Vegetables that are Addictive

Can vegetables be addictive??

According to the October issue of Vegnews magazine, frying is the only cooking method that can make a vegetable addictive.

cauliflower nuggets

The writer’s obviously never tried Cauliflower “Chicken” Nuggets.

My roommate has decided that recipe is her newest-favorite way to eat vegetables. On a recent trip to the grocery store, I found giant heads of cauliflower on sale for $1.99 each, so I turned them all into cauliflower “chicken” nuggets yesterday, and we couldn’t stop eating them!

Yes, veggies can definitely be addictive.

barbecue cauliflower

In a big, red bowl…

It’s like KFC, only better!

And now, for your viewing pleasure, photos of the other veggie lovers in my life:

heat dish

sleeping man

As it turns out, Batman was very well-named. At night he likes to burrow under the covers and sleep at the bottom of the bed. Like a bat in a dark cave… I don’t know how he can breathe!

Question of the Day:

Are there any veggies you could eat all day long?

Roasted sweet potatoes? Raw carrot sticks? Or maybe you’re even addicted to salad? Did you know there exists a surefire way to make any vegetables addictive?

Completely cover them in Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing.

I challenge any veggie-hater to just try and resist a plate of caramelized, roasted veggies covered in that addictive ranch dressing. Just try.

Tomorrow: cookies!!

Tags: , ,

1. Jess says:

Definitely carrots. I typically go through 2-3 lbs. of them a week!

1. Rande McDaniel @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen says:

Agree! But I’ll go through at least that many in a day 😉 Oh how my juicer loves the carrots.

2. Kara says:

Have you ever turned orange from eating that many carrots? I am in love with them too, except I ODed on them a few months ago. I had been eating my favorite squash soup (lots of beta carotene) and lots of carrots for snack (even more beta carotene) and i literally turned an orangey yellow color. It was mostly on my palms and soles, but it was definitely noticeable. I guess the saying is true “You are what you eat!” If you want to see a picture check out my blog. 🙂

1. Blair says:

I was big on carrots for baby food apparently–there are a number of pictures of me with an orange nose.

2. maausi says:

Two years ago in winter I was orange all over for a few months, my skin literally had an orange tint to it. I guess eating too much kabocha/buttercup/red kuri squash plus carrots is just beta carotene overload. It went away when I stopped eating tons of carrots and squash in the spring/summer. 😀
        But every winter, my palms get the orange tint again – I just love squash so much.

2. Esther says:

I’ve been craving leafy greens – any leafy greens for weeks now. I can’t stop eating them. In any preparation.

I suppose this is not a bad problem to have…. 🙂

3. I could easily eat baked sweet potato fries all day, every day. I’m on a spinach kick right now, too!

4. Jessica says:

I could eat spinach all day long. I go through a container of spinach less than a week!

5. Carol says:

Got to try these. Could use a veggie addiction. Right now it’s ice cream and would love to move away to veggies!

6. alex says:

Brussels sprouts! Especially roasted with coconut oil and cinnamon the way you posted about before 🙂 delish when fresh and maybe even better cold from the fridge the next day.

1. Leslie says:

Mmmm me too!

7. Roasted green beans, roasted asparagus, and roasted carrots I could eat all day long 🙂 Whenever I make those items I’ll carefully tuck away the leftovers after I serve myself but before I start eating my dinner so I’m not tempted to go back for seconds/thirds/fourths and give myself a stomach ache!

8. Claire says:

What yumminess do you have drizzled over these guys?

1. Claire says:

Thank you!

9. Erin says:

I absolutely love salad. I went to a summer program at a college where they had this really awesome salad bar with like, the greatest assortment of veggies ever. I was there for three weeks and got an awesome salad literally everyday for lunch (except one day in which I got soup, and deeply regretted the loss of a meal I could have had salad). That college (Penn) is my first choice now… partially because of the salads.

1. Laura says:

I go to Penn! (I assume you are referring to UPenn). The salad bars are pretty awesome. Let me know if you have any questions!

10. Crafty lil vegan says:

I am absolutely addicted to salad! I can, and often do, eat it at every meal! Lettuc wrap for breakfast.. bowl of salad for lunch, and salad with my dinner! I even ave salad on my soup.. I can easily go through a large iceberg in 2 days, and I love spinach and rocket (arugula). I love my veggies just slightly cooked so they still have their crunch, or raw, and covered in homemade spicy sauce amd toasted seeds – Yum!

11. Q says:

I really wish you would stop redirecting us to old recipes and tons of compilations. If anything, at least copy over the recipe. It looks tacky and it would be much better if you posted new recipes for us less frequently than spawning the same stuff over and over again.

1. Q,
      I work very hard on my blog posts each day. Sometimes I like to highlight an old recipe so it doesn’t go forgotten forever… because I work so hard on my posts. But I take new photos and am blogging about my day. I really don’t see how that is tacky. I also don’t see how it’s so complicated to click on one link. It’s not like I’m directing you to three different places to get a recipe; posting it over again would be redundant.

1. Emma says:

As a new reader, I really appreciate when you blog about older recipes, because I probably never saw them originally!
        Plus, I always jump at the chance to see new photos :). You take the best photos!
        (Ignore the troll. She’s probably just some immature 14 year old!)

2. Leslie says:

I agree with Emma. Unless this person is paying you (and I don’t think she is), who is she to criticize what you post? It’s your blog!

Also, I missed this recipe the first time around, and I’m so happy to see it now. You’ve just inspired my dinner! My three kiddos thank you, too :).

3. Trish says:

Q, sweetheart…you obviously need a hug or something. Perhaps a glass of wine or a shot of patron, that may help calm your nerves? Or maybe one of CCK’s desserts? They make ME smile, don’t know about you. Yes, you are allowed to have your own opinion, but this isn’t a political debate blog or anything controversial where you see commenters going back and forth, bashing each other. This blog is filled with a tremendous amount of love and light-heartedness from the author, so you might want to rethink your ‘tone’ or at least contact Katie privately and address this ‘matter’ that you think is so annoying. But I think it’s safe to say you’ll be outnumbered, and usually majority rules. And Q, I would ask if you have your browser set up so that that the links open up posts in new tabs? This is how I have mine set up, so I am definitely not going from post to another if I am clicking on a link in the middle of posting that is highlighting an older recipe.

I think her blogging style is anything BUT tacky. In fact, I was just thinking yesterday that as my own blogs grows, I’m going to take some tips from CCK and also link over to old recipes and posts. This helps introduce your newer readers, like me, to older things that have been done that we might not otherwise take the the time to go back and search for or even things that faithful followers may have skipped over. I’m grateful she’s done it this way because I’ve been able to compare things and take notes and print out lots of stuff to try.

This reminds me of a review that was left on Amazon. I can’t remember her name, but the lady who was named PETA’s sexiest vegan over 50, the lady who is like 70 something and looks amazing, has a vegan cookbook, and some girl said liked the recipes but hated the fact that the author wrote things like her stance against animal cruelty and included her own politics and went on to brag how she even just purchased a new fur coat (okay, whatever…I think she was young and looking to gain attention or start a cyber-fight, but anyway…). Now although I would never in a million years support PETA (because I think it’s tacky how they attack celebrities who eat meat and wear fur—that’s their business, even if we do not agree with it—and PETA themselves have been under fire in recent years for what they are really doing behind the scenes when their own shelters become overcrowded), I left a comment and reminded the reviewer that this lady wrote that book, therefore she can put in it whatever she pleases. It’s HER book. (And I’ll clarify by saying I support numerous other animal rescue groups and have volunteered with local ones here in my own city–I just won’t support PETA, and no disrespect to anyone who does…it’s just that I’ve done my research and learned things that didn’t sit well with me…) Let me get off my scolding box and just end by saying I really appreciate this blog, I appreciate Katie and all the effort she’s put into creating this blog and testing these recipes for us. It has really been a blessing for me. I deal with a thyroid auto-immune disease that was under control for a long time but has recently flared up, and it’s not been easy giving up desserts, although I do make them healthier than most when baking for myself, and the lower-sugar and lower-fat options have really helped me to not feel deprived.
        –Trish xoxoxo

1. Lauren says:

Trish, I loved reading your comment, and the part about the patron made me laugh. Your comment was so well-written, and I agree 100% with every single thing you wrote!

1. Trish says:

Hey, patron works for me, lol! 😉

4. Paula's Plate says:

I disagree Q, I think Katie’s occasional re-posting is great; it either introduces me to delicious recipes that I had not yet stumbled across, or it reminds me of tasty treats that I had forgotten about and am inspired to make again. I think it’s awesome Katie, keep it up!

2. anonymous says:

what a b*tch! sorry, just had to say it. CCK obviously puts a lot of thought and effort into her blog, writing posts, taking photos, making recipes, and answering stupid comments from people like you! if all that’s not good enough for you (who’s not paying her a single cent to take anvantage of her hard work), why don’t you stop reading and go start your own blog and see if you can do any better. i guarantee you can’t.

3. Cammy says:

Q sweetie- its a FREE country- if you don’t like a blog layout- why are you wasting your time and energy reading it

4. Rebecca says:

Although Q might have went about it in the wrong way, she was most likely just trying to state her opinion/preference. CCK often asks for readers’ input at the end of her posts.

Again, Q’s opinion could have *definitely* written more politely, but let’s give him/her the benefit of the doubt instead of attacking her right back.

5. This blog is amazing, and Katie is obviously doing something right since she has over 17,000 likes on Facebook!!^^

1. Aww Patty, thank you so much!

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Trish, you ROCK!!! And Q, um… you don’t. Trish, i agree 110% with ya, even the PETA part. Boy are you right about them! You go girl!

2. Ohmygoodness…no thanks needed!! You put a tremendous amount of effort, creativity, and pride into maintaining and updating your website~you absolutely deserve to be recognized for your talents, not rained upon.

*This vegan blog doesn’t need any “bad eggs” spoiling the DELICIOUS posts!!^^*

12. These look great!!! I could eat brussels sprouts or eggplant all day! Love ’em!

13. Lucy says:

Red peppers 🙂

14. Sarah S. says:

Roasted broccoli! I imagine that I’ll really like this cauliflower 🙂 Thanks for the tip! I also could eat bowls and bowls of sweet green peas <3

15. I love sugar snap peas…plain, with hummus, in a stir-fry. I could eat pounds and pounds of them. I just love that crunch with the little sweetness. Yummy!

16. michelle says:

Yes roasted anything…fennel lately
    …gotta try your sauce tho

17. I’ll crave vegetables at times, but I definitely don’t find any veggies particularly addicting. Cookies are a whole different story!

18. Yellow Haired Girl says:

Definitely roasted sweet potatoes. I’d cross the Sahara for a bowl. And I’m OBSESSED with the cold leftovers…I’ll just pluck them out of the bowl, no problem, which can lead to …. an empty bowl.

19. Guest says:

I was going to ask if that was hot sauce in the photo, but then I saw that you said it was bbq. Just wondering, have you tried it with hot sauce? Oh my gosh, it’s pure heaven. I dry roast the little nibs until they’re nice and golden (okay, a little darker than that. I can’t help it, I like the char lol), place them in a bowl pour hot sauce on them. Then I just put a lid/plate over the bowl and shake to coat. I could eat that all day!

..well, I would it cauliflower didn’t leave me so, um.. gassy hahaha.

1. I haven’t! When I was little, I didn’t like anything spicy… I should really try it now, though. Do you have a favorite brand?

1. Guest says:

My favorite brand (well, the only brand I’ve ever tried – I’m only a recent hot sauce convert myself) is Tapatio Hot Sauce. I’m not 100% sure if it’s vegan, but looking at the ingredients “water, red peppers, salt, spices, garlic, acetic acid, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate” I wouldn’t see why not.

I love it with everything; veggies, in soup, on bread (as part of a wrap or just a plain topping haha).

1. Amy says:

OHMYGOSH (sorry, reading through an old post and this caught my eye)! My husband does not like anything with a vinegar taste . . .except Balsamic, yes he’s weird, but LOVES Tapatio Hot Sauce. He also mixes it with Ketcup, yes NOT healthy kind, and eats it on . . .well, this is a vegan site, so you know what I mean! I love it on eggs in the morning. We aren’t vegan, but LOVE CCK recipes 🙂

20. Mozzie says:

i’m a crazy green-eater – lettuce, spinach, cabbage, zucchini (which is in fact a fruit)….. lots of things 😀