE to turn this into a graham cracker crust..
    And I would then put a pie in it.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

50. Laura says:

These were delicious! Thanks for another great recipe. The only change I made was to add a little extra cinnamon because I always liked the cinnamon graham crackers best. Yum!