Skinny Snickerdoodles

healthy snickerdoodles

These healthy snickerdoodle cookies are so soft they could be pillows.

Snickerdoodle cookie pillows.

And then we could have a snickerdoodle pillow fight, with sugary cookie dough flying in every direction. Mmm yes, a snickerdoodle pillow fight. How yummy would that be?!

vegan snickerdoodles

Sweet and buttery pillow cookies…

skinny snickerdoodles

I promise the snickerdoodles do not taste healthy. But don’t take my word for it; try them for yourself. My friends couldn’t get enough of these!

Skinny Snickerdoodles - vegan and secretly good for you, they melt in your mouth http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/08/skinny-snickerdoodles/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Skinny Snickerdoodles

• 3/4 cup ww pastry flour or white flour (See below for notes on a gluten-free option)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt (just under level)
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tarter (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar or sucanat or evaporated cane juice (xylitol might work, but I haven’t tried)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons milk of choice
  • 1/4 cup “butter” of choice, such as Earth Balance (I haven’t tried a lower-fat butter sub in this recipe, so I don’t know if that would work.)

Preheat oven to 330 F. Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. In a separate bowl, melt the butter of choice, then stir in vanilla and milk. Pour dry into wet and mix again. Form balls. For true snickerdoodles, roll each ball in a mix of cinnamon and sugar (either equal parts OR two parts sugar to one part cinnamon, depending on how cinnamon-y you want your cookies). If you want soft cookies, you’ll need to get the balls very cold. (So roll the balls, cover in the cinnamon-sugar, then fridge until cold.) Cook for 9-10 minutes. They’ll look way underdone when you take them out, but that’s ok.

I haven’t tried these with a gf mix, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. (Edit: if you read the comments, many commenters have successfully tried different gf versions.) In the meantime…

These are gluten-free: Snickerdoodle Blondies.

As for the vegan snickerdoodles: they will keep at least four days, in a lidded plastic container. (As a general rule, you should store soft cookies in plastic containers and crispy cookies in glass ones.)

snickerdoodles

Link Of The Day:

Peanut Butter Protein Cookies – 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup protein powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp… Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/12/14/peanut-butter-protein-cookies-vegan/ @choccoveredkt

Peanut Butter Protein Cookies

Tags: ,

1. Jera says:

LOL when I was in first grade, I was in the lunch room with all my friends and we were all whispering conspiratorially about starting a food fight. I had the audacity to chuck a little nick of my food across the room, and thank goodness it didn’t hit anyone… and thank goodness a teacher didn’t see! That school was a very strict, old-fashioned one (there was no spanking, but just about everything was outdated. And they had a rule that you had to clean your plate to go to lunchtime recess! I wouldn’t eat red beans for years after that school).

2. Name the date, time and location for the cookie pillow fight and I’m there.
    Love the tip about storing cookies – I had no idea that you should keep crispy cookies in a glass container and soft cookies in a plastic one!

3. Jennie says:

I can’t wait to try this! They look super yummy…and light, fluffy cookies are the best.

And now, I’m going to say something will probably not be understood by most people: I’m not a huge fan of chocolate. There! I said it – I’d much rather have caramel, BUT if chocolate is the only thing available…well then, beggars can’t be choosers! 😉

Thanks for another awesome looking (non chocolate) recipe, Katie!

1. Jessie says:

I’m not a chocolate fan,either!

4. i would just stand there with my mouth wide open in a cookie fight…

5. Yum! I may be trying out a GF option like… today! 🙂

6. tea-bagginit says:

a cookie pillow fight would only be good if it was a good baker – no one wants a hard-as-rock-cookie fight! i might try these w/ some protein powder mixed in!

7. Oh,Katie,you’re priceless! I am so happy right now because I ADORE snickerdoodles and now,I can try a new recipe and aaaaw thank you so much! 😀

8. Awesome! I was hoping the cookie of the day would be snickerdoodles. Not only are they a tasty cookie, but the cinnamon and vanilla make the whole kitchen smell sooooo good!

9. cookie pillow FIgHT? ahahh that is mega lolz- id love it!… bring the cookies on!

10. I have never had a snickerdoodle before…major confession! Think it must be an American tradition as I have never had them back home in Cayman or up here in Canada, where I live now…but they sure do look delish?

11. Gen says:

Yum! Snickerdoodles aren’t my favorites, but I wouldn’t turn down a cookie! 😀

12. Megan says:

Yay Snickerdoodles! These are so cute! You could always add chocolate and they would be similar to Mexican chocolate cookies due to the cinnamon. Thanks for posting these! Speaking of Snickerdoodle blondies, I am considering making a mini batch of your blondies because I have a random amount of white beans and I remember how absolutely delicious your recipe is…

13. Ruthiey says:

I’m totally in the mood for snickerdoodles. 🙂

14. Those sound AMAZING!!!! You could always dip them in chocolate syrup. 🙂

15. Amy says:

I’m not on a diet/trying to lose weight either but I have never ever had a snickerdoodle cookie before!
    I have had your snickerdoodle oatmeal but not the cookies!
    So into the kitchen I go 😀

16. Krysten says:

Yeah, this is happening tonight. No questions asked. I absolutely ADORE snickerdoodles! My fiance is obsessed with cinnamon, too, so that’s perfect!

17. Emma says:

They are in the oven now. The dough is delicious!!!

1. Emma says:

Verdict?
      Best cookie I have ever eaten.

People, if you see this comment, go make these cookies. Drop whatever it is your doing! Make them now and you won’t regret it!!!

2. Rose says:

Yes! I used coconut oil instead of vegan butter and then I refrigerated the small balls dough. They firmed up and were delicious! Pretty much cookie dough truffles.

18. Snickerdoodles are one cookie I often overlook, even though I love cinnamon. These look delightful!

19. Katherine says:

Hmm, I’m not going to lie, my snickerdoodle cookies have become famous among my family. My boyfriend requests them every time I offer to bake for him. However, I may have to give your recipe a shot and test it against mine. This means I’ll have to bake 4-5 batches of cookies…but hey, not a bad thing, right? 😀

PS, if you haven’t tried Spiral Diner’s snickerdoodles, they’re the bomb. However, I could just be biased because I love all things cinnamon sugar.

1. Becky @ Skinnyfat Girls says:

Agreed – they ARE the bomb!

1. I haven’t tried them yet! I’m not a big fan of their cake, but I ADORE their brownies! I’ll have to look for the snickerdoodles.

20. Those look great! I’ve never actually had a snickerdoodle